A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Dec 28 2008, 08:57 AM   #41
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Burglared

That is a shame, and shameful on the part of the kids.

Maybe an appropriate punishment for kids who don't respect their heritage would be being shipped to a country with wildly different customs and history.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2008, 10:30 AM   #42
Hans
Master Archivist

Yeah, like Iraq or China Let them try it there and see what kind of punishments are meted out there If I would know who they are I wouldn't vouch for myself maintaining my non-violent nature. Seriously.

Just been back from cleaning up this:

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2008, 11:04 AM   #43
Sandi

I'm sorry to have been right about the culprits. I don't know anything whatever about your justice system but when "kids" get up to "mischief" here they go before a Juvenile Court Judge who usually tells them "Don't Do That Again!" and, quite often, that's about it. Juvenile Court has become such a joke in many parts of the US that "kids" actually stage actual rampages the night before their birthdays as sort of a "rite of passage." Wonderful way to move into adulthood, isn't it? As I said before, it's just so sad. Especially when they did that to that sort of place. But if they catch them and you're able to ask them why they did such a thing, they'll just shrug and grin and say "I don't know. We were just having a little fun."
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2008, 03:38 PM   #44
Hans
Master Archivist

Same here Sandi, and like in yor country (I think) they smetimes will try them as adults for very serious cases only (murder and such).

There's also a system of alternative punishments called Task Punishment and the judge can give them any amount of hours up to about 240 I think. Usually (related) community service.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2008, 07:42 PM   #45
Cheryl
Master Archivist

10 hours community service for every hour it takes to put the center back to rights seems reasonable.
Old Dec 29 2008, 03:10 AM   #46
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Include putting the centre straight again seems poetic!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29 2008, 08:24 PM   #47
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

It's been a while since I was here. I'm so sorry to hear your places got hit, Hans!
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29 2008, 09:40 PM   #48
Sandi

I know it could never happen because Courts don't usually have that broad of an option for sentencing but I think it would be effective if they not only had to thoroughly clean and restore whatever they "messed up," but also stipulate that they and/or their parents had to make a meaningful and valuable contribution for improvements to the place.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2008, 08:32 AM   #49
Cheryl
Master Archivist

By the time they're caught and sentenced, I would imagine most of the cleanup of their handiwork would be complete. Plus, some of that cleanup would be sensitive and best done by experts. But there must be plenty of other community service work to do, perhaps in a clean-up vein (graffiti?). And perhaps they could be charged with raising money to benefit the historical society while at the same time publicly admitting what they did. Like drunk teen drivers often have to go talk to schools about what idiots they were and the consequences, over here.
Old Dec 30 2008, 08:59 AM   #50
Maleus
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Green Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Default Re : Burglared

Oh my! As I explore the forum to update my knowledge of past events and discussions, I went through this thread. I am so sorry for you Hans. It is such a shame to see someone stealing your belongings with impunity... Makes anyone feels how unfair things are sometimes.

When I was younger, my parents' house was visited once, and luckily they could not find much for they must have been disturbed at some point. But knowing strangers got into my home made me feel really mad. I just wish I was there to make them understand how much I was...
Maleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2008, 01:24 PM   #51
Dernok
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I know it could never happen because Courts don't usually have that broad of an option for sentencing but I think it would be effective if they not only had to thoroughly clean and restore whatever they "messed up," but also stipulate that they and/or their parents had to make a meaningful and valuable contribution for improvements to the place.
Don't know what judges may do in the netherlands but i once saw a short documentation about a german judge (I believe fom Berlin) who sentenced some nazi-skins to "not wearing their usual outfit". (Combat boots, Fred Perry shirts and bomber jackets).
The nazi-skins were interviewed too. They were stomping their strangly lightweighted feet in white anger and were complaining wildly about this cruel and demeaning sentence.

Could have watched this for hours!

Made them look quite silly. Which is - if you take violence from them - exactly what they are.
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2009, 10:23 AM   #52
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

Hans, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I'm glad you and your family are safe. I hope that these misfits are caught soon. I hope that they get more than a slap on the wrist. It would seem that as children breaking into one household for "fun" is one thing. A poor lack of judgment, but doing so repeatedly just show's that this isn't just for fun and even in a juvenile court they should warrant a harsher punishment.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote