A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 19 2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Cygnus
Darbul

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Default Fanfic Help(Can dragons survive without impressing/impress on a brainship?)

Hello, I know nobody here recognizes me. A while back I was interested in writing some Anne Mccaffrey fanfiction, but like many budding authors quickly lost the willpower when I turned out to not be amazing immediately! :P

Anyway, I came back to ask a theoretical question. Just looking for opinions on what would happen in a specific circumstance;

What would happen if a Dragon wanted to imprint on a Brainship?

From what has usually been seen, it requires close proximity, or more ideally physical contact, for the imprinting to take place. Obviously this wouldn't be possible with a brainship. So what would happen to a dragon if he/she were unable to imprint, or to reach the person it was attempting to imprint onto?

Obviously nobody can answer this question 100%, but I'm just looking for people's opinions.

For background, if anyone cares;

Quote:
I'm trying to create a universe where the Talent, Brainship/Crystal Singers, and Pern universes are all the same one. Long and Convoluted, but it ultimately results in a runaway Brainship with a re-emerging telepath stowaway landing on Pern running from corrupt High Families members of the Military trying to use the Kolnari to instigate a Coup in the FPS, and where better to land than the big open space in the obviously cleared for landing volcano? So they land in Benden Weyr a few days prior to a Hatching, get to know the locals, and lo' and behold, a dragon tries to bond to the emotionally unstable brainship.

The brainship wants no attachment, the dragon can't touch her, and the telepath is the only bridge between the two. My current idea is to have the telepath serve a sort of bridge between the two until the Brain can open up enough to accept the dragon, and , you know, character development.
Of course, this is all tentative. I don't want to do something blatantly impossible, so if anyone has ideas, it would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers!
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Fanfic Help(Can dragons survive without impressing/impress on a brainship?)

A brainship is a human mind. If Heth can start heading out to the bowl to find Keevan, I see no reason why a sensitive dragon with the right inclinations couldn't Impress a brainship, particularly if the brain's in communication with a telepath in the audience - that would be enough to bring the dragon and brain into impressable proximity, I should think.

After Impression's been made, the telepath becomes redundant. However, if the brain is reluctant right from the outset, I don't think the hatchling would survive the telepath dropping the contact. I might also expect the hatchling to Impress to the telepath out of confusion, and then die when the confusion becomes apparent, or even to maintain an odd sort of dual-impression to them both. If the telepath is effectively the ship's brawn, then that could actually work.

Have fun!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Re: Fanfic Help(Can dragons survive without impressing/impress on a brainship?)

I don't know if it would REALLY be possible as the books function (though being fiction, well...and Kath's logic makes sense) but I can definitely see it making an interesting fic!
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2013, 04:48 AM   #4
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Fun idea!

I think the most difficult aspect would be getting the hatchling to the Brain. Or vice versa. I think a physical proximity would be important as you mention.

Maybe if the Ship wore one of those mobile suits? Or maybe if the hatchling was super-determined and walked across the weyrbowl to where the Ship had landed?

Or if the Brain themself was a telepath, and reaching out to the hatching to "watch"?

I think using an auxiliary telepath would be tricky though, unless that telepath was already Impressed. I think a physically present telepath would be a better Impression target than the person the telepath is linked to. Unless you were aiming for a three-person bond...Brain, Brawn, and Dragon.

I do wonder, however, if a hatchling would Impress to a person who was not able-bodied enough to fight thread. There's a difference between a bad leg or some such, or a rider that was once largely physically able and later isn't due to threadscore or something else, and an individual being so physically disabled from birth they were put into the Brainship program. I would not at all be surprised if dragons fail to Impress to severely disabled people, by explicit design. (Plotbunny: they don't, and Weyrs have to vet who gets to watch a Hatching, due to historical Impressions among the guests. Imagine if an individual such as Camo was able to Impress?)

Alternately, you could have a Brainship hauling a clutch of eggs somewhere for some reason, along with candidates, and the eggs hatch unexpectedly and the Ship Impresses one. That...actually has all the hallmarks of a "classic" Ship story! The Ship Who Flamed?

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Cygnus
Darbul

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad that my ideas are not too far out there.

Of course, I don't want the dragon to die. That would be super sad, and the worst part would be that newcomers to Pern wouldn't even realize how sad it really was!

As for the hatchling not impressing on someone not physically able to fight thread; that's a really good point, and one I hadn't thought of before. I'm guessing that would be some sort of biological imperative, seeing as there was no mention of crippled riders, even during the long intervals. Then again, like you said, they probably did not scout for crippled potentials, so the chances of it ever actually happening would have to be very low.

The idea of a sort of three-way impression is really interesting. I like the idea, I'm just not exactly sure how I would pull it off. Part of the trouble is that many of the Brain/Brawn stories have had a large focus on the often intense relationship shared by the two, relationships that are bound to become more and more often physical with the invention of the artificial bodies from Ship Who Searched. But if they became weyrmates, what would happen when the dragon started wanting to go up for mating flights?

It would have to be very...interesting...for everyone involved
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21 2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I don't know a dragon would "read" a Brain as "physically disabled" as their mind is going to be functioning in an entirely different way. And I think the idea dragons only Impress the "fit" anyway gets kind of squashed even with "The Littlest Dragonboy", where it's unlikely a Hatchling's "programming" would be sophisticated enough to tell the difference between "temporarily incapacitated" and "permanently maimed." It's more likely that between Candidates not being Searched if they're somehow disabled and a lot of disabilities that exist on Earth just not being survivable on Pern, it doesn't come up often.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote