A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Sep 7 2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Cheryl's family trip to the UK

This is going to be very long, and likely not of interest to everyone. But here's my overdue summary of my lovely family trip to England for my sis-in-law's wedding.

We had a direct flight to Heathrow, which was swell. It left at 9:30 pm, which made for relaxing preparations as I had us 90% packed the night before and was therefore unharried and well-rested the next day. Kids were unimpressed with how much time is spent waiting around in the airport. We played cards and walked around counting plastic trees, trash cans, and video displays to pass the time.

They both stayed awake for a couple hours after takeoff, despite it already being past their bedtime. Everything was too interesting and new. I give BritishAirways full marks for having their act together -- free kid activity packs that would have been sufficient for entertainment without all the stuff I put in the kids' backpacks. Plus the onboard entertainment system is sweet: individual screens with a wide selection of movies, tv shows, and music. Kids sampled various things, but didn't stick with any of it for too long, and eventually followed suggestions to try sleeping. They each slept a good 5 hours or so. Unfortunately neither Kendall or I managed to sleep at all, but we at least had a few good relaxing hours.

After getting through long lines for passport control, waiting for the rental car shuttle, we finally picked up our car and got underway. Kendall adapted reasonably quickly to driving on the left, though it definitely had us both weirded out, especially any time we needed to turn right and one had to figure which lane to go into and which way to look for oncoming traffic. The bazillion roundabouts actually help with that, as there are few places to make a traditional right turn. We went to Stonehenge and stopped for the obligatory walk around while snapping pictures from every angle. Then it was on to Salisbury where we had a B&B booked for the night. After getting checked in, Kendall crashed for a good hour (can't recall why I didn't, except that I knew the danger of us both going to sleep without any sort of alarm to set). Just when I was contemplating trying to hook-up with K's parents and brother who were also staying in Salisbury for the night, Geoff knocked on the door. After strolling around the central part of town for a bit, we finally settled on a pub to have dinner in, and fine meal it was. And, in my quest to further my education in all things alcoholic, I sampled my mum-in-law's shandy which was quite tasty. After dinner we fell asleep and slept right through the breakfast hour the next morning...

The next day we drove north to Ambleside in the Lake District. The initial roads were narrow, minor highways which are sometimes barely wide enough for two compact cars to pass each other. We were much amused by a number of "tank crossing" signs, and I got a blurry picture of one. Finally we joined a real motorway (M5, then M6 as I recall) and it became like highways we're used to, only on the opposite side. I give the Brits a big thumbs up for keeping a strict hierarchy of fast-faster-fastest in the three lanes at all times. In the US, whenever roads have more than two lanes the notion of slow cars in one lane and passing only in the other lane goes right out the window, with the slowest cars usually liking to camp in the middle lane and people passing on whichever side seems convenient at the time. But England gets a thumbs down for over-congested roads at all hours of the day. No wonder you Brits don't like to drive anywhere, it takes for-ev-er! In the US it'd take 3 hours to go 200 miles, unless it's through a major urban area like New York City. In the UK, it took about double that, which is just painful when you're trying to get somewhere. We made it to Ambleside around dinner time, checked in to our B&B, ate, walked around the area a bit, and crashed for the night.

Next day we drove to the south end of Lake Windermere (Ambleside's at the north end, and the lake is just over 10 miles long) and met up with family again at a marina. Kendall's sister and her fiance had arranged for the rental of a 37 ft sailboat for the day, and we got to sail it from the marina up to the wedding hotel (the Langdale Chase, about halfway up the length of the lake). Brother-in-law Geoff is an experienced sailor, and Kendall and father-in-law Bruce happily helped crew. The kids had fun looking around, and playing down below deck. As usual, I took a bazillion pictures. My in-laws didn't bother taking more than one or two as I clearly had it all covered.

