A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Dec 18 2004, 12:29 AM   #1
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Food and drink related hobbies

Since Christmas feasts are coming up, I thought it apposite to chat about food and drink related hobbies. I've decided to start one myself: making alcoholic punches, starting with recipes made and collected by Arthur Machen.

What are your hobbies, or even specialities, and how will you incorporate them in to your Yuletide festivities?
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Vilkacis
Inactive

Default Re: Food and drink related hobbies

Does an utter addictive obsession with all things chocolate count as a hobby? If so that's mine!

Also, I like making desserts so am gonna take advantage of the holidays as an excuse for excessive dessert making (with chocolate of course!) cos we don't have them too often the rest of the year
Vilkacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 12:54 PM   #3
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Baking. Need I say more?
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 01:04 PM   #4
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Drinking. Need I say more???

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Vilkacis
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
Drinking. Need I say more???
And I'll bet that research referred to in your siggy was done in the college bar, of course it makes sense after a few drinks!
No wonder it appeals!
Vilkacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 07:36 PM   #6
Pat
Inactive

For years, I never drank wine...but on a trip to upstate New York, I discovered local wines and small wineries.

Since then, whenever we travel, I try to stop at local wineries and taste test. If we like it, we buy a bottle or two. My collection of wine is becoming a little geography lesson.

(a little wine trivia...only 3 states in the US do NOT have wineries, can you guess which ones?.....see end of my post for answers.)

I also collect depression wine glasses.

How this fits into the holidays, you ask? When my guests come, they are offered a choice of wine from various states and choice of wine glasses from the collection. Its fun to see their choices and get reaction to the different wines.

Most unusal so far...From Florida...Orange wine fremented with a hint of chocolate syrup.

(the 3 states.... Alaska, Wisconsin, and (oops) one of the Dakotas, but I can't remember which one now!!! )
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2004, 03:12 PM   #7
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Odd on Wisconsin...must be the wrong side of the lake. (Michigan not only has wineries, at a 2003 Bon Apetit wine judging/tasting event in San Francisco, an international panel in a blind tasting placed a Michigan Reisling as the best white wine, out of hundreds including German, French, California, etc. No judge was able to blind-guess its place of origin and all were in shock when the identity of the winner was revealed. Michgan produces top-quality wines but gets very little respect for it from CA and NY-based publications.)

Baking, candymaking, but I'm taking food from hobby to profession, so it won't count any more.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2004, 04:31 PM   #8
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Wisconsin has no wineroes because they need all avaiable acreage for their dairy herds!

Don't forget, you gotta have Wisconsin cheese to go with Michigan wine!
Old Dec 19 2004, 09:19 PM   #9
SecretFantasy85
Inactive

my mom used to always ask me, "do you want some cheese with that whine?" when ever I was being bratty and complaining

I always make almond cookies. It's wonderful. I love baking, but my favorite nut is almond so that's what I make. I don't exactly have a special hobby that concerns drink or food other then baking, but that's rather common. NO WAIT I got it lol...I write little amazing yet unknown facts (usually about Christmas, though some aren't) on little slips of paper to go around each cookie...only about 6 different ones though and they're all mixed in with the cookies because I make 4 dozen, and 48 little facts would wipe me out for next year lol. So that's my hobby...finding little unknown but cool facts and putting them around almond cookies lol
SecretFantasy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2004, 11:05 PM   #10
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretFantasy85
my mom used to always ask me, "do you want some cheese with that whine?" when ever I was being bratty and complaining

I always make almond cookies. It's wonderful. I love baking, but my favorite nut is almond so that's what I make. I don't exactly have a special hobby that concerns drink or food other then baking, but that's rather common. NO WAIT I got it lol...I write little amazing yet unknown facts (usually about Christmas, though some aren't) on little slips of paper to go around each cookie...only about 6 different ones though and they're all mixed in with the cookies because I make 4 dozen, and 48 little facts would wipe me out for next year lol. So that's my hobby...finding little unknown but cool facts and putting them around almond cookies lol
Do you know that in Italy (at least prior to WWII) it wasn't Father Christmas or Santa Claus that brought the gifts? It was a woman called Belafonta.
Old Dec 22 2004, 06:27 PM   #11
SecretFantasy85
Inactive

wow....that's one going on the cookies this year...my grandmother is half italian so that would be real interesting to our family lol thanks for the fact mom
SecretFantasy85 is offline   Reply With Quote