A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jan 11 2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Cool Charles Stross - The family Trade

Reading Charles Stross' Science fiction books Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise was a surprisingly good experience, but reading his fantasy series The Family Trade, The Hidden Family, Clan Corporate, Merchant War and Revolution Business has been absolutely intoxicating and I cannot wait to get hold of the next book coming out in March, namely The Trade of Queens.

What do you think? Have you read any of his books? Which would you recommend to others?

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2010, 06:58 AM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Charles Stross - The family Trade

Hmm...
You really want to try The Atrocity Archive- which is hilarious in places. It's demons meets computers meets The Ipcress Files.

I've read Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise and the first two of the Family Trade series and Wireless 9a book of short stories). His characters are not always the most original (but appealing none the same) but the plots more than make up for it (and I like geeky males).
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

yes, you are right, I like the plot or story as I call it

I have already ordered The Atrocity Archives, and I look forward to reading it on your recommandation

One of my Danish SciFi friends has read Accellerando and says that it is good to begin with but hard to finish. She recommends to read until you tire.

I like the way Charles Stross writes, except for one expression, namely "shit hitting the fan". I almost cannot resist reading his books again just for marking the times that he uses this particular phrase

For anyone wanting a good story I recommend the Family Trade series!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2010, 05:33 PM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

There's a podcast here that's worth listening to.

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=...&id=58532#more
edith is offline   Reply With Quote