A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Nov 26 2004, 08:29 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Question Favorite item in your collection?

What's your most prized item in your McCaffrey book collection, and why?

Perhaps it's your dogeared copy ofthe first Anne book you ever read, and thus it's near and dear to you despite having pages about ready to fall out.

Or maybe it's that highly valuable rare item, that you can't believe you got for such a steal of a price.

Hmm, and what's my favorite item....
I guess for now I'd have to say my copy of A Time When. The first copy I owned I paid the going rate for, nearly $300. Then I came across another copy, in better condition, at a fraction of that price, and of course snatched it up. Then I sold my original copy on ebay, for a bit more than I originally paid. I made out like a bandit!
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 05:24 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Favorite item in your collection?

When I saw this question for the second time (Cheryl also posted it on the MoM BB 1.0) I realised again how incredibly hard I find this question to answer. Different collectibles are valuable for different reasons!

The signed Hargreaves (Forty Years of Publishing) is one of my most prized possessions. It is signed by both Anne and Mathew and there are only 500 copies. No novel, not much of a cover, but then, I am a crazy archivist

As for novels, I really can't decide. Very special is one of my copies of Analog with the very first Dragonrider story in it (October 1967), which is signed on the title page of the story: "Especially for Hans. Anne McCaffrey".

In another thread on the other board I already told about the picture that came by mail after winning the Pern Trivia on Kitchen Table Live a few years ago (as part of a team with -- who else than -- Cheryl and Anneli ). it is the regular public realtion picture of Anne, the one also on display on the site's homepage. But the text on it reads: "To Archivist Hans. Anne Mccaffrey" and Anne drew a little, tiny tulip on it The fact that Anne personalised the picture ina double way with name and my reasured title, touched and touches my heart!

Most prized is in fact my relationship with Anne itself. Sound funny, I know. But having her acknowledge my being a Pern Archivist in various ways (she even sent one of my Bloodlines to her publisher but Del Rey was very impressed but not interested to publish) is something I am immensely proud of.

The thing that would really make my heart swell is the publication of the "Who's Who on Pern", written by Anne, Cheryl, Anneli and me. And you know, the thing already exists! it just needs to be published!
For those of you that don't know this already. The volume contains all characters from all books, mentioning name, dragon and/or fire lizard name if appropriate, rank, booktitles in which the character appears, Hall/Hold/Weyr the character belongs to and remarks/short descriptions.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 08:03 PM   #3
K'vin
Glow

I have a leather bound, Gold trim Easton Press signed, First edition of Dragonsdawn.
K'vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 02:15 PM   #4
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

My signed 1st edition hardback of A Gift of Dragons.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 08:48 PM   #5
Pat
Inactive

Smile Re: Favorite item in your collection?

This is a tad tough, as I prize all my Anne books, but a few stand out as special to me:

Boxed, velour Moreta (signed)
HB UK Get Off the Unicorn (inscribed)
HB UK 1st Edition Decision at Doona

Plus my PB copy of The Ship Who Sang in Dutch (verified by Hans ), which a friend brought back from his European vacation as a gift to me.

My 1st Edition HB of Stitches in Snow (my favorite of Anne's mystery/romances)
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12 2004, 06:56 PM   #6
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Most prized is my original dog-eared paperback of "Dragonsong" which Anne signed with a really kind inscription the first time we finally managed to meet in person after sending letters and then e-mails

Other favourites include my Analog editions of Weyrsearch and Dragonriders 1 and 2, all three of which Anne has kindly signed for me at one time or another, not to mention my US and UK FE paperbacks of Dragonsflight which are also signed

And I guess my Authors' proofs of Dragonsblood must count up there somewhere ?
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2004, 06:23 PM   #7
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

Hm...what to pick?

The copy of Dragonskin with both Anne's and Todd's sugnatures?
The signed copy of A gift of dragons?

I think it would have to be the promo poster for The ship who won....rare as rocking horse doodoo! or so I'm told.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24 2004, 07:51 AM   #8
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

My dog-eared paperback copy of The White Dragon with the blue cover and the one role playing book (if you do this go to page ## if you do this go to page ##) with the (then) Journeyman Robinton as he sails, meets C'gan, and various adventures . . .if you goofed up, Robinton ends up back at Harper Hall . . .
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24 2004, 09:51 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherlyn
My dog-eared paperback copy of The White Dragon with the blue cover and the one role playing book (if you do this go to page ## if you do this go to page ##) with the (then) Journeyman Robinton as he sails, meets C'gan, and various adventures . . .if you goofed up, Robinton ends up back at Harper Hall . . .
Ah, those Crossroad Adventure roleplaying books are fun, aren't they?

There are two of them Cherlyn and from what you write I guess you have Dragonharper. My advice is that if you see Dragonfire on offer somewhere for a price you think is good, buy it!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 26 2004, 07:06 PM   #10
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans

There are two of them Cherlyn and from what you write I guess you have Dragonharper. My advice is that if you see Dragonfire on offer somewhere for a price you think is good, buy it!
There's another one? Goody!
I forgot to mention the comic book too . . .
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2005, 09:02 PM   #11
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

Maybe my copy of Dragonsong since that was the first McCaffrey book I ever picked up and started reading.

Of course, though, I value my whole collection of her books.
McClance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2005, 09:38 PM   #12
An
Muskie

Red face Re: Favorite item in your collection?

My first copy of Crystal Singer in paper back. Yellowed pages and loose pages taped back in so I can still read it on a long airplane trip. The very same book that I lost bettween the bed and the wall when I visted my Aunt Marge in Stephenson, MI many years ago. She found the book there and mailed it back to me. So it has been a well traveled book.
An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2005, 01:28 PM   #13
PsionicFire77
Inactive

Personally, I have two that are my favorites of Anne. First and foremost is my copy of Dragonsinger. Granted, the pages are yellowed, there are even some typos and bits were the ink didn't hit the presses properly, but it was the very first Anne book I ever read.

Second would be a copy of Lyon's Pride that I managed to pick up at a local flea market. I can spot an Anne book from 100 yards When I talked to the lady running the table, she had no idea what she had. When I got a closer look, it turned out to be a SIGNED FIRST EDITION in MINT CONDITION! Imagine my reaction!

When she told me how much she wanted for it, I knew then that she had no idea what she had sitting on her table. I cut her price in half, and when she turned me down, I acted like I was going to walk away. Needless to say, she stopped me, accepted my offer and I now have the PRIDE & JOY of my entire collection!
PsionicFire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2005, 12:57 PM   #14
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Quote:
When I talked to the lady running the table, she had no idea what she had. When I got a closer look, it turned out to be a SIGNED FIRST EDITION in MINT CONDITION! Imagine my reaction!

When she told me how much she wanted for it, I knew then that she had no idea what she had sitting on her table. I cut her price in half, and when she turned me down, I acted like I was going to walk away. Needless to say, she stopped me, accepted my offer and I now have the PRIDE & JOY of my entire collection!

That's funny!

Last edited by McClance; Jan 13 2005 at 08:10 PM.
McClance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2005, 05:59 PM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I dont like cutting prices. If I buy something interesting and old I check it out online to see if its worth alot-so far I've found nothing over £20 in value but I try to pay a fair price-it makes me feel better.
Though I did haggle to RAISE a price once. I was sure the 19th C book on Cornwall I bought was worth more than 10p and the charity shop owner wouldnt accept more!
My own fave collectors items are
My copy of renegades-obviously see other topic and my slightly batter-its constantly being read copy of skies of Pern cos its the first I brought!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2005, 05:47 PM   #16
pictish-princess
Inactive

Hmmm... I guess my favorite would have to be my first edition grafic novel of Dragonflight signed by Anne McCaffrey. It is the 298th of 500 copies. It is my favorite because I can not believe that someone would trust me with something so rare and valuable. It is also my favorite because it gives me a whole new outlook on the book Dragonflight and it was the very first graphic version of anything I have read.
pictish-princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2005, 07:14 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

LOL

Lyon's Pride and Joy! You miser, you should have paid her price!

Old Feb 23 2005, 01:34 PM   #18
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.

i don't have anything signed, but it would have to be my 1st AM book; a copy of TWD. I got it used at a library booksale. i like to think of all the other peeps who have read it. i dont know why...

Last edited by Larra Dragonrider; Feb 23 2005 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2005, 01:50 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm like that too, Lara. I even like dogeared (we Dutch say donkey-eared) pages and notes in the margin! I'd often rather have a good second hand with a name in front of the book than a new book

Old Feb 24 2005, 11:40 AM   #20
sassie
Inactive

Location: Bristol U.K. but normally in which book i'm reading at the time

Just about each and every book I have, There are some that I won't read again but would still find them hard to part with!
I treasure my books and they are all good, old friends who are always there for me to disappear into!
I must have upward of 600+ friends although to my shame I've not got enough shelf space and some of them have been packed away for 7-8 years!
One day I WLL have a room full of shelves with all my books out, a comfortable chair, reading light and a table to put my brandy/cup of tea on......Heaven
sassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25 2005, 08:36 AM   #21
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

hmm, thats the sort of thing I promise myself I'd have if I ever have my own home. An old fashioned library come study, with the amount of books I've got already-there'd be more but I'm running low on space! I'm going to need one. Besides the physics books I'll want and need if I ever go into research (my dream if I get the grades!)
though home is just one giant library with bookcases everywhere except bathrooms, kitchen and utility! Mum and Dad are as much raging book collectors as I am! Mum collects more or less anything though Dad has a comprehensive library on WW1 and 2 history!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2005, 08:56 PM   #22
bamsdragon
Loo Cow

This is my prize McCaffrey item.... I won it from a old Pern Triva contest....

http://tempest.prismnet.com/~carolyn/daereh.html
bamsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2005, 06:24 PM   #23
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsdragon

By the egg...

That's one beautiful picture!!!

But who are those two people at the bottom left corner? At first, I got some crazy idea that they were F'lar and Lessa, but they didn't strike me as being them... Oh well. Just some random question.

Very nice though!
Old Mar 7 2005, 10:54 AM   #24
bamsdragon
Loo Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans

I got both books on Amazon.con used books and it took me years to find them there.. You bet I bought them... I used to go to the Library to check out the Dragonharper book a few times a year until I got my own copy... they didn't have the Dragonfire there, but now it doesn't matter... they are both fun to read and they can go on and on depending on which page you chose to go to... several stories in one book.
bamsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13 2005, 04:31 PM   #25
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Dragonharper and Dragonfire are on e-bay as one lot right now, based in the US in case anyone is interested.

PS: I am not the seller, and don't know the seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsdragon
I got both books on Amazon.con used books and it took me years to find them there.. You bet I bought them... I used to go to the Library to check out the Dragonharper book a few times a year until I got my own copy... they didn't have the Dragonfire there, but now it doesn't matter... they are both fun to read and they can go on and on depending on which page you chose to go to... several stories in one book.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11 2006, 09:57 PM   #26
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

None of what I have is anything fancy, but my favorite is a tie between the first of Anne's books I bought, the Michael Whelan cover (by far my favorite cover) of All the Weyrs of Pern; and The Atlas of Pern, for all it's detailed splendor.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11 2006, 11:48 PM   #27
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Favorite item, eh???? That's a tuff question!

Like other's I've got several favorites...

I have a lot of Coelura items, all that I can find. (it's not my favorite book, it's just that when I first got online I didn't want a name with a lot of numbers after it and got lucky and no one else had Coelura. then I adde the 1 when on Annes old KT site I couldn't use just Coelura, but was allowed to use Coelura1) The three proofs I have are pretty rare and could be termed favorites, one is a folded and gathered proof of which there were only 12 done.

Another favorite is the Three Gothic Novel information that I got from Charles Underwood, it includes a proof of the dust jacket, a letter from Anne signed just Annie with her handwritten corrections on it too, and a lot of paperwork on how the book came about. Interesting in its own right for the publication information.

All the books that Anne signed at her induction in June. She signed them to Becky/Coelura and that makes those very special.

And basically everything in my collection because Anne McCaffrey is my most favorite author, so everything she writes and everything related to her books is a favorite.
Old Aug 12 2006, 01:40 AM   #28
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Actually I would like to point out that there is a "Dragonflight" in graphic art book format. (Not sure if you call it that but it's in comicbook format as being the best description, I can give it) and I'VE GOT IT! Hooray! HE HE!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12 2006, 06:53 AM   #29
Cheryl
Master Archivist

We know, Jube, it's featured in the latest Collecting Highlight by Hans! (Now I just need to get my CH done...)
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Old Aug 12 2006, 10:44 AM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I think everyone knows what book is my favorite one by now...

My most favorite book of Anne's is "THE SHIP WHO SANG" I feel in love with Anne's story, and theBrother's Hildebrant cover the first time I read it. A little bit ago, I was also able to find and buy a lovely copy that was signed By not only Anne, but also by both the Brother's Hildebrant (Tim and Greg)...and it is by far my most favorite signed copy of the many that I own of Anne's books.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12 2006, 08:04 PM   #31
Becky
Coelura

Maelin, yep, thought that might be the copy that would be your favorite!
Old Aug 14 2006, 03:49 PM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky, It's got to be my favorite copy, not only because I love the story in it but also because...it has the most signatures in it...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Aug 16 2006, 11:16 PM   #33
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Okay Cheryl, I'll go hide in my little hole now but I was so happy to know something for a change that I wanted to point it out. I'll go play "squish" now.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2006, 07:01 AM   #34
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Sorry I made you feel bad Jube, that wasn't my intention
You should go be smug that you own a copy, as many don't!
Old Aug 17 2006, 10:55 PM   #35
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

The term is "grahpic novel", Jube. There are also the three comics that are collected in the graphic novel. These are probably my favorite collectibles and the ones I'd be least inclined to part with, as they cross over nicely into my comic geekness. (Yes, I have the three comics, plus the graphic novel. I do not, however, have the comic version of "Smallest Dragonboy." Which irks the completist in me.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2006, 01:06 AM   #36
Becky
Coelura

Ah, is that in one of the Bank Street books? Bank Street Book of Fantasy, I believe. (but we all know how faulty my memory is! so apologies if I'm in error) Yep, it's Fantasy. Had to check, couldn't post this with doubt in my head.
Old Aug 18 2006, 07:15 AM   #37
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Anareth, when I did a Collecting Highlight on that one, I found that copies aren't too hard to get from online stores, or very expensive either. You should be able to get one under $10 pretty easily, with a search at Bookfinder.
Old Aug 19 2006, 12:10 AM   #38
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I love those "Bank Street " books, they are such fun to read...

Old Aug 21 2006, 05:10 PM   #39
Hans
Master Archivist

And not only to read, eh Maelin?

Old Aug 21 2006, 09:40 PM   #40
~(_'>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsdragon View Post

This link does not work for me.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote