A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Oct 26 2008, 05:02 PM   #1
asna
Inactive

Fan of: DF
Default Similar personalities

I read DD again and I notice that Paul Benden is similar to F'lar ( both are natural commander and something that is hard to define etc) and Avril Bitra to Kylara (beckause of their sexual hmm interests and egocentrism). Have You noticed any other similaritis between characters from Anne books or other characters (Fictitious or real)
asna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2008, 05:12 PM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: Similar personalities

I thinks so. Right now I have to get back to you on that.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Most of Anne's female leads tend to be significantly (i.e. ten years or so) younger than their male love interests. Some even more.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Is that so, Shalyn? I never really noticed

Asna, maybe Sean and Sorka versus Jaxom and Sharra?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Sandi

By the time you've created as many characters as Anne has, there are bound to be some similarities. Over the years I've known lots of people with traits, habits and manerisms of others that I know never met each other.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I have to say, re the age difference....sounds about right to me! (But then I like older men as a rule. I may be biased.) Heck, a couple of MY characters have an age difference of approximately 1,841 years, give or take five years in either direction, so who am I to say anything?

I suspect the Avril/Kylara similarities are intentional. I honestly didn't notice any real similarities between Paul Benden and F'lar. F'lar and Sean, now, there's a few. But then some similarities to Sh'gall of Moreta's time, too--which could just mean Weyrleaders have similar personality traits.

Overall, though, all authors have stock types they like to use.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

I'm pretty sure that the age difference has been pointed out before. And I never said it was wrong, just that she seems to have a habit of doing that.

Ummm...most of her female leads start of strong, until they meet their one true love, then they turn into submissive Stepford wives. Or a variation thereof.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2008, 04:09 PM   #8
asna
Inactive

Fan of: DF

I didn't criticise Anne of that. I just said that this characters are similar for me. And I consider that You notice any other similariti between any Anne characters
asna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2008, 12:28 PM   #9
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Yes, but not really among Pernese characters. I don't know if you've ever read the Talent books or the Crystal Singer trilogy, but Lessa, Killashandra and The Rowan are all very similar personalities and physiques (small or at least skinny to the point of emaciation, strong willed to the point of being obnoxious) who are paired with strong, manipulative alpha males, F'lar, Lars Dahl and Jeff Raven respectively. There's also a strong similarity between F'nor and Afra, both happy to play second fiddle to a more dominant man.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2008, 01:26 PM   #10
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

The F'nor/Afra similarities are also shared by Trag, Lanzeki's (sp?) second from the Crystal Singer books, but Trag doesn't get nearly as much screen time as F'nor or Afra.

One similarity I noticed the other day is between Niall (sp? From the Ship Who Sang), and Nip, from the Masterharper of Pern. Nip was referred to as a "little man", and is a character who is more than comfortable bossing Robinton around and invading his personal space (he stole food right out of Rob's hand as Rob was trying to eat it), and Niall is nothing if not bossy and pushy, and as you know, AMC is more prone to writing about tall men than ones that are shorter than average so the description popped to me. I don't recall how the larger picture of comparing Nip and Niall works out since I don't know Nip too well (haven't read MHoP all that obsessively), but it surprised me when I spotted it.

You could also argue a similarity between Jaxom and some of Afra's brood...I'd say Rojer, most strongly, but Thian too, and Peter Reidinger I.

Edit: Also, there's a similarity between Robinton, the Maestro in one of the Helva stories (whose assistant is very similar to Menolly), and the Doctor AI on Nimisha's Ship.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31 2008, 01:56 AM   #11
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

As far as I remember Nip was a nasty villain and an Abominator. May be wrong though, since I've only read MHoP once and don't plan to read it again.
Old Oct 31 2008, 05:02 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Nip, his real name was Kinsale (named by Anne after a town on the south Irish coast) was a secret-agent or spy-Harper. He was later assisted by Tuck, who'se original name was Traller, thus creating the legendary Harper duo Nip and Tuck...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3 2008, 10:50 PM   #13
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

been thinking, and an obvious answer hit. Anne is amazingly, one person. This means to me, that her characters are going to be people she can understand to write. The people who are good, are going to fit into her image of what makes a good person... people she is trying to convey as bad, fit into the bad category of people she has made. petty, self serving, mean people are bad. people who blind themselves to new ideas because it defies, or even challenges their beliefs, are also bad, but can also be scorned by a major character and then disappear (master Sograny, Governor Fiske of Fuerte). Her concept of good characters lie in the Assertive, sometimes aggresively so, characters. Her concept of the most lasting man-woman relationships are f the man is senior to the woman, She does point out in her own works (Damia), that this does not mean stronger, or better. I can actually think of three relationships where the woman was older than the man. Menolly and Piemur, Menolly and Jaxom, Mirrim and Jaxom. these were casual relationships, friends, associates, whichever, but not a strong, intimate, relationship.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7 2008, 11:23 AM   #14
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I'd count the Rowan and Afra as a strong friendship where the woman was older. Afra and Damia are balanced out as a relationship by the fact that while Afra is considerably older, Damia is the stronger Talent and the absolute ruler of her Tower.
Old Nov 10 2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Blue Rider 16
Dylanist

Fan of: The Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern

Sharra was also older by one or two years. Toric used it as an argument when he was trying to convince his kin in RoP that Sharra shouldn't marry Jaxom.
Old Feb 12 2009, 12:02 AM   #16
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

I saw some similarities in Alex (from The Ship Who Searched) and F'nor.

Also another thing that I've noticed lately is that a good part of Anne's male protagonists have yellow-ish eyes of some sort. Afra, green skin, yellow eyes and all, is portrayed as a pretty yummy guy. So's Zainel witth the "butter-colored" eyes, and of course F'lar, whose amber eyes are "light enough to seem golden"(and definitely of the looker persuasion!)
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 12:15 AM   #17
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Red face Re: Similar personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Nip, his real name was Kinsale (named by Anne after a town on the south Irish coast) was a secret-agent or spy-Harper. He was later assisted by Tuck, who'se original name was Traller, thus creating the legendary Harper duo Nip and Tuck...
Also Sebell sugested that he become his aide, just like he was to MasterHaper!

Also Sebell did his own work too for the Harper Hall! Piemer (sp) also Harper at Large or something like that!
RvP: Per I forgot his name, the one who helped with Lady Holdless T can't recall her name either

Yep! Later on in SvP they added Pinch forget how to spell his real name!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Feb 12 2009, 12:48 AM   #18
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
Also Sebell sugested that he become his aide, just like he was to MasterHaper!

Also Sebell did his own work too for the Harper Hall! Piemer (sp) also Harper at Large or something like that!
RvP: Per I forgot his name, the one who helped with Lady Holdless T can't recall her name either

Yep! Later on in SvP they added Pinch forget how to spell his real name!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekelroy
*sniff* how could you forget??
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 01:00 AM   #19
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Red face Re: Similar personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekelroy
*sniff* how could you forget
??

Knew the name not how to spell it!

Being half packed, and have been using more audio media for my sight is hit and miss!

I sometime feel like StarSmith, with my low vision and wating to "see" things!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Feb 12 2009, 01:22 AM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I have seen some similarities in some of Anne's characters [we all have those in real life, normally we call those people friends]...but she also always seems to be able give them thier own personality. Each one seems to have something special and unique, something just their own that she has never given to another character.

I never feel that I am reading about the same characters, only on another world or place. I think thats what has kept Anne's stories so fresh, and interesting...and beloved to her fans.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 12:55 PM   #21
Brenda

Quote:
I saw some similarities in Alex (from The Ship Who Searched) and F'nor.
He likes to party with the girls and wear loud (obnoxious colored) clothing?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote