A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 29 2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Critteranne

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Aurora Floyd by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
Default Signed Slipcased Editions

Has anyone else seen the signed slipcased editions of some Anne McCaffrey novels that were published by Brandywyne Books?

I had trade-in money to spend at a used bookstore (Wonder Books and Video in Frederick, Maryland), and I decided to use it for something "special." Then I checked the extra-special collectible editions in the locked cabinets near the front. Maybe that was a "mistake," because I found a signed slipcased edition of Moreta that went for more than my trade-in money.

But I decided to go for it. (I may not have told anyone how much I paid.) And now it's on display in my bedroom... Isn't that slipcase pretty?

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?419746

It looks like the publisher had ten books -- one Jack Vance and nine Anne McCaffrey titles. As far as I can tell, all were signed editions, and most were limited sets. Has anyone stumbled across one of these? There's one that was limited to just 350 copies!

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pubs_no...eries.cgi?2437
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2021, 03:02 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal
Default Re: Signed Slipcased Editions

Yes! I own several of them, perhaps all the Brandywyne - it's been so long since I was an active collector, I can't recall if I managed to get all of them or not. Mostly they are of her romance/gothic novels, with Moreta being an exception.

There aren't nine different titles, you'll see on that list that several titles are repeated. I don't have my collector's handbook handy any more (my books are sadly packed at present, and I haven't actively collected in many years), but I suspect the difference between the double listed titles with clearly different pricing would have been for signed vs unsigned, or paperback vs hardcover (though that'd be odd for slipcovered versions), or some other variation.

I'm sure Brandywyne also published many other books, they can't have existed just to do a smattering of McCaffrey titles plus one Vance, but I think they were more into romance and thus don't have more listings with isfdb.

On another note... Frederick MD? I assume you live near there?! I'm in a Baltimore suburb, so not that far away! Nice to meet a relatively near collector/fan!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Critteranne

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Aurora Floyd by Mary Elizabeth Braddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Yes! I own several of them, perhaps all the Brandywyne - it's been so long since I was an active collector, I can't recall if I managed to get all of them or not. Mostly they are of her romance/gothic novels, with Moreta being an exception.

There aren't nine different titles, you'll see on that list that several titles are repeated. I don't have my collector's handbook handy any more (my books are sadly packed at present, and I haven't actively collected in many years), but I suspect the difference between the double listed titles with clearly different pricing would have been for signed vs unsigned, or paperback vs hardcover (though that'd be odd for slipcovered versions), or some other variation.

I'm sure Brandywyne also published many other books, they can't have existed just to do a smattering of McCaffrey titles plus one Vance, but I think they were more into romance and thus don't have more listings with isfdb.
That's why I couldn't find more books by that publisher! I tried searching for Brandywyne Books without quotation marks, and Google kept showing me books by Rebecca Brandewyne. Sigh. When I used quotation marks, I found a signed Frederick Forsyth edition and a listing for a bookseller in Laurel, MD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
On another note... Frederick MD? I assume you live near there?! I'm in a Baltimore suburb, so not that far away! Nice to meet a relatively near collector/fan!
I live in Baltimore County, but I often go to the bookstore in Frederick if I have a lot of books to trade in and I can put them in boxes by category. It's a longer drive, but it's more convenient than some options. Even better, I know where to stop on the way back for soft serve.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2021, 03:39 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Yes, I have some too and they are not always Brabdywine editions. Don't forget the special edition of Gil Who Heard Dragons and the slipcase edition of the 3in1 comic book edition. There's also the 30 year anniversary edition of Dragonflight (UK ed.) which I know Cheryl has too. :-)

I think you will find both editions in out special collectors subforum.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brandywyne, collecting, moreta