A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

View Poll Results: Kylara, Evil or misunderstood?
Evil through and through! 22 23.66%
I don't think she was Evil but she certainly was no angel 63 67.74%
Purely misunderstood. 2 2.15%
The Purple monkeys are the ones to ask. 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 5 2009, 06:07 AM   #281
draconichybrid
Ssli

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonDance View Post
Well, as far as punishing Brekke with an open flight, it wouldn't be necessary to include 'Open to ALL bronzes and bronzes ONLY" bit. Just throwing the flight open would include younger, larger bronzes that even Canth, big and experienced as he is, couldn't compete with. The odds of him winning a junior queen in those conditions would be remote. Remember, the southern beasts weren't exactly the cream of the crop.
I'm not so sure of this, actually. I mean, we have Ruth -- by far the smallest Ninth Pass dragon -- who could catch a green ... if he wanted to.

Then we have Canth, who IIRC is the third biggest dragon in Ninth Pass Pern. We also have Brekke/Wirinith actively rejecting the other dragons (a la Lessa/Ramoth with R'gul's Hath during Ramoth's first mating flight), giving Canth an unfair advantage. Not that he'd actually need it, mind....

Quote:
As far as Kylara willingly throwing Pridith into a mating flight bloodbath, I don't think that was the case. That would be more forethought and Machiavellian scheming than she shows in DF and the rest of DQ put together. Kylara....has dreams. Passion. But she isn't ambitious enough to act on them. Entitlement does that to you.
You and I have different views on Kylara, obviously.

I underestimated (or overestimated, depending on your POV) my girlfriend. I'm not proud of myself -- or the few memories I haven't locked away -- but for several months, I actually played T'bor to her Kylara (minus the S&M).

Quote:
Her attraction to Meron was probably a combination of her desire for men in power, men willing to rebel, and men into her kinks. I would imagine men into S&M who weren't actually rapists/abusive would be somewhat rare. (Kinda makes me sad that Anne seems to use masochistic desire as a way to make Kylara look worse. Like there's anything intrinsically wrong with liking it a little rougher than other people!)
Agreed.
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 03:13 PM   #282
Kim
The Mil

Fan of: Menolly
Now Reading: none at the moment

I think Kylara was self-centered and spoiled, but evil? Not really. F'lar himself once observed that she liked to stir up trouble just to get attention. I feel if she could have been paired with a strong Weyrmate that could stand up to her she might have turned out to be a decent person.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 08:18 AM   #283
makenzie71
Eskay

Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order

This is now officially a ten year thread.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 12:35 PM   #284
Kim
The Mil

I apologize for necroing this thread. I was so eager to start posting I didn't check the dates, it won't happen again. Kylara is a bit of a sore point for me. I found her to be so one-dimensional as Anne wrote her that she was almost a parody. Maybe it's naivete on my part but I find it hard to swallow that a person could be so self-centered that she has NO human feeling for anyone or anything else, short of being a sociopath, and would a sociopath really be acceptable to a dragon?
Old May 7 2014, 01:39 AM   #285
Brenda

Nothing wrong with posting in an old thread if you have something to say!

I agree Kylara is written a bit one-dimensional. I have a story in mind about her first coming to the Weyr (did she know she was not going to be R'gul's only Candidate? Did she hear rumors about the events at Ruatha?) even though all we know is that she was already promised to marry a Holder; given her preferences in DQ, she probably jumped at the chance for a more free lifestyle. (We only have Larad's POV observing that she was "happily promised" or some such phrase...) And then she has a baby and Lessa is jealous and goes downhill for her from there...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 04:04 AM   #286
Kim
The Mil

That could be an interesting story. I'd love to see her fleshed out a bit.
Old May 7 2014, 03:29 PM   #287
Brenda

It's been bumping around in my head for a while but I never seem to be able to actually sit down and write it out. I'm planning to set aside time to write this summer - I have a couple of stories I'd like to get down.
Old Jun 11 2014, 01:08 AM   #288
Brenda

I started writing out my Kylara story and I have a question that hopefully one of you can help me with. When did Thella run away? Would that have already happened when the Search took place? I would dearly love to have Kylara make a sarcastic remark to Larad about it, but I do want to make sure the timeline works.

(He's lecturing her about sleeping around when she's betrothed to Brand of Igen, and she says something like, "What are you going to do, lock me in? That worked so well the last time...")

Anyone have a copy of Renegades they can check?
Old Jun 11 2014, 02:45 AM   #289
Lily

2495 Thella leaves home
2497 Start of 9th pass
Old Jun 11 2014, 05:27 PM   #290
Brenda

Wasn't the Search and Hatching three years before the Pass?
Old Jul 3 2014, 12:37 PM   #291
Brenda

Well, I've just gotten her to the Weyr, but I'll have to wait til I can check a copy of DF to get the Hatching details correct. I'm going to be getting a library card in town, so maybe I can get it there - otherwise my sister's coming out here in a couple of weeks and I'll ask her to bring my copy from home.

Also, I may have less time to write - I've been writing by hand when there's no one in the visitor center, but it's getting really busy now!