A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Nov 10 2006, 10:08 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (34) - Dragonharper and Dragonfire by Jody Lynn Nye

Technically these are not Anne McCaffrey collectibles as these two paperbacks were written by Anne’s friend and fellow author Jody Lynn Nye. These two paperbacks are what they call interactive gaming books “but nonetheless a novel”, Hargreaves writes. It’s a little less easy to read than a regular novel but dspite this I thnk they can’t be mising on the bookshelves of any Pern enthusiast.

The first in this Pern Crossroads Adventures mini series is:

Dragonharper, TOR books first printing August 1987. ISBN 0-812-56404-9. No numbered pages in this book but it is divided into 176 sections. The cover illustration is by Doug Beekman. Hargreaves lists two issues: besides the regular mass markerp paperback (mmp) edition there’s also an ARC, an Advanced Reading Copy, issued at the American Booksellers Association convention in Washington DC in May 1987. The only difference lies in the cover, which is yellow with a black and white illustration (the same as on the later market edition). The actual market edition that says it’s printed in August 1987, appeared in July.
The book is dedicated “To my mother, Carole, to Diane and to Anne, thank you for letting me play in your backyard.” A special dedication is listed in memory of Judy-Lynn Del Rey.

Hargreaves neglects to mention that this book holds a number of black and white interior illustrations by Todd Cameron Hamilton (pics are photographs as I do not want to bend the spines of the paperbacks on the scanner, sorry):
On the page left from the “Record Sheet” page – a Harper with gitar and drum cases and more luggage (supposed to be Robinton)
Section 5 – a man falling overboard, from a spar of a sailing vessel
Section 26 – portrait of a Harper (Robinton?)
Section 55 – a snake
Section 58 – a man falling overboard
Section 136 – a harp
Section 176 – a flying dragon (over two pages) and a firelizard or dragon hatching

The strange thing with these illustrations is that the originals (of which we have the reproductions in the book) all seem to be signed by Anne McCaffrey! I would dearly want to see, or see pictures of, these original drawings; maybe we should ask Jody about them.

Years before the publication of The Masterharper of Pern, Anne gave Jody permission to write this book. It tells of Robinton’s years as journeyman Harper making his first journey to Benden, if he (read: you) fails at his tasks and problems that present themselves on this journey, he and the Harper Hall be disgraced (and you will lose the game)! Especially nice about this book I found to be the description of life on board of a Pernese ship.
The book has a nicely written preface by Anne herself, the “regular” introduction to Pern and an Introduction and Rules to Crossroads ™ Adventures by Jody’s husband Bill Fawcett.

]

The second book in this Pern Crossroads Adventures mini series is:

Dragonfire, TOR books first printing July 1988, ISBN 0-812-56423-5. Again there are no numbered pages but 125 “game” sections. This second in the series apparently has no other issue or edition than the one listed. It is dedicated to “Terri Becket, next time it’s your turn.”
On the next page there’s an acknowledgement to Dr. Daniel Kamen, Todd Johnson (yes, that’s Todd) and Anne McCaffrey “for patiently answering multitudinous questions” (which also must have helped a million when compiling the Dragonlover’s Guide to Pern!).
There’s a prologue by Anne McCaffrey and the Introduction and Rules to Crossroads ™ Adventures by Jody’s husband Bill Fawcett.

This story tells us about Mirrim, who is being accused of stealing newly discovered artifacts from Landing (Hargreaves mentions: “from the Southern Wastes”). The adventure of course is, that Mirrim must prove she is innocent and to do that she must find the real culprit.

This book has a few black and white interior illustrations by Todd Cameron Hamilton, too (pics are photographs as I do not want to bend the spines of the paperbacks on the scanner, sorry):
Section 1 – front of one of the Ancient’s buildings
Section 4 – a hand holding an artifact
Section 9 – a dragon flaming Thread
Section 31 – a man standing in a doorframe
Section 34 – Mirrim hugging Path’s head
Section 56 – a bird of prey/wherry
Section 65 – a firelizard attacking a man (either Reppa, Lok or Tolly attacking a trader’s apprentice)
Section 66 – a couple kissing (dragonrider Dannen and Mirrim)
Section 78 – a person hanging from a dragon’s tale
Section 107 – a dragon swimming

The illustrations in this book do not have Anne Mccaffrey’s signature on them.

I’m not going to list where these books can be bought; the only really rare one being the ARC (of which I have seen one for sale, not so long ago, on eBay but couldn't find any copies for sale when writing this article). There’s enough copies of the regular paperbacks available through Amazon.com and can easily be found through Bookfinder, Abebooks, Alibris or the much nicer service (because you get larger cover pics) of www.fantasfiction.co.uk
Prices range from about one dollar to about 15 dollars for a very good/near fine copy of the regular mmp editions (ex postage of course; and except for BookFinder where prices lies around 20 dollars for each copy listed!). You’ll find that Dragonfire is usually more expensive that Dragonharper. The original price for both books was $ 3.50. While searching using an search engine you’ll find that often Todd and Anne’s latest book, Dragon’s Fire is listed (even by famous sellers) as Dragonsfire…

As far as I know these books have never been translated in any other language. Hmmm...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (34) - Dragonharper and Dragonfire by Jody Lynn Nye

Nicely done, Hans! I love these books! Just because they give us a different perspective on Pern. I've got the ARC copy and will get a picture of it later on tonite or this weekend.
Old Nov 10 2006, 11:46 AM   #3
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (34) - Dragonharper and Dragonfire by Jody Lynn Nye

I have Dragonharper, but not Dragonfire. I like the pictures!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Nicely done, Hans! I love these books! Just because they give us a different perspective on Pern. I've got the ARC copy and will get a picture of it later on tonite or this weekend.
Thanks Becky! I KNOW I got a picture of that strangely coloured cover but I can't find it

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 10 2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris View Post
I have Dragonharper, but not Dragonfire. I like the pictures!
I've ordered a near fine/mint copy in the States, C_ris. Mine had a bad cover quality. If you wouldn't mind that I could be pursuaded to let it go for a very appealing price Or maybe you can trade me with something of the relatively new UK covers I still need?

If you think you might want to, I'll send pictures of my actual Dragonfire cover first, so you know what you get! (not the one in the pic)

Old Nov 10 2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Brenda

I don't come in here often, so this may seem like an obvious question, but what's an ARC?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

This Highlight was great Hans , it had me getting my books out to have another look at Anne's signature on the drawings. I don't know how I forgot about those, she must have really enjoyed Todd Hamilton's artwork, it's in both of these books, and the Dragonlovers Guide.
I took these two books to the World Con, to have Jody sign them for me. She is such a gracious lady, and it was wonderful to finally get to meet her. I have enjoyed the stories she has written with Anne, and look forward to giving her other books a read too.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2006, 03:06 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I don't come in here often, so this may seem like an obvious question, but what's an ARC?
Brenda, an ARC is an Advanced Reading Copy. Publishers give out these to booksellers and reviewers so they can read a book before it is officially published. Sometimes they are also given to fans who act as "proofreaders".

Major mistakes can still be edited out. ARC's usually don't have the actual cover the book will have later. Most often they have a simple cover (read: not a full color one that is expensive and takes longer to print).

Old Nov 10 2006, 03:21 PM   #9
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I've ordered a near fine/mint copy in the States, C_ris. Mine had a bad cover quality. If you wouldn't mind that I could be pursuaded to let it go for a very appealing price Or maybe you can trade me with something of the relatively new UK covers I still need?

If you think you might want to, I'll send pictures of my actual Dragonfire cover first, so you know what you get! (not the one in the pic)
That'd be great!

Old Nov 10 2006, 04:51 PM   #10
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

I managed to pick up a copy of each of these via ebay last year-relatively reasonably

I really must do what I keep saying I must do and sort out and catalogue all my books so I know what I have and what I need
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2006, 05:15 PM   #11
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I have both of these, thanks to a couple very generous people! I haven't gotten around to reading them, but I will as soon as I get to them in the chronological timeline
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2006, 05:26 PM   #12
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

I have an ARC of Dragonharper which Jody gave me (and signed for me!) Apart from the colours (the ARC is in yellow and black/white) the cover pictures seem to be the same as the "regular" copy I have.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2006, 06:29 PM   #13
~(_'>

I love these books. Anything Pern is my motto.

I sent a signed copy ARC of one of these off to Shani last year.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2006, 08:12 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW!!! Mouse, that was really nice of you, I bet Shani was really happy to get it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Nov 10 2006, 08:20 PM   #15
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

The best thing about all these threads is it makes me realise that I do have a few holes in my collection that need filling!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2006, 04:38 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Kath, that's one of the reasons we love doing then. These books would have vale for someone writing fanfic because they show new insights and a good author's view on life on Pern!

Old Nov 11 2006, 05:48 AM   #17
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Exactly. All those little extras that one reader may not have noticed get shown in an entirely new light.

I'm adding some cheap copies of these books to my shopping list, I think.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2006, 08:26 AM   #18
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I remember really enjoying Dragonfire. Mirrim's character matches well to Anne's portrayal of her, but with the book being from her perspective she's much more sympathetic that she is at times in Anne's books. I found it really helped explain her point of view. And it also fills in the gap of how she and T'gellan get together, as I recall (been a long time since I read it).

Dragonharper was harder to enjoy, as Masterharper of Pern had already been published by the time I got a hold of a copy, and therefore this story was redundant to that one. But some folk might like it as an alternative bit of history to the "perfect" Robbie of MHoP.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2006, 06:27 PM   #19
Becky
Coelura

Ok, here's the picture of the ARC and a couple of others I had to add.

The one of Robinton's Journey is rather neatly done. And then the picture of, Robinton (I think). Tho that picture doesn't have Anne's signature on it.

The ARC is pretty much the same as the actual book that was sold, except for the cover being in color. It has the copyright information along with the number line and pictures too.
Old Nov 11 2006, 10:12 PM   #20
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

I actually prefer the ARC cover, I think!

Old Nov 11 2006, 10:14 PM   #21
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Hey, one where I actually have the items discussed....I got mine on Amazon for about $10 each, and it did take longer for the bookfinder to locate a copy of Dragonsfire--which was all good, as I turned out to like that one much better. In fact I rather wish Jody-Lyn could have KEPT writing Mirrim, as she was much more likeable here than in the other books!
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2006, 01:47 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

@Becky, I love getting to see your Arc copy. I think I agree with Cris, I like the cover a little better on this one, but I'm not sure why...pershaps because it looks like a pencil drawing!?! Thanks for all the great photo's...nicely done!!!

Old Nov 12 2006, 07:50 PM   #23
Becky
Coelura

LOL! Anareth, it's great to hear that someone else has a highlight item!

C_ris and Maelin, hmmm, I wonder what it is that you like so much about the ARC? It's the same picture except for the color. So maybe it is the pencil drawing look you like.
Old Nov 13 2006, 10:56 AM   #24
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

The colouration is more stylistic. In the coloured version, the cover is a bit "busy", but the lack of colour and the yellow background on the ARC makes it seem simpler, and more aesthetically pleasing.

Old Nov 13 2006, 11:35 AM   #25
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

What ^he said LOL.

Old Jun 8 2008, 03:18 AM   #26
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I rember reading them too. Hans
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2008, 03:23 AM   #27
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

It has been a long time Han. But I do recall that the person who being attacted was the one who hurt K'van. And and was bashed from Benden Wyer. The Smallest Dragonboy is the short story in questions Who where you look for update your site?
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2012, 05:24 AM   #28
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

I know it's an old topic, but I've just written up a synopsis for Dragonfire (which I recently got), which I thought might be of interest.

Writing it turned out to be far easier than I thought it would be, actually! Unlike a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book where there's lots of possible endings and events (and I don't know if I'd have been able to write a synopsis if it was like that; I'd only be able to list the endings), Dragonfire only had three endings; two of which were the same thing but with a few different details, and the third was what happened if you made a bad choice or Mirrim got hurt, so I read through the whole book, made a chart of every possible option, and then compiled that into a readable synopsis!

http://pern.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonfire_(Crossroads)

Next on the list is Dragonharper! Here's hoping - when it arrives - I can read through that as fast!
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2012, 12:57 AM   #29
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey

I am glad you finally got a copy of Dragonfire Almaron. I enjoyed your review as well. I have both books. I bought Dragonharper when it was first published and did not even know Dragonfire existed until I saw iit years later in a second hand bookshop. Needless to say i pounced on it like a dragon on a wherry
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2012, 03:43 PM   #30
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

Dragonharper arrived a few days ago! I've finished the "chart" for it, and I just need to finish writing the synopsis - should be done by the afternoon. (EDIT: It's done! Dragonharper's synopsis can be read here; http://pern.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonharper_(Crossroads) )

After reading both of them, I think Dragonfire is my favourite, as it seemed like there were a number of times in Dragonharper where your choices didn't really have an effect on the story; such as a part where Robinton notes his runner is limping; regardless of whether he stops to treat it or not, it ends up lame and he stops riding it (I also think there was a misprint in my edition at one point; one part had Robinton losing a fight and getting knocked unconcious, only to be fine and attending a Gather in the next section. Presumably "Go To Section 39" was meant to be "Go To Section 29"; the bad ending).

One another note, while Dragonfire could be considered canon to some degree, Dragonharper certainly couldn't as it contradicts too many things in The Masterharper of Pern - interestingly, both stories have Robinton working at Benden Hold under Master Evarel...could these stories, like the DLG, been written using Anne McCaffrey's draft material?

Last edited by Almaron; Feb 8 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote