A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Dec 9 2011, 11:48 AM   #121
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Good Bye, Anne

That's great Anne, they said the official obituary and an article will be in the January issue.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9 2011, 12:37 PM   #122
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Annie - I look forward to reading that, if you see what I mean in the circumstances. Now, how to get a copy of Locus...?

I guess I'm just a slow processor. I wept when Anne died, but it's only now after some time has passed that I really get that she is gone. Knowing she was at the other end of e-mail, making chocolates that I know she loved, missing her wicked sense of humour - it's hitting home now. God bless her family. This is going to be a tough Christmas.
Old Dec 11 2011, 08:24 AM   #123
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
This is going to be a tough Christmas.
Yeah, it certainly will.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 16 2011, 06:44 PM   #124
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

I wanted to tell Anne about that planet in the habitable zone discovered by the Kepler observatory (see this link if you're interested) but then realised I couldn't. It takes time for the news to fully sink in. What a pity she didn't see this milestone towards the discovery of a twin of the Earth, like Pern.

I'm with Lanen. We were planning to surprise Anne with some more marzipan ginger chocolates this Christmas. But maybe we'll send them to Gigi and the rest of the family instead. If it's hard for us it must be orders of magnitude harder for Gigi, Todd and Alec this Christmas.
Old Dec 16 2011, 07:08 PM   #125
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
I wanted to tell Anne about that planet in the habitable zone discovered by the Kepler observatory (see this link if you're interested) but then realised I couldn't. It takes time for the news to fully sink in. What a pity she didn't see this milestone towards the discovery of a twin of the Earth, like Pern.

I'm with Lanen. We were planning to surprise Anne with some more marzipan ginger chocolates this Christmas. But maybe we'll send them to Gigi and the rest of the family instead. If it's hard for us it must be orders of magnitude harder for Gigi, Todd and Alec this Christmas.
Thank for sharing this, just what I needed to make my day
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22 2011, 07:36 PM   #126
Saylea
Curlycorn

Fan of: Master Robinton
Now Reading: Mutants On Genetic Variety and the Human Body

My husband is friends with one of the authors from the Forgotten Realms books on Facebook thats how I found out.
Good bye Anne your works will carry on your memory.
Saylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2012, 09:25 AM   #127
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Sonnet to a Silver Lady

O silver lady, by whose prolific pen
Did crystals learn across deep space to sing,
And from whose mind minds learnt great ships to sling
Twixt stars, and talk from mind to mind open.

For whom the horses mourned and dolphins talked,
For whom vile Mil and cruel Kolnari died,
For whom her people danced and couples sighed.
For whom round distant stars her mind's eye walked.

Whose dragons flew with phosphine breath to flame
Thread from the skies, a past'ral world to save;
Whose heroines built worlds, but when not brave
Did Aran sweaters knit and men folk tame.

From golden dragons flies so high and free
The silver soul that was our Anne McCaffrey.

2/1/2012

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Jan 8 2017 at 06:59 PM.
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2012, 06:21 PM   #128
LadyDeerskin
Rocksquat

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern
Unhappy Re: Good Bye, Anne

i just heard today, through a comment sent to me by someone on Amazon. i know she hasnt felt well for quite some time, but this is a shock. and a loss that will never be filled or healed.

she was our MasterHarper of Pern, the one who stood up for a brighter future for those of us who are disabled through her Shellperson books. she knew the bond between man and animal can be so much more than people of her day could conceive, when she began the Dragonrider books. only in the last month did i first see the movie 'Avatar", and i love it for so many reasons, but one of the greatest thrills is the moment when the Ikaran Clan sweeps down the cliff face, following Jake on his great Toruk....it is so close to Anne's dream. it shows that her dragons can one day be on the big screen, just as Cameron's Ikarans did, and be far more beautiful. i look at this pic, and see her dragons and she should be on a queen greater than Ramoth.

sorry, im really upset by this. her books have been a support and escape for me for years, and now for my daughter, who loves Robinton so much she doesnt want to read any book without him- her first was "The MasterHarper of Pern', and she has printout pics of him, and many of the other characters up on the walls of her room. she first read my hardback edition, then, asked for her own copy. she didnt have much money at the time, and so wound up with a dog eared copy. just the other night, she showed it to me, hugging it to her, 'Mine! all mine, to take wherever i go, Robinton and the dragons will be with me.'

God keep you close to His Heart, Anne.

LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2012, 07:32 AM   #129
Hans
Master Archivist

Beautiful, Peter! Beautiful

That's a very moving tale, Lady Deerskin.

Last edited by Hans; Nov 24 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old Mar 31 2012, 10:04 PM   #130
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

I realize that this is a few months overdue however when I heard about Anne's passing I had many emotions run through me. For all the sadness I was also reminded of how grateful I am for her. If it weren't for me picking up my mothers copy of Dragonflight I never would have learned about crystals and perfect pitch, or the immense power and community that can be found in someone's fans. Because of her creativity and beautiful storys I met new people, read fanfiction for the first time, and went to a sci-fi convention. I may not have had the pleasure of meeting her myself but she had a wonderful impact on my life and I'm forever thankful.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2012, 12:50 AM   #131
LadyDeerskin
Rocksquat

Unhappy Re: Good Bye, Anne

its been months since she died, but things keep coming up that bring back the pain of losing her. i read "Pegasus In Space", and when i got to the end, i had my usual reaction of "wonder how long it will be before she writes a sequel to this, to know what's next for Peter, Tirla and the others?' and this keeps hitting me with the same reaction. i've read all her books, and always have been eager to see what she will say about the characters next....

...now, never again. and it still hurts.
Old Apr 1 2012, 09:29 AM   #132
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Today would have been Anne's birthday. I hopw she's celebrating in Beyond Between with a dragonride.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2012, 10:38 AM   #133
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

*Holds up a glass of Benden white* Cheers to Anne.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2012, 06:55 PM   #134
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I was thinking of her while taking a walk, to a local park, *Holds a glass of mulled Benden White*
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2012, 08:42 PM   #135
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Today would have been Anne's birthday. I hopw she's celebrating in Beyond Between with a dragonride.
Of course she is. She's always ridden gold.

I have nothing alcoholic to toast her with, so I hope Mrs. McCaffrey won't mind if I do it with some coffee. (raises mug) To you, Mrs. McCaffrey. Always.
Old Apr 1 2012, 09:04 PM   #136
LadyDeerskin
Rocksquat

Gold Re: Good Bye, Anne

A great dragon for you, Anne...i hope you have one greater than Ramoth to ride now.
[IMG][/IMG]
(yes, i know its a Toruk, but this makes me think so much of the dragons she created.
Old Apr 2 2012, 05:20 AM   #137
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Is there any news of the memorial celebration that was mentioned early on?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Apr 3 2012, 04:41 PM   #138
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Is there any news of the memorial celebration that was mentioned early on?
Nothing

Old Apr 10 2012, 12:37 AM   #139
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

Happy belated would-be birthday Anne...
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2012, 05:59 AM   #140
elvenart
Curlycorn

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

I remember my first introduction to Anne's works, though not the exact date. It has to have been, oh lord, somewhere in the late eighties (roughly '88-'89). My mother, brother, and I were visiting my grandmother and various aunts and uncles at the time. Now, I used to read a lot when I was really young (7-8 years old), but got away from the habit for some time. I was now about 12 or 13, and was wandering around her home, as any inquisitive, wants-to-be-alone boy is wont to do, and spied a smallish paperback on the lamp stand next to her recliner. Upon closer inspection, I found it to be 'Dragonsinger'. Up to this point, as any adult tries to do with the younger generation, both my mother and she had attempted to get me to get back into reading, and now she leaped at the chance, telling me to go ahead and pick it up. I was hooked immediately, and tore through her not-inconsiderable library for more. Upon arriving home, I proceeded to acquire all that I could at the time. I have been an avid McCaffrey fan since, and have her to thank for reigniting my love of written works.

As Mawra said, this is an occasion to uncork a wineskin of fine Benden wine, and toast the life, achievements, and subsequent passing, of a great among greats, and wish a fond, silent farewell to the architect of so many people's dreams, hopes, fantasies, and inspirations. Truly, we mourn the passing, the 'going Between for all time', of this remarkable lady, who has given so much love and devotion to, not only her beloved family and friends, but to all who have ever picked up one of her novels.

I never knew her personally, never met her, and only now learned of her passing, but I have so much to thank her for, so much to praise her for. There really is nowhere to start or end - and really, do we want to try? She has given us wings, ships, Talents, whatever we need to ascend to the heavens in our dreams and fantasies, and, even though there are stories that are left untold, left unfinished, or that we wish had more to them, we are still able to be lifted up every time we pick up one of her works, and indulge ourselves in her worlds. It is now up to all of us to pass on her legacy to the next generation, to keep her dreams alive, and we know that if even one person takes us up on our urging, then her legacy will never pass away.

Goodbye, dear lady. I regret never having the opportunity to meet you, but I do so regret the loss of one such as you to the world, and the dreams left unfinished, untold, still forming in your marvelous imagination.
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2012, 07:46 PM   #141
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Nothing
We've heard nothing too. I was half expecting something to happen while Mike and Tania were on this side of the atlantic, and (according to their concert calendar) they are in Ireland until mid June. (No UK tour this year .) But that's no guarantee. It really depends on Gigi's schedule.
Old May 20 2012, 05:31 AM   #142
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Correction: Mike and Tania have a UK tour this September. I think it's only Tania who's going back to the USA in June.
Old Nov 22 2012, 01:23 AM   #143
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

A year later...and I still miss her.
I've been re-reading my favorite Anne stories this year *The SHip Series*...naturally and I've come to realize that I find myself thinking of her in her own ship...flying out among the stars, still having her own incredible adventures...and I find myself smiling at those thoughts.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2012, 03:55 AM   #144
Sokar
Digital Imagineer

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Star Wars: Legacy of the Force

Here's the link to the video tribute produced to Anne.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2012, 05:16 AM   #145
Hans
Master Archivist

Me too, Maelin, me too. More than I expected actually.

Old Nov 22 2012, 05:25 AM   #146
Lily

That's very nice indeed, Sokar, and I recognise several of those people!!!!
Old Nov 22 2012, 10:15 AM   #147
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

All day yesterday as I was delivering my mail route I was thinking of Anne and the sense of loss I feel. When I got home I just sat in my Anne book and collection area. This always make me feel better.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2012, 10:53 AM   #148
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
All day yesterday as I was delivering my mail route I was thinking of Anne and the sense of loss I feel. When I got home I just sat in my Anne book and collection area. This always make me feel better.
Bruce, I spent a good deal of the evening behind my computer (and that's in the room in which all the Mccaffrey stuff and books are) and have been looking at photographs of friends I've met through Annie over the last decade (mainly via the internet), photographs of events, meetings, gathers, cons etc. And damn it, when I looked at the photos of the times I visited Anne at Dragonhold, I cried (again).

Old Nov 22 2012, 07:23 PM   #149
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Of course you did, you good soul. {hug} She touched us all forever, and if we did not mourn her - well, I think she'd be ticked off.
Old Nov 22 2012, 11:46 PM   #150
Bruce
Rocksquat

Hans, the photos you took on your last visit are among my favorite! One of the joys of becoming part of the MoMer community was to be able to read about your and other members personal experiences with Anne. It gives fuller meaning to the wonderful lady,whose work I have loved for so long. Thanks to all members for sharing.
Old Nov 23 2012, 08:14 PM   #151
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

I just watched the video tribute and of course I am crying like a baby!! I still miss the fact that she will write no more new books!! I hope that the family is together through the holidays and knows that there are many people who still love them as much as they love their mother and grandmother!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2012, 02:15 AM   #152
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Sokar...thank you for the lovely memories and all the tears that are falling because of them...it is indeed a beautiful video.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2012, 12:03 AM   #153
Bruce
Rocksquat

Sokar, thanks for the video link. It was great to see all those wonderful photos of our dear Anne.
Old Dec 13 2013, 01:12 PM   #154
Delia
Threadbait

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: Dragonwriter

I'm a Johnny-come-lately here, but I wanted to share my special memory of Anne. Back when I was on the GEnie network, in a fan club called ForTen, we wanted to honor Anne at a Dragon*Con. A fair number of the members put together a friendship quilt, and some of the rest of us wrote notes of appreciation for her work. Imagine my surprise that Christmas when a package arrived at my home from Harry and David Orchards, containing two gorgeous pears and several boxes of candy. The gift card with the package was signed "Anne McCaffrey." WOW!

The most surprising part was that between Dragon*Con (which I couldn't get to because my car broke down) and Christmas I moved from Florida to Massachusetts. I had been asked for my new address, but I never dreamed why.

I never met Anne, but I treasured that note. unfortunately, it disappeared in a move, but not from memory.
Delia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2013, 04:10 PM   #155
Hans
Master Archivist

That's a great story, Delia. One to treasure indeed. It is indeed very Anne McCaffrey

Old Dec 22 2013, 02:11 PM   #156
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I realized what prompted me to reread Pern stuff recently...my big fat fluffycat, whom Anne would have appreciated as a fancier of similar cats, died abruptly in October (the vet said most likely a large-breed-related heart defect.) I was not getting another cat as I already have others. That's a lot of cats and dogs. A couple weeks afterwards, while I was feeding my neighbors' outdoor cat the wet food my remaining cats had decided was beneath their palates, I turned around and sitting right behind me was a black kitten with a white bow tie marking. Took about two seconds to let me pet him and pick him up. He's moved right in with my other cats like he's always lived here. It dawned on me I started thinking of Anne because she'd have loved hearing a good cat story...
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23 2013, 05:17 AM   #157
Hans
Master Archivist

She would have loved your story indeed and probably would have said that the kitten chose you as her person to stay with (for obvious reasons). Anne was definitely one who was owned by cats and knew very well that it wasn't the other way round.

Remember the famous Echo? That cat simply decided to go live with someone else for about half a year, not so long after he got famous on the live kitchen table. Other owners maybe would have gone and got him back. Not Anne. She'll return if she wants to, Annie said

Thanks for your post, it made good memories come back!

Old Jan 1 2014, 04:19 PM   #158
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Todd has just posted a number of photos of Anne's grave, with its dragon headstone, in his current newsletter. If you do not receive it, get on over (at least for this one)

todd@pernhome.com

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 1 2014, 04:57 PM   #159
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I followed your link and then went to Todd's site but could not find any pictures. I am sure they are there I just did not look in the right place. Thanks for letting us know.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2014, 05:11 PM   #160
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

http://pernhome.com/tjm/?page_id=2776

Try this Cilla
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote