A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 29 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default I fuorilegge di Pern!

Doesn't that sound grand? Tonight, when I came home from work a little book awaited me I ordered from Italy over a month ago! (The guy thought I hadn't paid him but I did and had to remind him).

Fuorilegge di Pern is the Italian translation of The Renegades of Pern, whom some think ne of the worst Pern books but which I very much liked, especially from an archivist's point of view (so much info in this book!)
This is the cheaper softcover paperback edition by Editione Mondadori published in 1993 under the Urania label and for its age it is in an absolutely wonderful state, especially since it is one of those cheap made paperbacks (like the old pulp magazines!) Rather unusual is that the page format is in two columns, so it reads like a very long newspaper article An Urania book is published every other week, so I suppose it really is more like a pulp magazine than a book
The translation is by G.L. Staffilano and the cover art by Oscar Chichoni.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader
Default Re: I fuorilegge di Pern!

Congrats on getting a new book for your collection!

Maybe I'm just extremely bad at recalling what happened in the book, but.... what's up with the spaceship-thingy on the cover?
Old May 29 2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

it's a little freedom the illustrator took I suppose because there's no spaceship featured in Renegades (which is about Lady Thella of Telgar and her bandits, and is the first book in which we encounter Jayge and Aramina, remember?)

Now the artist could have tried to link the dragon(s) to one of the colonists ships but that certainly isn't the main plot of Renegades

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2006, 04:40 PM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

yeah, could be! could be the shuttle that Jaxom found!
nice book Hans!
Old May 29 2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Hmmm, interesting cover indeed. The musclature on the dragon is rather shocking. Reminds me of anatomy books, you know, where the skin has been removed and you see the muscles and tendons? It's almost like the dragon doesn't have any skin.

Hans, do you know if there are any foreign language translations of The Coelura? (never thought to ask you that before)
Old May 29 2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

WOW!!! Hans, this is a real interesting book. I am so glad that I don't have to read it, not formated the way that it is.

I have also heard that there are a lot of people that didn't care for the Renagades of Pern, but I loved it, and how it went back and forth with the story, drawing the two closer and closer. It was very exciting to me, and Thella was down right terrifying. I think Anne wrote her magnificently as the proud, and insane woman villian.

I generally read it once a year, and yes it is filled with interesting characters.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Hmmm, looking at this dragon again......am I seeing correctly? But is there a bit in the dragon's mouth and reins back to the rider???? Now that's something I never even thought about having on a Pern dragon!
Old May 30 2006, 10:35 AM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Yes you are seeing right Becky, I saw that and had to laugh with would happen when the dragon let loose with some flame to fight the thread with, snap there go the bridle and reins.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2006, 01:35 AM   #9
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
Yes you are seeing right Becky, I saw that and had to laugh with would happen when the dragon let loose with some flame to fight the thread with, snap there go the bridle and reins.
Agree, Maelin! That and the fact that it might just hinder the flame itself a bit! Horrors!!!