A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 15 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Fic?

I've looked around, and don't see any rules for or against talking about it, so I'm wondering if it's ok to talk about fanfictiony stuff here? If not, please give my topic the boot or something, as I'm not meaning to break any rules at all.

Do any of you write fanfic in the Talent universe, now that AMC has relaxed her rules against fanfiction? If so, is it RPG type writing, or story-style fic (a la much of the Harry Potter ficdom is made up of?)

What sorts of questions do you explore/want to explore/would want someone to explore in the Talent universe?

How do you portray canon characters, if you write them? Do you try to mimic AMC's voice and style, or do you write in your own voice, or what?

I suppose I should answer a few of my own questions

I used to hang out on the Kitchen Table, but never got involved in the RPG-type Weyrs in stuff because I'm far more interested in canon characters. So when the rules got relaxed to allow that, I was pretty much full of yay, so to speak. Yay!

Ahem.

I'm not sure what exactly draws me to the Talents so much, but I really enjoy playing around with them. AMC writes in a way that makes you think there's more going on behind the scenes in her world, like it's living on even though you've finished all the books about it. So I always seem to come back to dabble my fingers in the finger paint.

Typically when I write, I rely heavily on my own voice and style, but I've found when writing Talent fanfic I really subsume that beneath a...imitation, I guess, of AMC's style. And it's *really strange*. For example, I typically write in a heavy 3rd person limited point of view on my own stuff, or rarely first person, and as you guys know, AMC will slip into 3rd person omni at the drop of a hat, and that's a point of view that's rapidly becoming archaic--I can't think of many modern writers using it. I typically write with a limited cast of characters on the stage, from one to three, whereas AMC often has a whole host of characters interacting at one time. I don't do that because I suck at it. But strangely enough, put me down in front of a Talent fic using canon characters and suddenly I'm juggling 3rd person omni and flipping 6 different characters in and out of dialogue like I've done it before. Huh?

Does writing AMC-fic, Talented or otherwise, do that to any of you? I'm wondering if there's something about her style, or if it's just me.

Anyway, I know the category of canon-character Talent fanfic is young, but I was wondering if any other writers out there had favorite characters to portray? I admit I'm overly fond of Afra, and it seems I'm not alone seeing as he's kicking every other character's butt in that one poll I also really like to write Gollee Gren for some reason. He's my favorite whipping-boy character and a good foil for Afra and Jeff.

I have a difficult time writing the Rowan, mostly because her character changes a lot from The Rowan to The Tower and the Hive, and also because she's part of that Killashandra/Lessa/Rowan archetype AMC has, and I'm not fond of that type of character. I also think it's because she reminds me of my mom (my mom is physically the spitting image of Lessa, height and all, whereas I look like Lessa and Menolly's lovechild) and I'm not all that fond of my mom.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Fic?

It's a fine topic, Portalvast.

I've never joined any RPGs, and only dabbled a little in writing Pern fiction with select friends -- so never any Talent fiction writing here. I would however love to see some Talent fanfic, so if you're up to sharing anything you've done, feel free to post it in the "Exhibit Hall" forum.

And, by the way, Welcome to MoM!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2007, 10:39 PM   #3
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Re: Fic?

Oh cool, thanks for the reassurances. I read the rules in the Exhibit Hall, but it said stuff about copyright so I was unsure if that included fanfic or not. I've posted two Talent-based fics there (well, one of this writing, will put the second up soon).

And if Talent fics are allowed, I'd love to see other people's takes too!
Old Aug 16 2007, 04:00 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

As for writing about existing characters. I use my own style but do research the characters very extensively. So you could say I use as much of Anne as I can but write about the character in my own style.

e.g. you don't change habits or a sense of humour that Anne gave her character but you come up with your own jokes

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2007, 04:49 AM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I'm glad to see some non-Pern Anne fic.

I've written some notes for a story set in an era when Thian is Earth Prime, some 30 years after TTATH, but I haven't actually managed to write anything in that setting yet.

I really like your two stories, the style is very similar to Anne's. I hope you'll re-read and research the last three books of the Tower series, I'd love to read your take on what happens after TTATH.

You might find my Talent character index useful: Towerdex
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Brenda

I haven't written any Talent fics, but some of my Pern fics definitely have Anne's style, especially Dragonsong: An Alternate Tune.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2007, 12:47 AM   #7
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Dragonsong: An Alternate Tune - I read it, and enjoyed it, and yes, it did feel very AMC. I tried something similar...not an AU, but a retelling of Dragonsinger from Robinton's perspective, but I find I am not nearly eloquent enough, and when I am, it's a different, darker sort of eloquence. Afra's easier to write as he's not particularly eloquent, but he's very self-aware and does have a nice sense of humor to play with. And there's en entire book from his perspective to draw from.

Once I get Ashes and Sackcloth squared away, I think I'm going to see how a Kincaid-love-triangle story works out. I'm fairly certain I can make a catalyst for that that everyone would love to hate. ::evil grin:: I'm guessing I would substantially drop the AMC-mimicking I'm doing now, because for one we don't know much about Kincaid so there's not enough canon to base that sort of thing on, and secondly AMC's style isn't suited for storytelling body blows as much as my natural style is.

Moving on...I find I really want to discuss portraying Talented canon characters in fanfic, but there's not really many who've done Talent fanfic. Someone write some Talent fanfic, so we can compare notes and theories!
Old Aug 18 2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

I understand what you mean with writing about Robinton, or more, writing from his POV. He's very eloquent indeed and a hard character to write dialog for.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5 2008, 02:38 PM   #9
draconichybrid
Inactive

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
I've written some notes for a story set in an era when Thian is Earth Prime, some 30 years after TTATH, but I haven't actually managed to write anything in that setting yet.
I've done *some* thinking on a story set at most two or three years after TTATH starring the reformed Vagrian Beliakin and Vaclava Soolit (who oddly enough I've connected with the Tunnelle-Roznine line), but didn't get very far as I couldn't come up with a decent enemy.

Hivers are pretty much toast, so a new enemy is needed... best I could come up with is this vague concept of a shadowy cabal.

I've done one original creation before (completely unrelated), but it's stuck in a non-standard archive file () and I went all out -- two or three appendices, including a character section with height/weight/BMI figures, as well as personality and plot overviews, and an overall backstory section.

Quote:
You might find my Talent character index useful: Towerdex
Very.

Last edited by draconichybrid; Aug 5 2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Hmmm... timing might be the biggest problem...
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2008, 03:18 AM   #10
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

If I ever get around to working out this Tower plot, I just might write it. But I won't be handling any of Mrs. McCaffrey's characters directly; in fact, I hardly handle ANY author's characters. I'm too afraid of screwing them up.

PS: I use my own tone. It's what I'm best at.

Last edited by Multi-Facets; Aug 7 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Multi-Facets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2008, 11:42 AM   #11
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Me too. I might mention them off-stage, so to speak, but no more.
Old Aug 7 2008, 02:00 PM   #12
draconichybrid
Inactive

Quote:
Me too. I might mention them off-stage, so to speak, but no more.
I'm willing to handle the sneaky, manipulative types -- I can be sneaky and manipulative myself ... how can I 'mess up' myself?
Old Aug 7 2008, 04:13 PM   #13
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Interesting how different minds approach things. I write canon characters, but I try to hold myself to a high standard of characterization when I do so. If I don't feel that I'm capturing a character somewhat adequately, I don't write them. And this is how I stay appropriately...mmm...fannish? Worshipful? while still writing fanfic.

Here's a question--for those of you who don't write canon characters, is it because you don't trust your characterization skills? I admit I approach canon-characterization with a rather blase attitude because I feel my strongest skill as a writer is characterization, and also because I like the challenge of making other people believe in my characterizations of a different author's character.
Old Aug 7 2008, 08:37 PM   #14
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post
Here's a question--for those of you who don't write canon characters, is it because you don't trust your characterization skills?
Oh heck yeah. That, and my ideas for canon characters usually die before the 'fic comes to fruition.

I know fandoms in general are not open to original characters -in fact, they can be downright hostile-, but sometimes, those are the ideas that start panning out better (ie: "A Chance Of Dragons", and I'm actually hung up on that at the moment. Damn you, needed filler!)
Old Aug 8 2008, 12:20 PM   #15
draconichybrid
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
Oh heck yeah. That, and my ideas for canon characters usually die before the 'fic comes to fruition.

I know fandoms in general are not open to original characters -in fact, they can be downright hostile-, but sometimes, those are the ideas that start panning out better (ie: "A Chance Of Dragons", and I'm actually hung up on that at the moment. Damn you, needed filler!)
... Even worse is when your ideas aren't well suited for the "open" worlds at all. I'd do a hell of alot better writing something set in say, The Midlands (Sword of Truth) or Sacoridia.

But of course, those authors/authoresses are rabidly anti-fan fiction, so....
Old Aug 8 2008, 02:11 PM   #16
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Quote:

That's true with, say, Harry Potter fandom (and probably most others). AMC fandom is backwards, though...mostly due to the decades (literally) of banning fanfic using canon (Anne McCaffrey's original) characters, but allowing non-canon weyrs and original characters. Everyone's so used to doing original characters that the canon characters get neglected in fics.

That being said, my best-recieved fic has original characters as the mains, with canon as the supporting cast. It baffles me a bit.

Edit: I said "banning fanfic using original characters" where I meant "banning fanfic using AMC's original characters". Corrected it.

Last edited by D. M. Domini; Aug 31 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old Aug 8 2008, 04:31 PM   #17
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Absolutely. I've only written some 10,000 words of AMC fanfic in total through Dyani, and that's certainly not enough to tackle canon characters! However, I admit that even that effort has made me much more understanding and forgiving when it comes to Anne's continuity errors.

At least a third of those words are back story I've never written into a proper story.
Old Aug 29 2008, 12:22 AM   #18
Jovian
Inactive

Fan of: Talent series

I'm writing Talent fic! I have a story that I started many many years ago when I first read The Rowan and Damia that I take out, dust off, and work on once or twice a year. One day I might even finish it It's pretty AU, though.

I've just started another story as well, although this one I'm trying to integrate into canon. That's how I ended up stumbling across this forum (trawling for info on the web so I don't have to flip through all five books to find the little details I need!) I also found the Towerdex, which has been invaluable.

I've been reading your story, Sackcloth and Ashes, this week, and am very much looking forward to more of it. Your writing has quite inspired me. I was even more buzzed to find this thread, since talking about writing (particularly with people who write in the same fandoms I do) is something I don't get much of a chance to do (none of my friends write irl, alas).

Doh, lunchbreak over, will have to save writing rambles for later
Jovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2008, 10:31 PM   #19
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Hello Jovian. I'm glad you like my fic Sackcloth and Ashes!

What are your fics about? (Assuming you've not posted them anywhere yet)
Old Sep 1 2008, 02:34 AM   #20
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I have some work non-fic, it could be made into something, more Pern based I think, and idea rolling around in my mind. I just need to re find it its within plie of paper we (DJ and I) are trying to get cleared out.

We just got a great, paper shreader, its making it a lot easier to get rid of some of the things get dusty around her. "Achoo" sorry about that (covering face with a face tissue) lot of dust around here .
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2008, 05:39 AM   #21
Jovian
Inactive

Quote:
Hello Jovian. I'm glad you like my fic Sackcloth and Ashes!
I do, very much ^_^ I also finished Boxed last night. I'm dying to know how both fics end, but I'm willing to be patient and not badger you for more just yet ^_- I know how hard it is to find time to write, sometimes. Your OCs are very good, and are integrated into the world well.

I enjoyed the outtakes in both fics, too - always interesting to see what works and what doesn't work for other writers.

Quote:
What are your fics about? (Assuming you've not posted them anywhere yet)
The first is a fairly large crossover mash-up kind of thing, which is basically a re-telling of The Rowan with characters from a different place and different things happening. It is, however, probably of no interest to anyone other than myself so I won't bore you with details.

The other is a story written partially in response to my frustration with some elements of Anne McCaffrey's writing. I wanted to write a story where not everything gets straightened out by the end of the chapter, not everyone's goal is to get married and have babies, where not every parent is caring and wise, and not every Talent is benevolent.

So I'm writing about a guy who isn't Rowan or Damia or Thian/Lara/Rojer - he isn't 'perfect', he doesn't save the world, he isn't even a Prime. A T3 in a family of Primes, a perpetual disappointment to his parents, a bit of a misfit. It's the story of how he is all but broken, and recovers - with some help. It might also be a bit of a love story
Old Sep 1 2008, 03:39 PM   #22
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovian View Post
I do, very much ^_^ I also finished Boxed last night. I'm dying to know how both fics end, but I'm willing to be patient and not badger you for more just yet ^_- I know how hard it is to find time to write, sometimes. Your OCs are very good, and are integrated into the world well.
::

I am working on Boxed...problem is, I've sort of jumped on ahead and I need to backtrack and write the chapters between what is posted on ff.net, and what I've already written. I'm struggling with an info-dump concerning Hemlata right now...argh.

Sackcloth...that's a bit back-burnered. I'm wrestling with my Pern fic, The Skyboom. Robinton-POV troubles. For someone who has 3+ original characters inspired by him in her original fics, I have a darn hard time writing him in fanfic! Probably because the characters inspired by him also turned out vaguely evil. LOL.

Quote:
I enjoyed the outtakes in both fics, too - always interesting to see what works and what doesn't work for other writers.
The cut scenes? Yeah, I'm always curious about that stuff, and not many authors do it--the whole writing process is very hush-hush, it seems. So when I produced some chappies that weren't...terrible...but that took a different path from where I wanted the fic to go, I figured I'd stick them up, as they sort of delighted the fan in me despite being strange and/or cracktastic.

Quote:
The first is a fairly large crossover mash-up kind of thing, which is basically a re-telling of The Rowan with characters from a different place and different things happening. It is, however, probably of no interest to anyone other than myself so I won't bore you with details.
Crossover with another universe? Which author, and what universe?

Quote:
The other is a story written partially in response to my frustration with some elements of Anne McCaffrey's writing. I wanted to write a story where not everything gets straightened out by the end of the chapter, not everyone's goal is to get married and have babies, where not every parent is caring and wise, and not every Talent is benevolent.

So I'm writing about a guy who isn't Rowan or Damia or Thian/Lara/Rojer - he isn't 'perfect', he doesn't save the world, he isn't even a Prime. A T3 in a family of Primes, a perpetual disappointment to his parents, a bit of a misfit. It's the story of how he is all but broken, and recovers - with some help. It might also be a bit of a love story
That really sounds interesting! I like broken characters. Let us know in the Exhibit Hall once you post yours somewhere to read.

I agree that it can be frustrating with how AMC really plays the "Happily Ever After" card so hard. Her best books start with characters in hard situations...Lessa had to overcome some horrible things, Rowan grew up as an orphan (although I don't personally think her circumstances were so bad; thus my story "Boxed"), Killashandra had all her hopes and dreams shattered when it turned out she would never be a top-class singer, Helva lost her brawn, etc. I think Damia is the only really good AMC book that didn't start with a character that had some sort of hellish time growing up or some unfortunate early incident. And even she had her brother killed by Sodan. Then as a series progresses, the children of the original main characters have such perfect, happy lives. Nothing really bad happens to them. And the books suffer as a result.
Old Sep 1 2008, 04:12 PM   #23
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

(snrk) Laria suffered from Mrs. McCaffrey when her mind-match was homosexual, and thus they could only be friends even when he proposed. Makes me wonder what would happen if Kincaid or Laria fell for another guy. Would they get a divorce or choose polyamory?
Old Sep 1 2008, 06:55 PM   #24
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

I say they should have a polyamorous threesome, just because. And it should be written a la the style of The Rowan and Damia--as a romance. However, due to Dano's past, I doubt he'd be comfortable in such a situation...something horrible happened to him in his last three way. Although that could be an interesting hurdle.

I would trade the multi-POV books (Damia's Children, Lyon's Pride, and The Tower and the Hive) for one book each for the kids. One book about Laria being friggin' Prime of an alien homeworld, and her threesome with Kincaid and some other hot guy. One book about Thian and his education as Earth Prime's successor, and the person who wanted to kill him. One book about Zara growing up and finding her path as a medic, different from the others in her immediate family. One book with Rojer getting seriously messed up in the head because his 'Dinis were killed, and then "brought back to life". AMC's writing is usually slickest when she focuses in on one character...The Rowan, Damia, the Harper Hall Trilogy. Helva.

Edit: I was just musing about how I dislike AMC's aliens. Mrdinis are the new firelizards/dragons. The only aliens AMC has that I really liked were the Wefts. I think the Talent series needs more Wefts. That would rock. And *they* naturally have threesomes!

Edit 2: ...that's a really, really alluring plotbunny. Laria/Kincaid/Someoneelse threesomes, where Laria is Prime of the Weft homeworld, and has three weft friends she grew up with, rather than two 'Dinis. Holy...I so want to write that. That would rock so hard.

Last edited by D. M. Domini; Sep 1 2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Cracktastic thoughts.
Old Sep 1 2008, 09:38 PM   #25
Jovian
Inactive

Quote:
(snrk) Laria suffered from Mrs. McCaffrey when her mind-match was homosexual, and thus they could only be friends even when he proposed. Makes me wonder what would happen if Kincaid or Laria fell for another guy. Would they get a divorce or choose polyamory?
Auuugh! Laria suffered? Not bloody likely! 'Only friends' my *grumble grumble* She got everything she wanted from him, never mind what he might have wanted or needed.

I think Kincaid was my biggest disappointment of the latter books (although several others vied strongly for the title). Finally a gay character who wasn't just a caricature, who I actually really liked!

And how did he end up? He fell in love with a woman, got married, and started siring yet another batch of Talented babies I'm sorry, but no. If he really is homosexual, then he's going to end up miserable and unfulfilled, no matter how emotionally connected he is to her. If he really is happy with Laria as a sexual partner, then he's bisexual, not gay. He might prefer men, but he's still not sitting at the end of the Kinsey scale.

The message that Anne McCaffrey seems to be trying to get across is that it's fine to be gay, but you can only be truly happy with a member of the opposite gender - you just have to find The Right One Can you imagine the outcry if someone dared suggest to Anne that she could be happy spending the rest of her life with a woman if she just found The Right One?

I was particularly disappointed because Laria spent the first half of the book going "no, he's gay, our relationship is awesome and it doesn't have to be sexual". And I was thinking - fantastic! A close, platonic relationship, that's what I want to see! Except, of course, apparently you can't have any kind of really close relationship without it ending up at sex/marriage, because sex and marriage (and babies) are the only way for relationships to be meaningful

So yeah... Kincaid was a vast disappointment to me

Sorry about the rantage, apparently this is my pet peeve topic ^_^;
Old Sep 1 2008, 11:48 PM   #26
Jovian
Inactive

Quote:
I say they should have a polyamorous threesome, just because. And it should be written a la the style of The Rowan and Damia--as a romance.
Now, that I'd like to read Don't suppose we could bribe you into writing it somehow? We could pay with smileys and adulation

Quote:
I would trade the multi-POV books (Damia's Children, Lyon's Pride, and The Tower and the Hive) for one book each for the kids. One book about Laria being friggin' Prime of an alien homeworld, and her threesome with Kincaid and some other hot guy. One book about Thian and his education as Earth Prime's successor, and the person who wanted to kill him. One book about Zara growing up and finding her path as a medic, different from the others in her immediate family. One book with Rojer getting seriously messed up in the head because his 'Dinis were killed, and then "brought back to life".
You know, I think that would have worked a heck of a lot better. All the kids are interesting in their own ways, but having to attention-hop between them, especially when some were involved in major plots and others only in minor ones was quite frustrating. I think it would have helped the inconsistent characterisation too - Zara in particular suffered from it, and poor Rojer, who became almost indistinguishable from Thian as time went on.

I would have liked to have seen more of messed-in-the-head Rojer, too. And don't even get me started on the 'ressurection' of his dinis, which is another of my pet peeves Personally, I wouldn't be overjoyed if some of my friends died and then I was given clones of them with no memories, as "compensation" for my loss. I think 'horrified' would come a lot closer.

Quote:
Edit: I was just musing about how I dislike AMC's aliens. Mrdinis are the new firelizards/dragons. The only aliens AMC has that I really liked were the Wefts. I think the Talent series needs more Wefts. That would rock. And *they* naturally have threesomes!
The Mrdinis sounded cool, in Damia. But when they actually appeared in the flesh, they turned into bland, indistinguishable, furry servants with no actual personality or purpose other than Occasional Plot Device, which was disappointing.

Where are Wefts from? I mustn't have read those books. I like the sound of threesomes

Quote:
Edit 2: ...that's a really, really alluring plotbunny. Laria/Kincaid/Someoneelse threesomes, where Laria is Prime of the Weft homeworld, and has three weft friends she grew up with, rather than two 'Dinis. Holy...I so want to write that. That would rock so hard.
Write iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! Smileys and adulation! You know you wanna!
Old Sep 2 2008, 12:23 AM   #27
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

(shrinks meekly from Jovian) I was -um- joking, sir.

And, um, D.M., sir, I don't think Kincaid had a threesome, just two guys trying to possess him so the other couldn't have him. I can try to find the right page, maybe?
Old Sep 2 2008, 12:52 AM   #28
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Multi-Facets--Oh, I agree that it wasn't a full-out threesome. It was definitely two guys both playing headgames with him, and poor Kincaid caught in the center as the object of their dubious affections. I think they took advantage of him. But I also think such a situation would make him very wary towards future potential threesomes, if one was looking to write about threesomes in the AMC universe.

Oh, and don't you know? Never mention threesomes in a fic-writer's hearing; that's the sort of thing that rabid plotbunnies feed upon, and soon enough they'll bite our heels and infect us and you'll end up with anyone who can type writing the most unlikely things!

Jovian - Wefts appear briefly in the Planet Pirate books...probably the least-popular series AMC has. Sassinak, The Death of Sleep, and Generation Warriors are the books; they were compiled into the book The Planet Pirates. I think all of them are out of print, and have been even longer than the Talent series has been. Since all three were co-authored (Jody Lynn Nye and Elizabeth Moon, along with AMC), I wouldn't be surprised if Wefts were thunk up by someone other than AMC as her history with aliens isn't too good.

And...yes, I started writing on the Weft plotbunny. It involves naked Afra and trout. Darn it, I already have a gazillion fics on my plate! ::cries::
Old Sep 2 2008, 12:59 AM   #29
Jovian
Inactive

Quote:
(shrinks meekly from Jovian) I was -um- joking, sir.

And, um, D.M., sir, I don't think Kincaid had a threesome, just two guys trying to possess him so the other couldn't have him. I can try to find the right page, maybe?
Sorry! I most definitely wasn't ranting at you Anne McCaffrey creates wonderful worlds and characters, but still manages to hit some of my unhappy buttons. Although to be fair, it's not just her - a lot of writers handle certain issues badly and homosexuality is frequently one of them. I do have to give her props for trying to include gay characters in the first place, though.

Yeah, poor Kincaid was caught between two guys pulling him this way and that - not a good situation. Small wonder he was mentally bruised after that.
Old Sep 2 2008, 01:27 AM   #30
Jovian
Inactive

Quote:
It involves naked Afra and trout.
Ok, now I'm afraid!

I haven't read the Pirate books, will have to keep an eye out for them at second-hand book stalls.

And yeah, threesomes are instant bunny fodder Lots of fun, though hard to write convincingly! (Also - pronouns, bloody pronouns -.-)
Old Sep 2 2008, 02:47 AM   #31
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

(instantly relaxes, nods to Jovian) Thanks.
Old Sep 2 2008, 01:47 PM   #32
Brenda

Jovian - that series also includes "Dinosaur Planet" and "Dinosaur Planet Survivors" which overlap somewhat with the other books.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3 2008, 08:21 AM   #33
Jovian
Inactive

Quote:
::

I am working on Boxed...problem is, I've sort of jumped on ahead and I need to backtrack and write the chapters between what is posted on ff.net, and what I've already written. I'm struggling with an info-dump concerning Hemlata right now...argh.

Sackcloth...that's a bit back-burnered. I'm wrestling with my Pern fic, The Skyboom.
Heh, and now you have even more bunnies fighting for your attention Always the curse of creative people - other people can infect you.

Yay, another person that doesn't write chronologically! I jump around all over the place, too, and then have to string all the bits together. My brain just doesn't work linearly. Makes it rather difficult to post in-progress works, unfortunately.

I do want more of Sackcloth, though, please don't abandon it altogether!

Quote:
Crossover with another universe? Which author, and what universe?
Actually... it's a random assortment of characters pillaged from various places, mostly anime and comics. It's one of those totally cracktastic things that just kind of... happened ^_^; It's a 'comfort' project, though - when I'm having a bad time writing something else, I go back to it and just add little bits, and it makes me feel better.

Quote:
That really sounds interesting! I like broken characters. Let us know in the Exhibit Hall once you post yours somewhere to read.
Ooh, posting is a bit scary. When I've managed to write enough and bash into a form that's fit for the eyes of others, I'll think about it

Broken characters are my speciality I just have to be careful and make sure they actually develop and progress, rather than just sit around emoing all the time.

Quote:
I agree that it can be frustrating with how AMC really plays the "Happily Ever After" card so hard. Her best books start with characters in hard situations...Lessa had to overcome some horrible things, Rowan grew up as an orphan (although I don't personally think her circumstances were so bad; thus my story "Boxed"), Killashandra had all her hopes and dreams shattered when it turned out she would never be a top-class singer, Helva lost her brawn, etc. I think Damia is the only really good AMC book that didn't start with a character that had some sort of hellish time growing up or some unfortunate early incident. And even she had her brother killed by Sodan. Then as a series progresses, the children of the original main characters have such perfect, happy lives. Nothing really bad happens to them. And the books suffer as a result.
Yeah, I agree. Bring on the traumatic pasts! Menolly could be included in that list, too.

I think the struggle to rise above hard beginnings is what really hooks me. Characters who grow up as priveliged and trauma-free as Damia's children just aren't as interesting. They overcome some tough situations, but... we knew they would. They're Damia's children, how could they not succeed? And they come out unscathed.

'Boxed', on the other hand, contains the kind of trauma that I'm interested in reading about. Er, the recovery from, anyway - not the trauma itself!
Old Sep 4 2008, 01:35 AM   #34
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovian View Post
Yay, another person that doesn't write chronologically! I jump around all over the place, too, and then have to string all the bits together. My brain just doesn't work linearly. Makes it rather difficult to post in-progress works, unfortunately.
It's hard for me to write in sequence too. That's partly what's killing me now with the stuff I'm working on.