A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 14 2007, 07:05 AM   #1
enkeli
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Dragonsinger
Default Is there going to be a Pern movie??

I've heard since coming here that there might be a Pern movie made, at least I've heard people talking about who should play what characters! Is it a real project? I'd love it to come true ^^ I've always thought there should be a movie!! And Is there any dates for it to maybe be made?
enkeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Is there going to be a Pern movie??

Copperheart Studios currently owns the rights to make movies from the Pern books. This deal looks promising, but it's very early in the process -- which is to say that the studio isn't actively making the movie yet, but seems sincere in doing so in the next year or two. There have been movie deals in the past, for the Pern series, and for other Anne books as well, and nothing has come of it. It starts when someone buys the "option" rights to a work, which is just that -- an option to produce it (which does pay the author nicely), but no guarantee they will.

So, we're all hopeful (and dreaming about casting), but not counting our chickens just yet.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Have there really been other movie deals? All I know of was the WB TV show that got shut down just before shooting because they wanted to change the story/characters too much, and something of a cartoon series waaaaay back sometime, which also crashed because they wanted to have pink and purple firelizards, and a guy on another planet flipping a switch to make Thread fall

So if they keep going forward with this deal, let them learn from previous mistakes! DON'T CHANGE IT SO MUCH!
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

There was at least one or two before the WB show.

In one of them, the story was re-written so that Lessa's mom passed her the "Ruby Ring of Time[travel]" on her deathbed, which is how Lessa was able to bring forward the lost Weyrs. Small wonder Anne quashed it.
Old May 14 2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Old May 14 2007, 11:39 PM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

LOL, now I'd not heard that one, Cheryl!!!

I did hear of how they wanted the dragons to go between using a wormhole. Now this is after we've all read Black Blacker Blackest, how many times???? But the ruby ring of timetravel takes the cake!!!
Old May 15 2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

They DID make them use a wormhole for the Dreamcast/PC game But yeah, that's nothing compared to those other whacked ideas
Old May 15 2007, 07:00 AM   #8
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Whacked? You call that WHACKED?!!?!

Ruby Ring of Time...god what next? Are Lessa and the dragonmen going to start wearing uber-tight leather or spandex when they go riding?

(Mmm...F'lar in uber-tight leather... )

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)

Last edited by Dragongirl; May 15 2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Screwed up the word whacked...
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

As far as I know there have been three of four movie deals prior to the Copperheart one, besides the TV one.

Anne had a lot of trouble getting rid of the first one (Anne said they wanted to kill Pern) but that horrible episode in her life (not easy to turn down a million dollar advance...) gave her her acquiantance with her lawyer Jay Katz and that she has treasured ever since

Movie deals are sometimes not widely known. In the days I was admin and webmaster for Anne's wbsite I know there was a lot of hush hush about the fact that Sony had taken an option on the script. That doesn't mean much as the big time producer companies have many readers of books and option thousands of books, sometimes in just so that somebody else can't Obviously that deal fell through as Copperheart has the rights now.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2007, 10:26 AM   #10
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
god what next? Are Lessa and the dragonmen going to start wearing uber-tight leather or spandex when they go riding?

Hmmmm. Carrie-Anne Moss in her Matrix outfit as Lessa. (I know, she's too tall, but the idea is nice.)

Well, the jackets should be WWII style bomber jackets, but the underlying clothes could be the uber-tight leather. The Spandex wouldn't come along until AVAIS (sp?) taught them how to use different plant weaves to make clothes more fitting.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Dragongirl
Weyrling

F'lar in leather...

*gets dazed look*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old May 16 2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight <3 F'lar fan
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray

I know what you mean, Dragongirl...
Goldrider Thais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2007, 04:25 AM   #13
Dragongirl
Weyrling

*continues to zone out in land of fantasies*

Old May 19 2007, 12:55 AM   #14
PernRider
Inactive

Fan of: Pern! Harper Halls books
Now Reading: Beyond the Hanging Wall
2cent Re: Is there going to be a Pern movie??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
There was at least one or two before the WB show.

In one of them, the story was re-written so that Lessa's mom passed her the "Ruby Ring of Time[travel]" on her deathbed, which is how Lessa was able to bring forward the lost Weyrs. Small wonder Anne quashed it.
Hi! I've been reading these since I was nine (almost twenty years now . . . well, eighteen, anyway . . . ) I'd LOVE to see a Pern movie . . . I'd be first in line with my oldest daughter (she's only five, a little young for Pern, but she does love dragons!

But some of these plotlines . . . yikes!!! I think dragons that can travel through time should be enough! You'd think . . . Hollywood always wants more bang for their buck . . . how many books have been ruined that way? (Thinking of Eragon, which I still have yet to see . . . )

Hope she's got better sense than to let them destroy it like that!
PernRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2007, 10:04 AM   #15
J'han
Inactive

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer

Ruby Ring of Time travel? Does she get it from squashing Fax with the Watch-wher's house? Or is that sticking too close to the story?

*wipes drool off of chin*
Well, technically, they did wear leather pants for Threadfall... I've always pictured Young Carrie Fisher as Lessa, especially when she (as Princess Leia) gets that feisty spark in her eye, with her hair all crackelly around the edges cause she's irritated or mad at Han. That said, F'lar...

I'll post this elsewhere so that I don't waste space...
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2007, 04:15 PM   #16
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

Just as long as the film's made well with decent actors (not much to ask for )
Hope they don't murder it like other books --> films .....eragon...etc...
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2007, 03:48 PM   #17
Carter
Inactive

2cent Re: Is there going to be a Pern movie??

Eragon wasn't a bad movie. It was a very, very basic generalization of the book, yes - more "adapted from" than "based on". But not a bad movie. (It wasn't exactly incredible either, but I did like it.) The book wasn't all that awesome either, though. The beginning (which was, thankfully, cut WAY short in the movie) was all out flat boring.

On one hand, I can't wait for a Pern movie, but, on the other, I shudder at the thought of all the rabid fanatics who are going to rip any Pern movie apart because it doesn't perfectly match their idea of what it should be.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2007, 10:33 PM   #18
A'thony
Inactive

Now Reading: MasterHarper of pern

What I am most concerned about is, assuming the movie is made and is awesome, people "jumping on the band wagon" like pern is this great new thing they when it is actually 40 years old.

I also agee with you Carter, about "rabid fanatics", i just hope i don't become one. I will try my best to enjoy what we are presented with. I will just have to keep in mind that books and films are two completely different forms of media and "converting" from one to the other would be a great task. On the the other blatent changes to storyline or functionality in the book(such as a Ruby Ring of Time) would be very saddening.
A'thony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2007, 11:33 PM   #19
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I alway find that books are far better than the movie.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2007, 04:32 AM   #20
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Hey, as long as they stick to proper dragon colours and keep the characters as they should be, I won't have any major complaints.

Though I swear if they have the Ruby Ring of Time or start referring to Lessa as Princess of Ruatha(even though in Terra standards she probably would be. ) I swear people are going to be seeing huge, dollopy popcorn kernels being hurled at the screen...

Old Jun 5 2007, 08:53 AM   #21
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Hmmm, is anyone prepared to bail Dragongirl out of jail after she's hauled off for disorderly conduct in the theater?

I really like Naomi Novik's view of a movie-from-book as a derivative work. This of it as a re-interpretation of the book by a fan (albeit a rich fan who can afford to make a movie of it). No matter what they do to the story, the original book still stands as is on its own, always will.
Old Jun 5 2007, 10:57 AM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Now, now Sammie....be thankful that someday we will actually get to see a Pern movie, but I will most fervently hope with you... that they don't go putting into it things that aren't anywhere at all... on Pern!!! Lets just hope that whomever has the honor of making the movie...actually likes the stories, then it will have a chance of being wonderful for all of us fans...and Anne.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 09:12 AM   #23
Dragongirl
Weyrling

They'd have to catch me first.

Lets see, I'd need to disguise dark hair...wouldn't be hard. But my eyes...damn. How many people do we know of with amber eyes?

Ironic, the eyes that make people-and boys - melt would get me caught out.

No need to panic, I'm just planning ahead...I'm not all sweetness you know.

Old Jun 6 2007, 09:13 AM   #24
Dragongirl
Weyrling

*looks at former post and scratches head*

Hm...I seem to be slightly crazy as of late.

Old Jun 6 2007, 10:58 AM   #25
Carter
Inactive

Given the number of books and short stories and whatever else, the world of Pern has become less a series of stories to me than a series of events or a big ol' world of happenings. That being the case, I care much less about a movie following this book or that book to a "T" than I do about them keeping true to the spirit of the series and the "rules" of the Pern universe - not that Todd hasn't already stomped all over Pern cannon, but anyway...

That being said, from a fan's POV, I'd like them to start with, Dragon Flight, as that book sets up the basis for the series and the world. However, I think it would put more butts in seats if they started with, Dragon's Dawn. I think more people unfamiliar with the series (and non-readers) are more likely to go see a "sci-fi" movie than a "fantasy" movie. That way - let's just assume its successful enough for a next movie - it could pave the way for the 9th Pass stories that don't necessarily have to be about a "book" than about "x" series of events (which often happen across several books in this series).

I think it should stick to 9th Pass for a while, though. If you then tried to throw in stories from other passes, it'd be too much discontinuity and they'd lose too many casual movie goers who might have returned to see what happened next with the characters they'd already been introduced to.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 11:35 AM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
<snip>people-and boys <snip>

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 6 2007, 06:02 PM   #27
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I expect it's a grandfather's duty to bail her out (and set her a forfeit)

It would be quite like old times. Taking my brother to the cinema was embarrassing: he'd stand up on the seat and cheer!

One time he had a large steel ball-bearing with him and he dropped it. It rolled, "bonk, bonk," down every step to the front where it went, "clank!" into the brass rail in front of the screen.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 11:01 PM   #28
Salem
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: All the weyrs of pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Have there really been other movie deals? All I know of was the WB TV show that got shut down just before shooting because they wanted to change the story/characters too much, and something of a cartoon series waaaaay back sometime, which also crashed because they wanted to have pink and purple firelizards, and a guy on another planet flipping a switch to make Thread fall

So if they keep going forward with this deal, let them learn from previous mistakes! DON'T CHANGE IT SO MUCH!
I do agree, I loved eragon the book but when i saw the movie i went straight home and burned it. actually i bought five more copies and went to the book burning may 15 out in the woods. some people even brought movies. Of course for some odd reason nijay came up to me with the book insisting that i keep it, not knowing about the burning, how very peculiar *ahem, Coughs* any way, I wouldn't like to see it in cartoon even if it was exactly like the books. I would keep thinking of bugs bunny
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 11:05 PM   #29
Salem
Inactive

Quote:

Ruby Ring of Time...god what next? Are Lessa and the dragonmen going to start wearing uber-tight leather or spandex when they go riding?

by dragon girl:

Dont taunt me
Old Jun 6 2007, 11:15 PM   #30
Salem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
Eragon wasn't a bad movie. It was a very, very basic generalization of the book, yes - more "adapted from" than "based on". But not a bad movie. (It wasn't exactly incredible either, but I did like it.) The book wasn't all that awesome either, though. The beginning (which was, thankfully, cut WAY short in the movie) was all out flat boring.

On one hand, I can't wait for a Pern movie, but, on the other, I shudder at the thought of all the rabid fanatics who are going to rip any Pern movie apart because it doesn't perfectly match their idea of what it should be.
I was quite willing with eragon and ill tell you the first part of the book was my favorite. I just cant belive saphera turned into a ball of fire and was grown in like five seconds. I still watch the movie for Murtaugh though *Drools in sweet anticipation*. what a hotty. If the man who plays F'lar is not hot though ill become a terrorist and bomb whoever gets the deal. that is not a threat, that's a promise. And they should make lots of sceans with his shirt off. As a matter of fact, if knowone minds me sayig so, Kaleb from the covenant might not be a bad choice. he might be to young but god hes hot
Old Jun 6 2007, 11:19 PM   #31
Salem
Inactive

Quote:
Hey, as long as they stick to proper dragon colours and keep the characters as they should be, I won't have any major complaints.

Though I swear if they have the Ruby Ring of Time or start referring to Lessa as Princess of Ruatha(even though in Terra standards she probably would be. ) I swear people are going to be seeing huge, dollopy popcorn kernels being hurled at the screen...
i think i might just buy a large popcorn for that very reason and if Murtaugh from eragon came to my house............*day dreams*
Old Jun 7 2007, 01:58 AM   #32
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
So long as Anne is around when a movie is made then I know that the result will be HER vision of Pern. Not my vision or some other person's but HERS and I'll be happy. Regardless there are going to be things I feel should be in the movie and are left out and I'll try to get past it. I'll try to be happy to see it finally come to 'life'.
Old Jun 7 2007, 03:43 AM   #33
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Who wants to bet I get homicidal if they screw up F'lar? Or even Lessa?

*whistles innocently*

Old Jun 7 2007, 10:25 AM   #34
GHarris

Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem View Post
by dragon girl:

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

I wouldn't necessarily mind the uber-tight leather (especially if CZJ is playing Lessa), so long as they have the riding jackets (which should look similar to WWII Bomber Jackets) and suitable riding boots.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2007, 12:05 AM   #35
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Bad thing? Not at all.

If CZJ plays Lessa in leather I'd be Impressed. (I mean that in a woman-admiring-other woman way of course. ) Of course it'll be even more fun to watch F'lar's reaction. In fact, I highly doubt his actor will need any help showing his appreciation at all.

I'll be the one drooling and scrabbling at the screen when F'lar appears. And if he's in uber-tight leather? All the better. And if he's in shirtless? Well...

Mmmm.... *daydreams*

Old Jun 8 2007, 12:06 AM   #36
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Come to think of it, isn't Lessa wearing something akin to tight leather on one of the DF covers?

Old Jun 8 2007, 03:43 AM   #37
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Come to think of it, isn't Lessa wearing something akin to tight leather on one of the DF covers?
Tight leather? Nope, don't see it...

But if you girls are talking about dragonriding hunks in other topics, I want to show one of my all time favourite Pern covers

Old Jun 8 2007, 04:54 AM   #38
Dragongirl
Weyrling

IS THAT SUPPOSE TO BE LESSA?!

...Isn't she supposed to be a brunnette? Or whatever you call people with black hair?

Old Jun 8 2007, 06:02 AM   #39
Hans
Master Archivist

I guess so not very accurate, I agree, but the cover has a very high amusement value

The artist clearly studied and read the book because not only is there woman on a dragon, even the red star (OK, OK pionkish, but still) is represented on this magnificent cover!

I always thought only a Scandinavian (a Swede in this case) could probably come up with a woman flying naked ona dragon (even thinking of between now gives me goosebumps and makes my hair stand out) until I saw Beverly Lebarrows cover for the UK hardcover of Dragonquest

Oh, a brunette is a woman with brown hair (brun = brown in French) as for blackhaired people; they call them erm 'blackhaired' I think And men with black hair... jets!

Old Jun 8 2007, 06:59 AM   #40
Dragongirl
Weyrling

And wouldn't it get a tad painful to ride a dragon nude?

So F'lar's a "jet" hm?

*gutters*