A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Jan 11 2008, 09:40 AM   #41
Sandi

Default Re: different countries

In some ways it seems that way, Hans. This is a fun topic. The more we learn about each other the more we learn we need to learn!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2008, 07:05 PM   #42
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

When we traveled cross country there were time when I wondered if we were in the same country. Each state has its own geographic oddities. Cal. has death valley & high mountians. Utah has the salt flats ect..

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2008, 08:43 PM   #43
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Unfortunately the last time we really acted like they were separate countries some damnyankees went down and started a war over it.

(Yes, I KNOW I live in Massachusetts, and I was raised in Michigan. But I'm a W&L girl. You can take the girl out of W&L but you can't take the W&L out of the girl. I looked at the statue on the common here and I honest to God though "Must be some damnyankee general.")
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2008, 01:42 AM   #44
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbie View Post
O.k here are my questions

1) what wild animals are native to Australia? Australia has kangaroos, koalas, wombats, reptiles, different species of birds and stack more besides.

2)What place are MUST SEE for visitors? The Murray/Darling River system - it also includes the Murrimbridge River and is one of the largest river systems in the world. But we also have the Opera house, zoos, musuems etc.

3) How does your culture differ from the U.S? Australia was 1st settled by Aboriginals 40,000 years ago then Europeans found it and settled here nearly 220 years ago, mainly of English descent. Although we haven't had a civil war like "the damned yankees", we came close in the 1850's when people got really upset with the gold licenses/diggings, that's where the Eureka Stockade came into being. It was short and sweet, not like the civil war which ran for several years. One of the similiarities is that we have a multicultural society (people from all over the world live here), however a major difference is the sports we play as well as the customs we have here are different to the US. Examples are....we play rugby, cricket and football -although how all those Americans deal with all that padding, I'm not sure about as our blokes don't do it and the Americans tend to go for ice hockey, gridiron and baseball.

4) Do you live near any museums? Yes, our local historical society runs it.

5) Have you ever been to the Diamond Museum? No.

6) What type of goverment do you have? Parliament that is similiar to the UK version.

7) What side of the road do you drive on? Left hand side.

8) What is a typical day like? Sun, surf and happiness, well if you live by a beach. We also have snowy mountains, plains, deserts etc. So a typical day depends on where you live.

9) What native food would you suggest trying? Yabbies, bardi grubs/witchity grubs or if that sounds disgusting, how about a vegemite sandwich (with cheese on it if you like a savoury taste).

10) How is your counrty devided? (states, districts. ect..) 6 States and 2 territorities.

11) What is your major export? Tourists, followed by everything else.

Thank You for any information you can give me.
Hope that helps you out Kibbie.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2008, 01:44 AM   #45
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I had to "quote your questions with my answers" as I accidentally erase all my answers by mistake. UGGH! But it was good while it lasted, LOL!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote