A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Oct 11 2013, 06:32 PM   #1401
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: What is happening

We do a lot of Christmas presents, for ones who like Halloween like stuff, the day after Halloween. Especially when my nephew was alive, he loved all things Halloween.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2013, 01:51 PM   #1402
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

As always, Cilla, AWESOME display. Must get out with the camera and get shots of the neighbors' places....
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2013, 03:07 PM   #1403
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Thanks! I also love Maw's idea of giving Halloween themed gifts right after the day. Our son and his girlfriend went to a tag sale last weekend across the street from his apartment. They got a fantastic light up haunted house with bats that "fly" on a wire around the roof. It's small, think Dicken's village houses size. They brought it up here to give to Jenn & Mike because they are the real Halloween lovers in the family. Oh, we all enjoy it, but the two of them? Let's just say they are off to Salem, MA today for the town's Halloween tours and to check out some graveyards.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2013, 12:11 AM   #1404
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

G'day from Oz. Wanting to wish my "MoM twinnie", a happy birthday

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2013, 08:12 PM   #1405
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Hello everyone,

I've been gone for awhile because real-life has been challenging lately especially since both my boys became high school students/ teenagers.

I was listening to Dragonwriter and our Cheryl and Hans were mentioned in an essay along with the old KT, new KT, and Meeting of Minds. It reminded me that other than Facebook, it has been awhile since I visited.

I'm in my 5th year teaching at my current high school. I finished my Masters in Special Education and am looking into different doctorate programs in education. Both my boys are in high school with all its joys. There dad called from Mexico city last summer throwing our life into momentary chaos after almost 7 years of silence except for a few letters. He tried to convince my mom to bring the boys to visit. I don't think so. I finally answered the phone and politely let him know that they do not want to talk to him but if they change their mind, I will let him know. At the same time, I let my mom know that they would not be going to Mexico City as minors. The truth of the matter is that they don't want to talk to him, they are angry and they want to tell him to his face; however, they do not want to go to Mexico City. At this point, he can come to them or accept they choice not to talk to him.

This year has been a challenge and a time of change. We moved into our condo at the end of June. My first time as a homeowner. I survived my first time as a teacher in mediation with a parent. I saw my youngest start high school in August plus he grew 3 inches and gained 10 pounds this past year.

How is everyone?
Old Oct 14 2013, 10:47 AM   #1406
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Hi Moonlady. If you don't recognize my name, it's because I used to go by Draco here. I got my name changed to be a little less covert, I guess you could say. As far as what I've been up to since you were last here, I've just been working, getting sick, getting well, you know, what they call life.

I guess the biggest thing is I started making jewelry. Chain maille bracelets and necklaces and wire wrapped rings and pendants. Key word is "making". "Selling" is what I'd like to be doing. But that should change with time. The next craft fair season is coming.
Old Oct 14 2013, 11:03 AM   #1407
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Hi Moonlady,

Are you still looking to do your doctorate in UK?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2013, 06:23 PM   #1408
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Hi Moonlady,

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2013, 06:45 PM   #1409
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Hi Moonlady

Ouch P'ter

This is what I'm up to this month.

Subject: Blindness Awareness program at the Woodson Art Museum
Hello,
Please share the following Woodson Art Museum program with those that would enjoy them.
October 19 Saturday 1 – 3 pm
Woodson Art Museum
A Taste of Life Without Sight
What’s it like to go through life without sight? Join a worldwide campaign to get educated about blindness during Blindness Awareness Month. Rotate among interactive stations in the galleries and meet community members with blindness and low vision as they talk about art, demonstrating that blindness doesn’t inhibit visual art appreciation. Also participate in an Art Beyond Sight multi-sensory tour, led by Museum educators.
October 26 Saturday 10:30 am – Noon
Art Beyond Sight
The Woodson Art Museum is offering a multisensory gallery tour and hands-on art experience for individuals with low vision and blindness from 10:30 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. Meet Paul Rhymer, artist in residence, as he successfully melds his work as a taxidermist and bronze sculptor. A second-generation Smithsonian taxidermist, Paul worked for twenty-five years as a model maker and taxidermist at the National Museum of Natural History. He recently served as a judge on the AMC TV series “Immortalized,” a competitive taxidermy reality show. Rhymer also is an avid birder and bird hunter, pursuits that inform his mounts and his sculpture. During his residency, Rhymer shares insights from his dual careers, including lost-wax bronze casting demonstrations, taxidermy tips, and programs for a range of all ages. Call (715) 845-7010 to register or email jhintz@lywam.org for more information.
Thank you,
Jayna Hintz
Jayna Hintz
Curator of Education
Woodson Art Museum
700 N. 12th St.
Wausau, WI 54403
http://www.lywam.org
Unexpected perspectives, amusing antics, and majestic poses are featured among 125 all-new artworks in the 2013 “Birds in Art” exhibition at the Woodson Art Museum, on view through November 10, 2013.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2013, 10:12 PM   #1410
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Glad things are going good for you, Moonlady.

I had an interesting weekend. Started out on Sat. with an open house at a university, in Richmond Va. We got doing early, so my niece, Melissa, decided that
we needed to go into Washington D.C. to a truck rally that was taking place. I have no idea why there was no news coverage.

That night we stayed the night across the street from the amusement part we were going to on Sunday. It was a trucker motel, about 30 truckers were spending the night in the parking lot, all had been part of the rally. There were also some normal cars. They all went back on Sunday. My niece wanted to go back on Sunday. We went to the amusement park. Melissa kept track of what was going on in D.C.

Kings Dominion had special Halloween stuff going on. We all had fun. Will post pics later.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Oct 14 2013, 10:29 PM   #1411
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King

Hello All! Over the weekend we went the local Fall Festival. My favorite thing to do was to put my son on the ponies and feed the animals at the petting zoo. We also got some really good kettle corn! Today I got my 55 gal. fish tank stocked with a school of 37 Neon Tetras! The tank was looking sad since last summer was so hot the water got 95 degrees F and most didn't make it. Tomorrow I need to start looking for pumpkins to carve!

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2013, 02:03 AM   #1412
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby's fav. color combination, BRIGHT.

She'll never get lost in a crowd.

Old Oct 15 2013, 03:43 AM   #1413
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

how did she get my shirt?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Oct 15 2013, 12:24 PM   #1414
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Hi Moonlady, glad to hear things are going reasnably well for you and your kids.

Life's had its ups and dows this year for me. More downs than ups unfortunately, with both of my parenth in law dying unexpectedly within two months of each other, the second one in a stupid accident when he got killed while crossing the street by an idiot young lady driver.
Our trip to south africa, we had planned for this year, was cancelled three times, the last time whe the tour operator went broke. It has been busy with many projects and my only son, 25 years old now, left home. He and his love bought a house and are living and hour and a half drive away, which is far for Dutch and Euro drivers. We miss him but the main things is that he is happy. So we are trying to adjust to life with just the two of us again.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16 2013, 12:56 AM   #1415
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby got her shirt at Gatlinburg Tn.

Old Oct 16 2013, 03:42 AM   #1416
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fancy naming a town for a machine gun

C. S. Lewis

Old Oct 16 2013, 10:38 AM   #1417
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Fancy naming a town for a machine gun
Gatlinburg was named after Radford Gatlin, who owned the general store where the Post Office was.

The Gatling gun was named for its inventor. Dr. Richard J. Gatling.

No connection between the two.

Fail.
Old Oct 16 2013, 11:52 AM   #1418
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I knew that. I was just TRYING to be punny!

C. S. Lewis

Old Oct 16 2013, 05:16 PM   #1419
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

It was also the site of some Civil War battles.

It is also at the entrance to the Great Smokey Mountains. There is a scenic loop that we drove. We saw three bear cubs and their mama within a foot of the road. We got to watch them for a long time, along with about thirty other people. It was really cool to watch them.

Old Oct 16 2013, 11:58 PM   #1420
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Hi Moonlady. If you don't recognize my name, it's because I used to go by Draco here. I got my name changed to be a little less covert, I guess you could say. As far as what I've been up to since you were last here, I've just been working, getting sick, getting well, you know, what they call life.

I guess the biggest thing is I started making jewelry. Chain maille bracelets and necklaces and wire wrapped rings and pendants. Key word is "making". "Selling" is what I'd like to be doing. But that should change with time. The next craft fair season is coming.
Hey Allen, I so understand "life". The jewelry sounds cool. When you start selling let me know.
Old Oct 17 2013, 12:14 AM   #1421
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Quote:
Hi Moonlady,

Are you still looking to do your doctorate in UK?
Hi back to everyone.

P'ter, I would love too but it doesn't seem possible right now. What I saw at work the other day was a flyer about teachers with a Masters or higher and 5 years teaching experience teaching out of the country for a year. Once the boys are in college, I would love to do that and I would have my five years plus. At this point I am looking at online options for my doctorate through a couple different universities because I don't trust my two teenage boys home alone together (too many possibilities that don't end good ).

Hi Ginnystar, that is awesome what you are doing.

Hi Hans, my thoughts with you both. That is why I am glad that both my sons are willing to wait till there older to get their liciensce and not bugging for it at 16. May your in-laws memories be a blessing. You are right about the one and half that is one of the reasons I would love to eventually live in Europe. Between work, the boys doctors appointments and other stuff, I drive so much that I yearn for a better public transportation system. At this point, I dislike driving most of the time. I hope you are able to go to South Africa soon.

Hi Mawra and Kibby, nice shirt. I need all my students to wear clothes like that when we go out in the community because that way I would never worry about losing them or them wandering off. This year half my class are good at disappearing. I've received calls from the psych office, "We have so and so in the office, would you send someone for them". If I new they would be safe, then it wouldn't be such a worry.
Old Oct 17 2013, 01:57 AM   #1422
Allen

Quote:
I knew that. I was just TRYING to be punny!
I know. that's why the smilie!
Old Oct 17 2013, 02:38 AM   #1423
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Hey Allen, I so understand "life". The jewelry sounds cool. When you start selling let me know.
Oh, things are for sale now. I just haven't had all that much luck finding customers around here (where I live). I've sold more online over at the NKT than I've sold live at flea markets and the one "festival" I've set up at.

If you check back through this thread, you'll find pics of things I've made, some of which are still for sale. Okay, probably most of which are still for sale. Quick way to find my other posts: click on my name (in case you didn't know).

Here's a couple of my latest creations:

Dragonvein agate pendant. The more backlit it is, the more the veining stands out.

Titanium druzy over agate pendant.
Old Oct 17 2013, 10:57 AM   #1424
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

That first one is fantastic, Allen!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2013, 05:30 AM   #1425
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

I like the second one. I love the curly shape.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2013, 10:55 AM   #1426
Allen

Thanks. Wait till I get some decent pictures of the rings I've made.
Old Oct 18 2013, 03:22 PM   #1427
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I had a really fun phone call today. My college roommate called. We haven't been in touch for about 25 years. She was always a terrible letter writer and we just drifted apart. She tracked me down because she was cleaning out a bunch of old college papers/photos and found something she wanted to mail me. She is retired so I could see lunches and getting together in our future. She and her husband also love DisneyWorld. This has been a good day for me!

Last edited by Priscilla; Oct 18 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old Oct 18 2013, 05:38 PM   #1428
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Hey Cilla! I saw something in my store the other day and thought of you! http://www.partycity.com/product/zom...=35-79440573-2
Old Oct 18 2013, 05:54 PM   #1429
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh WOW! I would absolutely get one of those. Maybe two. Hmmmm. Wonder if we have a Party City near us? Gonna have a Google! Thanks!
Old Oct 18 2013, 10:18 PM   #1430
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
Hi Moonlady
<Snip> This is what I'm up to this month.

Subject: Blindness Awareness program at the Woodson Art Museum
Hello,
Please share the following Woodson Art Museum program with those that would enjoy them.
October 19 Saturday 1 – 3 pm
Woodson Art Museum
A Taste of Life Without Sight
What’s it like to go through life without sight? Join a worldwide campaign to get educated about blindness during Blindness Awareness Month. Rotate among interactive stations in the galleries and meet community members with blindness and low vision as they talk about art, demonstrating that blindness doesn’t inhibit visual art appreciation. Also participate in an Art Beyond Sight multi-sensory tour, led by Museum educators.
October 26 Saturday 10:30 am – Noon
Art Beyond Sight
The Woodson Art Museum is offering a multisensory gallery tour and hands-on art experience for individuals with low vision and blindness from 10:30 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. Meet Paul Rhymer, artist in residence, as he successfully melds his work as a taxidermist and bronze sculptor. A second-generation Smithsonian taxidermist, Paul worked for twenty-five years as a model maker and taxidermist at the National Museum of Natural History. He recently served as a judge on the AMC TV series “Immortalized,” a competitive taxidermy reality show. Rhymer also is an avid birder and bird hunter, pursuits that inform his mounts and his sculpture. During his residency, Rhymer shares insights from his dual careers, including lost-wax bronze casting demonstrations, taxidermy tips, and programs for a range of all ages. Call (715) 845-7010 to register or email jhintz@lywam.org for more information.
Thank you,
Jayna Hintz
Jayna Hintz
Curator of Education
Woodson Art Museum
700 N. 12th St.
Wausau, WI 54403
http://www.lywam.org
Unexpected perspectives, amusing antics, and majestic poses are featured among 125 all-new artworks in the 2013 “Birds in Art” exhibition at the Woodson Art Museum, on view through November 10, 2013.
I am doing an sampling of an Audio tour. Which well describe what the painting looks like, the one that I'm station at is a large one, with birds, underwater, in a bait ball, with dolphins all around.
Its a traveling tour
http://www.lywam.org/birdsinart/index.cfm?room=venues

Update: I did two different art work, and a sample of a audio described movie http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...diodescriin-20
The two that did the gave a good description of what/how they did it.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Oct 20 2013 at 03:56 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2013, 01:10 AM   #1431
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Oh WOW! I would absolutely get one of those. Maybe two. Hmmmm. Wonder if we have a Party City near us? Gonna have a Google! Thanks!
In our store, they were in a box of two... but they were gone by the time I got my paycheck yesterday
Old Oct 19 2013, 10:30 AM   #1432
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Hi Moonlady, glad to hear things are going reasnably well for you and your kids.

