A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Feb 27 2008, 11:15 AM   #161
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Oh yes, now THAT I go for... Ian McKellen as Robinton.

As much as I like Patrick Stewart... for some reason, I was thinking if anyone, he'd be maybe T'ron...

Let's see.....

F'lar ...
Lessa ....
Robinton..... Ian McKellan
Lytol ...Mark Harmon
F'nor
Brekke
Kaylara
Thella ... Michelle Pfieffer
Fax ....Rutgar Hauer
Grothe.... David McCallum
Oldive ... Timothy Dalton
Jayge
Arimina
Mihall
Torene
K'vin
Zulaya
Flandral...Robbie Coltrain
Leri ...Betty White

As you can see...still thinking about the rest

Last edited by AnnMarie; Feb 28 2008 at 08:51 PM.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2008, 06:24 PM   #162
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Mar 8 2008 at 10:35 AM.
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2008, 06:42 PM   #163
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Ghyle, you have me chuckling big time.

Actually I was thinking the guy who played John Coffee in Stephen King's "The Green Mile", he's perfect for Fanderal as he's got the length and breadth of a smith working all his life.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2008, 08:52 PM   #164
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I have ammended my listing
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29 2008, 12:42 PM   #165
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Looking at Robin's painting of Groghe, I can think of only one person for the role - Leslie Nielson . . .
and I feature Richard Moll (from his work as Bull on Night Court) to do a more credible Camo. David McCallum is more my preference for Lytol . . . I watched Man From U.N.C.L.E. too . . .
Ghyle ! Your choices . . . why not go out on a limb and make George Clooney play F'lar ?
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29 2008, 01:58 PM   #166
Cherlyn
Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Heck, why not Robin Williams as Robinton?
Why not go way out on a limb and put Jim Carrey as Robinton ?
Right now IMDb shows him filming ANOTHER version of A Christmas Carol playing not just Ebenezzer, but the 3 ghosts as well !
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Old Mar 1 2008, 02:28 AM   #167
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Personally I'd like to suggest Peter Cushing as Robinton, he definitely had the face, and the precise speech seemed to be a harper (dare I say) religion, never saw him play a role that had him fairly light hearted, F'lar, I might go with a young Johnathan Frakes, could just hear his voice when F'lar commented on Ramoth "she grows sleek"
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2008, 03:59 PM   #168
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherlyn View Post
Why not go way out on a limb and put Jim Carrey as Robinton ?
Right now IMDb shows him filming ANOTHER version of A Christmas Carol playing not just Ebenezzer, but the 3 ghosts as well !
Nah, William Shatner would be better
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2008, 01:57 AM   #169
ghost8772

shatner...... would be obvious to have HIM as Benden, but maybe shake it up a trifle. have him as Joel Liliencamp.
Old Mar 3 2008, 11:18 AM   #170
Brenda

lalalaI'M NOT LISTENINGlalalalalalalala
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2008, 02:42 PM   #171
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

*malicious cackle*
Old Mar 7 2008, 12:55 AM   #172
ghost8772

Obviously missing a joke there.
Old Mar 7 2008, 07:03 PM   #173
Brenda

They were talking about William Shatner in the same sentence as the Pern Movie. :shudder:
Old Mar 8 2008, 01:25 PM   #174
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
They were talking about William Shatner in the same sentence as the Pern Movie. :shudder:
I don't see both "William Shatner" and "Pern movie" in EITHER of those sentences...

Quote:
Nah, William Shatner would be better
Quote:
shatner...... would be obvious to have HIM as Benden, but maybe shake it up a trifle. have him as Joel Liliencamp.
Old Mar 9 2008, 04:13 AM   #175
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

*snorts drink*

Sorry, but I keep getting Denny Crane on Pern here...damn you Boston Legal!

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2008, 11:36 AM   #176
Cherlyn
Crafter

Could always have Shatner play Stev Kimmer . . . and get the time machine out for Dan Blocker to be Fandarel . . . I keep wanting to stick Richard Belzer, Sam Waterston, and Vincent D'Onofrio into the movie somewhere . . . along with William Petersen, David Caruso, and Khandi Alexander . . . shows you what programs I've been watching . . .
Old Mar 9 2008, 10:34 PM   #177
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I would love to have your ideas on some of the charactors...

Jayge
Arimina
Mihall
Torene
K'vin
Zulaya

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 10 2008, 03:37 PM   #178
ghost8772

well from the description of K'Vin, maybe Rupert Grint, red hair, threatening scowl non-existant.... yeah I know, Ron Weasley, but can't think of any other redheads. Same with Mihall.... Maybe one of the Older Weasleys. Maybe the people who hire actors could be taken from the Potter crew, they did get fairly close originally.
Old Mar 10 2008, 09:38 PM   #179
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason769 View Post
How about these.

F'lar- Eric Bana
F'nor- Orlando Bloom
Lessa- Natalie Portman
Fandrel- Michael Clark Duncan
Robinton- Sean Connery

Michael Clark Duncan the way he looked in "The Green Mile"
In my personal opinion, I totally agree that Orlando Bloom is practically custom-made for the part of F'nor!(and if he can handle being an elf and a pirate, he can probably handle telepathy with a dragon)

Many moons ago, when I first started reading Pern, I was thinking maybe Tommy Lee Jones for an older F'lar (he's good-looking, and he's got the leadership thing going on), and I still kinda agree with myself.

As for others. . . Lessa's a tough one to figure out- I agree with Catherine Zeta Jones, but also agree that she is much too tall! Lessa's tiny.

Sean Connery would be perfect as Robinton- but can he sing and do other Harper stuff? Daniel Radcliff would make a good young Jaxom, come to think of it.

For this last, we might have to skip around a bit in time, but on dragonback that shouldn't be too much of a problem. . . Tom Cruise the way he looked and behaved in Top Gun for F'lessan. OK, don't flame me, I have a copy of People of Pern and that's what I thought when I saw him. Wow, he looks like Tom Cruise. . .
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11 2008, 09:37 AM   #180
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
Many moons ago, when I first started reading Pern, I was thinking maybe Tommy Lee Jones for an older F'lar (he's good-looking, and he's got the leadership thing going on), and I still kinda agree with myself.
For this last, we might have to skip around a bit in time, but on dragonback that shouldn't be too much of a problem. . . Tom Cruise the way he looked and behaved in Top Gun for F'lessan. OK, don't flame me, I have a copy of People of Pern and that's what I thought when I saw him. Wow, he looks like Tom Cruise. . .
If you like Tommy Lee Jones as an older F'lar, then you should like Josh Hartnett as a younger F'lar (and he was born in 1978, so the age is correct for a DF F'lar).

And everyone knows that John Stamos is the perfect F'lessan. (The Robin Wood portrait in the People of Pern is based off of him. )

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2008, 02:24 AM   #181
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

' Scuse me for asking, but who is John Stamos??

Josh Hartnett- now that'd be interesting! Hmm. . .
Old Mar 14 2008, 12:53 PM   #182
Brenda

John Stamos - so THAT'S why the name sounded familiar! It's Uncle Jesse from Full House! Wow, he looks different in those photos!
Old Mar 15 2008, 02:22 AM   #183
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
I would love to have your ideas on some of the charactors...

Torene

Zulaya
Casting a Pern movie would almost demand unknowns for many roles because of the characters' ages. I would absolutely love to employ a bevy of great actors, but they're the wrong ages, mostly too old, especially for the women.

A more age-appropriate casting might be Andie McDowell as Zulaya, but even she's probably ten years too old for the character. Kate Beckinsale and Rhona Mitra are probably ten years too young. Kristin Davis is the right age, but I haven't seen her in a serious role, only comedy. Might have to fall back on Jennifer Connelly. Beckinsale or Mitra might make a good Torene.

I think Ali Larter would make a wonderful Kylara, but she's in her 30s and the character would be in her late-teens and twenties.

I can see Milla Jovovich as Sorka.

Judi Dench as Leri.

Lessa is so singular in appearance (tiny, jet-hair, extremely pale, grey-eyed, thin, buxom and attractive in a harsh way) as to be entirely problematic. I can't think of a single likeness. Maybe Mira Furlan as an older Lessa, but she's too tall.

Less of a problem would be casting Lytol, and I'd probably use Ed Harris. Someone like Patrick Stewart or Sean Connery would be too trite in the role.

Two actors of very similar features would have to be chosen for F'lar and F'nor and none come immediately to mind, especially very dark-haired men. Some have mentioned Hugh Jackman, but I see him as just a little too good-looking. The same goes for John Stamos. Maybe Keifer Sutherland for F'lar, as he has the necessary intensity.

Kal Penn would probably be a good choice for Sebell (and if that shocks you remember that Sebell is repeatedly described as "brown" and there is a fair-sized Indian component to Pern's population).

Hugh Laurie could probably pull off Robinton. The razor wit, keen humor, and mercurial changes of disposition (think about the post-Impression scenes with Lytol and the others).

Tuomas Holopainen would be a wonderful stunt-casting of Domick but he may be too young.

Liv Kristine Espenaes Krull would be a good stunt-casting for Merelan at the right age.

