A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jun 20 2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight (21) - Ireland of the Welcomes

This is my first Collector's Highlight, so bear with me.

There are two Ireland of the Welcomes magazines with articles by Anne. They are: Vol 26 #4 July-August 1977 and Vol 27 #6 November-December 1978. Original price 35p, $1.75 US. I found these several years ago and don't remember what I paid for them. I got 6 issues in the purchase and kept them all. They are really interesting to read over.

The first article is titled - "A Change of Hobbit". This is a two page telling of why Anne lives in Ireland. She had just purchased the house in County Wicklow and named it Dragonhold. "A pleasant custom, that, naming houses. Much more agreeable than being another number on a street of identical houses." She says that living in Ireland is "very good for me as a writer." That imagination is rampant in everyday life in Counties Dublin and Wicklow and that there is a more specific use of the English language. There is a way of putting words together like, "Sure your face is as long as a wet week."
I know that I enjoy how Anne puts words together, so I'm pretty sure that Ireland most certainly is good for Anne as a writer.

The second article is titled - "My Bold Irish Lad". This tells of how Anne acquired Mr Ed, better known as Horseface. Most of us have read or heard of Mr Ed and it's nice to read how Anne answers an ad stating, "Available - a heavyweight hunter for the rest of the season. Phone....." and ends up with him the rest of his life. She focuses on doing all she can to keep Mr Ed before the Dragonriders series allowed her to buy a house with enough land to build a "horse-house" for Ed. I love the last line of the article... "It could only have happened in Ireland!" And for Anne that is the truth.

(sorry for the flash glare, but you get the majority of the covers)

These magazines are hard to find and then if you do happen to find the magazine listed anywhere you have to be sure they are the right issues! It may take a while, but well worth the wait and the hunt to find them.
Old Jun 21 2006, 02:57 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Collectors Highlight (21) - Ireland of the Welcomes

That old sail on the modern dinghy is a real hoot. Nice to have a non-fiction Collecting Highlight!

And with her first Collecting Highlight I congratulate Becky on joining what must be one of the most exclusive sub-clubs in Anne McCaffrey fandom

Well done Becky and thanks for a very interesting article

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2006, 07:35 AM   #3
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Very interesting indeed!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2006, 09:16 AM   #4
SuzyQ
Ssli

Fan of: Talents
Now Reading: Need more time!

Well done indeed! I love it!

There is just SO much interesting information out there and just when I begin to believe that I was getting close to owning most of her works it seems to just explode with more options again!

Thanks Becky
SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2006, 10:47 AM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Becky, was kind enough to copy the articles, and send them to me,

and I have to say they were every bit as interesting as she says they

are. Thank you so very much for the wonderful copies,

and the honor of sharing them with me . I have put them into my

collection, until someday I can hopefully find a copy of the magazines

myself.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Just keep searching now and again for them. They don't crop up often but when they do you want to be the one to grab 'em!
Old Jun 22 2006, 12:14 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

You betcha, I will be looking for them, I really liked those stories. Thanks Becky!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote