A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jan 17 2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on
Default Here be dragons

Has anyone read this book. I'm not going to spoil anything with I'm typing. But there are three books that go with this one. I like them got my mom to read them too!! Then again my mother is just like me with book she'll read anything, sometimes at the same time as me if I put the book down in the living room. I usually spend three days looking for that book.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: Here be dragons

Is there an author?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2010, 10:58 PM   #3
chris
Loo Cow

Fan of: Restoree

I've read it... years ago though
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Brenda, of course there's no author. Everyone knows that books with 'dragon' in the title write themselves and insinuate their long scaly snouts onto publishers' schedules without being noticed!

According to that minimally trustworthy source Wikipedia: " 'Here, There Be Dragons' is a fantasy novel by James A. Owen, published in 2006. It is the first book in The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series. The sequel,The Search for the Red Dragon, was released in January 2008 followed by a third book in the series called The Indigo King, released in October 2008. Book 4, entitled The Shadow Dragons, is scheduled for release in October 2009."

I can't say I fancy it, as the author uses (apparently, but there again - caveat - I got this from Wikipedia) the Inklings - JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis and Charles Williams, all real people - as the central characters in this fantasy series. Is this the series you're talking about, Topaz?
Old Feb 13 2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Brenda

Ooh, I think that might irritate me as well.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

That might even be enough not to pick them up... (even if it is the at times highly untrustworthy Wiki for the source)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
Brenda, of course there's no author. Everyone knows that books with 'dragon' in the title write themselves and insinuate their long scaly snouts onto publishers' schedules without being noticed!

According to that minimally trustworthy source Wikipedia: " 'Here, There Be Dragons' is a fantasy novel by James A. Owen, published in 2006. It is the first book in The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series. The sequel,The Search for the Red Dragon, was released in January 2008 followed by a third book in the series called The Indigo King, released in October 2008. Book 4, entitled The Shadow Dragons, is scheduled for release in October 2009."

I can't say I fancy it, as the author uses (apparently, but there again - caveat - I got this from Wikipedia) the Inklings - JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis and Charles Williams, all real people - as the central characters in this fantasy series. Is this the series you're talking about, Topaz?
yes thats the ones im talking about
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

That title sounds sooo familiar!

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2010, 01:39 AM   #9
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

"Here there be dragons." has been used many times, I don't know the original use for certain, but its been around a lot, a nice catchy phrase. I thought it was put on old maps, in areas they had no idea what was there, but that could be a myth. Then again it almost sounds like something from Lewis Carrol's stuff. I've read a couple poems from Looking Glass, but never picked up any of the complete works. So again no definitive answer.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2010, 07:48 AM   #10
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

"Here there be dragons" or "Here there be monsters" supposedly showed up on the edges of known territory on maps. These days, places like Dancing Dragons have all sorts of signs with it on.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2010, 12:54 PM   #11
murphy
Eskay

Here be Dragons was also a very fine book by Sharon Kay Penman. It was an historical novel dealing with Wales in medieval times. That was my first thought when I saw the thread.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote