A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jan 3 2010, 12:36 PM   #1
mumcat2
Inactive

Fan of: Master Robinton
Now Reading: The White Dragon (15th or so time)
Default Anyone like Julian May or Stephen Donaldson?

The Saga of the Exiles and its follow-up novels are IMHO one of the best sets for depth of characters - has anyone else any opinions on them? The telepathy and other "skills" draw me very strongly along the rider/dragon bond too.
I read Lord Foul's Bane and its fellows a long time ago, can remember being enthralled at the time and now keep meaning to re-read the whole lot and stop short after Lord Foul's Bane - very heavy but also provocative in the prejudice department...
Any thoughts?
mumcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Anyone like Julian May or Stephen Donaldson?

I like(d) Julian May. Read the original series and thought they were great. Didn't like her later books as much.

Stephen Donaldson is my favourite after Ane McCaffrey, together with Mercedes Lackey! And as you said, he takes some to get used to and to read. Anne told me that he "used difficult language" And how right you are about the prejudice department. Those books are pretty uniqie and pretty special. The new series is even more "difficult" to read.
I like all of his fantasy (the volume of short stories is heavly recommended) but strangely enough I don't like his science fiction...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer
Default Re: Anyone like Julian May or Stephen Donaldson?

I like Julian May. The Saga of the Exiles is a favourite of mine and really like the depth of character in it too. The later books about Marc's pre-story aren't quite as gripping, but it does bring it round full circle, so you have to read them! I haven't been able to get into her other books at all, sadly.

Haven't read Stephen Donaldson, so can't comment there.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote