A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Feb 2 2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (10) - The Girl Who Heard Dragons

This thread was accidentally deleted and restored completely on 02.02.2006 20.43 GMT

Restored, originally posted 14.01.2006, 02:59 PM GMT

This time I’ll present you with a real collectors item; expensive too

This year it will be twenty years Turns ago that the short story A Girl Who Heard Dragons was first published. Now we probably all have this book in a hardback or paperback collection-of-short-stories edition (Tor) and many of you won’t even know that it also exists in two, very rare, special editions. The first publication of this book consisted out of only 199 copies (I wonder what ever happened to that one that would have made a full 200 probably a misprint, which would be incredibly rare and valuable).

This edition was published by the famous Cheap Street publishing house in New Castle in 1986. To this first edition there were to, so called “states”, all copies of both states were signed by author and artist.

There was the “Publishers Edition” with ¼ leather bounding on the spine and board corners with the rest of the boards being covered in paper matching the endpapers. The spine had gold foil lettering stamped on it. It holds illustrations by by Judy King-Rieniets and was presented in a cloth covered tray case. Of this “state” 7 lettered and 55 numbered copies were made and hopefully exist to this day.

Yes, that only makes 62 copies There was also the “Collectors Edition” which had 5 lettered and 132 numbered copies. This editions however was bound in brown cloth with a paper strip stamped with the author’s name and affixed to the spine. It has brown endpapers. It has the same illustrations as mentioned above and was also presented in a slipcase, covered with the same cloth as the book.

I had never even seen a good photograph of this book until I discovered it on a shelf in Anne’s workroom in Dragonhold-Underhill in Ireland
Imagine my delight to find a little chronology, of the Pern story which gives the book its title, printed in the book. A little list that is just a treasure for a Pern Master Archivist / genealogist; a little list that does not appear in any of the later mass market editions. In my honest opinion it holds mistakes, but then... Still, it’s official, it's Anne’s and some dates can be used. This is how I knew the exact Turn in which K’van Impresses Heth, and other dates were written somewhere black-on-white although you can also deduce it

A discrepancy that must be mentioned is that Anne’s edition (which seems to be one of the 62 of the “Publisher Edition” (but dratted me forgot to copy if it was a lettered or numbered one) gives 1985, New Castle, Virginia, US as year and place of publication and not 1986 as Hargreaves (p. 98) gives.

You’re a die hard Pern fan and you want to see the list? Alright, here it is

Fax takes Ruatha 2395
Dowell leaves hold 2396
Aramina born Tillek 2401
Fax dies, Lessa to Benden 2405
Dowell hears news 2406
Works 3 Turns at Keroon 2408
F’lar Weyrleader 2408
Begin 9th Pass 2408
Aramina hears dragons 2409
Dowell working in Keroon for 2 more Turns 2411
K’van Impresses Heth 2412
Dragonquest events begin
Dowell moves to Igen 2413
Mirrim Impresses Path 2414
Jaxom Impresses Ruth 1415
Present time for Aramina 2415
Accident to wagon 2416

When you search for this edition on the internet Amazon will list a couple of them that go for a price of well over 2000 US dollars (ships within 3-5 days… yeah, sure).
More realiable, and even rarer than the books mentioned abobve, is the one copy that is currently being offered by bookseller Barry R. Levin through www.abebooks.com for “a mere” 1200 US dollars (677 UK pounds / 991 Euros) excl. $ 3.75 Postage!! Mind you, this seems to be one of an ultra rare set of 7 copies of an uncorrected proof not listed in even Hargreaves. A fact for which authenticity I can't vouch of course. The seller's is not totally clear and does mention 7 copies, which is also exactly the limitation for the "Publisher's Edition" lettered set, although the appearance of the copy he offers is that of the "Collectors Edition". Ah well, if you're interested in buying you'll probably phone the seller Interested? Click here. It is a very expensive but very, very highly collectible book in any case, in any edition and in any condition *sigh* That is, if you have the money available for such a deals of course

All in all a beautiful story (even though many fans hold Aramina in low regards, which I do not) by a beautiful author in a beautiful edition. This edition beats the Easton Press editions (which I actually think are rather ugly) of Anne's books hands down! Special thanks to Cheryl for coming when I called and taking the pictures

Cheryl, why didn't we take a picture of the title page?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Feb 2 2006 at 03:43 PM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (10) - The Girl Who Heard Dragons

Restored, originally posted 15.01.2006, 10:01 PM GMT

I am extremely lucky and proud to own one of the Collector's Edition copies of the book, which I found for a steal online. It did not come with a slip case, which Hargreaves indicates it should have... I'm also a little baffled by the notation on the umm Special Edition Description page (yes I made that name up, I don't know what else to call it), which is found in the back of the book and lists my copy as "PC". This may mean it's one of the 5 lettered copies, but I would have thought those were lettered A thru E... It could also mean Proof Copy or Presentation Copy...

Later today, when my kids are in bed and it's safe to get my copy out (gosh I feel like I should store it in a vault), I will take some pictures and post them here.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Cheryl; Feb 2 2006 at 03:40 PM.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 28.01.2006, 10:48 AM GMT

Oh, pics of your copy would be marvelous...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Feb 2 2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 28.01.2006, 12:33 PM GMT

Goodness, but I keep forgetting to make those pics! *bad hostie!*

Old Feb 2 2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 28.01.2006, 04:03 PM GMT

Last edited by Hans; Feb 2 2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 28.01.2006, 07:22 PM GMT

Cover (the really light parts of the wood grain are gilded):

Title Page:

Copyright Page:

Edition Page:

Old Feb 2 2006, 03:21 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 28.01.2006, 10:11 PM GMT

Great pictures! Thank you!

Last edited by Hans; Feb 2 2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 29.01.2006, 02:41 AM GMT

A new copy has shown up online for sale....for a mere $2567.05

*closes other browser window before she again at the price*

Old Feb 2 2006, 03:22 PM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 29.01.2006, 03:02 AM GMT

I think I shall contact the seller and ask about the details of the book, as amazon's used book listings are beyond pathetic and there's no indication which version of the book this is, whether it's lettered or numbered, etc, etc.

They list the condition of the book as "good", which by standard used book ratings is not that great a copy, so I'm really curious as to how they justify the price tag they placed on it. I couldn't find out much about the bookseller (they seem to just be in the process of creating a website of their own), though I did find an author that ragged on them for way over-pricing a used copy of a book he still sells directly to people for about 10% of the cost.

Last edited by Cheryl; Feb 2 2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 29.01.2006, 11:08 PM GMT

Even for such a rare and wonderful book that price is rather ridiculous. What also struck my eye was all the extra data about the book that is being offered, more particularly this:

Statistically Improbable Phrases (SIPs):
incestuous fornication, dray beasts, velvet fields, gather wagon, bronze dragon

Last edited by Hans; Feb 2 2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:22 PM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 29.01.2006, 12:57 PM GMT

All the extra data pertains to the later short story collection, not the Cheap Street edition.

If you drill down in, it'll give references for where the SIPs appear, and I just had to drill into the first one as I couldn't think when Anne possibly ever used that phrase . Turns out that it's in "The Greatest Love," where the main character stands accused of incestuous fornication due to carrying her brother's child (but of course she wasn't the biological mother, she was a surrogate!).

Velvet fields of course appears in the story by that name, and the rest are from GWHD.

Old Feb 2 2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 29.01.2006, 03:05 PM GMT

It was more the fact that they were deemed "statistically improbably"

Last edited by Hans; Feb 2 2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:23 PM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 29.01.2006, 05:32 PM GMT

I rather like Amazon's new thing of the statistically improbable phrase, they're quite interesting, and usually helps zero in on what's unique about a book.

Old Feb 2 2006, 03:24 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 01.02.2006 1.05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
I am extremely lucky and proud to own one of the Collector's Edition copies of the book, which I found for a steal online. It did not come with a slip case, which Hargreaves indicates it should have... I'm also a little baffled by the notation on the umm Special Edition Description page (yes I made that name up, I don't know what else to call it), which is found in the back of the book and lists my copy as "PC". This may mean it's one of the 5 lettered copies, but I would have thought those were lettered A thru E... It could also mean Proof Copy or Presentation Copy...

Later today, when my kids are in bed and it's safe to get my copy out (gosh I feel like I should store it in a vault), I will take some pictures and post them here.
Cheryl - you may very well have a VERY RARE copy of this book! See this description......
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
The Girl Who Heard Dragons
Cheap Street. 1985 Hardbound uncorrected prooof for first edition. LIMITED TO ONLY 7 COPIES. SIGNED on title-page by author. Bound in brown cloth with paper label on front cover, no lettering on spine. Measures 6 1/4 x 11 5/8 inches. Label shows some rubbing otherwise fine (our highest grade). Not issued in dust jacket. Not listed in Hargreaves.
.......What do you think?????

This was originally posted by Coelura1 but restored by Hans

Old Feb 2 2006, 03:25 PM   #15
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 01.02.2006, 2:16 AM GMT

I don't think it one of those -- it's not signed on the title page, it does have a dust jacket, and has a paper label on the spine.

But it is either one of the 5 lettered Collector's Editions, or a version of the Collector's Editions not listed in Hargreaves. Either way it's pretty valuable -- even if it was meant to have a slipcase.
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:25 PM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 01.02.2006, 1:09 PM GMT

Aha!

There is a copy just like mine for sale through ebay stores right now! I have one of 14 extra presentation copies not listed in Hargreaves, which does not seem to have come with a slipcase.
Old Feb 2 2006, 03:26 PM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Restored, originally posted 01.02.2006 07.08 GMT

Goodness me, how special! But not a better person to have it in my honest opinion!

Old May 12 2006, 11:30 AM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

For the (collectors record), there's an auction of a copy like Cheryl has on ebay right now, ending in 8 about hours

and the price is high but not exhorbitant: $ 375

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old May 12 2006, 03:13 PM   #19
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Hans, this the copy I posted about above, post #16
Old May 12 2006, 04:42 PM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

Oops, I thought I remembered the one you posted about being offered in another way and not through eBay.

Ah well, the seller will just put it up again if it does not sell. Wille be interesting if the price will change

Old May 20 2006, 01:18 AM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I loved reading about all of these special editions, of The Girl who heard Dragons. I am so glad that you have one of these books Cheryl, I am with Hans, in that there is no one who deserves it more. Thank you for taking the pictures so we could have a look at it.........that is about as close as I will ever get, but it was sure a treat looking.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2007, 11:54 PM   #22
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I new there was a thread about The Girl Who Heard Dragons - Cheap Street edition and it took a little bit (not much) to find this thread. I'm very glad I did! How very informative!
I just got my own copy of this edition and I was hoping to find out info on whether the edition I'd rememberd had PC on it or not. I read that yours does have PC, well the one I got also has PC and I'm really thrilled to find out it's one of 14. Tho I am going to check another friend who also has a copy to see what hers has on it. If it's a PC too then I'm going to have some suspicions as to how many PC copies are really out there.