A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Today, 06:16 PM   #961
SpaceCowboy

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Zel that roof is a nightmare of a design and probably will hit the higher end of your budget without any problems coming up. And as you said with this house problems are guaranteed. A roof with 4 flat sections would have been better and the ridge cap would have been less likely to be missed. I am guessing that the top left has something to do with the conservatory I believe you have mentioned and that is problematic on its own. I showed this to my roommate/stepdad who is in construction that was his assessment of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
We've been trying to get hold of a roofer to look at the occasional water ingress issue we know we have pretty much since the day we moved in - in 2014 - without success.

Finally today we actually got someone to go and take a look, mainly because they were doing work next door!

Big problem we have is that you can't *see* 90% of our roof. Because it's at quite a shallow angle there's no line of sight on it.

Turns out that the bit of water ingress we were aware of was because an entire ridge tile is missing. It has been missing for a long time. Like "since the 90s" sort of long.

That however is just the tip of the iceberg, long term water ingress from there and due to the failure of the felt under the tiles means that the bottom foot or so of the roof basically isn't there - the tiles are holding the structure together.

So basically we need two completely new roofs and repairs to the two smaller areas.

Budget? Assuming no more horrors are unearthed when the work starts (yeah...on this house? They'll find plenty I'm sure), somewhere in the region of GBP 15-20K. Entirely possible though that could more than double.

What fun.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:52 PM   #962
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Green Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Zel that roof is a nightmare of a design and probably will hit the higher end of your budget without any problems coming up. And as you said with this house problems are guaranteed. A roof with 4 flat sections would have been better and the ridge cap would have been less likely to be missed. I am guessing that the top left has something to do with the conservatory I believe you have mentioned and that is problematic on its own. I showed this to my roommate/stepdad who is in construction that was his assessment of the situation.
I don't know but if this could help or not but hhere in the USA PBS has a few HOW to Shows PBS Ask TThis Old House , comes to mind, they have 'seebn' many roof problems, they might be able to connect wwith tthere counterparts ttthere in UK, and there is One more tthat
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote