A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jul 22 2013, 04:37 PM   #1201
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: What is happening

That bridge in Texas went down well didn't it?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22 2013, 05:24 PM   #1202
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I congratulate all the Brits with the new royal baby boy. If all goes like planned your country will have kings for many decades to come.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22 2013, 06:38 PM   #1203
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I'm very happy for them!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2013, 05:07 AM   #1204
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I see that CNN streamed the news at the same time as they streamed the death of a baby. OOPS!

I'm happy the wait is over but, unfortunately, we seem to do best with a queen.

The Queen has (allegedly) blogged that Kate was fine but Wills needed the epidural.

After three weeks of drought/heatwave we've now had six and a half hours of thunder storm.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Last edited by P'ter; Jul 23 2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jul 23 2013, 03:06 PM   #1205
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

I know that MoM has no connection with the NKT, other than some of the same members. But I was just there, and found a page saying "This account has been suspended".

I have no way to contact anyone there. I'm hoping someone here can get in touch with someone in the know over there, and find out what's going on. Please?

Outside of the site, I need to get in touch with Sharon and Mausey, if possible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 23 2013, 03:23 PM   #1206
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh my gosh! I thought it was just me. I still go there to read even though I haven't posted in years. I have both Sharon &Mausey on FB and will contact them for you.
Old Jul 23 2013, 04:11 PM   #1207
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Oh my gosh! I thought it was just me. I still go there to read even though I haven't posted in years. I have both Sharon &Mausey on FB and will contact them for you.
Thank you! You can pass along my email address from here, and when I hear from them, I'll get them an even better one. I have this one and one other that I "put out there" in case of slurp spiders who like to flood people with junk email. I have another that I keep private, for "real" contacts. So if you need to post this address for them, that's fine.

The reason I need to be able to get in touch with them is that they've both commissioned chain maille pieces from me, and I'll be needing to talk to them when I get my parts and get them done.

I think I'll try to set up a Facebook page for the chain maille and wire wrap jewelry; I'll try to get started on it tonight.

Again, thank you for your help. Keep me posted if you find out what's going on over there.
Old Jul 23 2013, 04:21 PM   #1208
Hans
Master Archivist

I suppose they forgot to pay the hosting fees? I know the late Ian (YorkHarper) financed the NKT until even after his death. This is very sad.

Hmm, could also be that they got hacked and deemed unsafe. That once happened before if I remember correctly.

Cilla, if any of the old admin from over there tell you the reason, please post it in here in a new post?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 23 2013, 04:57 PM   #1209
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Absolutely, Hans. And I'm pretty sure the fees have been paid up for this year. I think Ian was paying for the chat room only, as it was an area he particularly loved. The hosts have been paying the rest. Someone has mentioned to me that they think this has happened before and that it turned out to be that the power went out wherever the server is located. Once power was back on the KT came back again. Hopefully that is all it is. Your hacking idea is not one I like to contemplate!
Old Jul 23 2013, 05:27 PM   #1210
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

It might be cash flow. They like folks to chip in via paypal.

The storm this morning really disrupted rushhour. The trains (electric) were out of action, and so was the metro (tram) service.

And, there was flooding on the adjacent motorway.

C. S. Lewis

Old Jul 23 2013, 06:18 PM   #1211
Lily

NKT has paid their account fairly recently with donations. So this glitch (and I cant get in either) has no doubt got them jumping up and down in frustration and they'll deal with it soonest. I think the chat room disappeared some time ago
Old Jul 23 2013, 11:33 PM   #1212
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Someone on the PF FB page said they were hit by a virus Lily. Don't know how true that is, but it would explain a bit.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2013, 08:54 AM   #1213
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

KT still down.

Hubby had a large cyst removed from his wrist yesterday, so he is out of action for a couple of weeks. The worst part was we had to be there at 5:30 am. We had to leave here at 3:30 am. Normally it takes close to 2 hours to get to UVA, but going that early we did not hit any traffic or road work. We got there about 4:45, the main doors were still locked. A construction worker had to let us in. (UVA is always under construction)

University of Virginia was founded a VERY long time ago by Thomas Jefferson, I have to wonder what he would think of the university (which the hospital is part of) as it is now.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2013, 10:40 AM   #1214
Hans
Master Archivist

A virus for NKT outage? Yeah, I think that has happened once before. The admin will have to probably clean the software installation and reinstall from backups. I wish them good luck.

Mawra, ouch. Does it bother him much? Ah well, at least they got rid of the cyst, which must be good otherwise he wouldn't have had it done I suppose? Rotten place to have something like that though, although there are even worse places...

Old Jul 24 2013, 03:53 PM   #1215
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

It did not bother him a whole lot, but in the last few months it had been getting bigger. He goes back on Aug.5 to get the bandges off, until then I get to drive everywhere.

He said it was about 4CM. long and was starting to grow into his joint. Much to have it out than not.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Jul 25 2013, 11:55 AM   #1216
Susan

Loo Cow

Fan of: The Mark of Merlin
Now Reading: re-reading the Outlander series

Been a long time since I've been over here...

Life is going pretty good. Older two kids (18 and 16) graduated high school back on June 1st. Kaitlyn will start college this fall and has begun working part-time at Copy Corner in their graphics arts department. She's still working on completing her driver's license driving hour requirements. Rowan is taking time off but he'll be applying to start college next year. Since he's only 16, there is no rush. The youngest will be 14 in August. He's starts high school this year. Since he's in band, he's already had 2 summer camps (8 days total) and will start summer band on August 1st. School starts August 26th.

I had planned to have my knees replaced this summer, but wound up instead having emergency abdominal surgery for blocked small intestine (herniated bowel). Knees will be replaced around Christmas time so that I have time to accumulate enough leave to be off work 4 - 6 weeks. Luckily my job can be done mostly from home, so I can work split shift (6-10 am, go to therapy and have lunch, then work 2-6 pm) or even just part-time.

Husband fell while at work on November 28th. He shattered his right wrist (and of course he is right handed) and broke his left ankle at the same time. The wrist has a 2% permanent impairment. We'll see how his job goes since he's a plumber... they've already moved him from doing plumbing to the warehouse where he's driving around making delivery of items and picking up items from store(s) locally.

Life goes on...

Oh, and I just yesterday found out we have been given permission to go to Washington DC in May to march in the Memorial Day parade along the Mall. Now to fund raise like crazy mad to get the $3000 for me & Aidan to go. Kaitlyn has to earn her own $1500, but she also would like to go and participate since this was never an option for her 4 years in band. She owns her own clarinet so she could easily practice and play to go with the band.

We'll see how it goes.

Susan
AidansMom on NKT
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25 2013, 12:21 PM   #1217
Hans
Master Archivist

Good to hear you are all doing relatively fine despite setbacks, health problems and accidents! You're a tough lot

Old Jul 25 2013, 07:38 PM   #1218
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Congrats on your 2 graduating high school, Suzan.

Kibby is having problems in her photo class. The teacher ants technically correct pics, Kibby does not like how some of the pics come out and does not wa nt to do them the way the teacher wants them done. She also did not understand some of the stuff the teacher wanted. Kibby is not good when it comes to asking for help or talking one on one. I went with her today to talk to her teacher. I think Kibby understands what the teacher is looking for.

I am not sure how to help her learn how to communicate with her teachers when she is having problems. I am going to talk to one of the school councilors next week.

Old Jul 26 2013, 12:58 PM   #1219
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Today I'm having lunch with my best friend at a "Diner and Vegetarian Enclave". This should be interesting and hopefully not disastrous.
Old Jul 26 2013, 05:26 PM   #1220
Lily

I'm sure it will be delicious, you might be surprised. Do let us know
I went to a most interesting vegetarian supper a while back and was most surprised at the variety of interesting dishes that were available.
Old Jul 26 2013, 05:46 PM   #1221
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

What I had was good. A cheeseburger with mushrooms, not exactly vegetarian. There was a huge mound of french fries as well. If I'd known there would be so many I would have asked if they could substitute a vegetable. They also offered vegan food but that didn't interest us. Then we came back to my house so Sue could meet our two year old kittens. She & I both love cats. Sue lives in Colorado now so we only get to see each other a couple times a year when she comes to visit her parents, who are now 96 and 99!
Old Jul 27 2013, 12:18 AM   #1222
Allen

I now have a Facebook page for the jewelry, called Made in the Shade Jewelry & Things. See what you think, and hit the like button if you think it's appropriate. Feedback welcome. It's still being developed, so I can use all the criticism and suggestions I can get.

Here's Sharon's bracelet

Detail pic to show the color pattern a bit better

Edit: Thanks Hans. I forgot that I turned the pics and eliminated the duplicates.

