A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Crystal Singer and Brainships

Old Jan 10 2005, 04:06 PM   #1
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default The ship avenged

Is that a sequel to the City who Fought?
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2005, 09:42 PM   #2
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl
Default Re: The ship avenged

Yes it is, though its written solo by S.M. Sterling.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2005, 11:34 AM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

good. I'll have to look out for it.
thanks!
edi
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Larry Lea O-G
Inactive

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

I like that series too always another good book to check out
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2005, 12:03 AM   #5
orangerider
Inactive

i recently read The Ship Avenged and found it ... ok. A tad too bloody and gorey, and no brainship to speak of, though it was nice to have a story about Joat who's a pretty fun character. If you haven't read it yet, all I'll say is those Kolnari just won't quit.
orangerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

Honestly, I couldn't even get past chapter one of Ship Avenged. I don't remember why now, I suspect because it either A) wasn't holding my attention or B) just wasn't of interest to me. They're both basically the same reason when it comes down to it.

Pam

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2005, 11:48 PM   #7
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
Honestly, I couldn't even get past chapter one of Ship Avenged. I don't remember why now, I suspect because it either A) wasn't holding my attention or B) just wasn't of interest to me. They're both basically the same reason when it comes down to it.

Pam
I just got bored. I didn't really like Adult!Joat, I didn't care about the plot, and I wanted more of Simeon and Channa, and wasn't getting it.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2005, 10:52 AM   #8
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

I must admit that TSA isn't my fave Ship book either. I was the lucky one who did it for the character listing (does anyone know what's going to happen to that one? Is Hans around these parts anywhere?), so had to reread it a few times.

I was disappointed that Joat got (spoiler warning) thrown out of Brawn School, and that there's only an AI for company - and after reading all about Brainships for years, having "only" an AI in control of the ship was a bit of a let down. But nemmind.

I did like it. I liked the griffins and the sotry there with the rogue Brawn and things. So mayeb it's not as bad as it first appears - it's definitely worth a read.
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2005, 10:58 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Gidget... Surely thre isn't another by that name, living in the same country?

Welcome "back" my friend!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2005, 11:09 AM   #10
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Woohoo! Hey there Hans! Yup, it's me alright!!

LOL Do you go around searching for "Hans" in all Forums?????

Nice to see you're here. I've had a lot of trouble with registering here from my public access computers, and had given up for a while. I'm having a real nightmare at work at the moment, so thought I'd give it a go today - and it worked!

Anyway, is there any movement on the publishing of the cast lists from the Brainship Universe at all? Just wondering!!
Old Jun 7 2005, 04:00 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Sorry to hear of your registration trouble Dom; if you have any MoM board related difficulties in the future b sure to drop either Cheryl or me a mail (I do hope you still got my mail address!) and we'll sort it out for you!

No, movement on the Ship castlists front but I still have all the material; so maybe we could start a thread here about it and see what still needs to be done.
I'll have to hunt for the non-castlist files though, so bear with me.

We had the project nearly finished but there was still a little bit of left, that much I remember. I'll get back to you on that.

Anyway, good to have you back and see you posting.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2005, 03:57 AM   #12
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Sorry to hear of your registration trouble Dom; if you have any MoM board related difficulties in the future b sure to drop either Cheryl or me a mail (I do hope you still got my mail address!) and we'll sort it out for you!
Ummmmmmmm .......... I'm not so sure I do. I cleared out my address book and I think I deleted it So sorry!!

Quote:
No movement on the Ship castlists front but I still have all the material; so maybe we could start a thread here about it and see what still needs to be done.
I'll have to hunt for the non-castlist files though, so bear with me.

We had the project nearly finished but there was still a little bit of left, that much I remember. I'll get back to you on that.
I know that I still have all the cast lists slurping around on hard disk somewhere - and they literally are just on hard disk as they were on my laptop which is now in bits - so I can get them or edit them or whatever is needed.

As for the new thread, fantastic idea!!

Quote:
Anyway, good to have you back and see you posting.
Thank you very much! It's good to be back and posting again!
Old Jul 29 2005, 06:50 AM   #13
Jolèt
Inactive

i'm always a sukker for baddies and i must admit, the Kolnari was probably thus far the most horrific baddies for me of all Mccaffrey's books! Ugh, they really had me shivering.

I enjoyed the ship avenged mainly because of this and because of Joat; she is such a lovely character that i'm probably going to call my child Joat someday; she's so flawed (the more flawed they are the more human hey!);

But you can see that the 'Anne-factor' is missing, so unfortunately the rest of the plot and of course the absence of a brainship was a bit of a dissapointment for me...
Jolèt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2005, 07:23 PM   #14
Lily

I've recently read TSA. It had nothing at all really, to do with Brain & Brawn Ships did it?
I agree with what everyone has said about it
Old Jul 29 2005, 09:03 PM   #15
Sandi

It's true that you can't please all the people all the time. I enjoyed the first ship books I read but City Who Fought almost ruined me for the series. I liked the basic premise, especially the chance to learn more about shell people in occupations other than ships. On reflection, my problem with the book was with the Kolnari. They were simply just too much. Tension gave way to frustration as they developed into comic book styled Villains (with a very definitely capitalized V). Before I got to the end I found myself laughing more often than biting my nails.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2008, 04:16 AM   #16
Lara
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I'm reading it now, for the first time, after re-reading The Ship Who Won and reading the sequel, The Ship Errant. So far, it fulfils my worst fears, being the kind of sci-fi I usually avoid like the plague - too violent and vicious. Villains, yes, but, black-hearted, vindictive, power-crazed psychopaths? Oh dear, how sci-fi-cliché can you get than the Kolnari?
I didn't like Simeon in The City Who Fought, so I'm not missing him in this book.
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2008, 06:29 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

@Lara....It is a shame that you feel so adament about how badly these books were written.
Thankfully for Anne, there are more people like me that very much enjoyed all the *Ship* books.
I thought they were not only well written, but wonderful diverse adult space adventure....each with its own interesting and different aliens. I found the stories to be filled with memorable characters, and facinating worlds to visit.
As for Simeon, Joat and Channa...I found them to delightfully different and interesting!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2008, 06:47 PM   #18
Lara
Inactive

Lady Maelin, I didn't say they were badly written - but written in a manner I don't like - not the same thing! My remarks were completely subjective; I wouldn't attempt an objective analysis of a book I so dislike. Now that I've started it, I will finish, but the sheer viciousness of that Kolnari beast revolts me so much that I have to grit my teeth to read the book !

And of course, apart from authorising the sequel, Anne had no part in this particular book at all!
Old Jan 26 2008, 02:53 PM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Lara, sorry if I misunderstood your comments.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jan 26 2008, 04:48 PM   #20
Lara
Inactive

No problem Lady Maelin I do tend to express myself rather vehemently sometimes!

I've finished the book now, and am prepared to recognise more merit in it than I was initially - but I am still utterly revolted by the appalling sadism of the Kolnari. I read sci-fi for recreation, but this sort of thing just makes me feel ill.
Old Jan 26 2008, 10:03 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well at least with the Kolnari, we do somewhat agree...but they are suppose to be very evil antagonist. I will admit to a bit of stomach lurching myself, when reading about some of their exploits.

Old Jan 27 2008, 03:18 PM   #22
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Just what I was going to say, Maelin. Wonder what it means that I wasn't nearly as upset, but just disgusted.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2008, 11:58 AM   #23
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I have just finished the two books in the City who fought...and for some reason this time I LOVED THEM...the last time I was a bit shocked and put off by the violence in them...as Anne normally isn't quite that bloody in her other books...but there are a few times like when Salah and Avril on the colony ship...

This time I could hardly put them down, and very much enjoyed the adventure of it all. I know the next time I will be much more eager to read them.

P.S. I found a really dozzie of a question in one of them too can't wait to see if it ends up on the QUEST!!!

Old Mar 28 2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Brenda

I got hooked on some of S. M. Stirling's other books. Island in the Sea of Time caught my eye, but it was some time before I really noticed the author's name and realized why I knew it! :laugh:
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2008, 11:24 PM   #25
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

The City Who Fought is my least favorite of Anne's Brain/Brawn books and I never finished The Ship Avenged. But then, I really don't like S. M. Stirling's writing at all.
Old Mar 28 2008, 11:39 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I think if I ever found myself needing something other than Anne books to read, I might give S.M.Stirling other books a try....I do like his writings along with Anne's or in her world, very much indeed.

I most definitely wouldn't mind being a crew member on the Wyal, setting off for another adventure to the stars...sign me up Joat!!!

Old Mar 29 2008, 02:43 AM   #27
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I found "The Ship Errant", the hardest out of all of them, to get through, it took 6-7 weeks to get through where as everything else went fairly quickly. I'm wondering what Cheryl's questions are going to be like, myself???

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29 2008, 10:23 AM   #28
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

"The Ship Errant" is another I couldn't get through. I guess I'd better get through both of them to be ready for her questions.