A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jul 20 2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight (24) - Dragonriders of Pern TV Cel & Tshirt

As most of you know, in 1999 Alliance Atlantis and Zyntopo were close to putting the Dragonriders of Pern on TV. It was a much hoped for event that, unfortunately, was ended just before casting was to be done.
They did give away a cel from their production though. They actually gave away 25 cels, each signed by Anne. I was lucky enough to win a copy!

I was rather surprised by the darkness of the planet. I guess it could be an evening view or maybe early morning with the dragons and riders greeting the morning sun. (I like the second idea the best) I'm also guessing that the large planet is the Red Star, it's not too red, but probably wouldn't be really a dark red. Could that be F'lar and Lessa in the corner? What do you think of the portrayal of Pern?

Another TV show collectible is the Dragonriders of Pern t-shirt given away at DragonCon in 1999. There were 1000 of the shirts made.

Front of the tshirt - it says Dragonriders of Pern with a stylized dragon in the middle.

Back of the tshirt - it has pern.com at the top (tho the site no longer exists as it did then) and the company logos below.

In addition, the Dragon Riders computer game was optioned to Groliers. They did manage to get the game out at least. This collector does not own a copy of the Grolier game, but is working to set that to rights. I do have the other game formats tho, both board game versions, the book game and Commodore 64 game version. Sorry, I digress....

I remember after the TV show was canceled that there were some actual models of the characters that came up for auction on eBay. I was rather shocked that they could sell that stuff and emailed Anne about them. She told me that she didn't think those sorts of things were to be sold, they were property of Zyntopo or Alliance Atlantis. Oh, how I wish I'd had the money to purchase some of those models! (the technical term is maquette, I believe, thanks to Cheryl for supplying the term when I couldn't remember it!) Although, now that I think on it, I thought it rather tacky that they were being sold and wouldn't have bought them if I'd had the money.

Let's hope that the new movie deal will actually come to a theater near us soon! And there will be wonderful new Pern toys to collect!!!

Update - to add the Dragonriders of Pern Game and TV show post cards......

the Black post card is the one from the TV show that never made it. And the other is the card for the Grolier Game.

The TV show card is blank and the Dragonrider Game card has a post card section with the web address for the game updates, which is no longer a valid web site. There is also a stub that could be torn from the post card and turned in to the Grolier booth to join the Dragonflight News List.

These are not signed by Anne, obviously, but the ones I've got that are signed are in with the drawing of Anne that I did.

So that makes a pretty complete DragonCon 1999 Dragonflight collectible list. Oh, wait! I just thought of one other Dragonflight related giveaway. No photo of it will be put up tho. It is a shortened version of Dragonflight that Del Rey gave away. Their booth was right next door to the Atlantis Alliance booth for the TV show. I think it contains a chapter from Dragonflight or something like that, I don't remember. (tho if I happen to think of it tomorrow I'll check, too tired right now. y'all are lucky I did the pics of the post cards) I'm off to get some !

Last edited by Becky; Jul 22 2006 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Update to add Post Cards
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2006, 04:02 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (24) - Dragonriders of Pern TV Cel & Tshirt

A wonderful collecting highlight, Becky. I remember well the report Cheryl made for us of her visit to that particular Dragon*Con, report that can still be read on het site, and her meeting you!

It was a wonderful and special Con!

Another small collectors item might be the postcards promoting the upcoming Dragonriders of Pern PC game Grolier gave away that Con. Although many hundreds (thousands?) must have been given away I never see them around

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Hmm, I wonder if I still have a few extras of that card I could sell....

I'm very jealous that you have one of the cels, Becky! But at least I have a t-shirt!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Becky
Coelura

Ah, Hans, you're right! Anne signed a bunch of them too! I'll have to dig mine out and add a picture of them to the highlight too! (but later on after work today)
Old Jul 20 2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Cheryl, that' a good idea

Just don't tell me you have spare signed ones

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 20 2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I don't have any signed -- I managed to miss all the signings Anne did at that DragonCon.
Old Jul 22 2006, 03:27 AM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Cheryl, sorry you missed out! Anne wasn't supposed to sign anything during that time! Donna and I didn't even take anything for her to sign because she had hurt her writing arm and was told by the dr not to do any signing. And when we happened to basically 'stumble' upon her at the Dragonriders of Pern booth well, we sure wished we'd brought stuff with us! But she'd been signing those cards so we picked up a few. I don't know if I have any extras or not. I'll have to check later. Haven't done so yet because my father in law is in the hospital, had to have a stent put in an artery in his heart. He's still in hospital but we're hoping he comes home tomorrow. (this is one of the reasons why we wanted them to move closer to us) We're glad they were here an not back in Bellingham.
Old Jul 22 2006, 06:23 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Ow... Becky, I hope your father's operation will go smooth and safe!

I said many times: colelctors can't be in any hurry; it might take years of waiting when something or some chance finally arrives

Isn't patience a virtue? Say what? YEAH, I have a VIRTUE! Who would've thought it

Old Jul 23 2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, yes patience is a virtue, and I do believe you have several and as slow as the mail is, patience must be one of them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2006, 01:00 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Say if either one of you( Cheryl or Becky) finds an extra one of those cards, just let me know what you want for it..... hint, hint, hint!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Dec 27 2010, 11:54 PM   #11
diogenese
Loo Cow

Fan of: White Dragon
Now Reading: King of the Murgos

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd add a pic of a Zyntopo promo pack that I came across recently. I keep trying to get the video onto a PC friendly format but I don't have the right NTSC equipment
diogenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2010, 03:22 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

I know that's a very interesting information/promotion pack, originally made for investors. I don't own one but was able to document and photograph it at Anne's home.

Did you buy it? If yes, I'd be interested in the price you paid and the way you acquired it.

And thanks for posting!

Old Dec 29 2010, 04:31 AM   #13
diogenese
Loo Cow

I bought it on ebay about 5 years ago and it wasn't hideously expensive, about £40 I think
I have just emigrated to New Zealand and have kind of rediscovered stuff I had forgotten about!
It has a covering letter signed by Eric Weymueller to the person I bought it from.
Old Dec 29 2010, 07:55 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Nice!

Yes, moving places do let you rediscover your stuff

Old Jan 3 2011, 10:15 PM   #15
diogenese
Loo Cow

I've finally got a PC friendly copy of the promo reel done, I've uploaded a small copy to youtube.
here's a link
Old Jan 4 2011, 03:49 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh, thank you, diogenese. It was woinderful to see the old Zyntopo / Alliance-Atlantis TV promotion again and especially see Anne in the animation room. Unbelievable that this is already well over 11 years ago... How time flies.

If this venture hadn't been embarked upon this board might never have exited as the possible TV series resulted in a Pern forum by AA and from there Alec McCaffrey started the Kitchen Table and from the ashes of the Kitchen Table this forum arose.

Old Jan 4 2011, 04:23 AM   #17
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Thumbs up Re: Collecting Highlight (24) - Dragonriders of Pern TV Cel & Tshirt

Very nice, kinda hard to see, being mostly in the same shade of one color to me. Thanks for posting it. @ diogenese

And nice to see how they do that, + Anne, and time flying for sure!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2011, 04:28 AM   #18
diogenese
Loo Cow

I have a VOB file that is much better resolution but it is 440MB so I haven't uploaded it.

I was sure I had seen you all before, it must have been on the Kitchen Table! did the user accounts get brought over after the closure of KT? When I tried to sign up it said I had a dormant account here.
Old Jan 4 2011, 02:06 PM   #19
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Thanks for uploading the video, I look forward to getting a chance to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenese View Post
I was sure I had seen you all before, it must have been on the Kitchen Table! did the user accounts get brought over after the closure of KT? When I tried to sign up it said I had a dormant account here.
No, this forum started from scratch, as did the other forums that sprang up after the KT was closed. I think one site had hoped to bring over the membership database, but it was realized pretty quickly to be a privacy violation to share that info. But, we do have a lot of the same members who use the same member names.

If you had a dormant account, then you must have signed up for it here. The records say you registered back in Jan 2007.
Old Jan 4 2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

As far as I know the video was never posted anywhere, certainly not after the dreams did not come true. I have seen the actual video (VHS tape) at Anne's home but never anywhere else.

Old Jan 4 2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenese View Post
I bought it on ebay about 5 years ago and it wasn't hideously expensive, about £40 I think
I have just emigrated to New Zealand and have kind of rediscovered stuff I had forgotten about!
It has a covering letter signed by Eric Weymueller to the person I bought it from.
Welcome to NZ Diogenes. What on earth has brought you to a tiny Canterbury town !!!!!! Hope you're clear of shakey Christchurch
I'm in Lower Hutt
Old Jan 5 2011, 01:28 AM   #22
diogenese
Loo Cow

I came over as I have some family here, and I can afford to buy a house on mechanics wages. I ended up here as it's where I got a job offer I like it as I'm a country boy at heart, even Timaru is too big for me and I can't afford a lifestyle plot!
I only lost one plate in the main shake, fell off my table!
I have a cousin in Welly, I'll drop you a line when I get settled enough to travel around
Old Mar 28 2011, 12:27 AM   #23
Becky
Coelura

Thank you for the link, diogenese! I enjoyed watching it! And it sure doesn't seem like it's been that long sine we awaited the premier of the show. I'm still disappointed, as I'm sure we all are, that the show never came about. It was sooooo close tho!
Old Mar 28 2011, 01:47 AM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW, WOW, WOW...Diogenese, how can I express my thanks to you for sharing your link. I missed your post completely, until today...sorry!

To think I have missed getting to see this video for so many months. Getting to see Anne included in your video was fantastic...not to mention what almost was. until now I had only seen a few photos of what was done for the T.V. show.

I had no idea that there were so many *Pern* video's out there...especially on YouTube. Great to get to see some kind of Pern...finally

Old Mar 28 2011, 10:05 AM   #25
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

You brought Becky back out of the woodwork. Haven't seen you in awhile

Great video though

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2011, 08:04 PM   #26
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I missed this link before, probably because we had just moved when you posted it. Thanks so much! It was GREAT to see!!
Old Mar 29 2011, 01:32 PM   #27
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: acorna's children second wave

that is great !! You can finally see how BIG the dragon's are. Nice to see.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote