A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Dec 3 2007, 12:47 AM   #1
BooPuppy
Inactive

Fan of: Ruth of Pern
Easton Press Book... Advice?

I'm current high bidder on an Easton Press book on eBay, hoping this is the genuine article? I have nothing autographed by Anne, have only seen pictures of her signatures. One place was a link in a long ago MoM post by Lady Maelin, I believe... http://www.tomfolio.com/autographimg...d=19&ret=AGIni

Anyway, I'm going out on a limb here because I've never bid on a book this special before and don't want to win a fake! I'm also SINCERELY hoping that I didn't bid against anyone here!! On the flip side of that coin, if anyone here bids against me, well, I have a maximum amount I can't go beyond and so be it, it'll have gone to a good home (just not mine). I have no clue how much these books normally go for.

Hopefully I'm posting the link to the item successfully, never posted links here before either... and hopefully it's to the item and not just to "My eBay"!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Easton-Press-NIM...QQcmdZViewItem

Any opinions or advice? (On either issue, book or how to post a decent-looking link! I previewed this post, the links look horribly awkward but functional)
BooPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Easton Press Book... Advice?

Advice? Don't publish your biddings here

If it's Easten Press publication you need not have any worries about the autograph being genuine BP.

Good luck!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2007, 03:55 AM   #3
BooPuppy
Inactive

[QUOTE=Hans;93416]Advice? Don't publish your biddings here

Good advice, Hans, I'm sure of that; and I thought long and hard before I did so. However, I could not see another way to find out what I need to find out, and if I lose the book because of this choice, it'll all be part of learning. Some opportunities are once in a lifetime, but this is not one of those.

I pretty much stated in my original post that if others here want to bid on it, and outbid me, I don't have any issues with that... as with everything else I've ever bid on at eBay, either I win or someone else is willing to put up more money. And there is not a doubt in my mind that experienced collectors like a lot of you here were perfectly capable of finding that particular listing on eBay on your own.... it pops up quickly under several different search parameters! (felt kinda like it was haunting me until I acknowledged it and bid...)

Thanks for letting me know it's genuine, and that Easton Books in general can be trusted.

However, if I inadvertantly broke a rule with this thread, please delete it and accept my apologies!
Old Dec 3 2007, 07:31 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Nah, was only joking and you certainly didn't break any set rules.

Having said that however, you'll probably have noticed that, despite severl of us being collectors, we don't usually post eBay links here. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly alright in the way you did it but just for general knowledge I tell you that we don't post ebay links like "look what I found" or "this is currently up on eby, did you see that?".
Again, it is no set rule but it seems we all more or less agreed to not doing that. It could get out iof hand real quick and people who collect are, like you said, more than able to search eBay and other sites, themselves.

A good general tip is not to restrict yourself to eBay and always check what you want to have/buy on www.bookfinder.com to see if it isn't cheaper through "regular" channels. Another good place to look is eBay's half.com and the second hand offers on www.amazon.com

Again, good luck with the auction!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 3 2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Books from Easton Press will have been issued signed -- that is they were signed by the author before they were sold initially. For books like that, you don't have to worry about the authenticity of the signature. It's only books that were originally unsigned, that fan or book dealer specificially got signed sometime, that you have to worry about authenticity.

Good luck on your first Easton Press!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Good Luck Boo, I hope that you win this special book for your collection. I hope the signature post will help you in the future to feel a bit more comfortable about Anne's signature. Like I said in the PM...if you have any questions...just ask, there is always someone here that will try their best to help answer your questions....I know they do for all of mine...no matter how strange/odd !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2007, 08:01 PM   #7
BooPuppy
Inactive

Hans, Cheryl, Maelin, thanks all of you for your help.... I didn't get the book, but with your help and links I did gain some more knowledge, so it's all good. The right signed book will come along for me, and then I will know better what I'm doing, and hopefully get to do the happy book dance!
Old Dec 7 2007, 12:21 AM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Thank you Boo, it was nice to try and help someone else with their book finding... as a good way of paying forward all the wonderful help that I was given by Hans and Cheryl and Becky when I was starting out with my collection.

P.S. Just look for your most favorite Anne book...when you find it signed and at a price that you want to pay...then you'll know thats the book for you....Good Luck with your treasure hunt!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2007, 03:32 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Indeed, always glad to help out. And you are right! That book with your name on it (so to speak) will come along; I know! Had it happen to me several times