A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Mar 14 2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Cool Masterharper of Pern album

Hi all!!

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Masterharper of Pern album is available from iTunes for $9.99.And, yes, it's the entire album- what a deal!
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Masterharper of Pern album

Thats lovely news for the fans of Tanya Opland and Mike Freeman's music, that don't already have a copy...as thats a lot cheaper than the CD has been.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Yes, I knew that but... then you miss out on that lovely cover
and when you buy the CD you can make MP3's for your player and comp yourself

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

But...if you have the book Masterharper of Pern (and I'm sure you have the US version, Hans, of all people!) you already have the cover art!
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

I know Anareth and essentially you are right, but... as you well know I'm a crazy collector and the first 500 or so of the CD are labeled "limited edition" and has Anne's signature printed on the back and... ah well, you get the picture

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 17 2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

i bought the cd about a month ago from amazon. I listen to it when i go to sleep or when i need some quiet
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2008, 11:44 PM   #7
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I've never even looked at my case except to read the titles! I just wanted the content! (Taught myself to play Robinton's whistle tune on the recorder, too. Unfortuantely I then lost part of the mouthpiece for the recorder.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

I prefer Linkin Park, but I've always been a contrary bugger!
Old Mar 18 2008, 11:51 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well now ... with this new way to get the music...those fans that don't care about the cover picture, but only listening to the music can have it their way...
Those fans that want the CD, with the beautiful artwork cover...can still have it their way too...with the side benefit if your a collector of perhaps getting Anne, Tonya, and Mike's signatures on it...which you won't be able to get if you go with only the music!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 19 2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Cavatica
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I prefer Linkin Park, but I've always been a contrary bugger!
...don't you think you're a little old to be listening to the kind of music angry 16-year-olds write poetry to when they're pissed at their parents for not letting them stay out after 10 pm? I had a LP phase, too, but I think I got over it by 19 or 20.

On the subject of the Pern album: you guys know they're releasing a new one this year, right? :>
Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

Wow, and I though we were too old to judge people by the music they listen to...

Anyway, the same artists as the first are making a new Pern album? Do you know when exactly it's going to be released?

I just ran over and visited the Mike Freeman and Tania Opland website and now I'm so excited! Here's the link:
http://members.aol.com/opland2/menolly.htm
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2008, 05:08 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cavatica.... I agree with Allana, and what does age have to do with what kind of music you listen to???
I have found enjoyment in music from what my Grandmother listened to at the turn of the 20th century...all the way to what my Grand-daughter listens to in the early parts of this the 21st century...it all depends on if you find something that you like in it..not if your too old to listen to it.

Thanks for the tip...I also didn't know that Mike and Tanya had made a new album...I sure hope it's as good as the last one.

Old Mar 19 2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavatica View Post
On the subject of the Pern album: you guys know they're releasing a new one this year, right? :>
Uhm, yes but we've been promised this since at least Anne's 80th birthday, so I really hope it will become reality this time.

Old Mar 19 2008, 10:52 PM   #14
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Uhm, yes but we've been promised this since at least Anne's 80th birthday, so I really hope it will become reality this time.

Oh no, it's definitely a done deal. I've been in touch with Mike and Tania and if you all are very, very good, you might -- I emphasize "might" -- be able to get your hands on a copy at Dragon*Con. No promises. But they may be able to send us a few copies.
Old Mar 19 2008, 11:10 PM   #15
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Cavatica.... I agree with Allana, and what does age have to do with what kind of music you listen to???

Because Linkin Park's target demographic is teenagers?

Listen, I enjoy classical, oldies, rock, indie, even a little rap and country now and then. I've got a playlist that includes The Shins, The Mamas and the Papas, Simon and Garfunkel, Gogol Bordello, Shakira, Vertical Horizon, TLC, Death Cab for Cutie, the Decemberists, Ray LaMontagne, the Beatles, Coheed and Cambria, KC and the Sunshine Band, the Bee Gees, They Might be Giants, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. All I listened to for the first 12 or 13 years of my life was 50s and 60s music; turn the radio to an oldies station at any given time and the odds are good I can sing along with the song that's playing. And, hey: my 58-year-old dad enjoys Sheryl Crow, the Beach Boys, Gogol Bordello, Tom Petty, the Eagles, and BNL with more or less equal relish. I'm not by any means damning eclecticism.

I'm just damning shitty music. ;> Emo/goth rock in general tends to find its greatest audience in adolescents who "rebel" by watching The Craft and painting their fingernails black. So, sorry, but most of us over 20 years old can't listen to another adult say "I enjoy Linkin Park/Evanescence/Creed/Avril Lavigne/Seether" and keep a straight face.

/
Old Mar 20 2008, 12:00 AM   #16
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

Quote:

I'm just damning shitty music. ;> Emo/goth rock in general tends to find its greatest audience in adolescents who "rebel" by watching The Craft and painting their fingernails black. So, sorry, but most of us over 20 years old can't listen to another adult say "I enjoy Linkin Park/Evanescence/Creed/Avril Lavigne/Seether" and keep a straight face.
Now I just feel like you're talking down to me. I'm sorry I'm not blessed enough to be one of you "over 20 years old," but I do know a fair amount of people over 20 that enjoy a Linkin Park song every so often, and I don't think they deserve to be ridiculed and told they're acting immature because of a stupid sterotype. I could pick out each one of the artists you listed and cite a sterotype that doesn't fit you, or even lump them all together and say you're someone who rejects everything you associate with teenage years to be beneath you.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2008, 11:24 AM   #17
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana View Post
Now I just feel like you're talking down to me. I'm sorry I'm not blessed enough to be one of you "over 20 years old," but I do know a fair amount of people over 20 that enjoy a Linkin Park song every so often, and I don't think they deserve to be ridiculed and told they're acting immature because of a stupid sterotype. I could pick out each one of the artists you listed and cite a sterotype that doesn't fit you, or even lump them all together and say you're someone who rejects everything you associate with teenage years to be beneath you.
See? Teenage dramadramadrama = defense of Linkin Park.

I rest my case.
Old Mar 20 2008, 12:17 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

OT rests here!

Or I'll be moving the posts to its own thread.

Old Mar 21 2008, 12:41 AM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, maybe this time Mike and Tanya will meet there release date...it would be great to see them publish another album...with or without the lovely cover!!

Old Mar 21 2008, 07:53 AM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

I agree with you there, Lady Maelin, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Old Mar 24 2008, 12:12 PM   #21
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I did like the Pern album, but I'd love to see them do another non-Pern one. The one I currently own is wonderful, and I like it better than the Pern album.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2008, 03:58 PM   #22
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Wow, I leave for a few days and this thread really goes wild. . .

Let's hear it for a diversity of music! Personally, the answer to the question, "What kind of music is your favorite?" has always been really tough. I like all kinds!

That's such good news that Mike and Tanya are possibly coming outy with another album. The Pern album is the first one I have of theirs, and I've been really enjoying it. So far my favorite songs on it are "Nonsuch" and "Fighting Thread" Wheel and turn or bleed and burn. . . . As I listen I can picture everyone singing or playing.

So the album art cover is (sort of) on the Masterharper of Pern book, so that's why it looked so familiar. I have the book on my shelf; I just had not gotten around to reading it yet! What with grad school and all, I have had to slow down on the Pern stuff unfortunately- no, I'm not getting my degree in Pern studies!! However, the Pernese culture is a marvalous example of a sustainable community; maybe I can work it in!
Old Mar 26 2008, 09:20 PM   #23
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Sampled a few tracks on iTunes and can't say as they grabbed me much. All very similar and very light. I have a little difficulty seeing them as grabbing and holding the listeners' attention the way they're written about in the books. I think somebody in the Harper Hall needs to rediscover the kettle drum...
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2008, 09:40 PM   #24
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

While I did enjoy them initially, I think I agree. That's why I like their other album better. Both good, non-Pern is more to my taste.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2008, 11:05 PM   #25
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
While I did enjoy them initially, I think I agree. That's why I like their other album better. Both good, non-Pern is more to my taste.
While I've nothing against folk music, my tastes run to the more energetic end thereof: reels, working songs, stuff with a beat you can dance to or throw bales to, and choral parts that any tuneless bunch of louts can sing. Irish Pub fare. Particularly that one about the daughter that can't find a boy to marry in town because they're all sons of her father...but I digress.

I also like those that have multiple interleaved stringed instruments, such as mandolins and guitars. More than a few rock and metal songs I like owe more than a little to folk, like Dream of the Archer, Ankomst and others.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25 2008, 02:11 AM   #26
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I actually noticed this a while ago, but finally found time to post it! Nearly all the songs on the MoP album have a very Irish sound (which is completely to be expected!), except for one; "Robinton's Dream" That sounds like it has a distinctly Native American influence, like something from the artist Carlos Nakai. It's a lovely song, very pretty and peaceful, and like most Native American music, evokes images of a pristine natural environment.

Great song. . . I was just wondering about it; why is it different? I know the original colonists on Pern represented many different nationalities, but wasn't sure if any of them were Native American. Also, I know that flute music is popular throughout the world! I was just wondering how and why a very "Native-sounding" song (to me) came to be included on an album where most of the musical influences seem to be Irish. Anyone know- Hans?
Old Apr 25 2008, 04:52 AM   #27
Hans
Master Archivist

No, can't help you there. I sugest you mail Tania and Mike, there's a contact us link on their homepage at www.opland-freeman.com
If they answer you, do please post back here?

Old Apr 25 2008, 11:48 PM   #28
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Now I wish I had an IPOD or whatever I need to listen to it.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2008, 06:54 PM   #29
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
No, can't help you there. I sugest you mail Tania and Mike, there's a contact us link on their homepage at www.opland-freeman.com
If they answer you, do please post back here?

Hi Hans and thank you all for your answers! I did do as you seggusted and emailed Tania. When and if I get an answer, I'll be happy to share it!

Also, just for awareness. . . The link that you posted, Hans, somehow doesn't seem to work, at least not on my computer. I did a Google search- and found them at members.aol.com/opland
Old Apr 29 2008, 08:20 AM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

I know weyrlady, the .com domain name points to the AOL one and I don't know why the .com one doesn't work at the moment. Luckily you found the AOL pages.

Old Apr 29 2008, 09:58 PM   #31
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

They did find something to the kettle drum. Find one nice large tree, hollow it out, put a skin on it and viola, one kettle drum. But yes, the metal crafts could potentially make one up, simply look up on the computer system, get the details and same thing as for the tree, one kettle drum.

Actually in real life, I've seen kettle drums made of recycled 44 gallon drums so it can be done using what ever is at hand.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 04:14 PM   #32
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Hi all! I just wanted to share the answer I 4recieved from Tania Opland regarding the Masterharper of Pern album. On Hans' suggestion I emailed to ask her about a certain song, and I am really pleased and impressed with all the detail she gave in her answer. It includes both what I wrote as well as what she replied.

Hi Tania!
I recently discovered your Masterharper of Pern album through iTunes, and have been really enjoying it, being a fan of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series for a while now. In addition to being great music, the songs serve as a wonderful conversation starter- people ask, "Nice music. . . What's this?"which serves as a great way to talk about awesome literature.

Hi Annemari. We're delighted that you're enjoying it, and that you're introducing others to it as well.

Anyhow, after listening to the album, I thought of a question, posted it on Anne McCaffrey Meeting of Minds web forum, and several members suggested that I contact you directly! Nearly all the songs on the MoP album have a very Irish sound (which is completely to be expected!), except for one; "Robinton's Dream" That sounds like it has a distinctly Native American influence, like something from the artist Carlos Nakai. It's a lovely song, very pretty and peaceful, and like most Native American music, evokes images of a pristine natural environment.

Great song. . . I was just wondering about it; why is it different? I know the original colonists on Pern represented many different nationalities, but wasn't sure if any of them were Native American. Also, I know that flute music is popular throughout the world! I was just wondering how and why a very "Native-sounding" song (to me) came to be included on an album where most of the musical influences seem to be Irish.

Yes, there were Native Americans among the settlers in the Pern stories. I can't remember which titles to refer you back to, but I recall coming across some surnames in at least one of the prequels, the "Chronicles of Pern," that were clearly intended to make that connection.

