A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Oct 11 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on
Default Why do you have more than one copy of the same book?

This question was poised to me by my father over breakfast the other day. Hi, my name is Bruce. I'm a new member to MoM, but a long time book collector and Anne Mccaffrey fan. The question arose when I was telling my father how many of Anne' books I have. When I told him I have over 600 copies he asked the big question. Why so many? This question goes to the heart of what it means to be a book collector/lover. I first stared by telling him what Anne's work meant to me, how I have lived in her wonderful world's for so many decades, how she feels like a close friend. I told him next how I like having both hb and sb versions different covers, US, UK, and other countries versions. He then asked me the next big question. Are the contents different from one version to the next. I told him for the most part no, but sometimes there are small variations. Mostly I like to have all the various and different covers so I can have different perspectives of her work. Finally, I just love books! Not only Anne's but books in general. This love of book is one of the main reasons I joined MoM, so as to be among like minded people. Thanks for welcoming me aboard.

Last edited by Bruce; Oct 11 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Why do you have more than one copy of the same book?

Holy Cow...over 600 Anne books...thats a whole lot of books there Bruce...I'm so jealous.

I do have quite a few of her books myself, like so many of us here and yes I will admit to having several copies of each book...I have a tendency to fall asleep on my beloved books, which is ok by me but not on one of my precious older copies of Anne's books.

My husband and I love going to book sales and I just can't seem to pass up any copy of Anne's books I happen to see, so I have ended up with quite a few spares hanging around in our library room.

Of course I also have made a somewhat serious collection as well, especially of her signed works...either in person or from Ebay and other sources on the internet. I have been extremely lucky to find and buy some of my precious books...thanks to several very special friends/MoMers here.

It does sound like you came to the right place...especially with that amount of LOVE for Anne and her wonderful stories...again WELCOME BRUCE

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Welcome to the 600+ group, Bruce There are not many members in that group!

I'm even worse, I have Anne's books in many diferent languages, many of them I can't even read!
Why I have them? Does your father collect anything, it doesn't matter what... That's why! And of course I have them because I can! There are no actual, sensible reasons I'm afraid. It's like love you see.
I certainly don't have them for the value, even though they represent many thousands of dollars, which is a reason why some people say they understand why such a collection exists (value/investment). I never tell them the chance I would give them away to a worthy fan or proper cause is much bigger than I would sell them And from some of them (a hand coloured little comic of the smallest dragonboy springs to mind, plus a few with a signature and message by Anne to me) I will never part with, no matter what.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Bruce
Rocksquat

Thank you Lady M and Hans. I'm envious of the personal relationship that both of you have had with Anne. Perhaps that why I just can't pass up a Mccaffrey book when I see one in the bookstore. One of the fun parts of collecting is sharing. Whenever I see the book club omnibus editions of Dragonriders of Pern and the Harperhall trilogy I buy them to give away.
Lady M, I love the signed and collector editions I come upon over the years. Two particular favorites come to mind. A hardback 1st edition of the White Dragon signed by both Anne and Michael Whelan(The White Dragon is my first Anne Mccaffrey book bought and my all time favorite, like you and the Ship Who Sang) and a UK edition of Crystal Singer I bought on EBay. The Crystal Singer book was owned by a man also named Bruce and was signed "To Bruce Anne Mccaffrey". So I have a least 1 book in my collection signed to "me".
Hans, I have enjoyed seeing your continuing foriegn collections. The covers are a source of great joy to me each time I see a new post by you. My main foriegn collection source are UK editions(same language/but different covers), some German copies, and a wonderful Hebrew copy that I saw you also have.
As with both of you, the actual dollar/collector value of my collection pales with the pure enjoyment we get for having our collections and sharing with others.
Time to go the Post Office and start delivering my mail.
Old Oct 12 2012, 08:19 PM   #5
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

If you have any with different cover it would be nice to see them.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Bruce
Rocksquat

Mawra, I don't know if I have anything that hasn't been shown before, espically by Hans, but I will look thur my collection and see. I just opened a Photobucket account so I can post pics. I'll have my son help me get my photos loaded into Photobucket, and figure how to added them into my messages.

Last edited by Bruce; Oct 13 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old Oct 14 2012, 12:36 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Bruce...funny you sould mention that one of your more cherrished signed Anne books, is an edition of the White Dragon.

Right before my birthday in May 2006, I recied and posted a photo of my lastest addition to my Anne collection...a signed 1st edition of the White Dragon...with Whelan's beautiuful cover...go here and see what was inside when I recieved it...I still can't open that cover and look at that signiture without tears. http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...d+White+Dragon
post #24

The only one more precious to me is my 1st editon, beat up, drug in the dirt, library copy, that was the first book that Anne signed for me at our first meeting...she turned to me and look into my eyes with an almost laughing smile and said "you must really love this book"..."I really do" I answered, as she happily wrote "For Linda" and then signed her lovely name in Lavender sparkle ink...I said "Thank You so much Anne, that's just perfect". She signed many wonderful stories for me after that, in many different and interesting places...but none so precious as that one book, signed in Lavender Sparkle ink...

I hope you stick around MoM Bruce...I would love to see you post a few photos of your more favorite books, in your Anne collection. I have loved sharing mine as do many of the collectors here on MoM.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Oct 20 2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Bruce
Rocksquat

Lady M, I read the thread you mentioned. What a great surprise to have that wonderful signature by Anne! Both dated and from Dragonhold! I also have a signed pb edition of The White Dragon, although my original and worn copy of WD is still my pride and joy. 1st Anne Mccaffrey bought back in '78.
One of my favorite sites for looking up authors works is Fantasticfiction.com. The reason I mention this is this where I first saw A Time When listed. As I researched what this publication was I realized that I had to have a copy. They are not inexpensive as I soon found out. I went thru 3 different dealers, asking for pics and conditions before I finally bought a copy that I was happy with. I really like having this in my collection, being such a big WD fan. Still working on pics. Thank God for children who can guide their less than technological minded Dad.
Old Oct 21 2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh I do agree about *Fantastic Fiction*...been in my favorites list for several years now.

OOOOooooooOOOO...a copy of *A Time When*... one copy I don't have.......YET!!!

Old Oct 22 2012, 11:51 AM   #10
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

For me I have a lot of the nice, old hardcover editions I don't want to risk anything happening to as they look pretty on my shelf. I'm pretty hard on paperbacks usually, so it's good to have a 2nd reading copy. I'm only in the 100+ club
Old Oct 26 2012, 12:06 AM   #11
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I too have several copies of different books in my collection. I have my collectible 1st editions of Hard Cover and Soft Covers, my book club reading copies and books on cassette and CD. I also have quite a few of her books on my Kindle too. So I guess I'm starting a Kindle collection! He he! Regardless, I'm still reading Anne and that's what counts, right??!?!

Welcome to you Bruce! Glad to meet you!
Becky
Old Oct 26 2012, 06:02 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Becky! How nice to see you again, too!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote