A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

View Poll Results: Kylara, Evil or misunderstood?
Evil through and through! 22 23.66%
I don't think she was Evil but she certainly was no angel 63 67.74%
Purely misunderstood. 2 2.15%
The Purple monkeys are the ones to ask. 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 6 2005, 05:36 PM   #81
edith
Dragonrider


Weyrwoman
 
edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Delft
Gender: F
Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Sorry for the double post but I've found the turning point for Kylara!
Its when she's sent back 10 turns and her egomania takes over!
and this is no one's fault!
it was the only option at the time!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2005, 12:35 AM   #82
pictish-princess
Inactive
 
pictish-princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

If Kylara is just misunderstood, then I'm a firelizard's uncle! Anyway, everything seemed to be saying that she's pure evil, but that could be because of self-esteem issues. You'd have to ask Anne McCaffrey herself to ever know for sure, but that's just my opinion!
pictish-princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2005, 05:26 PM   #83
Ingerid
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Kylara is selfish to the extent that she will destroy things for others just because she can't have them herself. She was after F'lar (and had him a few times before Mnemnenth flew Rammoth). After F'lar and Lessa became weyrmates he was not interested any more. She tried to get F'nor, but he did not want her. She was promiscuous and did not intend to be faithful to anybody. I do not believe that she was capable of understanding why anybody would want to be faithful in a relationship.

She was a Lord Holders daughter and probably spoilt, but no matter what rank you had on Pern, you would have duties. She did not want to know about duties, only privileges.

She did not do anything for others, only for her self. She had not been invited to her sisters wedding, but she decided to go with Meron to see if she could cause a lot of embarrassment.

She did find that clutch of fire-lizard eggs and brought them to Meron, and she did not care at all that many of the hatchlings suffered and even died.

She was a queen rider and expected to have both respect and privilege because of that, she did not want to be bothered with the duties that went with being a queen rider and a member of the Weyr. Weyr leaders were not expected to be faithful to each other, but Kylara in a way unfaithful to the weyrs because she had an affair with Meron, who was very much against the weyrs.

On the day that the queens died, she claimet to have gone to Meron to get water, but if that was so important, why did she go with Meron to "rest"?

She cared for nobody but herself and that made her destructive.
Ingerid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2005, 12:57 AM   #84
McClance
Dragon Ambassador
 
McClance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Draconia, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingerid
Kylara is selfish to the extent that she will destroy things for others just because she can't have them herself. She was after F'lar (and had him a few times before Mnemnenth flew Rammoth). After F'lar and Lessa became weyrmates he was not interested any more. She tried to get F'nor, but he did not want her. She was promiscuous and did not intend to be faithful to anybody. I do not believe that she was capable of understanding why anybody would want to be faithful in a relationship.

She was a Lord Holders daughter and probably spoilt, but no matter what rank you had on Pern, you would have duties. She did not want to know about duties, only privileges.

She did not do anything for others, only for her self. She had not been invited to her sisters wedding, but she decided to go with Meron to see if she could cause a lot of embarrassment.

She did find that clutch of fire-lizard eggs and brought them to Meron, and she did not care at all that many of the hatchlings suffered and even died.

She was a queen rider and expected to have both respect and privilege because of that, she did not want to be bothered with the duties that went with being a queen rider and a member of the Weyr. Weyr leaders were not expected to be faithful to each other, but Kylara in a way unfaithful to the weyrs because she had an affair with Meron, who was very much against the weyrs.

On the day that the queens died, she claimet to have gone to Meron to get water, but if that was so important, why did she go with Meron to "rest"?

She cared for nobody but herself and that made her destructive.
Nicely said. :ok:
__________________
Friendship is powerful. It spans great distances and endures adversity.
McClance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2005, 04:30 AM   #85
Gilluin
Member
Welladay Whale
 
Gilluin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Gender: M
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

DQ page 123 Kylara is disgusted by the waste of the creatures dying on the hearth. I do think that her dragon did moderate her selfishness at bit.
Gilluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2005, 06:59 PM   #86
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.
 
Larra Dragonrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On PERN...
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

i previously posted this somewhere...

yes, but still, i think they are both misguided nut cases. i mean, Kylara barely ever paid attention to Prideth (it says so in one of the books, i think) she was too obsessed with her own ambition. so if she had paid more attention to Pirdeth, they would of had a better bond, she would have been more likely to know her dragon was going to rise, and all of the Breeke/Kylara episode could have possibly been avoided.
You know what, though? what if it was the pressure on Kylara to have to try and repopulate the dragons that totally set her mind askew? Maybe she jsut snapped because she had presure on her, and Lessa was the one everyone knew about, never her?
*just an afterthought*

Last edited by Larra Dragonrider; Feb 28 2005 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2005, 07:00 PM   #87
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.
 
Larra Dragonrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On PERN...
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

ah, yes it was in the thread, "should have been something else"
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2005, 02:02 PM   #88
edith
Dragonrider


Weyrwoman
 
edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Delft
Gender: F
Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Kylara liked being in charge but she'd've been alot better as a junior queen i think.
it wasn't the pressures on her that were the problem, it was the fact that she was-she thought- at the top of the world.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2005, 05:45 PM   #89
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice
 
Myt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wherever is home right now.
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

She didn't really think did she?
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2005, 06:31 AM   #90
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling
 
Dragongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman
Gold Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Which is why I don't agree with Anareth's coplete statement. Lessa wanted Kylara out... well, If I were Wyerwoman and I had a junior Queen rider sleeping with everything on a bronze or brown, including chasing after the Weyrleader, I'd take steps to get her out, too! Jealousy would be only a small part of it. Kylara's comment to herself was she couldn't understand how Lessa could have given up the power of being THE Queen Rider by risking herself to bring the Oldtimers foward...... That right there tells me Kylara doesn't have the far-sightness or the selflessness to be the kind of rider Lessa, Brekke, or even some of the Oldtime Queens were.
I have to agree with you AnnMarie..I'd have done more than just send her away if she was chasing after MY Weyrleader... Though I don't think around the end Lessa should have worried so much..F'lar seemed pretty much hell-bent on THE Weyrwoman and was probably just letting Kylara near him to get Lessa's attention....remember he was all flattered and pleased that she was jealous...typical man...
__________________
Paired with Calenlily. Woo, I has a stalker! *heart*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2005, 08:44 PM   #91
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice
 
Myt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wherever is home right now.
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Very typical
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2005, 05:55 AM   #92
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling
 
Dragongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman
Gold Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

I can sympathise with the poor girl ...I happen to have a boy that is doing the exact same thing right now..we're not going out but he flirts with other girls in front of me and stirs up my unfortunately very Lessa-like temper constantly just to get my attention..only problem is the more I ignore him the harder he tries ...typical male...I just realised how F'lar like he sounds...hehehe..don't mind me
__________________
Paired with Calenlily. Woo, I has a stalker! *heart*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2005, 05:56 AM   #93
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice
 
Myt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wherever is home right now.
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...
Gold Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Has anyone met a man who wasn't like that? (no offence meant to men reading this)
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22 2005, 10:09 AM   #94
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman
 
Chimaerrha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

I think Kylara was just selfish....and that got her dragon, and Brekke's, killed.
Chimaerrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22 2005, 02:20 PM   #95
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer
 
Anareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Here and There
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

I hate to sound cold, but sleeping around is part of a junior queen's job description. Lessa and Ramoth's pathological need to be rid of all competition isn't good for the Weyr, either--how much do you think those other bronze and brown riders enjoyed having one queen so neurotic/selfish she wouldn't even allow more than one or two other queens to share her Weyr, while herslef only permitting the same bronze to fly her over and over? It makes for good romance-novel writing to have a OTP running things, but in the society she created, it's the promiscuous who would be better suited to the Weyr. Kylara's problem came when she went outside the Weyr for companionship. If Lessa can't trust F'lar that's Lessa's problem, not Kylara's. She might have eventually taken the hint if she'd been kept around and eventually F'lar had driven the point home. (Also they could have kept a closer eye on her dealings with Meron, plus had the advantage that Lessa would then outrank Kylara and Ramoth would be able to keep Prideth from going to Nabol without permission, as she would be a junior queen and therefore answerable to the senior queen of her Weyr. Plus, they wouldn't have had a weak-kneed Weyrleader like T'bor at Southern, whose only real qualification was being F'lar's yes-man.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23 2005, 08:43 PM   #96
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling
 
Dragongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman
Gold Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Nicely said Anareth. Lessa probably shouldn't have been so mistrustful in the beginning but if you take it from her point of view..their relationship was only just starting out romantically and F'lar didn't sound like he had the cleanest record...all those ruddy bronze riders seem to do it, sleep around until they find someone they really like... it must be like a bronze rider thing, F'lessan did it, M'hall did it, don't know about K'vin.
I don't think Kylara would ever have taken the hint unless F'lar was the one to tell her to get lost...really makes him look like a big man doesn't it? *shakes head* IF I was Lessa I would've kicked him fair up the ass and told him to get on with it or else..
Personally I think T'bor has no balls..I mean that figuratively..poor old Orth..I reckon T'bor was at fault more because he couldn't get up the guts to really reprimand Kylara.
__________________
Paired with Calenlily. Woo, I has a stalker! *heart*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2005, 07:44 PM   #97
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

T'bor was a very good weyrleader, look at all that he did for southern to make it so self sufficient. He had men who would follow him anywhere. He was strong and even tempered, until he was around Kylara. I think that was his main failing, he fell deaply in love with the wrong woman. Remember they were together before she made impression. In the mating flight is the only place that she was all his, after they went south and she changed so badly.
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2006, 08:19 AM   #98
edith
Dragonrider


Weyrwoman
 
edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Delft
Gender: F
Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

He's a good FIGHTING weyrleader but he lacks in the social weyrleader sense. If Kylara had been a good manager this wouldn't have mattered but her lack of social skills showed up T'bors rather than cancelled them out!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8 2006, 03:59 PM   #99
DragonCat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

I think Brekke should have impressed. She wasn't power-hungry and selfish like Kylara, or fiery and perpetually pissed-off like Lessa, rather she was quiet and noble in her own way. I didn't feel that she was weak at all, although I objected to the part where F'nor has to "force" himself on her so no other rider can take advantage of her virginity. However, if you recall, just because a rider impresses a queen doesn't mean she's all that. Jora, Nemorth's rider, was fat, lazy and slovenly. I think I remember reading something in "Masterharper" about a rider reflecting on his or her dragon or vice versa.
DragonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2006, 05:37 AM   #100
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice
 
Myt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wherever is home right now.
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

"Like rider like dragon." I haven't read Masterharper so it's in another book. I think it might be "The Skies of Pern" but I'm not sure.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2007, 08:45 PM   #101
Eriflor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

When you think of it, setting up a new Weyr in a new territory at the beginning of a Pass, with inexperienced riders and dragons, wasn't the brightest thing to do. You'd expect them to at least draft in a few Oldtimer wings to the the Southern Weyr, as they did at Benden (or at least planned to), but with an Oldtimer Weyrleader and Weyrwoman in charge until the first gold flight. If an Oldtimer queen rose first, a modern bronze would probably have caught her, leading to out-breeding and a new strain of dragons.

And just to make sure Kylara got trained properly, she should have gone to one of the Oldtimer Weyrs as a very junior queenrider. Might have made a whole lot of difference to the story-line.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2007, 11:35 PM   #102
Carter
Member
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Gender: M
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
I hate to sound cold, but sleeping around is part of a junior queen's job description. Lessa and Ramoth's pathological need to be rid of all competition isn't good for the Weyr, either--how much do you think those other bronze and brown riders enjoyed having one queen so neurotic/selfish she wouldn't even allow more than one or two other queens to share her Weyr, while herslef only permitting the same bronze to fly her over and over? It makes for good romance-novel writing to have a OTP running things, but in the society she created, it's the promiscuous who would be better suited to the Weyr. Kylara's problem came when she went outside the Weyr for companionship. If Lessa can't trust F'lar that's Lessa's problem, not Kylara's. She might have eventually taken the hint if she'd been kept around and eventually F'lar had driven the point home. (Also they could have kept a closer eye on her dealings with Meron, plus had the advantage that Lessa would then outrank Kylara and Ramoth would be able to keep Prideth from going to Nabol without permission, as she would be a junior queen and therefore answerable to the senior queen of her Weyr. Plus, they wouldn't have had a weak-kneed Weyrleader like T'bor at Southern, whose only real qualification was being F'lar's yes-man.)

Utter load of hockey. I'd post more, but I'm tired and going to bed. I'll expand in the morning.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8 2007, 05:16 AM   #103
Kath
Starsmith


Weyrwoman
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oop North

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
Utter load of hockey. I'd post more, but I'm tired and going to bed. I'll expand in the morning.
....and?
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8 2007, 06:34 AM   #104
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling
 
Dragongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Come on Carter I wanna hear what the person who backed me up in the last Thread has to say
__________________
Paired with Calenlily. Woo, I has a stalker! *heart*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2007, 05:53 PM   #105
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon
 
Ryuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Back in the USSA
Gender: M
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
When you think of it, setting up a new Weyr in a new territory at the beginning of a Pass, with inexperienced riders and dragons, wasn't the brightest thing to do. You'd expect them to at least draft in a few Oldtimer wings to the the Southern Weyr, as they did at Benden (or at least planned to), but with an Oldtimer Weyrleader and Weyrwoman in charge until the first gold flight. If an Oldtimer queen rose first, a modern bronze would probably have caught her, leading to out-breeding and a new strain of dragons.

And just to make sure Kylara got trained properly, she should have gone to one of the Oldtimer Weyrs as a very junior queenrider. Might have made a whole lot of difference to the story-line.

Eriflor.
Well, considering that they didn't have the other 5 Weyrs sort of made it an act of sheer desperation, one that ultimately failed to do what they set out to do. On the other hand, after the other Weyrs showed up, it made since to them to keep Southern going as a recuperation site for injured riders.

Kylara didn't become a problem until nearly 7 Turns later when her building resentment coincided with the Oldtimers' own behavior which forced F'lar to take charge of the entire planet's dragons and exiled the dissident Oldtimers.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2007, 03:50 PM   #106
Brenda
Senior Member
 
Brenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

When they first started Southern, they were planning to go back ten years... they knew the other five northern Weyrs had been empty for the last ten years, so they had to go south.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2007, 04:19 PM   #107
makenzie71
Senior Member
Eskay
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TX
Gender: M
Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenrider Tresa View Post
If Kylara's evil, does that mean that every selfish, vain, self-centered spoiled brat is evil?
Yes.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2007, 09:50 PM   #108
Carter
Member
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Gender: M
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

OMG! lol, sorry... I got sidetracked last weekend and then completely forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
I hate to sound cold, but sleeping around is part of a junior queen's job description.
That's the biggest bunch of hockey of the load. The only time they are expected to sleep around is during mating flights. Being a whore is not a positive thing, even in a weyr. Sure, sexual views are more relaxed and casual in a weyr, but that is taking great liberalities with the whole notion. Give an inch, take a mile, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Lessa and Ramoth's pathological need to be rid of all competition isn't good for the Weyr, either--how much do you think those other bronze and brown riders enjoyed having one queen so neurotic/selfish she wouldn't even allow more than one or two other queens to share her Weyr, while herslef only permitting the same bronze to fly her over and over? It makes for good romance-novel writing to have a OTP running things, but in the society she created, it's the promiscuous who would be better suited to the Weyr.
Most senior queens won't allow too many juniors in a Weyr. Ramoth is just more particular about it. But to say "rid of all competition" is a bit of a stretch. Not to mention including Lessa in that statement. Who - else did she send away or get rid of? None come to mind, but for your statement to be true, you must know of plenty. And Ramoth is an extremely strong and good gold. That is what is good for the weyr. Too imply that a constantly changing role of lead male would be better is downright laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
It makes for good romance-novel writing to have a OTP running things, but in the society she created, it's the promiscuous who would be better suited to the Weyr.
Again, you are twisting and bending... relaxed views on sexual relations, understanding of weyrlife... that is better suited for weyrlife. Sure someone promiscuous certainly wouldn't have a problem (sexually) there, but weyrs aren't rampant with oversexed, hormone driven, sluts. Can you imagine the problems that would cause???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Kylara's problem came when she went outside the Weyr for companionship.
A true statement! Though, that's "companionship" in the loosest sense of the word. She was using Meron as much as he was using her. It was more a relationship that was lasting while they were each useful to each other's plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
If Lessa can't trust F'lar that's Lessa's problem, not Kylara's. She might have eventually taken the hint if she'd been kept around and eventually F'lar had driven the point home.
Her trust in F'lar wasn't the issue. Or least not as much the issue. It was her trust in Kylara that really caused problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
(Also they could have kept a closer eye on her dealings with Meron, plus had the advantage that Lessa would then outrank Kylara and Ramoth would be able to keep Prideth from going to Nabol without permission, as she would be a junior queen and therefore answerable to the senior queen of her Weyr. Plus, they wouldn't have had a weak-kneed Weyrleader like T'bor at Southern, whose only real qualification was being F'lar's yes-man.)
When it came time to set up Southern, there really weren't any other choices to send. And T'bor wasn't a bad WL. His only real fault was being in love with Kylara - and he let her lead him around by the nose. In general, away from her, you can't really call him weak-kneed (well, you can, but that doesn't make it true...). But, you are right, that was a major flaw of his. As far as controlling her whereabouts, Kylara was a queenrider. She should have been more responsible. Period. It shouldn't have been upon Lessa's (or anyone else's) shoulders to have to control Kylara's whereabouts.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2007, 10:46 PM   #109
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman
 
Chimaerrha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter
Most senior queens won't allow too many juniors in a Weyr. Ramoth is just more particular about it. But to say "rid of all competition" is a bit of a stretch. Not to mention including Lessa in that statement. Who - else did she send away or get rid of? None come to mind, but for your statement to be true, you must know of plenty. And Ramoth is an extremely strong and good gold. That is what is good for the weyr. Too imply that a constantly changing role of lead male would be better is downright laughable.
We don't know that. Actually, every senior queen we see is not nearly as jealous as Ramoth. We don't actually see any other queen get jealous of the juniors. Witness:

Meranath: 5 junior queens and no jealousy
Orlith: 3 junior queens and no jealousy
Faranth: innumerable junior queens and no jealousy

I think it's just because Lessa's lost so many people in her life that she's really possessive of those she does love...and she sort of wants to keep her Weyr to herself - even though Kylara was the only annoying junior WW (the other junior WW, Celina, is described by F'lessan in ATWOP, as the "sort anyone could get along with.")
Chimaerrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2007, 04:10 AM   #110
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling
 
Dragongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

I definitely agree with Chimmy on all those statements, particularly the one about queenriders sleeping around as part of the description. Yes, they may have to sleep with more than one bronze or even brown rider during her queen's flight but does that really have to stop her from having one true weyrmate?

My answer is no. If her weyrmate had half a brain he'd know perfectly well that she's going to have to sleep with others and that that won't diminish their relationship in any way. Same goes for the goldrider. That bronze is more than likely going to chase a few greens now and then so the same principles apply.

From my experience, its very much like dancing. Now the wife/hubby of the dancer very well knows that their other half is going to need to 'get intimate' to a degree with the dance partner so they can pull the dance off successfully. The same goes for flights, for the flight to be successful the goldrider's going to have to get intimate with the winning bronze rider. Her weyrmate knows that and knows that those instances aren't going to stop both parties from sleeping with each other the rest of the time. Unless the queenrider is a wanton skank like Kylara, there's no need to worry. Not to mention the fact that if the bronze/brown or gold rider got jealous of these instances they'd be laughed out of the weyr.

Quote:
I think it's just because Lessa's lost so many people in her life that she's really possessive of those she does love...
I wondered when someone would openly agree with me on this(except for Cheryl, she agreed with me in chat ).
Lessa's had a pretty harsh life up until she Impressed. She had to-if not watch, no doubt listen-to her family and her friends be slaughtered in the Ruathan massacre. Now, even the strongest of people will be deeply affected by that. But instead of curling up and crying(and maybe she did, who knows?) and letting them really get to her she focused on her revenge, and by the looks of it pushed much of the conflict and loss she felt to the back of her mind. At first glance, the result is a tough and at times very harsh and unfeeling being. And many seem to think thats all she is.

Me? I think its a lie. I have a friend very similar to her who once she opened up, would often cry on my shoulder so I know.
Deep down inside, she would still be feeling the hurt and fear of all those years ago, which would be compounded by all those years of mistrust and cruelty she endured as a drudge. Even when she became Ramoth's rider its obvious she was still deeply mistrustful of people and that would have made it extremely hard for her to become close, befriend and even love another person. Why? Because she was afraid of being hurt, afraid of losing another loved one. So it was easy to just hold everyone at arm's length, because she would feel more controlled that way. Love, passion, caring, even lust are all emotions we feel when were friendly or in love, and there pretty darned hard emotions to control. And that would've compounded her fear of getting close again. (I think Shalyn said something on this in her Thread )
But its obvious that when she does allow herself to feel such things for others, she's in it with all her heart. Naturally she's going to be possessive of those she loves, because she does not want to lose them. The very thought probably terrifies her. So she can't help it if she is possessive of her Weyr, because she loves it. She can't help it if she gets jealous over someone trying to steal F'lar, because she is afraid of losing him to someone else. Her past circumstances are what caused her to be this way.

So I don't blame her for her fears or her jealousy(as some here seem to do) I mean, hello? This is the first person she has allowed herself to completely trust and love, not to mention the first man she's allowed herself to fall in love with. (Cause there's no way she would have experienced that in her drudge years :irked: ). That is a big deal.
So of course she's going to be possessive and jealous, especially considering the competition was a wanton slut who got it on with anything that breathed and looked like they had the...erm...assets. Ramoth would sense that and reflect on it plus the fact she is a rather...um...superior gold. But that doesn't make her bad. She is a strong gold and Lessa is a strong Weyrwoman bar the occasional tantrum. *chuckles*
On it being Lessa's fault that Kylara turned out like that because of Lessa...utter load of rotten eggs .
I'd say more on that but I believe Chim's already elaborated:

Quote:
When it came time to set up Southern, there really weren't any other choices to send. And T'bor wasn't a bad WL. His only real fault was being in love with Kylara - and he let her lead him around by the nose. In general, away from her, you can't really call him weak-kneed (well, you can, but that doesn't make it true...). But, you are right, that was a major flaw of his. As far as controlling her whereabouts, Kylara was a queenrider. She should have been more responsible. Period. It shouldn't have been upon Lessa's (or anyone else's) shoulders to have to control Kylara's whereabouts.
T'bor was at fault to a point for not keeping her in check. And being in love is not an excuse.
And despite her being a selfish, egotistic, stuck up pain in the ass, Kylara was an adult, a Weyrwoman at that, and should have been able to look after herself and use c.o.m.m.o.n s.e.n.s.e. It was on no one's shoulder's or their job to constantly check her. Had she shown more restraint, none of that stuff would have happened. Had she listened to others, lost some of her egocentricness (that a word?) she wouldn't have screwed up like she did.

Oh great all this deep people analysing makes me want to re-read DF and DQ now
__________________
Paired with Calenlily. Woo, I has a stalker! *heart*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2007, 05:53 AM   #111
Kath
Starsmith


Weyrwoman
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oop North

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Ah, dammit, I had a really good post in here....

Will try and remember the salient points another time.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2007, 05:44 PM   #112
Brenda
Senior Member
 
Brenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Had she listened to others, lost some of her egocentricness (that a word?) she wouldn't have screwed up like she did.
Egocentricity.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2007, 08:06 PM   #113
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling
 
Dragongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Thanks Brenda
__________________
Paired with Calenlily. Woo, I has a stalker! *heart*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2007, 01:11 AM   #114
DeAnna
Guest
 

Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Kylara was vain selfish and egocentric. she needed an attitude adjustment like Flar said too bad you cant beat a queens rider.
  Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2007, 03:45 AM   #115
makenzie71
Senior Member
Eskay
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TX
Gender: M
Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

This is a great thread...kylara's bad...nuh uh, just misunderstood...bad, here's a reason...you're wrong, she's blah blah...yadda yadda yadda...etc...lol

She's the antagonist...simple fact. Makes her the bad guy regardless of reason. However, I think her killing Pridith and Wyrenth wasn't as interesting a concept as Canth knocking up a queen.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2007, 07:00 PM   #116
Brenda
Senior Member
 
Brenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis
Gender: F
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

I was just looking for something in DF and decided to quote the description of Kylara:
Quote:
Kylara had been one of the ten candidates from the same Search three years ago which had discovered Lessa. Like others who survived Impression, Kylara had found certain aspects of Weyr life exactly suited to her temperament. She had gone from one rider's weyr to another's. She had even seduced F'lar - not at all against his will, to be sure. Now that he was Weyrleader, he found it wiser to ignore her efforts to continue the relationship. T'bor had taken her in hand and had had his hands full until he retired her to the Lower Caverns, well advanced in pregnancy.

Aside from having the amorous tendancies of a green dragon, Kylara was quick and ambitious. She would make a strong Weyrwoman, so F'lar had charged Manora and Lessa with the job of planting the notion in Kylara's mind. In the capacity of Weyrwoman... of another Weyr... her intense drives would be used to Pern's advantage. She had not learned the same lessons of restraint and patience that Lessa had, and she didn't have Lessa's devious mind. Fortunately she was in considerable awe of Lessa, and F'lar suspected that Lessa was subtly influencing this attitude. In Kylara's case, F'lar preferred not to object to Lessa's meddling.
I'll post the references to the Southern Continent when I get to them.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29 2007, 01:09 PM   #117
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman
 
Chimaerrha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I was just looking for something in DF and decided to quote the description of Kylara:

I'll post the references to the Southern Continent when I get to them.
I'll be happy to get the quotations () if you tell me what you're lookin' for...

Do these help? (Assuming you're looking for references to Kylara in Southern and Southern in DF).

DF on.:

Quote:
"Shortsighted of me to suppose our dragons are all poor Pern needs to dispatch the Threads. Yet…" She shrugged expressively. "There are other methods," F'lar said, "or there were. There must have been. I have run across frequent mention that the Holds were organizing ground groups and that they were armed with fire. What kind is never mentioned because it was so well known." He threw up his hands in disgust and sagged back down on the bench. "Not even five hundred dragons could have seared all the Threads that fell today. Yet they managed to keep Pern Thread-free."
"Pern, yes, but wasn't the Southern Continent lost? Or did they just have their hands too full with Pern itself?"
"No one's bothered with the Southern Continent in a hundred thousand Turns," F'lar snorted.
"It's on the maps," Lessa reminded him.
He scowled disgustedly at the Records, piled in uncommunicative stacks on the long table.
"The answer must be there. Somewhere."
Quote:
"Send Kylara back… where to? When to?" Lessa interrupted him.
"Good point." F'lar dragged out the ubiquitous charts. "Very good point. Where can we send them around here without causing anomalies by being present at one of the other Weyrs? The High Reaches are remote. No, we've found remains of fires there, you know, still warm, and no inkling as to who built them or why. And if we had already sent them back, they'd've been ready for today, and they weren't. So they can't have been in two places already... ." He shook his head, dazed by the paradoxes.
Lessa's eyes were drawn to the blank outline of the neglected Southern Continent. "Send them there," she suggested sweetly, pointing. "There's nothing there."
"They bring in what they need. There must be water, for Threads can't devour that. We fly in whatever else is needed, fodder for the herdbeasts, grain... ."
F'lar drew his brows together in concentration, his eyes sparkling with thought, the depression and defeat of a few moments ago forgotten.
[QUOTE]How do we know that?" Lessa caught him up sharply, too delighted with many aspects of this project to give it up easily. "The Records don't mention the Southern Continent, true, but they omit a great deal. How do we know it isn't green again in the four hundred Turns since the Threads last spun? We do know that Threads can't last long unless there is something organic on which to feed and that once they've devoured all, they dry up and blow away."
F'lar looked at her admiringly. "Now, why hasn
Quote:
In order to get back to the Southern Continent of ten Turns ago, Lessa and F'nor had decided it was easiest to transfer first between times to the Weyr of ten Turns back which F'nor remembered. Then they would go between places to a seapoint just off the coast of the neglected Southern Continent which was as close to it as the Records gave any references.
F'nor put Canth in mind of a particular day he remembered ten Turns back, and Ramoth picked up the references from the brown's mind. The awesome cold of between times took Lessa's breath away, and it was with intense relief that she caught a glimpse of the normal weyr activity before the dragons took them between places to hover over the turgid sea.
Beyond them, smudged purple on this overcast and gloomy day, lurked the Southern Continent. Lessa felt a new anxiety replace the uncertainty of the temporal displacement. Ramoth beat forward with great sweeps of her wings, making for the distant coast. Canth gallantly tried to maintain a matching speed.
Quote:
Even at the pace Ramoth set, it took time to reach the jagged shoreline with its forbidding cliffs, stark stone in the sullen light. Lessa groaned inwardly but urged Ramoth higher to see over the masking highlands. All seemed gray and desolate from that altitude. Suddenly the sun broke through the cloud cover and the gray dissolved into dense greens and browns, living colors, the live greens of lush tropical growth, the browns of vigorous trees and vines. Lessa's cry of triumph was echoed by F'nor's hurrah and the brass voices of the dragons. Wherries, startled by the unusual sound, rose in squeaking alarm from their perches.
Beyond the headland, the land sloped away to jungle and grassy plateau, similar to mid-Boll. Though they searched all morning, they found no hospitable cliffs wherein to found a new Weyr. Was that a contributing factor in the southern venture's failure, Lessa wondered.
Discouraged, they landed on a high plateau by a small lake. The weather was warm but not oppressive, and while F'nor and Lessa ate their noonday meal, the two dragons wallowed in the water, refreshing themselves.
Quote:
"There's the southern Weyr," F'nor suggested. "We've been gone from there six Turns in this time, and the herdbeasts were left. They'll have multiplied, and there'll be all that fruit and grain."
"It would please me to see that southern venture continued," F'lar remarked, nodding encouragingly at F'nor.
"Yes, and continue Kylara down there, please, too," F'nor added urgently, his eyes sparkling with irritation.
DQ on.:

Quote:
There, she’d frowned unattractively. She must remember not to screw her brows that way; it made wrinkles. Kylara ran her hands down her sides, testing the smooth curves sensuously, drawing one hand across her Rat belly. Flat even after five brats. Well, there’d be no more. She had the way of it now. Just a few moments longer between at the proper time and . .
Quote:
F’lar entertained the wild mental image of the blonde sensual Kylara seducing the sturdy Oldtimer. Not that she’d even glanced at the Istan Weyrleader.
Chimaerrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2007, 09:57 PM   #118
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling
 
Dragongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

That last quote always makes me giggle...I can just see the horrified look on F'lar's face at the image.
__________________
Paired with Calenlily. Woo, I has a stalker! *heart*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2007, 01:37 AM   #119
Goldrider Thais
Senior Member
Heavyworlder
 
Goldrider Thais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonflight <3 F'lar fan
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

Horrified look of Kylara seducing him or just of Kylara herself?
Goldrider Thais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2007, 08:14 PM   #120
gadhelic
Inactive
 
gadhelic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Top North East Corner of Wales

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: james clemens Wit'ch gate
Default Re: Kylara, a Bad girl or just misunderstood?

She's the antagonist...simple fact. Makes her the bad guy regardless of reason. However, I think her killing Pridith and Wyrenth wasn't as interesting a concept as Canth knocking up a queen.[/QUOTE]

Not quite the way I'd have put it - but it would have been an interesting direction
gadhelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mystery Characters! Anareth Dragonriders of Pern 37 Mar 22 2006 06:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

A Meeting of Minds forum owned by Cheryl B. Miller.
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey’s fiction are copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2008, all rights reserved, and used by permission of the author.