Alyson Michalka might make a good Menolly and she knows her way around a guitar.

The suggestion of Robbie Coltrane for Fandarel is not bad, but you could also go with John Rhys Davies. Of course, JRD is such a character there are a number of places he could be used, such as Lord Holders. Oliver Platt would be another good Fandarel, if you wanted him younger, but I could also see Platt as a good Fax, especially for a fight scene--big, but surprisingly fast and dangerous.

I'd love to cast George Takei as Shonagar, just because I can hear his voice uttering some of Shonagar's lines, but alas, even if he began eating to excess immediately, I can't see Takei ever getting up to sumo-weight, and I have no idea if he can sing. I suspect he can, but I don't know.

As various harpers, I'd have to stunt-cast Simone Simons, Sabine Edelsbacher, Carmen Elise Espenaes, Birgit Ollbrunner, Christina Scabbia, Enya Brennan, Andrea Ferro, Marco Hietala, Geoff Tate, Sharon den Adel, Nancy Wilson, Loreena McKennitt, Alexander Krull and the rest of the musicians of Leaves' Eyes. I'd love to see Hietala and Wilson play together acoustic, and hearing Brennan and Simons on the same song would be fantastic (I love mezzos--I even married one).

Scott Glenn as D'ram. He's another that could pull off Lytol as well, but I've always seen D'ram as taller than Lytol and Ed Harris is too good to waste.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Mar 15 2008 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Typo and addition
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15 2008, 10:57 AM   #184
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
ElectricDragon....A more age-appropriate casting might be Andie McDowell as Zulaya, but even she's probably ten years too old for the character. Kate Beckinsale and Rhona Mitra are probably ten years too young. Kristin Davis is the right age, but I haven't seen her in a serious role, only comedy. Might have to fall back on Jennifer Connelly. Beckinsale or Mitra might make a good Torene.
Thank you for your interestin ideas...I might see if I can use one of them in a Character Portrait.

As for Torene... since the first time I saw her....I have seen
Sophia Miles as that character...only with much shorter hair.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...es-Posters.jpg

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 16 2008, 10:36 PM   #185
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
John Stamos - so THAT'S why the name sounded familiar! It's Uncle Jesse from Full House! Wow, he looks different in those photos!

Oh yeah, him. Wow, he does look like F'lessan. I've never been that much a fan of Full House, but sometimes I did used to enjoy watching Uncle Jesse. Now I know why. . .
Old Mar 16 2008, 11:24 PM   #186
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Thank you for your interestin ideas...I might see if I can use one of them in a Character Portrait.

As for Torene... since the first time I saw her....I have seen
Sophia Miles as that character...only with much shorter hair.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...es-Posters.jpg
Not Eastern European enough for what I saw in my mind's eye. Her last name is Ostrovsky, so I picture a thin, black-haired Russian ice-queen. More of a dark-haired Maria Sharapova although not so much of a giantess. Of course, everyone imagines something a little different.
Old Mar 16 2008, 11:26 PM   #187
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Another actor who could probably pull off Robinton: Jeremy Irons.

And if you could find someone to play his younger half-brother, Clive Owen would be right for F'lar. Maybe give Keifer Sutherland the role of Toric...
Old Mar 17 2008, 12:55 AM   #188
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Hmmmmmm

If I could go back in time and get him as he looked in The Great Escape I'd have Donald Pleasence as Terry, Fandarel's right hand man.

Keifer doesn't strike me as the right physical style for Toric, lookiing at Robin Wood's portrait of him.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2008, 01:15 AM   #189
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugai View Post
Hmmmmmm

If I could go back in time and get him as he looked in The Great Escape I'd have Donald Pleasence as Terry, Fandarel's right hand man.

Keifer doesn't strike me as the right physical style for Toric, lookiing at Robin Wood's portrait of him.
I'm not a fan of Robin Wood's work. It's fine to attach actors to the characters if you're casting. If you're painting a portrait of the character I consider simply painting an actor's or a model's face to be poor work. You should try to create the character as described by the author, not paint a portrait from life of a convenient person. That's a matter of personal taste and opinion, certainly, so Wood's work has no influence on my casting choices. Note what I said above regarding casting Kal Penn as Sebell. Wood's painting does not match Sebell's description in DSi.
Old Mar 17 2008, 11:14 AM   #190
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Pierce Brosnan (James Bond, Dante's Peak, Thomas Crown, Remington Steele) would be my choice for Robinton. I've heard that he has also expressed an interest in playing him.

Here is the age of some of the characters:

Ok, so when DF (2505) starts, it looks like we have the following ages:

F'lar - 30
Lessa - 21
F'nor - 27
Robinton - 53
Groghe - Within a few years of Robinton
Fax (Indeterminate age - probably 40's - early 50's?)
R'gul, S'lel - 54
Menolly - 5
Jaxom - 0 (born at beginning of book)
Piemur - 1?
F'lessan - Not born
Mirrim - ?
Manora (F'nor's mother) - 48 to 54

DQ starts in 2515
TWD starts in 2519 (Most of TWD in 2522/2523)

I used a timeline in the PERN encyclopedia to get these ages.

I'd like to note that Pierce Brosnan is 54 years old, so he is almost exactly the right age to play Robinton at the beginning of DF.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2008, 01:47 PM   #191
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Quote:

And if you could find someone to play his younger half-brother, Clive Owen would be right for F'lar. Maybe give Keifer Sutherland the role of Toric...
Hmmm, I like those choices! Jeromy Irons has the right look, but I think his voice is a bit too gravelly... I always imagined Robinton's voice as deep, smooth, and pleasant.

Clive Owen is one of the VERY few people I can picture as F'lar.
Old Mar 17 2008, 09:01 PM   #192
IamJuicy420
Inactive

Fan of: F'lar/Lessa F'nor/Brekke
Now Reading: Morettas Ride

Alright, so I have been thinking about this for a long time......
Lessa needs to be played by Kiera Knightley,
I believe she could make a GREAT Lessa!

And I would want Mathew Mcfayden in there somewhere, and definatly Timothy Dalton, hmmmm....

I believe Heath Ledger would have been amazing! (RIP)

Orlando Bloom would be a good choice for a number of characters!

Elija Wood, and Viggo Mortenson of course.... ugh I'm going nuts I had so many good ideas... and now I'm drawing a blank!

BUT definatly Kiera Knightley as Lessa, everytime I read about Lessa I think of her.... James Mccavoy could do descent I think...

I'm going to have to read the books again and get back to thinking about it... well either way I'm going to see it, and am very excited! :P
IamJuicy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2008, 09:06 PM   #193
IamJuicy420
Inactive

ooo Yes and Garrett Hedlund, and I like the idea of John Stamos, possibly....

I just hope the cast they choose... is a GREAT cast, I can't wait to see who the cast is!
Old Mar 18 2008, 12:20 AM   #194
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
Pierce Brosnan (James Bond, Dante's Peak, Thomas Crown, Remington Steele) would be my choice for Robinton. I've heard that he has also expressed an interest in playing him.

Here is the age of some of the characters:

Ok, so when DF (2505) starts, it looks like we have the following ages:

F'lar - 30
Lessa - 21
F'nor - 27
Robinton - 53
Groghe - Within a few years of Robinton
Fax (Indeterminate age - probably 40's - early 50's?)
R'gul, S'lel - 54
Menolly - 5
Jaxom - 0 (born at beginning of book)
Piemur - 1?
F'lessan - Not born
Mirrim - ?
Manora (F'nor's mother) - 48 to 54

DQ starts in 2515
TWD starts in 2519 (Most of TWD in 2522/2523)

I used a timeline in the PERN encyclopedia to get these ages.

I'd like to note that Pierce Brosnan is 54 years old, so he is almost exactly the right age to play Robinton at the beginning of DF.

GH
Okay, Brosnan might work. I don't know if I'm sold on it, but it's worth consideration. Have to mull that one over. I think my key hang-up is these days he's physically more solid than I picture Robinton.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Mar 18 2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 18 2008, 12:24 AM   #195
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Hmmm, I like those choices! Jeromy Irons has the right look, but I think his voice is a bit too gravelly... I always imagined Robinton's voice as deep, smooth, and pleasant.

Clive Owen is one of the VERY few people I can picture as F'lar.
Yeah, I've settled on Owen as F'lar. Not quite sure I want to go as far as pairing him up with Ioann Gryfydd again to get the F'lar/F'nor pairing although...they do play well against each other and it would probably work.

You may be right about Irons, and I don't know how well he sings. Great actor, however. I think I still favor Hugh Laurie, although I have to give due consideration of the suggestion of Brosnan.

I think Robinton's supposed to be a baritone, so his voice isn't all that deep, unlike Shonagar.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Mar 18 2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Addition
Old Mar 18 2008, 12:33 AM   #196
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJuicy420 View Post
Alright, so I have been thinking about this for a long time......
Lessa needs to be played by Kiera Knightley,
I believe she could make a GREAT Lessa!

And I would want Mathew Mcfayden in there somewhere, and definatly Timothy Dalton, hmmmm....

I believe Heath Ledger would have been amazing! (RIP)

Orlando Bloom would be a good choice for a number of characters!

Elija Wood, and Viggo Mortenson of course.... ugh I'm going nuts I had so many good ideas... and now I'm drawing a blank!

BUT definatly Kiera Knightley as Lessa, everytime I read about Lessa I think of her.... James Mccavoy could do descent I think...

I'm going to have to read the books again and get back to thinking about it... well either way I'm going to see it, and am very excited! :P
I don't want to say it--something about it just makes me rebel at the notion--but you may have a point about Knightley. She has the eyes and she could pull off the petulance. But can she get the character's gravitas...I'm not sure. She always comes off as immature (I think it's her voice) and Lessa drips with maturity most of the time having had rather too little of a childhood and too early an adulthood. Still, I haven't a better suggestion.

Ledger was good, but that's a moot point now.

Orlando Bloom is over-exposed and there isn't a single character I see him matching in my mind's eye. Scratch that, maybe he could play N'ton, but he'd have to bulk up a bit. Seems a little scrawny across the shoulders for N'ton.

I have no use for Elija Wood and again can't see him matching a character in my mind's eye.

Mortensen I could easily use in a number of roles, particularly a hard-bitten Oldtimer. Unfortunately, he doesn't match the descriptions of T'ron and T'kul, and he's too old for G'narish, so that leaves him as a possible D'ram alongside Scott Glenn. I don't think he's young enough for T'bor and certainly not N'ton. He could also play any number of Lord Holders. As could Dalton.

I don't know McAvoy or McFayden.
Old Mar 18 2008, 01:12 AM   #197
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Robin Wood's work. It's fine to attach actors to the characters if you're casting. If you're painting a portrait of the character I consider simply painting an actor's or a model's face to be poor work. You should try to create the character as described by the author, not paint a portrait from life of a convenient person. That's a matter of personal taste and opinion, certainly, so Wood's work has no influence on my casting choices. Note what I said above regarding casting Kal Penn as Sebell. Wood's painting does not match Sebell's description in DSi.
A buffed up Vincent Kennedy McMahon as Toric?

:runaway:

HEY!!!! Where'd the runaway smilie go??!!!!!

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2008, 07:50 AM   #198
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Never had it here Kugai. We have a different set than AMCF.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2008, 05:13 PM   #199
IamJuicy420
Inactive

Quote:
I don't want to say it--something about it just makes me rebel at the notion--but you may have a point about Knightley. She has the eyes and she could pull off the petulance. But can she get the character's gravitas...I'm not sure. She always comes off as immature (I think it's her voice) and Lessa drips with maturity most of the time having had rather too little of a childhood and too early an adulthood. Still, I haven't a better suggestion.

Ledger was good, but that's a moot point now.

Orlando Bloom is over-exposed and there isn't a single character I see him matching in my mind's eye. Scratch that, maybe he could play N'ton, but he'd have to bulk up a bit. Seems a little scrawny across the shoulders for N'ton.

I have no use for Elija Wood and again can't see him matching a character in my mind's eye.

Mortensen I could easily use in a number of roles, particularly a hard-bitten Oldtimer. Unfortunately, he doesn't match the descriptions of T'ron and T'kul, and he's too old for G'narish, so that leaves him as a possible D'ram alongside Scott Glenn. I don't think he's young enough for T'bor and certainly not N'ton. He could also play any number of Lord Holders. As could Dalton.

I don't know McAvoy or McFayden.

I believe Kiera could pull it off for some reason everytime I hear Lessa I think of her. The past two years I say she has matured as an actress... and I believe she could work Lessa's roll well...

and yes I know many of the characters I named seem straight from Lord of The Rings, which is something I don't want to happen... but I have always loved Elija Wood, I don't know.

My mother had the idea of Shia Lebouf for Piemer? I was thinking about it and it might work? Just an idea.... the only one at the moment I really would like to see just because thats how I imagined it is Kiera Knightley as Lessa... I'm not sure why, at least she has the right look!

There are so many people I can fit to different faces, but I can't seem to fit the names with the faces, to fit with the characters? if you know what I mean....

Mathew Mcfayden played Mr. Darcy with Kiera Knightley in Pride and Prejudice, and James Mccavoy played Mr. Tumnus in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Tom Delefroy in Becoming Jane, The main man in Penelope, the main man in Atonement..... and so on and so forth.... just some ideas though...
Old Mar 18 2008, 09:34 PM   #200
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

I like the Shia idea, he would be good as that character. Maybe even good enough for me to overcome my desire for unknown actors for this particular movie.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote