A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Mar 16 2007, 05:54 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default List of my English language Pern books

I have updated my records and now have a list up (at my site) of the English language Pern books/editions I have in my collection; it is a list that also holds the titles for which I am still looking (mainly relatively recent paperbacks and a handful very rare, expensive books)

I am working on other lists but with several hundreds Anne McCaffrey books (this list alone holds over 175 books I own) and my many projects, it takes time...

The list can be found here: http://www.pern.nl/library/collection.html

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2007, 06:07 PM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: List of my English language Pern books

I have three books that Hans hasn't got
Rapp and Whiting DF
Sidgewick and Jackson Dragonsong
and a new style corgi ATWOP

ooh I also have a BCA edition of Dragons kin- does that count? It's not on your list!

Thogh you do have far, far, far more books than me!

There are some of the new style corgis in a second hand shop near me! Do youwant me to take a look and see what they are, in case thy're ones you don't have?
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes, please Edi. Do look at prices and as you know I collect for cover art variations the only prerequisite (sp?) is that the cover needs to be fine and preferably not too many spine creases and general wear on the book.

I think I remember that DF I think you bid against me on that book lot, didn't you?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 16 2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

That is a huge wonderful collection...and not to many titles left on that list for you to find and buy. I need to get all of my books cataloged like you have...it would be wonderful to know how many and of what titles that I still need.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2007, 07:46 PM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yes, please Edi. Do look at prices and as you know I collect for cover art variations the only prerequisite (sp?) is that the cover needs to be fine and preferably not too many spine creases and general wear on the book.

I think I remember that DF I think you bid against me on that book lot, didn't you?
dunno- there was only 1 other bid and I don't think it was you! You have quite a distinctive ebay name! I was tempted to go for the Sidgewick and Jackson Dragonsinger but I spotted that you were bidding and didn't! I don't think there's anyone else that'd use that particular name!
They seemed quite nice copies- I'll pop down next time I have a moment!
Old Mar 18 2007, 02:39 PM   #6
~(_'>

So Hans, are you going to post the pictures of the covers?
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Eventually in a special section on www.pern.nl

The books that seem doubled on the list are actually cover art variations.

Old Mar 19 2007, 03:11 AM   #8
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land

I know it's indirectly related to the Pern series but as it speaks of Anne's contribution to dragon lore being her Pern dragons, what about a Diversity of Dragons? And perhaps I saw it there but have already forgotten, what about A Gift of Dragons? That has Pern related material.........
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2007, 05:11 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

A Gift of Dragons is on the list, Dee.

Hmm, I think adding A Diversity of Dragons under various material is a good idea even though it doesn't hold a Pern story.

Thanks

Old Mar 19 2007, 03:25 PM   #10
~(_'>

Are you going to do the large print editions?? The Dragonflight cover is very nice. Can't speak to the others. Well. Dragondrums. But that is the same as the other. At least so far as I can tell.
Old Mar 19 2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Not planning to, JJ, I've seen (and photographed) them at Anne's and at the moment I would be content with the data and cover pictures for the bilbiography.

Having said that, if a cheap one came along on internet I'm not so sure I could resist the temptation

Old Mar 20 2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, That will be a very interesting addition to the Archives when you get it put all together...I can't wait to see it!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Nov 30 2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

The list is updated again.

I have also officially passed the 500 books mark
I now own over 500 Anne McCaffrey books (not counting magazines, fanzines, pulps etc.)

Old Nov 30 2007, 12:17 PM   #14
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

that's a lot...
Old Nov 30 2007, 02:29 PM   #15
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I'll keep an eye out & if I see any I'll let you know. Pern books are kinda hard to find around here.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2007, 04:27 PM   #16
~(_'>

Congrats on passing the 500 mark.

I have never bothered to count mine. I don't think it occurred to me to count them.

The magazines/fanzines stacks to just about knee high. However many that adds up to. Although even that does not really count. I mean, I know I have 3 people magazines. Not that I bought them for the same story you understand.
Old Dec 1 2007, 10:25 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm not into fanzines so I don't have many, mouse. I do have a goiodly number of magazines and pulps though.

I know the number because for insurance and research purposes I put them all in an Excell spreadsheet and after that it is easy to see how much there are Honestly, I couldn't colelct properly without the spreadsheet anymore as I sometimes ordered books I already have

Old Dec 1 2007, 01:29 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh I am so jealous of your spreadsheet list......I want one too

I have been trying to convience my beloved blood hound ...that if he would please do me a spreadsheet of all my Anne, books and collection magizines, it would actually save us money from me buying one or more of them all over again. Maybe for Christmas

P.S. Perhaps that way I would know how many books I now have...other than just looking around and calling it a room full of books

Old Dec 1 2007, 03:51 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

If he wants my Excell spreadsheet as a template and to cut and paste from, just give a shout!

Old Dec 1 2007, 06:56 PM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, Oh that would be fantastic ...Yes please!!! I would love to be able to load up all my books into an easier. program...but will it handle all my Anne books or only the Pern involved ones???