A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Sep 20 2013, 04:46 PM   #1361
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: What is happening

Rotfl

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2013, 06:23 PM   #1362
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2013, 11:45 PM   #1363
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugai View Post
Just what Mom needs

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21 2013, 01:46 PM   #1364
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
I don't like remakes. Never have.
As a rule I don't like remakes either, but I much prefer the remake of Battlestar Galactica over the rather campy original.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21 2013, 06:39 PM   #1365
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21 2013, 07:12 PM   #1366
Zelandeth
Firestone

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Today I mostly...

Went to Inverness and drove the Skoda home.

Only one minor drama about halfway back when it decided to loose interest in retaining its coolant inside the cooling system. We're not entirely sure at this point if a faulty expansion bottle cap or possible head gasket issues are to blame yet - will be investigated in due course. Even the latter isn't a massive headache as it's such a simple engine.

Been using the pool cars at work a few times lately, and my parents modern motor. After that, this actually feels like a really nice place to be right now.

Seats are comfy too.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21 2013, 09:19 PM   #1367
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

To check for head gasket/cracked head causing coolant loss: Wait until engine is cool. Remove radiator cap ( not overflow "expansion" tank cap). Start engine. If there is a problem with the head gasket being blown into the cooling system, there will usually be significant bubbles visible in the radiator. Also check exhaust pipe for water/coolant. If the car has antifreeze in it (not straight water), then any moisture discharge from the tailpipe should smell of antifreeze. After the car is warmed up to operating temp., the moisture from the tailpipe should be minimal.

Here endeth the lesson.
Old Sep 22 2013, 04:14 PM   #1368
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope it is not a major repair.

I don't think we have those cars over here. Looks like a nice one.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Sep 23 2013, 10:46 AM   #1369
TwoSheds
Darbul

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: The entire Sherlock Holmes collection

Took my daughter to university yesterday (Sunday). She's just starting a three year BA in Film and Television production at Buckinghamshire New University.
TwoSheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23 2013, 06:36 PM   #1370
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Good for her! I hope she really enjoys it! Does she have a preference between film and television? Perhaps that will come later.
Old Sep 24 2013, 06:18 PM   #1371
Zelandeth
Firestone

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Radiator in this case is sealed, there's no cap on it - it's also at the opposite end of the car to the engine!

Suffice to say, the general configuration of this vehicle is rather odd...Think this says a lot about it.

Have had the header tank cap off today though and there weren't any signs of bubbles in there, nor any signs of water from the exhaust - though to be honest I didn't expect to see anything from the exhaust given that it's all of about two feet long and gets roasting hot in seconds! Given that the cooling system is meant to run at about 15psi, but doesn't seem to be building any pressure whatsoever, my money at this point is on a duff cap.

Don't think there's any crud in the system, though I plan to drain and flush it next weekend anyway, as I have no idea how much antifreeze there is (or isn't) in it or when it was last changed. Temperature is perfectly stable and has remained so, only time it went up at all was when it had actually lost a significant amount of coolant.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24 2013, 07:39 PM   #1372
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby got her college aid money last week. She got a check for the difference of what she spent on books and tuition and the amount she was allowed. Up until now she has not had any real money or regular income so has not need a saving or checking account. I took her yesterday to open one. Which was not as easy as it sounds.

We went to the same bank Mom uses, a credit union, they said Kibby need something with physical address on it, in her name. We have post office box. Nothing is mailed to the physical address. Bank tell us to go to DMV and ask that Kibby's physical address is put on her drivers (learner's) permit. So we go all the way over there. Only to be told that the address on the permit must be where we get mail. The permits are mailed to the address on it. DMV person suggest registering to vote, voter ID card will have physical address on it. Kibby fills out the paper work, (she's been wanting to register anyway) only to find out that it will be mailed to her in 30 days. No way to get anything with physical address on it sooner than the 30 days.

I called my niece just to vent. She suggested we go to her bank. Other bank said it was a law that said she had to have something with physical address on it, so I did not think another bank would let her open one without it. That bank asked, but did not require proof, what the physical address was. They set her up with a check and savings acct. It was set up so that if Kibby does not have money in check acct. the debit card would be refused. So unless she writes checks she can not screw it up. It took much longer than I thought it would, but she has banking acct.

I am sitting is student centre at the college while Kibby shots things, archery. I managed to find a seat near an outlet, (they are few and far apart). For once there is only table of gamers tonight. During the day half the centre is filled with gamers. Some time they are even doing school work.

The puppy has decided that everything in the house should be taken outside. Some things she takes out only to bring it back in a few minutes latter. Some times she takes it right back out again, other times she takes it back out the next day. I have lost one pair of shoes. I had put them under the couch, not far enough. Now all shoes are put on top of file cabinet. She is quite silly when she is throwing things in the air or rolling around upside down with a toy in her mouth.

Old Sep 26 2013, 10:02 AM   #1373
TwoSheds
Darbul

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: The entire Sherlock Holmes collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Good for her! I hope she really enjoys it! Does she have a preference between film and television? Perhaps that will come later.
No discernable preference yet. She seems to like both at the moment.
TwoSheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27 2013, 08:41 PM   #1374
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Book fair at the local library today. I did not find as much that interested me as last year. I bought a copy of Green Eggs and Ham to give Mike (as a joke) for Christmas because although he's seen The Grinch he has never read a Dr. Seuss book. I also bought him a 1965 copy of the sheet music to the Beatles song, Yesterday.

The book sale was fairly crowded with a new (to me, anyway) addition. There were a number of book dealers there with hand held devices scanning bar codes on books and filling up boxes as fast as they could. I asked one of the check out people what this is about and she kind of shrugged and said they are checking if books are worth more than the sale is charging. I suppose then a lot of the books show up on-line for much higher prices. Yes, people do need to make a living. There were plenty of books, I guess it did not matter since there was (currently) no rule against it.
Old Sep 28 2013, 01:09 AM   #1375
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Taking kibby to buy some pants tomorrow, movies and the mall. First we get to take 3 year old Seth to my sister who is staying with my niece. Melissa had a hysterectomy week before last and is have a lot of problems. She is on best rest, if she is not better by Monday she will be going to hospital. We have the youngest one most of next week.

On the 12 we are going to the Commonwealth Virginia University for their open house.
They have a good photo program. Then on Sunday we are going to an amusement park, Kings Dominion. They will be having a lot of Halloween stuff going on.

Old Sep 28 2013, 01:11 AM   #1376
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Without moving I see one sleeping 3 year old, three sleeping dogs, two sleeping cats, and I can hear Mom snoring. I think they are trying to tell me that it is time to go to sleep.

Old Sep 28 2013, 04:10 AM   #1377
Hans
Master Archivist

Cilla, checking bar codes for a possible profit sound like taking all the fun out of book hunting! Rules, or no rules, the wouldn't have checked my stall. As long as those books are not sold, they are mine!
I understand about maing a living. But I also understand about giving all customers equal rights and chances ;-)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Sep 28 2013, 07:57 AM   #1378
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Hans, I agree with you. Unfortunately there were no individually owned stalls as this was a book sale to benefit the local library, organized and run by volunteers. I'm not sure I want to go again after this experience. I may stick with our gloriously confusing used book store about an hour away. About time for another visit there!
Old Oct 2 2013, 12:25 PM   #1379
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Just had a phone conversation with my best friend who is here "permanently" to care for her parents who are 96 and 99, still living in their own home. This sounds fine, except they need someone with them all the time and finding someone reliable and trustworthy is not easy. They have tried it, and had things stolen, etc. So, Sue has had to come here from Colorado where her husband, home and small business are located to care for them. They are both still in sound mind, though obviously not as mobile as when they were younger. Her mom is in a wheelchair and her dad uses a walker. Anyway, she now needs to find someone to care for them for about 3 weeks so she can get back out there to Colorado and help her husband completely empty out the condo they rent. Yes, it got badly flooded and the owner is going to have to do a lot of work on it, so they have to get out. Also, their shop (native American art and jewelry) had water damage and needs work. As much as I love Sue, I am not up for living 24 hours a day with her parents for three weeks, so I will not be offering. What a mess this has caused!
Old Oct 3 2013, 08:45 PM   #1380
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to stay with the parents either.

Not much going on. Kibby is sick, she did not want to go to 4H today. She skipped classes yesterday, she had no classes today. I'm taking her to Dr. tomorrow. I hate her missing so much school. I miss the days when I did not have to worry about her missing school.

Old Oct 3 2013, 08:52 PM   #1381
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Priscilla give 'zen hugs' to your best friend, I feel for your friend my grandmother is 88 and has lost most of her hearing.

I've had a few things going on, that partly why I haven't been on.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2013, 06:44 AM   #1382
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Hope to 'see' you all on Monday. I'm on the op table tomorrow morning. It's only for repairing a minor hernia but I really hate anaestetics. I find it very hard to trust a stranger to keep me alive.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2013, 01:28 PM   #1383
Hans
Master Archivist

Good luck, Peter. We'll think of you.

Old Oct 4 2013, 01:36 PM   #1384
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Will be thinking of you as well and planning on hearing how you're doing very soon!
Old Oct 4 2013, 08:31 PM   #1385
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Best wishes P'ter.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Oct 5 2013, 09:09 AM   #1386
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: acorna's children second wave

hang in there, P'ter!!
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5 2013, 04:35 PM   #1387
Lily

Know how you feel, P'ter. Good luck. If they don't succeed you can sue them!!!!

( I'm sure you'll be just fine )
Old Oct 5 2013, 09:41 PM   #1388
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

I hope everything "comes out" all right, P'ter.
Old Oct 6 2013, 01:56 PM   #1389
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Luckily nothing had to come out: more a case of tucking back in.

Had three different hospital beds in twelve hours: is this record?

Back home, slightly sore.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Oct 6 2013, 02:37 PM   #1390
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

SO glad to hear from you! Rest and relax! 3 hospital beds? That seems like a bit much!
Old Oct 6 2013, 02:47 PM   #1391
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

As a day-case I was admitted to the Appleby Suite. Then, because I live alone, they transferred me to the Benyon Short-stay Suite straight from theatre; where I was sharing a six-bed bay with a guy who'd been there since Thursday, 'cos they weren't happy with his recovery. A few hours later they found out why he wasn't doing very well: he had viral meningitis! So I was transferred to another six-bed bay on my own, while they moved him to isolation and then deep-cleaned that bay.

C. S. Lewis

Old Oct 6 2013, 06:43 PM   #1392
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Well, glad you're back home, P'ter, and hope you're soon over the soreness.
Old Oct 6 2013, 11:31 PM   #1393
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Glad to hear you're home. Hope you are taking it easy for the next few days.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Oct 7 2013, 01:31 PM   #1394
Hans
Master Archivist

Very glad you are home safe, Peter. Hope they tucked it all in, in a nice way. Handsome urse? With your luck you probably had a male nurse

Old Oct 9 2013, 12:35 AM   #1395
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Ouch P'ter... Glad you didn't catch the meningitis!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9 2013, 05:50 AM   #1396
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Hans: no she was middle-aged and rotund.

Granath: a little early to say.

I'm taking today off college to get my wound checked. I think it's leaking a bit internally.

C. S. Lewis

Old Oct 9 2013, 09:52 PM   #1397
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Halloween!

Old Oct 10 2013, 08:38 PM   #1398
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Looks spooky

Old Oct 11 2013, 01:07 PM   #1399
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King

Your decorations are so much fun!

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2013, 01:43 PM   #1400
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We add a little bit every year. This year it is the giant inflatable pumpkin on the porch. Jenn's boyfriend got it last year after the holiday for $5. The eyes twirl round and round. We have a lot of fun!