Life's had its ups and dows this year for me. More downs than ups unfortunately, with both of my parenth in law dying unexpectedly within two months of each other, the second one in a stupid accident when he got killed while crossing the street by an idiot young lady driver.
Our trip to south africa, we had planned for this year, was cancelled three times, the last time whe the tour operator went broke. It has been busy with many projects and my only son, 25 years old now, left home. He and his love bought a house and are living and hour and a half drive away, which is far for Dutch and Euro drivers. We miss him but the main things is that he is happy. So we are trying to adjust to life with just the two of us again.
My condolences for your loss.

I'm sure you'll get to South Africa someday.

Glad to hear your son is doing so well. I hope you're able to visit each other reasonably frequently.

A hour and a half drive is not so unusual here in Finland, but I know distances are very much shorter in the Netherlands.

I'm driving again after a break of nearly five years. I lost the ability to judge distances when I got pregnant, and then when Marcus was born, for the first year or so I was just so tired all the time that I was frankly scared to drive, even when I my ability to judge distances returned. The more time passed, the higher the threshold to drive became. So finally this year I decided that it's now or never, and got myself a car with automatic transmission, as I was never much good with a manual. For the first time, I actually enjoy driving...
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2013, 01:54 PM   #1433
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I've always have enjoyed driving. That is what I use to do when I got depressed. Now with gas prices being so high, I can't afford to go on nice long driving anymore.

Old Oct 19 2013, 06:46 PM   #1434
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Allen, I will remember that or come back here for reminder because it is very beautiful. However, for me right now I've no "free money"" Sometimes being a responsible single parent stinks.

Also, the boys dad, my ex, was released from prison last July and deported back to Mexico. He was born in Mexico to an US mom, but he has to prove his citizenship. I learned all this when I received a call in July. The boys do not want to talk to him and he acts like I don't exist. For me, I am glad he is not here because I've been worried about it. I've come to realize in the intervening years, I married a "sociopath". He is very good at manipulating people and making himself look the "victim". He has not changed. He told my mom that he did everything to please me. The irony of this is that the whole time I was married, my mom and him hated each other now they are buddies. For my boys, I hurt because they want to confront him for his choices and abandonment but they want to do it in person. At this point, they are not talking to him and I will not let their grandparents (my ex in-laws) to pressure them. I hope this is understandable.
Old Oct 20 2013, 12:02 AM   #1435
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I wouldn't let them talk to him either.

We are going to have to find new home for the new dog. She is very sweet, it will break my heart to get rid of her, but she has started chasing the goat every time she gets lose.
I do not know how to stop her. Even if we got rid of the goat there are a lot people with livestock around here. If she chases them she will be shot. So I need her to go to someone with a fenced in yard.

Old Oct 20 2013, 01:09 AM   #1436
Allen

Obviously you've tried the regular things like "NO!", Maw. The only thing I could suggest would be a shock collar, which isn't a cheap tool.
Old Oct 20 2013, 12:48 PM   #1437
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Goofy pretty much ignores the NO word as far as the goat goes. I have thought about the collar, but not sure it would be good for her. Not to mention they are expensive.

Old Oct 20 2013, 01:13 PM   #1438
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Last night was Kibby's Star Trek Halloween party. My Mom, sister and two nieces are members as well. These pics were take there last night.

centaur pic.

That is Mom in the back ground she had the important job of keeping the back leg she was closest to it in place. The back legs are a bit wobbly

This is Madison, 8 year old niece.

Old Oct 20 2013, 02:30 PM   #1439
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Goofy pretty much ignores the NO word as far as the goat goes. I have thought about the collar, but not sure it would be good for her. Not to mention they are expensive.
The shock collar is used with the word. You have a remote with different power settings, as well as a warning (no shock). My sister and her husband had one for their German Shepherd, and after the initial training period, a warning was usually enough to keep Mariah in check, if a stern word didn't work. The main thing is to use the voice commands with the collar, so the dog learns to associate the two. But it does no lasting harm to the dog. Just does some damage to your wallet. It's the kind of thing that makes sure you're committed to keeping the dog.
Old Oct 20 2013, 02:42 PM   #1440
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It's been years since we had a dog and when we did have one it did not go well for us. Let's just say we never got her even remotely trained and ended up giving her away. Could have been the breed (husky) or our lack of experience. We only have cats now. We like dogs, as long as they're someone else's. Having said that, I am guessing that tying this dog outside away from the goat and taking the dog for walks to give it exercise is not an option? Giving up on a pet is hard but can be the only choice sometimes.