A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Sep 13 2011, 11:42 AM   #1
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning
Default Couple Things Having A Hard Time Finding...

On my way to collecting and reading every piece of fiction Ms. McCaffrey has ever written, and I know a couple of you folk here are the best resources for such things. I'm having trouble finding a couple of items at all:

Visitors Book, which contains the short "Habit Is An Old Horse, and Gateways which contains "The Impression."

Here's the struggle: for Visitors Book, it seems like anything under the sun pops up when searching for it. Adding David Marcus to the search then pops up nothing.

Second, I'm surprised that The Impression isn't collected in one of the other Pern related short books? Is Gateways a sci-fi mag like Analog?

And finally, the biblio here lists short stories through 2004 with Beyond Between as the last. Anyone know if anything more recent has been published (other than full co-written novels, which are easy to find)?
Old Sep 13 2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Couple Things Having A Hard Time Finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindan View Post

Second, I'm surprised that The Impression isn't collected in one of the other Pern related short books? Is Gateways a sci-fi mag like Analog?
It's in the DLG! At least, it is in my version of it...
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13 2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Dragon Fan
Dylanist

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

I always use Alibris when looking fo old/out of print books. They have tons of sellers. Kinda like the way Amazon.com allows small sellers sell thru their site. Here is a link for "habit is an old horse", Kinda Pricey though.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?ke...s.x=21&hs.y=12
Old Sep 13 2011, 11:36 PM   #4
kindan

If The Impression is in DLG, that makes it easier on that front...

Yeah, I saw how expensive those were all over. What about the "Visitors Book" that's listed on the bibliography here though? Is that the same thing?
Old Sep 14 2011, 06:06 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindan View Post
If The Impression is in DLG, that makes it easier on that front...

Yeah, I saw how expensive those were all over. What about the "Visitors Book" that's listed on the bibliography here though? Is that the same thing?
Don't worry about that - Habit is an Old Horse is also collected in The Girl Who Heard Dragons.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14 2011, 10:14 AM   #6
kindan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Don't worry about that - Habit is an Old Horse is also collected in The Girl Who Heard Dragons.
I was confused asking about the visitors book there. Apparently there's a 2nd story in that Habit Is An Old Horse book called Fallen Angel which I believe isn't reprinted?
Old Sep 14 2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I might have spare copies of the visitor's book (but I don't know which version anymore, paperback or hardback) and the Gateways magazine, Kindan.
I'll have a look tonight, when I am home.

Habit is an old horse, the chapbook version is almost impossible to find and very expensive (like The Smallest Dragonbiy chapbook).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19 2011, 03:01 PM   #8
kindan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I might have spare copies of the visitor's book (but I don't know which version anymore, paperback or hardback) and the Gateways magazine, Kindan.
I'll have a look tonight, when I am home.

Habit is an old horse, the chapbook version is almost impossible to find and very expensive (like The Smallest Dragonbiy chapbook).
After reading through the threads here (those collector highlight threads are very entertaining, and useful), looks like "Fallen Angel" is in fact only available in Habit Is An Old Horse. Which is painful! I'm going to hope someone (like my wife) buys it for me for christmas heh.

Now finding that issue of Albedo One is my pain in the rear.
Old Sep 19 2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Totally mistaken, no spares like I thoght I (still) had

But I did find 3 Starstream comics #2, #3 and #4 (#3 is the one with the CS story) if you are interested and magazins "Amazing Stories" (sept 1993) and "Algol Starship" (Winter 1978-1979), bith in perfect condition.
The first mag holds the magazine publication of the short story 'The P.E.R.N. Survey'. Algol holds the article 'On Pernography' by Anne.

Do you already have one of the Pern boardgames? I've got a spare of one of the two, box a bit tattered but the cards with pern portraits aren't even cut and are still joined together.

Have you looked if the Albedo issue is still for sale with the publisher? I bought mine that way!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19 2011, 05:18 PM   #10
kindan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Totally mistaken, no spares like I thoght I (still) had

But I did find 3 Starstream comics #2, #3 and #4 (#3 is the one with the CS story) if you are interested and magazins "Amazing Stories" (sept 1993) and "Algol Starship" (Winter 1978-1979), bith in perfect condition.
The first mag holds the magazine publication of the short story 'The P.E.R.N. Survey'. Algol holds the article 'On Pernography' by Anne.

Do you already have one of the Pern boardgames? I've got a spare of one of the two, box a bit tattered but the cards with pern portraits aren't even cut and are still joined together.

Have you looked if the Albedo issue is still for sale with the publisher? I bought mine that way!

I'm light on most of the obscure stuff so I don't have any of those things you just mentioned. I'd be 100% interested in them, of course.

I contacted the publisher today for Albedo. Their website says they're sold out of that particular issue, so cross your fingers that they've got a couple spares somewhere for me. I intend on submitting a couple of my own short stories to them as well.

Edit: And update, the publisher told me they've been sold out of that wone for awhile. Darn.

Last edited by kindan; Sep 19 2011 at 06:54 PM.
kindan is offline   Reply With Quote