A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Feb 13 2015, 04:57 AM   #3161
Zelandeth
Firestone

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

Allen...spent the first 28 years of my life in northern Scotland...know the perils of oil changes in the wind only too well! It's a real pain to get out of your hair.

Mawra, Kitten?

Reminds me that Tesla our ever growing puppy seems to have an obsession with toes in that he must lick them. While this is kind of adorable, it tickles like crazy and is less than ideal when you're trying to descend the stairs. We have mostly managed to train him to cut it out...but every now and then he will still manage a stealth attack.

Yesterday was through the stairs when I paused halfway up to ask someone something. Apparently I managed to jump a couple of feet straight up in the air in response.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2015, 11:24 AM   #3162
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I think we were warmer before the weather people started talking so much about "wind chill factor!" Ignorance = bliss?
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2015, 12:03 PM   #3163
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

The kitten toe attacker is by far our smallest. She is about six months old and quit growing at about eight - ten weeks old. She is half the size of her siblings. Other than toes she LOVES light reflections. She will stare at the ceiling for an hour or more watching one. I was a good cat Mommy and fixed the phone so it reflects on the wall where she can get to it.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2015, 03:43 PM   #3164
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

We had a cat who would watch records going round on the player. She would then stick out paw, extend her claws onto the disc, and then jump down when she got the vibrations up her leg. Playing the same track four or five times all at once sounded pretty funny.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2015, 05:33 PM   #3165
Lily

Isn't deliberately slowing and speeding the record a popular thing to do on less desirable radio stations? Do they call it scratching? Brrrr! Fortunately I do not listen to pop stations

Arent cats comical to watch at times? I've been delayed for ages watching some of the wee things people post at times, with cats being surprised.
Old Feb 13 2015, 09:46 PM   #3166
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Our youngest ones fav. game is race track. They will race all over the down stairs. You can hear their claws on the floor when they make turns going too fast. At times they will run in place for a few seconds, before they can get their footing. Their back legs will go in a different direction than the rest of them causing them to fall and slide. They are highly amusing, unless they are using your bed as part of their track.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Feb 15 2015, 12:32 PM   #3167
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Well, we were gone for a short periode of time but the boss has fixed things, so we resumed service as usual

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2015, 12:41 PM   #3168
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thanks for the info, Hans and thank you to Cheryl as well!
Old Feb 15 2015, 12:53 PM   #3169
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Thank you for getting it back up so quick.

Old Feb 15 2015, 06:26 PM   #3170
Sharon
Inactive

Long time no see. Hello everyone.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2015, 06:48 PM   #3171
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

YAY.

Just,

YAY.
Old Feb 15 2015, 07:03 PM   #3172
Spock
Jewel Junk

Fan of: The Smallest Dragon Boy
Now Reading: DragonWriter

Happy to see it wasn't permanent. I've seen way too many good forums fade away.
Old Feb 15 2015, 09:05 PM   #3173
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It is 8 PM and 4° F outside. Whoever did not pay the "outdoor" heating bill is in big trouble!
Old Feb 15 2015, 11:21 PM   #3174
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

LOL P'ter. Glad there was not too much damage.

I spend the weekend taking care of my dad for my step mom. She is down with a cold. My dad is in the last stages of emphazema/congestive heart failure/all kinds of chemicals in the body from being a fireman/paramedic before they wore masks, ear plugs, etc. to protect them from all the chemicals released during fires along with the smoke. He is on oxygen 24 hours and needs help with most stuff but he is stubborn and doesn't like needing help so he is a cranky patient at times. This is very difficult because it is painful to see him struggling to breath, focus, or walk at times. Yet, I treasure every moment we have. At the same time, I hope he dies soon before the pain becomes increases. The meds are losing the ability to prevent the fluid build up in his lungs that comes from all the damage and he struggles to breath at times even on the oxygen. My step mom has called his doctor, but the doctor has not returned her calls. She wants to start hospice and his next appointment is not til Mar 6th. Please keep him in your thoughts/prayers for a quick, painless death.
Old Feb 16 2015, 01:54 PM   #3175
Hans
Master Archivist

Hello, Sharon. That has been quite a while indeed!

Will be thinking of you, Moonlady.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 16 2015, 01:58 PM   #3176
Hans
Master Archivist

Dear Spock, I suppose that might happen to this one too, over time. But not in the near future!

Old Feb 16 2015, 05:07 PM   #3177
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Glad to see this place back up after two days of nothin' but a dead, blank screen

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16 2015, 06:11 PM   #3178
Zelandeth
Firestone

Good evening...

Heard that the family member using my little Peugeot 107 to commute has a puncture. Where is spare etc...

Grah says me, knowing that will most likely be another eighty pounds or so of tyre down the drain. Later find out that said puncture happened as a result of an argument with a high kerb. Waiting for the car to arrive home, but fully expecting both tyre and wheel to be scrap. Just crossing my fingers and toes that the suspension has survived as I know full well how fragile modern cars are. ...plus I've been under that thing and seen how flimsy the suspension is!

Also ten minutes ago discovered that my desktop pc has gone into some sort or irrecoverable hard lockup which was only solved by a full power down including unplugging it (just shutdown by the power button resulted in a system that would not start up). Hard drive self tests all came back fine, now running memtest and will leave that overnight. My spider sense though tends to suspect something starting to break down on the motherboard though at this age (it was built in 2007 by me). Wonderful.
Old Feb 16 2015, 07:17 PM   #3179
Zelandeth
Firestone

Update: (would edit the original post but the edit button doesn't work for me...)

Car is home. Nothing obviously bent underneath, but the wheel alignment is definitely slightly out so will need sorting. 8 month old tyre is scrap (I can stick my whole keyring through the hole in the sidewall) as is the wheel at first glance.

So will be giving A5 Salvage a visit tomorrow to see if they have a wheel to match the others.
Old Feb 16 2015, 07:24 PM   #3180
Spock
Jewel Junk

Fan of: The Smallest Dragon Boy
Now Reading: DragonWriter

Is there any chance you could trade the afore mentioned family member in for the cost of repairing your vehicle?
Old Feb 16 2015, 07:54 PM   #3181
Zelandeth
Firestone

Sadly not...and to be honest would never consider it. She however was exposed to my disapproving stare while explaining things. In fairness, the kerbs at that gate at the hospital are lethal, and about six inches winder than your average car. She fully admits though that it was a moment's loss of concentration and entirely her own fault. No excuses made. Everything comes out of the same pot at the end of the day, so no point in quibbling over who pays for it!

Just annoying when I know that the Xantia really could do with new tyres too, and I really need to get the poor thing's timing belt changed...this is just getting in the way.
Old Feb 16 2015, 08:37 PM   #3182
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

I'm sure Spock would know where you may contact The Orion Syndicate.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2015, 02:21 AM   #3183
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
LOL P'ter. Glad there was not too much damage.

I spend the weekend taking care of my dad for my step mom. She is down with a cold. My dad is in the last stages of emphazema/congestive heart failure/all kinds of chemicals in the body from being a fireman/paramedic before they wore masks, ear plugs, etc. to protect them from all the chemicals released during fires along with the smoke. He is on oxygen 24 hours and needs help with most stuff but he is stubborn and doesn't like needing help so he is a cranky patient at times. This is very difficult because it is painful to see him struggling to breath, focus, or walk at times. Yet, I treasure every moment we have. At the same time, I hope he dies soon before the pain becomes increases. The meds are losing the ability to prevent the fluid build up in his lungs that comes from all the damage and he struggles to breath at times even on the oxygen. My step mom has called his doctor, but the doctor has not returned her calls. She wants to start hospice and his next appointment is not til Mar 6th. Please keep him in your thoughts/prayers for a quick, painless death.
I have a neighbor/friend in close to the same condition. He has been in hospital or nursing home since Oct. They have been trying to get him home, but he can not stand on his own. He has other problems than just the COPD. It is hard knowing it would be better from them if they went sooner, but at the same time wanting to hold on to them as long as you can.

My sister's father in-law died Fri. they had visitation Sat. and suppose to have the memorial service Tues. I think they are going to have to postpone it. We got a foot of snow and the temp on Tues is suppose to get up to 7f. The roads are not going to be good. Since the van does not have much heat and Mom is coughing we had to miss visitation and there is not way Mom is getting out of the house any time soon. She hates not going, but there is no way we can get her to the van, even if the van had heat.

Everyone is telling people to stay off the roads. They are not safe. Every thing is closed, except for fast food place. Why they are open is and has been a mystery to me. Kibby is suppose to work tomorrow. Don't think it going to happen. Not sure if she will have a job if she does not go in. It is not worth her life to get her there.

Old Feb 17 2015, 05:08 PM   #3184
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

good to be back - the ad screen I was getting was definitely rather odd
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2015, 08:32 PM   #3185
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

It was to a different site, weird

Last edited by mawra; Feb 20 2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old Feb 20 2015, 02:35 AM   #3186
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

The next time Kibby comes home sick she is getting kicked to the shed until she is over it. She was sick, mostly coughing for a couple of days. The rest of us much sicker and for longer. As usual when Mom catches anything it went into bronchitis. Luckily she has a Dr. who know her and knows that Mom knows when she has it and was willing to call a prescription in, without making Mom go in, which is good sense Mom can't get to the van right now. I'm going to Dr. tomorrow, I think I have bronchitis as well.

The weather does not help. with wind chill it is -5f tonight. Won't be much better tomorrow, cold makes me cough even more. Hubby says he does not need Dr. He'll be fine, he's had if for 2 weeks.

Old Feb 20 2015, 08:01 AM   #3187
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It is -2° F here this morning. That is cold enough, I do not need to know the "wind chill factor!" We are scheduled for 2 to 4 more inches of snow tomorrow into Sunday.

I am glad you have an understanding doctor, some would be rigid and do nothing without seeing her.

I have an early afternoon appointment to get my bangs (hair) trimmed. Then I'll go to the grocery store for a couple things.
Old Feb 20 2015, 09:38 AM   #3188
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Over night the lows were a record breaking -11f it has now gotten up to 0. Not counting wind chill.

Old Feb 21 2015, 01:19 AM   #3189
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Brrr, hang in there. We're having an early spring, the snow's almost gone. Of course, more could fall at any time, but we're having April weather in February, and it's weird.

I'm just so glad we have studded winter tires, even if it's a drag having to change them twice a year, and they wreck the asphalt when there's no snow or ice on the roads. Still, I haven't come across a hill my sturdy 406 Peugeot couldn't handle in any weather. Deep snow might be a problem, but we haven't had to showel more than twice this winter.

Get well soon Maw and family! I hope your mom's bronchitis clears up soon with the right meds.

Moonlady, I hope your father can get a place at a good hospice soon, my thoughts are with you.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2015, 06:28 PM   #3190
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby TRIED to go to work today. Not sure why Hubby even tried to get her there, they did not make it far. When she tried to call her work no one answered. She called the store across the street from where she works, no answer. Hubby call McDonalds next to door, they were opened. The other two places were not. There are only 3 businesses in that spot.

I Wish her work would have called to let her know that they were closed. They probably figure Kibby would call in as she should have. It was snowing and had been for hours before they left and it has been so cold that everything started stick right away. She is hoping she gets to work tomorrow, so far this paycheck will be blank. She had to call in two days, and was off three, she was suppose to work today and tomorrow.

Old Feb 21 2015, 09:28 PM   #3191
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Well, we were gone for a short periode of time but the boss has fixed things, so we resumed service as usual
Thanks I was wonder why in the world I was able to log in.

Moonlady Hugs and I feel for you and yours.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2015, 01:53 AM   #3192
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Thank you everyone.

Please keep my step mom and I in your thoughts for strength. On Monday, we will be taking my dad to one of his two doctors. Of the two doctors, the first one is willing to put him on hospice, the second one demands to see him first. My dad wants to go on hospice and he is done seeing doctors. There is nothing more they can do for him. He is at times fighting us on going to the doctor. At other times, he agrees realizing it must be done so we can begin hospice care. Today, he was saying, he's not going on Monday. I will drive down to my dad's tomorrow afternoon and spend the night. So my step mom and I will be able to work together to get him to the doctors on Monday. Thanks again.
Old Feb 22 2015, 07:56 AM   #3193
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Good luck Moonlady.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2015, 08:52 AM   #3194
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I wish you good luck, Moonlady. I hope tomorrow will not be too stressful.
Old Feb 22 2015, 07:21 PM   #3195
Zelandeth
Firestone

Well had it checked out and the wheel on the 107 is at least still round, even if there is now quite a dent in the rim. It's still serviceable according to the tyre shop, so has a new tyre on it and will be put back on the car once it stops raining for five seconds.

[EDIT: Realised looking back at it before posting that this turned into a right old ramble about car related stuff, so if that's not your thing, skip the rest of this post!]

Finally got around to changing the front suspension spheres, so the car no longer bounces around like something from a children's cartoon. It is downright hilarious on one particular road near here which has a horrific surface. You can be following someone else and able to see them bouncing all over the shop while wafting along in complete comfort in the Citroen save for occasionally pitching a little in the slow almost ship-like way they do and being able to hear the occasional thump and rumble from the tyres. Yet despite that, you also have a car which can corner at quite alarming speeds with virtually no body roll and you can chuck it around far more than seems feasible.

The green thing in the photo below is the sphere.

Oh...and I replaced the missing cap for the windscreen washers, as that was poking me right in the OCD every time I opened the hood.

Here's a brief description of how it works, as it is far from immediately apparent, and the whole hydropneumatic thing for reasons I've never really fully understood never really caught on with anyone save for Citroen themselves and Rolls-Royce (who I believe actually licensed some of the tech from Citroen).

It basically consists of two chambers, divided along the seam around the middle by a rubber diaphragm. The side attached to the top of the suspension strut is filled with hydraulic fluid, and the other side with pressurised (to around 55 bar in the case of these) nitrogen. The way it works is that the suspension arm is attached to a hydraulic piston where the spring would normally be. The top of that piston is connected to the sphere, so the expansion/contraction of the nitrogen in the sphere is what provides the damping that the spring would on a car with conventional suspension. There are other accumulators elsewhere in the system which also provide a "head" of fluid which allow for quite alarming levels of suspension movement if you hit for example a deep pothole or a large speed bump (more so than many SUVs). Result being a car that handles as well as many sports cars, yet you can launch over quite aggressive terrain at normal road speeds and barely feel it. Other bits of cleverness also actively manage the ride height etc. Despite all that, it's actually quite a simple system to understand once you break it down into its individual components. Just looks rather unnerving in person as there are a heck of a lot of pipes and mysterious components whose purpose is not immediately apparent!

In case you doubt what I mean about how well it can handle harsh road conditions - here's a Youtube Video of a Citroen CX being driven on a rather rough road in Russia. Camera is rigidly mounted on the side of the car...note the lack of vibration etc! You don't get anything better for your spine this side of a magic carpet I reckon.

...Does however mean that I'm already after only a couple of months am shocked by how uncomfortable riding in anything else feels. ...That was before I'd even got proper magic carpet status restored at the front (as the spheres need to be changed periodically as the nitrogen charge is gradually lost). I hear you saying "isn't changing the main functional part of the suspension system hard?" Simple answer is "No."

Process for that consists of:

1. Take the car for a brief run to get everything warmed up, just because it tends to make things a bit easier. Plus it's cold out, so having some radiant heat from the engine is kind of pleasant!

2. Set ride height to low and wait for the car to settle.

3. Switch off engine.

4. Depressurise hydraulic system (turn the 12mm nut on the side of the pressure regulator 1/2 turn).

5. Stuff a rag under the sphere you're about to remove as it will spill a bit of fluid when you remove it.

6. Using a *decent* strap wrench or the proper Citroen tool, unscrew the old sphere and stick it in your oil drain pan to drain.

7. Make sure the old seal came out with the sphere (they usually stick to it).

8. Lubricate the new seal with fresh hydraulic fluid and stick it into the grove in the strut top.

9. Screw new sphere in hand tight. Repeat process for other side.

10. Close the bleed screw on the pressure regulator, start the engine, wait for hydraulic pressure to come up and then "exercise" the suspension by cycling through the full height range a few times.

11. Finally check the fluid level and for any leaks, then test drive.

Total time for the front spheres I did a few days ago? Six minutes plus about the same for the post-change "Citrobics" session and leak check.

Rear spheres are a bit more awkward as you have to have the car on axle stands or ramps because they are under the car and they tend to be a lot tighter so a bit more difficult to get off, but process is identical.

Oh...and I still haven't got around to cleaning up the mess following the diesel spill last week.

Basically it covers everything immediately surrounding the black cylindrical device (the fuel filter and preheater housing) at around 3 o'clock in the following picture.

Basic observation: Could I have managed to spill diesel anywhere more awkward to clean effectively? Thorough session with the degreaser methinks!

In other news, not done much this weekend really as something I've eaten (as far as I can tell) has disagreed with me, so I've been spending much of yesterday and today keeping myself stationary and horizontal as much as possible. At least food seems to be staying down today, so fingers crossed I'm on the mend now. Hopefully the nausea will get lost as well tomorrow.
Old Feb 22 2015, 07:42 PM   #3196
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Okay, I'm guilty of skipping to the bottom of all that! I hope you feel better soon!
Old Feb 22 2015, 08:01 PM   #3197
Zelandeth
Firestone

That's totally fair! Really didn't realise how much of a ramble it had turned into until I was 3/4 of the way through writing it.

In that really annoying phase of being sick right now in that my brain is working perfectly fine and there are things I want to do. Plus I feel mostly okay - until I try to actually move or do anything, leading to me sitting down again after about two minutes thinking that staying still suddenly seems like a *really* good idea. Gets kind of frustrating after a while.

Just hoping for an improvement tomorrow as I've not got anyone conveniently around to help look after the dog tomorrow!
Old Feb 22 2015, 10:56 PM   #3198
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

When we got home Friday we noticed George, the rabbit, was not looking good. Just sitting around not taking any interest in what was going on. When we let him lose he just sat there,
even when a cat ran by. It was too late to get him anywhere. The closest rabbit vet is an hour away in good weather. Sat. he seemed to be the same, he did eat and drink a little. We noticed he his stool was loose. We could not get out to take him anywhere. When we got up he was still sitting there, a little later I notice he was laying down. We lost him. I don't know if he would have made if we could have gotten him to a vet or not. There was just no way we could get him anywhere, even if the rabbit vet had been open.

Old Feb 23 2015, 02:15 AM   #3199
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Sorry to hear about George, Maw. Rabbits are funny critters. it's hard so say what happened, and even harder to say if there was anything you could have done if everything had been perfect for getting him to a vet. Don't beat yourself up over his passing.

Zelandeth, as a long-time mechanic, I read your total post. Didn't think it was a ramble. While I wasn't necessarily a fan of their body style, I always appreciated the Citroen suspension. It borders on legendary, in my book.
Old Feb 23 2015, 03:36 AM   #3200
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I trying not to wonder too much if a vet could have helped him. I know there was no way we could get him there. Kibby and Hubby barely made it to a store three miles away and back, and Most of the time with small creatures, once they show signs of being sick it is too late.