A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Apr 4 2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Additions to my collection

Finally, finally I found the missing volume in early the French paperback editions of the Harper Hall Series, Dragonsong or Le Chant du Dragon.
The tree Harper Hall volues were later re-published by Pocket Presses but these were done before that bu Albin Michel. Like all the Frech paperbacks these have unusual and special cover art, though I must say I like the art o the three Albin editions better tha the Wojtek Siudmak art on the later editions. The cover art on the Albin books is by
Marie-Christine Robert-Forest.

This is the volume that was missing in my collection

This is the complete set

Another thing I long wanted to have was the Locus (SF magazine) issue of February 1984. I had seen the cover before (it's actually not a cover because Locus in those days has none, just a frontpage) and the title over the inset "The Dragons and the Lists" was very intrigueing. Had their already been pubished a (short) list with dragon names? If so, I neede to have it as a source for both the encyclopedia and the still unpublished "Who is Wo on Pern"!
Recently I found a copy on the internet and I ordered it. It turned out the article isn't about the kind of lists I thought it was but about Anne being the first science fiction writer to go on the New York Times bestseller list

Here's the magazine's front page:

and the continuation of the article on page 40:

The article did deliver two "new" photographs of Anne that I had not seen before.

Here's some excerpts from the article:

Quote:
Anne McCaffrey was a successful sf writer with Atheneum when she was asked about her next goal in life. 'I said it was to get on the bestseler list in the New York Times.'Nobody took her seriously -- she didn't herself. 'It's something I never expected to do. I never expected that science fiction itself would make the list or that I would be the first. But I was the first professed writer of science fiction to get on the Times list.'
Quote:
She [Anne] has come a long way from the days when her ex-husband told her 'that I would never earn enough writing to pay the phone bill.
Quote:
How does she fee about success? 'It's gorgeous! I feel like whatever I'm doing I'm doing right, and if people are going to buy it in these quantities, it's right for a lot of people. It may not be literary, but then I never professd to be a literary writer. I'm doing something that writers with better style and maybe better content are not.'
and for the historians among us... (remember this is February 1984!)

Quote:
McCaffrey is working in new directions. 'I'm working on the screenplay to Dragonflight, ding it for a movie. I cannot tell you anything more than that because the producer wishes to remain anonymous for the timebeing. He has good reasons, part volunary and part political. Going from novels to screenplays is very interesting because it's a completely new field for me.'
and it gets even better...

Quote:
I'm also working with the U.S. studio Filmation to do a TV morning series based on Pern, which will take characters from the main books but very few incidents, so it will be completely branching out and aimed at the three- to eleven-year-old Saturday morning TV watchers.
and better...

Quote:
Also, there's been quite a bit of interest in Crystal Singer as a movie. At the moment there are Americans bidding for it and also an English unit.
McCaffrey will do a sequel to Crystal Singer, tentatively called Killashandra.
Non-sf (read this, Deb )

Quote:
A non-sf project is in the works as well. 'Tony Roxburgh of Futura has always wanted me to do a contemporary Thornbirds-type saga. Well, I don't think I'm a saga writer despite 700,000 words of dragons, but I have wanted to do a book on that particular fascination that the horse has for young kids. I've decided that the heroine will be a veterinary nurse. The title of this book will be "The Lady Touch", in memory of a favorite mare.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Additions to my collection

I wonder where the vet nurse went? The book is obviously "The Lady"/"Carradyne Touch"

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Interesting to hear the genesis of The Lady/Carradyne Touch,

Thanks for sharing these details Hans, and congrats on filling out the old French HHT.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 10:37 AM   #4
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

And a hooray for Colleen McCollough who wrote the original "Thornbirds", hehe, . Hans' has got an edge on finding things at the moment. That reminds me, there's something interesting from the USA at the moment on my kitchen table.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 10:45 AM   #5
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Wow, great additions to your collection!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 11:10 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Congrats on both finds Hans!!! The French editions are wonderful, neat artwork. You did make me go check my list to be sure I had that Locus magazine. I panicked thinking I'd missed one! I need to go review those magazine articles more often and get to know what they contain better.
Enjoy your finds!!!
Old Apr 4 2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Beky, if you make a list we would all benefit!

btw, I had a mass market paperback on one of the stacks to be sold; a fantasy/history novel "Bridhe of Birds"(A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was) but I discovered it has a promo blurb by Anne o the back promoting this book and its aythor, Barry Hughart.
Do you want it (since you collect everything Anne ever wrote ) or can it go?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 4 2008, 11:33 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh, did you all notice the misspelling of Anne's name (Mac Caffrey) on the first volume of the French Harper Hall trilogy which was corrected on the two later volumes?

Old Apr 4 2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Congratulations on such lovely additions to your collection

I love the art work on the covers of the French Dragonsong books...as for the Locus...WOW I love the photos of Anne...she looks fantastic.

I wonder what ever happened to the early morning Filmation series...that would have been terrific to see. I also wonder what happened to the screen play she was working on for that movie deal...that would be something fantastic to read through...especially since she was the one writing it!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Sandi

Very impressive, Hans. The article excerpts are fascinating! I wish the kiddie show had gone through at least. I'm sure it would have been better than 'Dragontales' which my granddaughter makes me watch sometimes.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

wouldn't mind reading your new finds

Congratulations

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5 2008, 01:22 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Hans - Thank you so much for the offer of the book, but I'll decline at this time. If the book had an intro by Anne then I'd take it, but just a blurb then I'll pass. Thanks again for the offer tho!

I missed the spelling of Anne's name on the book! I was so interested in the art work of the cover. Good thing you pointed that out or I'd've missed it.

And I do happen to have a list of magazines that I'll post. It's wonderful to have my collection on Excell!!! Makes things like this easy.
Old Apr 6 2008, 10:14 AM   #13
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

The French almost always spell surnames in capital letters, meaning that names like McCaffrey get split up. They also know that Mac and Mc are just variants in spelling of the same thing. Still, it's good to know they respected the author enough to use her preferred spelling later.

I think it's weird the way The Dragonriders of Pern gets translated to Epées et Dragons, not a sword in sight! Or very few... :p
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6 2008, 11:16 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Be it as it may, Granath, the spelling is wrong!

Old Apr 6 2008, 02:53 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans... it does make this edition a rare type of collectiable to add to your collection.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote