A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Apr 22 2008, 02:53 PM   #1
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Hatching Drabbles

I'll post the in chunks but this one goes first!

1# The Clutch

Anastrith nudged the last of the eggs into position and settled down.
And that’s the last, Jesra, she said.
“It never gets any easier, does it?” her rider said.
For either of us? Maybe not. Still, it has its rewards. O’per will be pleased!
“As will Kolpith.”
Of course. Ustith and Swetith did not do so well.
“Nor did they clutch a queen.”
True. Ustith will be most annoyed.
“As will Terina and G’pril. We’ll show them that we’re not past it yet!”
True, Anastrith closed her eyes. He’s out on Search already.
“O’per never changes!”
Not that you mind! Goodnight!

Last edited by edith; May 14 2008 at 05:03 AM.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22 2008, 02:55 PM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Default Re: Hatching Drabbles

#2 Capdiran

My last chance. That’s what they told me. I’ve stood for every impression at the Weyr since I could first look over an egg, but every time I’ve watched as the dragons push past me to start new lives with beatifically smiling partners. H’lid tells me that this is likely to be Anastrith’s last clutch too and I’d really like to Impress one of her eggs. I’d like my Granddam to be proud of me. Every time she and Anastrith comfort me, feel sorry for me. I’d like them to feel proud of me just this once, this last time.

#3 Rudellin

I’m going to stand! I’m going to stand! H’lid told me today. I mean, I always knew I was going to, just not this soon. Juleene is sewing my candidate’s robe. She says that I’ll impress, both her sons did and all her other fosterlings and she says that the riders are going on Search today.
I wonder who they’ll find? Some of the girls are far too prissy, especially the ones that think they’re fit for a queen but Juleene says it’s because they’re nervous and…
There they go! All the Search dragons! I do love a Search!

#4 Kistenna

The hold proper was always a good place to start T’plon thought. Lord Kiston and Lady Latenna were always gracious hosts and, even post-thread, there were still enough willing youngsters here to fill the Weyr twice over.
He fidgeted in his seat and a pretty girl, Kiston’s daughter, hurried over with wine.
“Can I serve you Bronzerider?”
T’plon nodded.
That girl, Jittith said suddenly. She’s good. She’d Impress.
T’plon looked at the girl closely and smiled. Searching out a potential goldrider this early was always good.
“Excuse me My Lord, Lady Latenna, I think I have something of importance to ask of you.”

#5 Tanbra

I was scrubbing dishes when the dragons came. There were two of them, a blue and a green, the cook said. I would have liked to see the festivities, but kitchen drudges at Redwherry Hold knew their place, even if the little voice in my head told me that most of what we were told was wherry fluff.
I had nearly finished my dishes when the riders came to the door. They were dressed beautifully and the woman had hair like gold. They thanked us. No one ever thanked us here. Then the man turned to me. “We come in Search,” he said.

#6 Ettled

Those sharding riders! They reject my son and choose a drudge and a farmer’s son who can’t speak without garbling his words. What will Pern think of Redwherry Hold with those two representing us? At least that girl is clean and demure, that addle-brained Ettled is covered in mud and grinning like stunned runnerbeast!
The rudeness too! My Haloidon is twice the man that that boy will ever be. He leads all the boys in their games, just as a future Holder should. Still a dragonrider would have been something to boast about. What dragon would go near that Ettled?

Last edited by edith; May 14 2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old May 13 2008, 03:34 PM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#7 Pastrim

Aslid and I always used to play dragonriders when were younger. He was the Weyrleader and I was his loyal Wingsecond. Together, riding our imaginary dragons, we would rid Pern of Thread, fight the baddies and save whichever child we felt needed saving. He always rode a Bronze, Wondereth, he called him. Wondereth was bigger than Mnementh and cleverer than Ruth. I either rode a Bronze or a Brown, Astarlith I called him and he was big and clever too.
However Aslid has been dead nearly a turn now and so, when the dragons come, I go to the Weyr alone.

#8 Talithand

Dalan drained his glass and forced himself to look at the rider opposite him. “So you’ve come for Talithand then?”
D’lib nodded. “Jirith was most insistant.”
“He would be…” Dalan broke off and D’lib topped up the glass.
“I’ll look after him, don’t worry.”
“I’ll always worry. I don’t want my son to become half a person… like me… Go, please!” he said hysterically. “Take him, just, let him die before he ends up like me!”
D’lib stood up. “Thank you,” he said.
“Go!”
As D’lib left his old friend he shuddered. To be dragonless…

#9 Eloun and Nadel

“The girl’s a joke!” G’pril snarled at his wingsecond.
“Ristith thinks she’s good enough,” J’lin replied.
“But her hands, they’re enormous and her hair…”
“Is a mess, but she’s got the potential.”
“Hah! I’ll bet you two marks she’s left standing!”
J’lin smiled. “Taken. Now, if you’ll excuse me.”
J’lin walked over to the girl. True, she wasn’t classic rider material, but Ristith was so sure and he was on Search. G’pril was just after a pretty enough girl to bed. Maybe Terina was too, J’lin had heard enough about that pair and their “parties” to be glad that Kittai was a faithful mate.
Kittai might take the girl in hand, tidy her up a little. He’d ask her when he saw her.
She comes!
J’lin lookd around and saw the greenrider approach with a young man.
“J’lin, this is Nadel. Oppith searched him!” she beamed broadly.
“It’s always good when you Search yourself! Greetings Nadel, I’m J’lin, Bronze Ristith’s rider. Kittai, I’ve Searched one too.” J’lin pushed the girl forward. “Kittai, meet Eloun.”
Kittai smiled at the girl. “Do you know Nadel?”
Eloun nodded. “We’re friends. I’m glad Nadel’s coming too. I always said he’d go far!”
“Well, so are you! Come on!”

10# Cardaye

The girl was not ideal, U’lud admitted to himself, but there was a bit of pride in finding the most candidates and so far T’plon’s wing was far ahead of his. This Cardaye was most definitely pretty too and was hinting all sorts of things that she would do for him if he let her come with him. It had been a few months since his previous partner left him and although one-nighters were all well and good, he liked a longer relationship now and again. Even if she did not impress she’d be useful to him. Yes, she’d do!

11# Dayanal, Traland and Gellun

“Won’t you take my son?”
H’rim looks at the Holder in surprise. “Your son?”
“To the Weyr,” she said. “I’m sure he’d Impress.”
He shook his head. “But the dragons say that he is deaf to them.”
“Maybe they weren’t listening hard enough. I’m certain he could.” She pulled something out of her long sleeve and pressed the sack of marks into his hand.
H’rim nodded slowly. He had no craft of his own and the marks would help. “Well My Lady, I’d better take the three of them back to the Weyr.”
“You do that then. Thank you.”
“Thank you My Lady.”

Last edited by edith; Oct 28 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old Jun 17 2008, 10:19 AM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#12 Estra

I don’t want to go! The weyr is far away and I’ll miss my family and… And I’ve heard about dragonriders. That they’re inhuman, that they indulge and laze and lust, and that no holder would take back a woman who stayed at the Weyr; if they are not ruined they become like the men, strange and lustful; and uncouth.
Yet, this woman, Kittai seems kind and, well normal, she tells me not to be afraid, that riding a dragon is wonderful but I don’t want to go!

Though, if I really don’t want to go, why am I going?

#13 Ferwena

Until this morning I’d never seen a dragon before, except for at a distance but now I’m flying, clinging to the back of the rider in front of me. The dragon’s blue hide gleams in the sun and the rider turns round to speak to me.
“We’re going Between,” he says. “Ready?”
I nod. He smells of musk and leather and his jacket creaks as he moves.
“Now…”
Then there is nothing. No sight, no smell, no sounds. I cannot feel the jacket; I cannot see the blue hide, I…
Then we’re hovering above the Weyr. My new home.

#14 Restin and Galinin

“I told you that I’d be Searched! Of course, I had to wait until they needed to Search but there’ll be a Bronze waiting for me. You wait!”
Galinin nodded. He knew, even if Restin apparently chose not to, that Impression was not guaranteed.
Restin continued his soliloquy and Galinan answered absentmindedly. Trust Restin to ignore the fact that he’d been Searched too. Galinan pcked up his carrysack and noticed the Rider waving at them. Well, if Restin didn’t shut up now, he’d be left behind and that Bronze would have no one to Impress to. Hah! Oh well…
“Restin!”

#15 Torpolid

I hate sitting still and Wingleader T’plon knows it. I bet that is why he is taking so long talking to the candidates his wing has brought to the Weyr. I’m sure that he knows what I did and that this is a sort of punishment.
He’s got quite a few in there. Three girls. I wonder if they are Queen or Green candidates. T’plon won’t tell me. There are half a dozen lads too.
T’plon motions for me to stand up. “This is my son Torpolid, another candidate. He’ll show you around.”
I stand up. “Good morning,” I say, trying not to squeak. “If you’ll just follow me.”

#16 Allysda

So, G’pril got his girl. She’s definitely to both of their tastes, slim, athletic looking and gorgeous. Terina has come out to greet her; she’s pouring her wine, talking to her. I can just about catch the wheedling tone and it sickens me.
The girl looks terrified and I decide that I ought to say something. I stand up but Terina gives me that look and I subside, I’m only a Bluerider. They go off towards Terina’s quarters and I go to find J’lin and Kittai, to warn them that they might have to help her. Terina laughs and I hurry, feeling guilty again.
Old Jun 23 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

# 17 Candali

It’s odd being the youngest in a large family of Riders. My sire rides a brown, my mother rode a green while four of my siblings are riders themselves now. Dalani, the oldest of us, is one of the weyrlingmaster’s assistants. She’s just been here to tell me that she wants me to keep an eye on the new girls, tell them about life here and what it’s like to Stand, after all, I have been there twice before. Well, I don’t mind guide duty really, but I do hope that this is the last time I do it. After all, don’t they say that it’s third time lucky?

#18 Adril, Pedrun and Fedlid

Fedlid, Pedrun and I have found the perfect place to sit. There’s an old, unused weyr up here. Inside there are still the remains of the last occupants things. An old jacket hangs from the back of a dusty chair and fragile shirts are hanging in the press. Pedrun asked R’lom, who was a weyrling at the end of the last pass, who lived there once when he was helping him to the dining hall. Apparently he was K’lim and he died in an accident a month after the pass ended.
I wonder if we’ll live as long as R’lom and Deplith, sharing lives with our dragons for a hundred turns, or will we die like K’lim, in an accident in our prime?
Pedrun keeps pointing out that we actually have to Impress first, but I can’t help thinking about how wonderful it would be to be paired off for life, never being alone again, even to death. Pedrun tells me not to be silly, but Fedlid, whose mother died alone agrees.
I can’t help wondering about K’lim though. Did he fall like Fedlid’s dam, or did he fail to come out of between or did he…
I don’t feel so keen on hiding in his weyr now.

#19 Olidon

Watching dragons seems to take up all my free time now that the hatching approaches. Pedrun thinks that I’m silly, that I’m a little bit, well, odd when I don’t want to join in their dreaming. Still, I’m glad that he doesn’t know what I’m dreaming of as I watch them by the lake below.
I like watching dragons. Golds and Bronzes gleaming in the sunshine, Browns and Blues trying to be dignified and the Greens…
Flirting, playing, talking or just sunbathing. I particularly like the Greens. Wouldn’t they find it odd if the dragon that I long for is not a stately bronze, but a playful Green?
Hah! Pedrun would find me even odder if he knew that the dragon of my dreams is a green!

#20 Zastracan

I know straight away what I have done. I try to pick myself up but I fall down again. Now, this will never do. If it’s broken, there go my chances once again. If it’s just a sprain, well, then I’m in with a slim chance.
Dalani arrives. She sends for a Healer. She doesn’t believe that I’m fine as she cuts away my boot.
The Healer seems to take forever. Then when he comes he only takes one look. “He’ll be alright,” he says as he smears my ankle with numbweed.
I feel my terror fading with the pain. This time I will have my chance.

#21 Debredin

“Why isn’t the boy standing?” U’lud demanded.
“Which boy?” G’pril asked.
“Debredin.”
“Debredin! You know as well as I do what his father was like! He was raving by the finish.”
“He was driven to it by the end.”
“He was a murderer!”
“Debrilli and Gestala brought him up and Debredin takes after his mother. I’ve never seen anyone gentler with my Hasteth.”
“Hah! Do you want to see the get of Dindral on a dragon? Blood will tell you know!”
“It doesn’t always,” Old R’lom said pointedly.
G’pril flushed. “Well, then let him stand, but on your own heads be it!”
Old Jun 24 2008, 10:19 AM   #6
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#22 Merninin

“Our son, a candidate,” Mernan said proudly. The Weyrharper had never had the chance to Impress himself, but he had followed his spouse to the weyrwhen she had been Searched.
Inna gave his hand a squeeze and Green Nith poked him gently.
“Don’t count the hatchlings before they hatch dear,” she said softly.
Master Waltril laughed. “I believe I said that to you too Inna, far too many years ago.” The old Masterharper chuckled. “It is good to see you again and to receive an invitation to the Hatching. Come inside my children, there is some Good Benden red just waiting to toast the occasion.”

#23 Samadan

“You’re getting tall,” Kara remarked as she helped me down from Green Lith.
“It’s been two years,” I replied. “I was sixteen last visit…”
“And you were just an apprentice. S’min was most impressed to hear that his son had walked the tables. He’d’ve gone to collect you himself if it hadn’t been for his joint ail, both he and Srath have been talking about their son becoming one of the Flying Healers all week.”
“That’s S’min! Always looking ahead! I haven’t impressed yet and I’d still have to impress you, Master Kara.”
“Hah! ” Kara snorted. “As soon as your dragon can fly, you’re mine!”

#24 Estander

“I hate preparing tubers,” Estander moaned as he dumped abasket into the sink.
Asha cackled. “You won’t say that in a few days time eh, not if you impress. Isn’t that so J’non?”
The Brownrider nodded and chuckled as he dumped his brace of fish on the table.
“Definitely!” he said. “Tell you what,” he addedd. “I’ll clean the tubers if you’ll gut the fish.”
Estander pulled a face and J’non laughed.
“I thought so,” he said as he found a knife. “It’s strange how appealing a sink full of muddy tubers looks when there are fish to gut!”

#25 Badrom

Badrom winced and sat up. He cowered as a shadow fell on him.
“Are you alright lad?” It was J’non. Badrom gave a sigh of relief.
“I’ll be fine,” he said.
J’non dropped down next to him. “Not with that bruise,” he said. “Yamarun again?”
Badrom nodded.
“We always wondered why that boy never impressed. He seemed to be a perfect candidate, intelligent, alert, a leader. Then, after his last attempt, we found out. We can’t just throw him out, but this bullying of candidates has to stop. Come on lad, this time we’ve got to speak to O’per.”

#26 Medadran

Medadran shaved off a minute sliver of wood and put the carving down. Medassi reached for it but Medadran shook his head.
“It’s not ready yet.” He picked up the wooden firelizard and shaved a little off the wing.
Flutter appeared and perched on his shoulder.
Medadran held out his hand and compared the Green with her wooden double.
Flutter gave a chirp, before returning to his shoulder, projecting hungry thoughts.
Medadran’s stomach gave a sympathetic grumble. “Is it that late?” he said, putting his things away. “Come on, dinner time!” He grabbed Medassi’s hand. “We’re going to be late!”
Old Jun 29 2008, 03:53 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#27 Cardaye

Cardaye stirred slightly and U’lud kissed her shoulder.
She turned and smiled and he kissed her lips.
“Sleep well?”
“Very well, you?”
“What do you think?”
She leant towards him. “Shall we…”
U’lud froze. “The eggs,” he said.
“They’re hatching?”
“Yes. We’ve got to hurry.” He kissed her again. “Remember what I said?”
“Of course!”
U’lud threw the robe over her head.
“We can carry on later,” she suggested.
“Not if you Impress...”
“And how likely is that?” She laughed. “Don’t worry, I don’t mind. Just being here is better than anything else. Just being here with you… well, just you wait!

#28 Zastracan and Badrom

“All well…” L’sol said as he examined Zastracan’s ankle. Then he stopped suddenly. “Shards! The eggs are hatching! Go and find Badrom and I’ll find your robes. Hurry!”
Badrom was sitting on his bed, staring at the wall until Zastracan burst into the room. “What’s up?”
“Hurry up, the Hatching’s about to start!”
“Now?”
“Now!” Zastracan pulled Badrom to his feet. “Come on!”
“Aren’t you scared?”
“Scared? Well, I’m nervous, but aren’t we all?”
“But what if I’m not acceptable, what if I’m like Yamarun?”
“You? Like that bully? Nah! Come on, you’ll do fine, but we’ll miss the hatching if we don’t hurry!”

#29 Ettled

“You’ve got a knack lad,” T’til said as Ettled scrubbed at Yastuth’s hide. The blue wriggled as he brushed at a rough patch. “Most craftbred don’t know one brush from another.
“I’m farmbred,” Ettled admitted. “I helped with the animals and the watchwher. Lady Oidonna said that I’m too stupid to be scared, but I was safe to them. I knew when to jump too. Da said that most of my family do.”
“Well Yastuth says that you know where he itches. All I can say is that you’ve been a great help.” T’til tapped the stump of his arm. “I didn’t know when to jump!”

#30 Kistenna and Tanbra

“You want to cut along the grain, not across it,” Tanbrasaid.
Kistenna smiled. “Thank you, I’ve never done this before. You’re very good- neat.”
“Practice! I’ve butchered enough before. At least we aren’t expected to skin and gut ‘em here.”
“Surely drudges do that!”
“And whatcha think I was before I came here?”
“You? You don’t sound like one, I mean…”
“It’s not just lackwits that become drudges. Some of us have nowhere else to go, nobody to care for us.”
“I didn’t know.”
“Well, I’ve escaped now.” Tanbra noticed Kistenna’s face. “Oh don’t look so upset. Your mother never hurt no one like My Lady did. Besides, only drudging we do here is for the dragons and we all do that, even the Weyrleader!”
“I don’t think it’s exactly drudging…”
“No, dragons say thank you!” Tanbra threw the last of the chunks into a bowl. “Maybe it’ll be our dragons tonight.”
“Yes.” Kistenna fetched sweetsand and towelling. “We’d better clean up now, otherwise we’ll miss it.”
Tanbra smiled. “Too right!” She sloshed water over her arms. Suddenly she stopped. “Can you hear the humming?”
Kistenna nodded. “It’s time!”
“Run!” The two girls ran down the passageway together.

#31 Talithand

My father is arriving soon. As much as it hurts him to be here, he will be here for me today. Father has lost so much in his life, his dragon, his spouse and my sister, I am determined that he will not lose me. So why am I here, dressed in white, waiting with the others? And if I Impress, how shall I face him? Is it fair? It isn’t fair! My father should be here as a rider, not as a visitor. If the time came though, could I be as brave as he was? Could I live for him?
Old Oct 26 2008, 06:37 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#32 Pastrim

“Nervous?” Pastrim looked up from his pacing to see the grey-haired woman standing in the doorway.
“M-Ma’am!”
“No need to be formal Pastrim. Just call me Jesra.”
“Yes M-Jesra.”
“Nervous? I was when I Impressed Anastrith. Now we both worry.”
“About me? Us? The clutch?”
“Every time. C’rilm, my first, used to say that I’d wear a hole in the floor.”
“Mother says that too.”
“You have a wise mother.” Jesra sighed. “Twenty turns and I miss him still!”
“I thought that a turn was bad enough.”
“It gets easier with practice. As does worrying! Mind if I join you?”
Pastrim laughed and they began pacing in step.

#33 Eloun and Ferwena

“You’ve got pretty hair,” Ferwenna said as she brushed it.
Eloun turned slightly. “What?”
“Stay still! It’ll get messed up again.” She brandished the brush. “Stay still!”
Eloun had scrambled to her feet. “No time!” She grabbed their robes and began pulling off her gown.
“The eggs!” Ferwena gasped.
“Don’t just stand there!” Eloun said as she pulled on her candidate’s robe.
“Sorry,” Ferwena said, fumbling with her tunic fastenings.
Eloun sighed. “Let me help.”
Eventually the two girls reached their peers.
“We’re just in time,” Ferwena gasped.
“Good!” Eloun said. “I wouldn’t’ve wanted to wait.”
“Good luck.”
“Good luck!”

#34 Candali

Do I believe in luck? I suppose I do! Ever since the first egg was laid I haven’t worn green, stepped on a crack or walked the wrong way round the lower cavern. I’ve carried a snake’s foot, worn my lucky Firelizard brooch and greeted the queen every time I’ve walked past the grounds.
I’ve also taken to chanting “third time lucky” under my breath. I’m doing it now as I wait for the eggs to hatch.
Do I think that it will work?
Of course not! Luck has nothing to do with it. The dragons will decide!

#35 Debredin

“The boy is bad luck!”
I hear it every day. No one looks me in the eye.
They are not scared of my mother and she knew him! I never knew my father. I saw him once that I can remember, just before he died. Is my blood really poisoned? Perhaps I am poisonous. Perhaps I should go before I kill a dragonet.
“Ready lad?” I look up and see U’lud and Jesra and Pastrim and Ettled and others.
“We know that you are not your father,” Jesra says, holding out a robe. “You just need to show them!”
I take the robe.

#36 Estander, Olidon, Pedrun, Restin and Traland

Pedrun shook the bag. “We all close our eyes and draw out a bead.”
“Then what?” Restin interrupted.
“Then we open up our hands all together and show our beads. That’ll tell us what dragon we’ll get!”
He shook the bag again and held it out to Traland, who snatched one from the surface.
“Don’t peek,” he warned as Restin rummaged through the beads.
Estander also rummaged through the bag. He held his bead tightly, eyes closed.
Olidon picked two and rubbed them together before dropping one. He then held the bag for Pedrun, who plucked one out of the bag without a thought.
Olidon put the bag down and the boys stood in a ring, holding their clenched fists out.
“Ready… Now!”
Two green beads, a bronze, a blue and a black were held out.
“What does black mean?” Traland asked, looking at the bead in his hand.
“You don’t impress,” Estander said. “Don’t worry, it’s only a game.” He held his bronze bead rather tightly though. “Keep the bead,” he said as Traland went to put it back. “Wear it round your neck. Its bad luck to put it back!”
Old Oct 26 2008, 10:12 AM   #9
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#37 Allysda

I will impress! I will! Terina said that she is certain and she’s going to be the next Weyrwoman when that silly old fool steps down.
Apparently, so Terina says, this flight was really a fluke and that Jesra should have stepped down. I don’t see why someone should wait until their dragon is all dried up and desiccated before they have to step down. I mean, well, the Weyr is really a young man’s job and Jesra and O’per are so old!
When I’m weyrwoman, I’ll step down before I’m forty, then I’ll have time to have fun!

#38 Dayanal and Merninin

“You have it so lucky,” Dayanal said.
“I what?”
“Lucky. I mean, well, you’ve known dragons all your life.”
“I’ve known Nith all my life. Other dragons are not quite so chatty.”
“You know what I mean. I mean, I’d hardly ever seen a dragon before they came here and suddenly I have to help with cleaning and healing and helping to feed old Kalapth.”
“I suppose that you’re right. Still, anything could happen in a moment. I suppose that we’ll both know a lot more about dragons then, even if we don’t impress! Ooh! Come on! We’re going!”

#39 Capdiran

Hear the roar. Obey the order. Stop work. Put down tools. Run to the barracks.
Feel sick. Feel my stomach twist and turn, just like a fair of firelizards at play.
Hear the babble of voices. Hear the dragons roar and listen to the orders.
Strip off my tunic, kick off my pants and pull the scratchy white robe over my head.
Join my fellows. Answer questions politely. Walk to the entrance…
I’ve done this too many times before and now, whatever happens, I’ll do it for the last time.

#40 Nadel

So this is what the Weyr is like! I never knew that there could be a place where I could be accepted for who I am. Back in the hold I was singled out as different, strange, dangerous!
Eloun once said that I’d find somewhere where I could be safe but I didn’t understand. Neither of us did. Neither of us were ever truly safe back home, our hold didn’t like us to be different.
I suppose that that is why I feel so safe here waiting for my life to change. It’s good to be accepted, it’s nice to be safe!

#41 Medadran

The wooden model feels smooth as I turn it over and over in my hand. The sand under my feet seems to burn even through my boots.
The crowd have gone silent now. They were noisy enough a moment ago. Then the first egg wobbled and everything stopped. I thought that my heart had stopped too but then it began to echo like a drumbeat in my ears.
I don’t think that I’ve ever been so scared before. Even my wooden talisman can’t stop this sickening fear. I turn it once more but it is no good. I must wait in fear.
Old Oct 28 2008, 02:56 AM   #10
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#42 Adril

Too many dragons, too many people, too many sharding questions! I feel trapped as I wait with the others. Some of them seem to be buzzing with excitement, others are trembling with fear. I hope that I’m not shaking, it’s not the thing to do.
A dragonrider is strong and brave, he is cool and calm and he is an ideal that I can never be.
Is anyone that good? P’prin can barely lift a sack of grain, yet Ioloth chose him and Yelia is so nervous that she struggles to say hello, yet she rides a green. Perhaps there is a dragon for me, I’ll find out soon.

#43 Torpolid

I wonder if Dad ever felt like this? I can’t imagine him being anything other than brave and strong even when he broke his leg.
He said that he was nervous but I don’t know if I believe him. He found a bronze. You can’t imagine a bronze rider as nervous even if they are in front of you.
I wonder if I’ll find a bronze. That would be good, though I’d love a brown or even a blue. I don’t think I’d get a green, but you never know. I just hope that I’m not rejected…
Oh well… It’s time!

#44 Galinan

Fara was here! He was so glad that she’d made it! She’d been so proud of him when he’d been Searched. He just hoped that he wouldn’t let her down. She’d been so good to him all these years, ever since she’d fostered him. He didn’t know much about his parents, he’d been unwanted by them, but he didn’t mind, Fara had wanted him. He still felt a little guilty about the possibility of abandoning her for a dragon.
He caught her eye up there in the stands and she gave a cheery wave. If she was happy, he’d be happy! Whatever happened!

#45 Rudellin

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! This sand is hot! The eggs are so hard now and some are starting to tremble. I think that one might hold a bronze, it’s so big, and that small one there might hold a green and…
Ooh! Ooh! That one’s cracking! The egg with the splotches like a face that Pedrun liked is beginning to crack. It’s got a really long crack in it now and that one with the bluey swirls is really shaking too!
I’m so, so, so excited! Look! The gold egg is wobbling now…
Come on eggs I can’t wait much longer!

#46 Gellun

Won’t the kid stand still! I’m standing next to someone who is wobbling as much as the eggs and they are really, really, really annoying me now! Can’t they see that this is serious? Our whole lives are dictated by whatever happens next. It is a time to be serious, to reflect, to stop jumping up and down before you get strangled!
It’s bad enough having to wait without the added irritation.
I suppose he’s weyrbred and some excuses must be made for his lack of manners, but really! What dragon is going to want a flitter-brain like that?

#47 Fedlid

I wonder. I wonder what I’ll impress. I wonder if I’ll impress. I wonder what my mother would have felt about me being here. I wonder…
The eggs are really wobbling now. I thought I saw a flash of brown then, or it could have been bronze. The sound of eggs cracking is so loud, especially now the crowd has gone silent.
Each crack sounds louder than the last.
I wonder what the dragons are thinking as they struggle out of their protective shells. I wonder if it’s anything like waking up from a wonderful dream. I wonder…

#48 Estra

Waiting is the hardest thing. They’ve set all of the girls around the golden egg, queen candidate or not. They say that a green can always look but that an offended queen is another matter.
An offended queen… The thought chills me to the bone.
The egg in front of me seems so large, it’s frenzied shaking seems so violent. I shiver.
Why am I here? I’m not sure that I want to be here. I just want this to be over. I…
There is an explosion of shards to my left and a creeling dragonet crawls towards the boys.
It’s begun. The waiting is nearly over!
Old Oct 28 2008, 02:58 AM   #11
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#49 Veranth

The little brown burst free before his clutchmates. He shook damp wings and looked around him. He could feel his mother’s reassurance as he looked at the ring of alien faces.
One of them is yours, she said softly.
Mine? Mine! He looked at all the faces. They seemed so strange! So distant And he had to choose one of them?
Then he could hear the one he wanted. It was a sad mind, a lonely mind, but a mind that would love him, and mind that he needed as much as the mind needed him.
I’ve found you! he said, falling at the mind’s feet.
Old Oct 28 2008, 02:00 PM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#50 Br’din

The egg bursts and the brown shakes free. He looks around, evaluating us with those rainbow eyes, his young mind strong enough to read all of ours and decide which one, if any, he prefers.
He is so precocious yet so needy I realise, as he stumbles across the sand.
I am so busy pondering this that his words take me by surprise.
I’ve found you!
I look into his eyes and I am his.
I am no longer Debredin the Pariah. We have both left our shells today. We have hatched together, Veranth and Br’din.
Old Oct 30 2008, 05:44 PM   #13
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#51 Estanth

The green flops forward. Her eyes flash red and orange and white as she examines the candidates. There are so many of them! She looks once at the boys before crawling towards the girls. She is so helpless, so tired, so weak! She used so much energy to escape her shell. She stumbles once then falls at the feet of two girls. One repels her, her mind is so closed! She backs off and looks at Allysda and Cardaye. Yes, one of them is wrong, but the other girl is the one!
She falls at her feet.
“It’s you!”
Old Oct 31 2008, 04:26 PM   #14
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#52 Cardaye

U’lud smiled at the memory as the first boy impressed.
I remember too. I love you.
The second dragon, a green had made her way to the girls. Towards Cardaye…
He held his breath!

It’s you!
Cardaye gasped. “Me? But I…
It’s you! Please! Please say that it’s you!
“It’s me then.” Cardaye helped the green to her feet. “Come on, you feel so hungry!”
As Cardaye helped her new friend she looked up and saw U’lud. He was smiling. Ah well… he’d understand. They both knew what it was like.
Now she knew…
I love you! They all thought together.
Old Dec 17 2008, 12:14 PM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#53 Zagranth

The little blue shone wetly as he struggled free from the shell. His red eyes took in all the candidates. As his mind focussed he could see the one he wanted.
He was a distance off. The little blue had used a lot of energy to hatch. He was exhausted but he had to cross the sands. He struggled forward. One boy tried to stand in his way. The blue hissed viciously and the stupid human scarpered.
Now where was he?
The blue flopped forward a few places and raised his now rainbow coloured eyes to his chosen one.
Old Dec 21 2008, 04:50 AM   #16
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#54 G'lin/ Fara

My boy looks so young down there among all the others. My boy… Well, I suppose he is as far as it matters. He means more to me than he does to his own flesh and blood, so I suppose that he is mine.
There’s a little blue out there, heading straight for him and his neighbours. I do hope that Galinan impresses, he’s such a good boy. The blue flops at his feet. It is him!
He looks at the dragon and smiles. My boy is a dragonrider!
I shout to him and applause. My boy has done it!

Last edited by edith; Dec 21 2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old Dec 21 2008, 06:57 AM   #17
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#55 Interlude (Samadam)

“Next time,” Kara said to Samadam as he watched his former comrades down below.
He gave a weak smile. “If I don’t break anything else that is!”
Next time I’ll wrap you in furs and lock you in my weyr until Hatching and then you won’t have a chance to beak anything.”
He nodded. “Look! There are three eggs hatching at once. There’s a green, a blue and a brown!”
Kara nodded. “Yes, the Gold egg is beginning to wobble too! You know, I never tire of watching hatchings!”
Samadan sighed.
“Next time you won’t just be watching! I promise!”
Old Dec 21 2008, 11:21 AM   #18
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Those are good Edith.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21 2008, 05:29 PM   #19
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#56 Sastith

The green burst from her shell and shook off the last of the egg shell. She looked around her and made her way towards the boys nearby. She could sense the one that she wanted. There were three or four boys standing together and one of them was hers!
There were two of her brothers heading towards the boys too. One of them might want her person! She hurried to reach the boys. At least she was closer, although she’d have to hurry, they were stronger than she was. She would get the boy that she wanted though!
Old Dec 29 2008, 06:01 PM   #20
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#57 Adrath

My protective shell feels too small now. I want to stretch, to move my wings, to twitch my tail, to scrabble with my claws, but to do that I have to break free from my warm, protective shell. I shift and it cracks. I have to leave now. I burst free and I can stretch my beautiful brown wings!
But my shell is gone! I am unprotected! I have to be protected! I have to feel safe and to do that I must… I must find my other half! I must impress!
I sense safeness and I move towards it.
Old Jan 17 2009, 03:07 AM   #21
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#58 Lepteth

I can see who I want but my chosen one is confused. He is mine but he doesn’t seem to realise that yet.
He’s not looking at me! I hiss with rage and crawl over to him.
Look at me, I cry. I want you! I might not be the colour you expect but I am yours all the same!
He has to want me! I need to be wanted! Please want me!
He sees me at last! He blinks twice, he doesn’t believe me for a moment, but then he extends a hand to me and he is mine!
Old Jan 17 2009, 04:12 AM   #22
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#59 Ettled (T’led)

There are five of us standing in a huddle, watching three hatchlings struggle towards us, Dayanal, Merninin, Nadel, Olidon and myself. A little green is in the lead, calling loudly as she limps over, with a vivid blue and a dark brown following close behind.
I can hear one of them! The little brown looks up at me and I move unthinkingly towards him.
He feels so scared! I hurry over to him. I need to be with him!
I wrap my arms around the damp brown nose.
“Don’t be scared Adrath,” I say softly. “You’re safe now.”
Old Jan 18 2009, 09:19 AM   #23
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#60 Olidon (L’don)

“You want me?” I exclaim as I reach out nervously to the little blue. For a moment I regret that Lepteth is not the green I had expected and then I am lost in his love and devotion and fear.
Why do you want a green? Why not a blue? Why not me?
“Because…” I can’t think what to say. Not now that I am paired with my wonderful, beautiful blue hided Lepteth! I look at my new friend and smile. “I don’t anymore. Not now that I have you. I think a blue will do just nicely after all!”
Old Jan 24 2009, 05:17 AM   #24
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#61 Nadel (N’del)

I want you! the green demanded as she flopped at Nadel’s feet.
The boy bent down to help her to her still very wobbly feet. He untangled her tail from her left hind claw and stroked her on her smooth, warm neck.
“I noticed,” he said softly.
She looked up at him and he could feel all her love and friendship. The safeness that he had felt before became more concrete.
“I love you,” he said, still stroking her neck.
She nudged at him. I love you too! she said, but I am so terribly hungry! Can we eat now?
Old Jan 24 2009, 05:32 AM   #25
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#62 Nalasth

Muffled sound. A sharpening awareness. A growing longing to hatch, to live, to be! I feel hungry for food and friendship and for the part of me that is not here. I feel a need to stretch, to move, to hatch, to find, to belong and to find the human that will complete me.
I push and struggle and my shell breaks! The noise is sharper now, both audible and mental. One voice stands out. A mental voice, a female voice, one full of strength and kindness and rightness!
I stretch and flex green wings and go to the voice.
Old Aug 22 2009, 02:20 PM   #26
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#63 Eloun

Nadel’s done it! He’s done it. He’s safe now. He can make a new life for himself here. Oh, I am so, so proud of him!
I watch him for a few seconds, but then something attracts my attention, another green, slightly larger than Nadel’s. She flexes her wings. I feel attracted to her somehow. I take a step forward, and then stop, shocked at my temerity. The green closes the gap and I realise that she does want me. I look into her eyes and reach out my hand. She touches it with her muzzle and I am hers.
Old Aug 22 2009, 04:24 PM   #27
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#64 Pastrim (P’strim)

About half the eggs have been impressed now. Now that eight of our number have got their partners, the ranks are somewhat thinned. I wonder what Aslid would have made of this?
Who’s Aslid? A voice in my head asks.
I look down and see the bronze dragonet staring up at me.
“Someone who was very important.”
Important?
“Important, almost like you.”

Aslith looks up at me and just for a second, fleetingly, I think of how excited Aslid would have been about one of us getting a bronze, but then I look into Aslith’s eyes again and I forget.
Old Aug 22 2009, 04:25 PM   #28
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#65 Aslith

I hatch and straight away I sense the one that I want. I move through the crowd of humans in disgust. The creatures move out of my way eventually although I have to hiss angrily at one before he scuttles out of the way. Hah! How ungainly they are!
Eventually I reach him and he is mine!
I look into his mind and find my name. Yes… I like this name. It is important, whatever that is. Something my boy values, that’s all I care, and now my name is me and I am Aslith and together we are one!
Old Mar 14 2010, 01:38 PM   #29
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Apologies for the delay

#66 Neth

She’s smaller than the others. I wouldn’t call her beautiful, nothing is beautiful when it is first born, be it herdbeast, wherry chick or dragon, but even so we watch her avidly searching for a sign that she is looking for us. I steal a glance at Tanbra. She looks calmer than me, but then you can never tell with her.
My parents are here somewhere. I do my best to look calm for them. I’m trying so hard that I nearly miss her, but I don’t and it is done. I’m definitely not calm now, but I don’t care!
Old Mar 21 2010, 09:37 AM   #30
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

#67 Kistenna

I never thought that I'd be watching my own daughter on the sands and I'm still not quite sure that I want to.
It's strange to think that when my grandfather was Lord Holder girls on greens were almost unknown and even scandalous. I'm still not sure that I'd like Kistenna to ride a green. There is no real reason to object in these prosperous, peaceful days, but old habits die hard...
Latenna gasps and points. There's no turning back now and I can even feel pride as my Kistenna and her green... Neth, is it?... leave the sands together.