Here's the part that confuses us... we've come across a couple of other references to the CD being predominantly Irish, and we don't know why. From the first track, played on a German baroque instrument with an initial riff inspired by a fragment of a Scottish bagpipe tune which modulates into melodic modes borrowed from Moorish (Spanish/middle eastern) scales, it moves into the Duty Song, which reflects the old Lutheran hymns I was raised on. And half the singers in the ensemble have strong Yorkshire accents. Some of Mike's guitar compositions do have an Irish cadence to them, though he's also English (well, Russian, Ukrainian and Hungarian, but born and raised in Lancashire). He wrote the first of them (Annie McCaffrey's Jig aka The Dragonlady) at Dragonhold on his first visit to Ireland.

Of the songs, the only one that sounds Irish to me is Lessa's Ride, with its repeated chorus and hexatonic scale. My idea for the melody for Golden Egg of Faranth was sparked by a 13th century plainsong. The Question Song tune was written to just be different from anything I knew, but in retrospect bears some resemblance in melodic and chordal structure to some of the eastern European music I've come across. The tunes Plains of Telgar and Star Stone are both kind of English country dance-ish, borrowing their general feel from a book of lute arrangements that I used to try to play on guitar. (They probably would have been easier on lute.) And of course Nonsuch is an English country dance tune, while the percussion throughout the album is mostly African and middle eastern with brief orchestral and rock-based embellishments. The other instruments are Spanish, Persian, German, Italian... plus, of course, the Kiowa flutes, Salish drum and Peruvian rainstick in Robinton's Dream.

So in answer to your question, we were throwing in every cross-cultural reference that struck our fancy. Of course most Irish and every other flavor of folk bands these days do that, too, but usually with more of a rock / world-beat angle, so they miss out on things like meditational flute music.

That's probably a more involved answer than you were looking for, but I hope it satisfies.

Cheers,
Tania
________
Old May 22 2008, 05:40 PM   #33
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
That's probably a more involved answer than you were looking for, but I hope it satisfies.

Cheers,
Tania

But we love it, Tania, we love it!

Thanks for posting the whole text, Weyrlady

Old May 23 2008, 04:25 PM   #34
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

This was a lovely read, you ask very nicely put questions. Its wonderful to know about some of the music's back ground, and what they think of them as well. Just goes to prove that when you take the time, you can really reap the benifits.

Old Jun 20 2008, 05:33 PM   #35
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Re: Masterharper of Pern album

Thank for icon idea
I know what you mean, just think of other good singer and or songwriter or both. Anne Murry, Kathy Mattea, and Peter, Paul, Mary, few more I can think of but don't what to go overboard. Kathy Mattea was here in Wausau 2007, doing her X-Mas show, A few of her songs made me cry and the one of her songs has a story behind remind me of my mom and a good friend and metal-crafter, one of her player died of brain tumor duing this run, my mom die from compcation from her tumor, my friend has an non removeable one he died from it. I told her after the show, about my mom, friend, and gave her a big hug. For by that time I could not talk so good. I told her Have a safe trip to the Twin Cities, and back home. That night the roads where going to be bad for driving.
Also for just walking.

I think my work of entite "Pain" would be a good idea for a harper song and a song here too. Myself I am just a writer as a soon as find my hard copy of it I well try to post it here. Sory abut this but I miss them all with my own birthday comming up very soon.

Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jun 22 2008 at 08:44 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2008, 05:42 PM   #36
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

Quote:
...don't you think you're a little old to be listening to the kind of music angry 16-year-olds write poetry
No, but I'm old enough to listen to whatever the hell I feel like........ok?
Old Jun 21 2008, 06:33 AM   #37
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah... another youngster who thinks that they can decide for people older than themselves while not accepting advice from the same people... the world never chanegs eh?

Remembers me of: What? You're still having wild unadultered sex? At YOUR age?

Old Jun 21 2008, 10:41 AM   #38
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

Hans your comment reminds me of a co-worker who was an only child...She refused to admit her parents had sex...She acknowledged her existence by claiming anyone was entitled to slip up once....ROFL
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote