A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jul 1 2006, 07:56 AM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Post Collecting Highlight (22) - The Dragondex by Wendy Glasser

Anne McCaffrey: A Dragondex and Bibliography by Wendy Glasser (the dragondex) and Andrew Adams Whyte (the biblio) was published at the same time as A Time When, for Anne's appearance at Boskone 12 in 1975.

The Dragondex & Bibliography was published by Paratime Press in Cambridge, in February 1975. It is a simple staple-bound booklet the size of a standard US typing sheet (8.5"x11"), and was sold for $1 US at Boskone.

The number published/sold is unknown, but I suspect it was a limited run, probably more limited than A Time When's 800 copies despite the cheaper price. There were only 935 attendees of Boskone 12, and they surely weren't all raging Pern fans. But this is just speculation on my part.

The Dragondex was added to later editions of the Dragonriders of Pern trilogy (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon), and a copyright notation in those books credits Wendy Glasser. The Dragondex includes not just a list of a characters, but a dictionary of Pernese terms, a list of Weyrs and the Holds that are protected by them, Pernese oaths, and a few other lists.

About the bibliography, I know nothing as I do not own a copy of this item! Perhaps someone else here does and can enlighten us? It may be a simple listing of published books or a full listing of all editions; it may just cover Pern or may be for all of Anne's publications....

Currently I could find no copies available for sale of this item, and I don't think I ever have. Is this the holy grail of Pern collecting?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Hans; Jul 3 2006 at 03:08 PM.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1 2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (22) - The Dragondex by Wendy Glasser

I haven't seen a copy available ever since I started collecting (and not even before that) It's very rare!

I'd love to have a real good scan of the cover.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1 2006, 04:30 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Becky, how about you, you've been collecting a lot longer than either one of us.... Ever see one? Have one?
Old Jul 1 2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I sure hope she has one in the huge bag of goodies that she owns !!!! Then we could all see what one looks like.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3 2006, 12:23 AM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Alas, no copy in my collection. I've been looking for it for years! If anyone finds one of those it will be very exciting! I do hope that someone somewhere will find the leftover ones that didn't sell and put them out for us avid collectors. Oh, to have been there, and purchase one for a buck! Can't imagine how much one would go for now. Cheryl, yes possibly the holy grail for collectors!
Old Jul 3 2006, 01:02 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh no!!! Becky, you don't have one of those ??? It surely must be the "HOLY

GRAIL" , then if you haven't seen it either . I can only imagine how hot the internet

wires will be, when some one we know finds one of those little jewels.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jul 3 2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Is it known how many were made?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 3 2006, 11:50 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I don't think so -- Hargreaves gave no indication, nor did websites with info on Boskone 12.
Old Jul 3 2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Since it was made for a convention it might be safe to think in the direction of hundreds rather than thousands... which would also explain why we never see it around

Having said that... we do see books of which only a few are available in some rare states...

Old Jul 3 2006, 04:13 PM   #10
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Note in the CH I say that the attendance at the Con was around 900 people, and point out that surely all of them were not expected to be Pern fans who would be interested in the Dragondex, so yeah, definitely in the hundreds not thousands. I think just a couple hundred is reasonable.
Old Jul 3 2006, 04:33 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Though it says "First printing" Hargreaves does not indicate later printings; so what do you all think. Nine hundred at max, more likely about 300-400 booklets in existence, max?

Old Jul 3 2006, 11:29 PM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

More likely 200-500 were made. They'd probably expect around 1000 in attendance and figure half or less may want one. So to me, under the 500 in number.
Old Jul 3 2006, 11:30 PM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I don't understand why no one has seen, or heard of and exisiting copies. You would think someone would want to brag that they have one. Perhaps someone should try to get hold of Wendy Glasser, and ask her if she knows what happened to the unsold copies ??? Maybe she kept a copy for herself, and she would know where we could find a copy ???

Old Jul 4 2006, 02:43 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm ahead of you Maelin I googled Wendy Glasser and did find some but nowhere with a clear indication that I had the right person...

Old Jul 4 2006, 11:22 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, that is great to hear, lets hope that whoever you got a hold of is the right person, and she will answer you with all of what we want to know. At least I can hope so.