A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Mar 21 2018, 04:45 PM   #4561
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing
Default Re: What is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
Thanks for the logical explanation, Allen. The problem is now fixed. I didn't have access to a compressor, but thought of a camera lens cleaner that I owned years ago which consisted of a very soft brush attached to a rubber puffer and decided to see if the local camera shop had one. It didn't, but a nearby computer and white ware shop had something very similar which had the puffer and brush separately and that worked just fine. I didn't even have to risk pulling the keys off to get under them. A bonus was a gold card (pensioner) discount of $6.51 on something that only cost $20.00 in the first place! so zzz & ??? work just fine.

Computer shop A which told me I needed a new computer and computer shop B which tried to sell me a keyboard will not see me again.
Dust & stuff off your body is insidious. It will get into almost anything..... well, actually, everything. I don't care how good of a housekeeper you are (or think you are...LOL) the very skin of your body sloughs off as it dies and gets into things beyond belief..... more on that in a moment. Even if there is no monumental buildup in the area immediately under the keys, the nearly microscopic particles will seep down along the shaft that the physical keys are attached to and build up where you need it least; the contact that is actuated by the pressing of the key. Modern typists are used to electronic keyboards and the very gentle touch they take. As the crud builds up, it insulates the contacts hidden in the internals of the keyboard. That's why sometimes a hard strike on a key will make it work when your regular typing didn't. I learned to type on a manual typewriter, so today, over 50 years later, I still "pound" the keys by comparison to younger people. So I notice less interference from that buildup than most.

Regular vacuuming of your electronics is not recommended by the manufacturers because of the chance of static discharge caused by the cleaner's motor and moving parts. But if you make sure the electronics are completely shut down, including not forgetting to shut off the wireless keyboard and mouse, and even unplugging the item (television, COMPUTER, DVD player, and so on) will negate almost 100% of the chance of static discharge damage.

Moderate air pressure up to about 20 or 30 psi will do a much better job of dislodging the crud, which will then be easier to vacuum out/up. Same applies about static, as well as the chance of moisture carried along with the air pressure; moisture is condensed by the compression of the air, and more is formed when that pressure is suddenly released.
Old Mar 21 2018, 04:54 PM   #4562
Allen

Now a little more about dead skin,

Years ago, Kirby vacuum cleaner salesmen would do in-home demonstrations. They had an attachment that connected to the vacuum instead of the bag. It had a plastic window and held a piece of filter paper, much like today's coffee filters. They would vacuum your mattress to show what came off your body while you slept and ended up in your mattress, even after vacuuming with a "lesser quality" vacuum. If the salesman had a strong enough stomach, he would light the filter paper and its contents from your mattress. Trust me, the stench is quite sickening, unbelievably so.
Old Mar 24 2018, 05:18 PM   #4563
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Here's the view out of my bedroom window for the next fortnight...

Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2018, 09:40 PM   #4564
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Zelandeth, that is a very nice view. It looks very warm. Much better than here. We were suppose to get snow. Luckily no snow, but it is cold enough for it.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2018, 10:00 PM   #4565
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

We got your snow here in Pennsylvania, 4 storms in 3 weeks. This last installment laid down 15 inches of the white stuff on the 2nd day of spring. I have had enough spring already, Come on Summer !
Old Mar 24 2018, 10:42 PM   #4566
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Zelandeth, that is a very nice view. It looks very warm. Much better than here. We were suppose to get snow. Luckily no snow, but it is cold enough for it.
It's downright surreal is what it is! It feels like I'm in a movie...weather wise, today it's been 78F, and with a gentle breeze, really quite pleasant.
Old Mar 25 2018, 02:35 PM   #4567
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Whoa, VERY nice, Zelandeth!
I'm off to Florence, Italy in the near future and hope it'll be a littel warmer there than at home

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2018, 11:47 AM   #4568
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I may be absent for a few days. Home internet has packed up and I'm awaiting a new router.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29 2018, 10:28 AM   #4569
Brenda

Zelandeth, I am jealous!

I haven't been in here much in a while but I wanted to tell everyone that I finally got another National Park job! I didn't get one the last two years after having done three summers in a row, so this is very exciting! I'm going to be working at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan, starting... a month from today!!!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29 2018, 02:03 PM   #4570
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I haven't been in here much in a while but I wanted to tell everyone that I finally got another National Park job! I didn't get one the last two years after having done three summers in a row, so this is very exciting! I'm going to be working at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan, starting... a month from today!!!
Guess this means that I won't be coming to visit you over at Montauk this season..... LOL. Good luck with this one! I'm sure the folks down here will miss you.
Old Mar 30 2018, 02:32 AM   #4571
Hans
Master Archivist

Good news, Brenda. And good luck at the new station!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 30 2018, 06:49 PM   #4572
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Zelandeth, I am jealous!

Nice!

We've got family (folks we're visiting here actually!) in East Lansing who we visit every couple of years, who also have a trailer up by Bear Lake - so I know that area pretty well.

...reckon I'm still finding sand from my last visit to those dunes.
Old Mar 31 2018, 07:59 AM   #4573
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Got family staying here too - my oldest son came to Wellington to renew his Hungarian passport and phoned me yesterday. We went to Armageddon together today, and he's flying back to Auckland tomorrow.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2018, 11:38 PM   #4574
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

It's whiter than Christmas outside. Easter's early this year, but even so, this is getting tiresome.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3 2018, 08:59 AM   #4575
Allen

I know what you mean. We went to Quincy, Illinois to spend Easter with the oldest son & family, and had to deal with 6 inches of snowfall, all of it Sunday! I told everybody that Illinois wasn't getting spring this year.
Old Apr 3 2018, 08:47 PM   #4576
Dragon Fan

Got another 7 inches yesterday, But it warmed up overnight and about all melted off already. Very strange weather, even for Pennsylvania where it is said, If Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes, it will change.
Old Apr 3 2018, 11:08 PM   #4577
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

There's a reason why so many Finns decided to settle in the Great Lakes area, on both sides of the border, about 150 to 100 years ago. The similarity of climate explains a lot.
Old Apr 15 2018, 10:16 PM   #4578
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Incase anyone see that there were tornados in Lynchburg Va tonight, they were not near me.

One did hit across the street from the McDonalds Kibby use to work at.
19000 without power not sure about injuries yet.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Apr 16 2018, 02:00 PM   #4579
Hans
Master Archivist

Read the facebook message that said you were safe. Of course it wasn't even televised here in Europe as our news never reaches your state But glad you are safe! My family in South-Dakota don't have tornadoes but are still shoulder deep in snow! And it's mid April!

Old Apr 16 2018, 04:57 PM   #4580
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Weathers been crazy here.

Old Apr 16 2018, 06:54 PM   #4581
Dragon Fan

It's Pennsylvania, Yep, Snowing again. anybody see spring anywhere, send it this way! I think it's lost !
Old Apr 16 2018, 10:04 PM   #4582
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

It's down in the 40s here, which is cold for April.

Old Apr 16 2018, 10:55 PM   #4583
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Glad you're safe, mawra.
Old Apr 17 2018, 03:25 AM   #4584
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Our weather is as mad! After snow at Easter and a series of cold damp days with the cloud base at ground level; we're about to get a "plume" of hot African air sending temperatures into the mid 20s C.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17 2018, 09:17 AM   #4585
Allen

We spent Easter in Quincy, Illinois with out oldest son & youngest grandchild, then my wife went with a cousin to see her (wife's) sister in Anderson, Indiana. The whole time we were in Quincy it was cold & wet. In fact, we had about 4 or 5 inches of snow on Easter Sunday. She told me it was cold on and off while she was in Anderson.

Here it played the warm up then turn cold, along with rain cycle game. A week ago on Sunday it snowed here enough to cover the ground for the day. It was warm by Thursday, Friday when I left to go to Anderson for her it started turning cold and cold rain showers chased me all the way across 3 states. The only good news is that the accompanying high winds were pushing me, so I got fantastically high fuel mileage (for my 2004 Ford station wagon) on the trip over.

By Saturday when we went antiquing in Noblesville (about 25 miles away) I went from using the heater and defrosters to air conditioning to heater in the space of about 6 hours.

The trip back home Sunday was cold and windy; I was bucking headwinds all the way. Gone was the 28.5 miles per gallon. The best I got was about 23.4 mpg. (Sorry, I don't do metric conversions to be like the rest of the world.)

Saturday night I saw on Facebook that a tornado had touched down about 5 miles north of our house. No damage or power outages here that I've found, luckily.

But it looks like Nature is saying "Spring? No, no! No spring for you! Come back one month!"

Of course, I'm also a firm believer in the old saying, "If you talk about something, if it's good it goes away and if it's bad it happens."
Old Apr 17 2018, 05:17 PM   #4586
Dragon Fan

Meanwhile Back here in ole Pa. it is Guess What, Yep Snowing again, Had a white out for about 10 min. on the way home from work. VERY windy and -1c..... I need a Vacation !
Old Apr 27 2018, 05:27 PM   #4587
Allen

Ten days?

TEN DAYS?

Really?

TEN DAYS!
Old Apr 28 2018, 02:32 PM   #4588
Dragon Fan

Shh ! I think Spring has snuck in. No white stuff ! The pile the plow piles up at the end of the road is almost gone as well. Mostly just a pile of dirt and cinders. Once it melts completely they will come around with the Road sweeper and truck to pick it all up and reuse the cinders next Winter.
Old May 3 2018, 09:52 AM   #4589
Allen

Yesterday I typed out a long reply, then, thinking of Facebook, hit enter and moved on to another site. Later on I realized it's never worked that way here. DAMN, damndamn.
Old May 11 2018, 09:26 AM   #4590
Allen

I'm wondering if everyone is all right. On April 27 I posted that it had been 10 days since anyone posted. Since then, one post from Dragon Fan and I have each posted once. Now we're at May 11 and silence. Is there anybody out there?

I found out I'm suffering from iron deficiency anemia. My red blood cell count is half what it should be. 2 very nasty tests this Monday to try to find out why. To say I'm not worried would be to lie.
Old May 11 2018, 10:55 AM   #4591
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I'm still here... Haven't had much to post about recently.

Now the weather's wonderful, sunny with a light breeze and 20 C/68 F. For Mother's Day on Sunday they're forecasting 25 C/77 F. Three days of that in a row officially counts as a heatwave here.

Allen, I hope the reason for your anemia turns out to be something innocuous. Good luck with the tests.
Old May 12 2018, 02:29 PM   #4592
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

I haven't posted in a while. Not much happening here, worth telling.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2018, 06:06 PM   #4593
Zelandeth

Still here...just been relatively uneventful lately, only things to report have really been the usual madness with my automotive fleet (which I have managed to reduce to three at long last - one and a half of which are actually working!).

Oh, and starting to get the network infrastructure in this house into order. It has been horribly bodgery every since we moved in, so we've finally got wired networking routed throughout the building now along with a proper wireless access point rather than relying on the useless WiFi built into our router...which it turns out was the cause of about 75% of my headaches.

Now if only I could get the cars to all work as well...
Old May 12 2018, 09:05 PM   #4594
Dragon Fan

I come from a large family, 10 Sisters. 4 brothers, When our Mother started to falter, she made us all promise to keep getting together every Friday evening for a family dinner. Some have moved away during their lives, but all that remain within an hour or so still get together, Recently, one of my older sisters moved back to our small town from Memphis, Tennessee and took a place in the rotation of cooking and bringing the meal to the Family Homestead, Which is now my home. She was not feeling very well, but still managed to make a large pot of Chili, Since she was not feeling up to a large crowd, She had my late Brothers wife pick up the pot of Chili and bring it here for the rest of the family. Well, she had fallen asleep with the chili on the Stove and did not realize that it was burnt very badly and stuck to the bottom of the pot. When we returned her pot the next morning, she asked if there was any leftover, as she was feeling better and would like a bowl, I gave her a foil wrapped package and told her what had become of the Chili, ( we heard animals gagging in the woods where we had dumped it. Just kidding.) She opened the foil and had some Pizza for lunch and asked with a straight face, It's not Chilly in here is it.? I sometimes wonder if our Mother knew things like this would happen and not be surprised that 27 people waiting for dinner, and not a one cared a hoot that the chili was burnt, we laughed and ate the salad and bread, .................Until the Pizza delivery came. I am very glad my sister is feeling better. Just more stories for the Dinner table.
Old May 12 2018, 11:52 PM   #4595
SpaceCowboy
Curlycorn

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

I've been having computer problems that were finally solved by a new DELL all in one. My regular computer comes and goes with Windoze starting or not starting depending on its mood. And my backup went completely out after an update and nothing I could do would fix it. I'm going to see if my files especially my music, books, and pictures can be extracted from the hard drive from my regular computer and then it and the backup will be disassembled and the cases properly disposed of.

Other then that things are good here.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2018, 10:02 AM   #4596
Hans
Master Archivist

Still here, too. But in monitoring mode

Old May 13 2018, 04:34 PM   #4597
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

I'm still here but haven't posted in a while.
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2018, 10:37 PM   #4598
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

We're officially in a heatwave. First time I remember celebrating Mother's Day in 25 C.
Old May 14 2018, 09:06 AM   #4599
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Meanwhile our heat wave is officially over. It should not be 20c (68f) in Wellington in May. Now it's 14c (57f) which is still warmer than normal for the middle of the night, and raining. It's supposed to get cold by the end of the week.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2018, 10:34 AM   #4600
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Now we're hitting 29 C, very unusual for this time of year. Last summer, we didn't have any days this warm.