We were met by sis-in-law Karla and fiance Steve at the hotel's boat dock, with champagne. I have to say, that's the classiest way I've ever travelled to a wedding venue. We checked in, admired our beautiful room and the view and the grounds, and wandered around and visited with other guests for the afternoon. Kendall went to retrieve the car (which of course was at the marina, with all our luggage), and then helped crew the sailboat which Geoff took out with various groups of weddings guests all afternoon. My son had the most fun playing badminton, and suckered one of Karla's graduate students into playing with him for hours it seemed.

The next day there was another boat ride arranged -- this time a tour boat which slowly motored around the whole lake. I snapped another bazillion pictures, and the kids had fun playing with Steve's three nieces who bracket them age-wise. Then it was lunchtime followed by dressing for the wedding and...you guessed it, the wedding. A simple civil ceremony, and I swear half of it was the couple both swearing that there was no legal impediment to them getting married (that's not typical of a US wedding, I presume that having a wedding license is proof enough without announcing it to all the guests). That was followed by general mingling and a formal dinner and then dancing.

They had a couple babysitters on hand for the 20+ small children in attendance, which our kids intermittently enjoyed -- it was very handy to have entertainment for them when needed but not simply have to abandon them too it for hours on end. They were well-organized with lots of activities and movies. G made a fleet of paper airplanes of various designs, all of which were tested from the 2nd floor overlook of the grand hall, and M made a lovely bead necklace. They joined the dancing for a while, and then to my surprise they decided they'd rather go back to our room and watch a dvd we had brought with than dance more (a year ago at another family wedding they danced until they dropped at midnight).

The next day we had a slow morning and eventually gathered at a pub for lunch, to be followed by a hike for any who were interested. I tried the very British drink of Pimm's at lunch and liked it very much -- I had a whole glass! Then it was hike time, a supposed easy-going 5 mile affair which we weren't sure the kids could really manage but figured we could start out with everyone and turn around when we'd gone far enough... Well, we didn't get far at all, as the walk to the start of the real trail happened to go right past the B&B in Ambleside that we were going to be staying at again. The kids were already tired of walking, and K and I were just plain tired (K picked up a cold the previous day and neither one of us slept well as a result on the previous night) -- oh, and it was drizzling. So we checked in, set the kids up with a video and both napped. For dinner that night we met back up with Kendall's parents and brother. We almost ate at the Glass House which was apparently featured on one of Gordon Ramsey's shows a while ago, but the prices were steep so we went back to a nice little Italian place that K & I had tried several nights prior.

The next day another more serious hike was planned for those that were interested, which was definitely not us. We had planned to drive north to see Hadrian's Wall, but it was pouring rain that day, so instead our family plus Kendall's parents opted for yet another boat ride followed by a steam train ride. The kids enjoyed both, as did we (many more pictures taken), and we stayed relatively dry unlike the crazy hikers. That night the whole group that stayed post-wedding (20-30 people) had dinner at a tapas bar. I now know what the heck a tapas bar is (basically you order a whole bunch of different appetizer-like foods and share them around the table, sooooo yummy!), and that I like sangria.

The next day we said our goodbyes and drove back to London, staying in a hotel near Heathrow overnight before our flight. The flight went well (love the BA policy of serving kids meals before anyone else's, if you remember to order it online in advance...), though it was long since the kids didn't nap at all and were bored with 7+ hours of sitting around. Right when we were supposed to put on seat belts for landing my daughter decided it was time for a potty emergency, and we impressed the flight attendants with her lightning quickness at getting business done (which was good as we got looks of horror at first as we approached the toilets). We passed through US customs a bit faster than the Euro ones (this time as citizens we got the quick lines!), but then waited forever for luggage -- and fretted over the last piece of luggage that was significantly after the rest.

All in all we had a fabulous time, things went smoothly, and the weather cooperated on the right days.

Bonus points to anyone that can name the new drinks I tried, and guess the number of photos I took.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2008, 11:40 PM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Cheryl's family trip to the UK

Let's see, you would have tried a Guinness at some stage and as for the amount of photos you've taken, my guess about 1043 photos (don't ask me why I said that but it sounded good).

Glad to hear you had a good trip, that there was things for everyone to enjoy and that you all came home happy!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2008, 03:22 AM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Tried any of the UK version of cider? (the stuff in plastic bottles is a bit poor but the proper stuff...)

Glad you had a good time. I've never been up to The Lake District but I've done the obligatory stop at Stonehenge
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2008, 12:20 PM   #4
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

You can keep the Shandy... Pimms is so-so. Did you try the cider????

As for the number of pictures... nope, not even going to try.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Sounds like you had a fun trip, Cheryl! And managed to do more thn I did during a week long visit years ago. Course we weren't there for a wedding either.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

I hope you ate the fruit in the Pimms? I always think it's such a waste to leave it

Glad your trip went so well, I did wave in your direction at Heathrow on 27 August, honest
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

My mother-in-law stole all the good fruit from the Pimms, leaving just the cucumber.
Old Sep 8 2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Which just goes to prove that it's true what they say about Mothers-in-Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
My mother-in-law stole all the good fruit from the Pimms, leaving just the cucumber.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2008, 04:48 PM   #9
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Thanks for the report, Cheryl. It sounds like you had a good time at the Lake District. Sorry we couldn't drive down to Hadrians Wall to meet up with you. Did you try a Gin and Tonic - very British? How about 873 photographs.

6 hours to the Lake District from Stonehenge is actually pretty good going. You drove through two of the most congested motorway areas in Britain (Birmingham and Manchester) and I guess you touched on the third (the M25) when you returned to Heathrow.

Anyway, Welcome home.
Old Sep 8 2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Well lets seeeeee.... about three bazillion photos.
Mum's Shandy?
some lovely Champagne
Pimms ?
Delightful Sangria.
WoW !!! What a boozer your turning into.... So my dear friend, what was your most favorite drink?

I can hardly wait to see some of your bazillion photos...and hopefully not just in the *Where in the World* thread...LOL... you know me, I just can't wait that long!!!

P.S. You really need to do more writing, I love your stories...they keep you interested in whats going on and are so pleasant and easy for the reader to follow and enjoy.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2008, 06:27 PM   #11
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

I'll agree with you on that one, Lady Maelin, Cheryl's a regular storyteller.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Sep 10 2008, 03:15 PM   #12
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Great writeup! I'm so glad a good time was had by all.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11 2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

First my thanks to all Cheryl's friends and relatives; we'll get her hooked on alcoholic beverages much sooner than I anticipated and than we discussed among each others... (oops).

Glad you had a great time with hsband, kids and family, Cheryl. It sounds you thoroughly enjoyed yourself

Pictures... hmm... between 1300 and 1400 is my guess (although Maelin MuST be right with her three bazillion )

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13 2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

However you want to count them...its a whole lot of photos. If I know Cheryl, she probably slept with her camera under her pillow...so as not to miss a great shot.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Sep 13 2008, 11:10 PM   #15
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

She probably doesn't want to tell us now, how many she took? It'd be an embarrassingly large amount of them

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Sep 14 2008, 08:16 AM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Oh, I wouldn't have brought it up if I was that embarassed. It was 1300 pictures, so well done to Hans for his guess.

And as for the alcohol, it seems Maelin is the one that followed my tale closely enough to name all four drinks I tried, three of which were new to me (Champagne I've had many a time before): shandy, Pimms, sangria. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite, all were tasty...
Old Sep 14 2008, 01:09 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I still have no idea what a......*Shandy*or *Pimms* is....??? Are these mainly British drinks, as I have never heard of them here before?

Old Sep 14 2008, 01:31 PM   #18
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Pimms is a cocktail which comes ready mixed.
Shandy is beer mixed with lemonade.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14 2008, 03:31 PM   #19
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I think you'll find that Sangria is a Spanish aperitif

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 09:38 PM   #20
Jax
Talent

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF

You drank a whole glass of Pimms and then went on a hike??
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 11:01 PM   #21
Cheryl
Master Archivist

My memory is quite fuzzy by now, but I think I drank it before lunch, and it was a good hour at least before the hike began. And my immediate family wussed out of the hike before we'd gone a mile.

But it sounds more impressive the way you said it.
Old Dec 4 2008, 04:37 AM   #22
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

That wasn't a HIKE! That was a Post-prandial stroll to settle the lunch!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Dec 4 2008, 08:33 AM   #23
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Well, yes. But it did sound nice when Jax called it that.
Old Dec 5 2008, 10:31 PM   #24
Sandi

Looks like my previous post on this thread was one of the ones that got "lost" somehow. (I think it was my fault.)

During my "UK Years" I lived fairly near Stonehenge and went to Salisbury a time or two. Bournemouth was closer, though, so I went there more often for shopping. I remember Shandy but somehow never encountered Pimms. Probably just as well. It always seemed fairly easy to adjust to driving on the other side of the road in traffic but when out on a narrow country road I had a tendency to wander if I wasn't careful. It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time. Just out of curiosity, though, did you ever have any problems working out how things were said as opposed to how they were spelled or marked out on roadsigns?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 01:30 AM   #25
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

What a lovely trip. Thanks for sharing. There is a bar owned by a friend that has Pear Cider which I love. Usually, I am still sipping on my drink when Steve finishes his beer. Not with the Cider, I finish first.
Old Dec 8 2008, 04:59 AM   #26
Farclas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
*SNIP* Just out of curiosity, though, did you ever have any problems working out how things were said as opposed to how they were spelled or marked out on roadsigns?
Ah, that's just to confuse the 'furriners' - in the Scottish context that includes the BBC
Some examples from north of the border:
Kirkcudbright - Kircoobree
Kirkcaldy - Kircawdee
Lesmahagoe - Lesmahgow
Milngavie - Mulguy
Farclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 07:11 AM   #27
Hans
Master Archivist

And didn't I hear Aberlour pronounced as Aberlady? (nice whisky btw)

And let's not forget the most famous of all...
Edinburgh is pronounced Edinburrow... (well... more like Eddinbro )

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 8 2008, 07:45 AM   #28
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Funnily enough some of the odd looking ones are easy e.g. Fasnagriarach.

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 8 2008, 07:46 AM   #29
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Just out of curiosity, though, did you ever have any problems working out how things were said as opposed to how they were spelled or marked out on roadsigns?
Not that I recall. Perhaps because we had a nav system that told us where to go.
Old Dec 8 2008, 08:03 AM   #30
Farclas
Inactive

Would sat-nav help you with this hamlet in Aberdeen?

Just to confuse, it's pronounced 'Loast'

Old Dec 8 2008, 08:16 AM   #31
Farclas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
And didn't I hear Aberlour pronounced as Aberlady? (nice whisky btw)

And let's not forget the most famous of all...
Edinburgh is pronounced Edinburrow... (well... more like Eddinbro )
Hans - only if you were too enthusiastic about sampling the product! Oh, and it is never out of my top ten (minty, nail varnish 'nose', with flavours including russet apples, soft toffee, spearmint and pears. Yum). I used my bus pass to visit it in August 2006:

Edinburgh - yes, you're close; the locals pronounce it Ed'nburruh, tho' the first 'u' is optional
Old Dec 8 2008, 09:11 AM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farclas View Post
Hans - only if you were too enthusiastic about sampling the product! Oh, and it is never out of my top ten (minty, nail varnish 'nose', with flavours including russet apples, soft toffee, spearmint and pears. Yum). (snip)
Hmm... maybe...

Nail varnish?

BTW Ever sampled Glenmorangie "Cellar 13"? If yes, what's your expert opinion?

Old Dec 8 2008, 03:52 PM   #33
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...Your whiskey is showing again...