I chose the name because on Saturdays I"m usually sitting in the shade of my canopy at the outdoor flea market, working on the jewelry. This is my first attempt at putting together a web page, so I'm afraid it looks pretty rough.

Last edited by Allen; Jul 27 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27 2013, 04:11 AM   #1223
Hans
Master Archivist

Looks like you moved the pics after putting the links up, Allen.

I like the "brand name" you have chosen

Last edited by Hans; Jul 27 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Jul 27 2013, 07:23 AM   #1224
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Sorry, didn't think to post over here. Yes the account is suspened on the AMCF site. No it's not due to non payment.

Yes it's due to apparently someone/thing put malicious coding throughout the whole site.

We're trying to get a hold of our tech person to fix it. And yes Hans you're correct the site has to be totally rebuilt apparently.
And that's not something I could even begin to attempt.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27 2013, 06:14 PM   #1225
Hans
Master Archivist

Ouch Kat, that's a pain.

But I also read you are already up and running again. Congrats!

Old Jul 28 2013, 09:10 PM   #1226
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I am at my niece's birthday. She is now 5 years old.
It is very loud here. It is not helping my head pain.

Old Jul 29 2013, 07:20 AM   #1227
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Leaving this morning for Pa. My mother's sister passed away Saturday morning. This might get...interesting. The dynamics between her four children is dysfunctional, at best.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2013, 07:43 AM   #1228
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm sorry to hear it, AnnMarie. On both counts...

Old Jul 29 2013, 03:35 PM   #1229
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope they can pull together at least for a few days, AnneMarie.

Old Jul 29 2013, 04:35 PM   #1230
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Ann Marie, I'm really sorry. That sounds like my mother and her sisters. While their mother was alive she kept them under control, once she was gone their true natures came out. Let's just say it wasn't pretty but it did give me examples of what NOT to be like!
Old Jul 30 2013, 12:35 PM   #1231
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby is happy, someone droped out of archery and she scooped up the vacant spot. Now she will be taking 14 credits this fall. One class is for two hours a day for 3 days and an hour class for two or three weeks.

Old Aug 1 2013, 01:12 AM   #1232
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Leaving this morning for Pa. My mother's sister passed away Saturday morning. This might get...interesting. The dynamics between her four children is dysfunctional, at best.
I'm sorry to read about your loss
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1 2013, 10:40 AM   #1233
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Tell Kibby that, as an archer, I'm glad she's taking it up. When she knows what she's doing we could do a postal shoot.

C. S. Lewis

Old Aug 1 2013, 10:41 AM   #1234
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I just had to post twice to get this post number.

C. S. Lewis

Old Aug 2 2013, 05:15 PM   #1235
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

P'ter, since you like cool number sequences you may like this. When I came home from shopping yesterday I happened to notice that the odometer on my car read 44,444. Naturally I had to take a picture of it. I'll upload it in the next day or two. And speaking of cars, "our" Mike has just paid off his motorcycle and bought a 2014 Subaru Forester. Lovely metallic blue with a lot of nice extras. He's got a full time teaching job this fall so can at last afford something new! A funny story to go with the car purchase. As he and Jenn were leaving the showroom to get in the car the salesman had given him a folder with the extra keys in it along with some paperwork. One of the keys slipped out, bounced and hopped into a sewer drain grate on the ground. Eeeeep! The salesman went inside and got a magnet that he attached to a broom handle and went "fishing" - bringing the key up wet but still useable.
Old Aug 2 2013, 06:53 PM   #1236
Lily

Congratulations on the new car - it sounds as if the salesman has done that before, doesn't it?
I wonder what else he might fish up?
Old Aug 2 2013, 08:50 PM   #1237
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Home again, and I managed NOT to punch anyone, although the temptation was soooo there! On the brighter side, we stayed with my oldest cousin in that group; she drives a 1996 Mustang convertible... Kidling was soooo stoked to ride shotgun in THAT!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2 2013, 09:23 PM   #1238
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Very proud of you for not punching anyone! A Mustang convertible? Cool!

I just took a pair of garden shears to the rhododendron bush outside the window. It was so overgrown I couldn't see the bird feeder. I gave it quite a haircut. I can get get carried away with a pair of clippers in my hands. Now I can see the feeder and the birdbath!
Old Aug 3 2013, 12:16 AM   #1239
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I am proud of you, AnnMarie, for not giving into temptation. Car sound cool.

Old Aug 4 2013, 06:17 PM   #1240
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Here's that odometer in my car with all the 4's.