A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Apr 20 2011, 01:55 PM   #161
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons
Default Re: What is happening

Thanks all. We went to her IEP(Individual education plan for special needs she has ADHD AND Asperger's Syndrome ) meeting this morning .
Another event to make one feel old. Talking about how next year is her last year and college etc.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2011, 05:17 PM   #162
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

We lost Loopy last night. She got very sick and we took her to the vet. He said that her skull was not growing, but her brain was. He keep her just to make sure that is was not a virus. Unfortantly there was not anything the vet could do.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2011, 06:37 PM   #163
Sandi

I'm sorry, Maw. You did the best you could.

A little boy in my granddaughter's first grade class was one of the people who lost their home in the violent weekend weather. He, his parents and little sister survived by hiding in a closet. It was the only part of their home still standing after the storm. Mary's little heart was broken over it and the whole school is organizing to help them. I know the same sort of thing is happening all over the region just now but still it does my heart good to see so many people in the community rally around those who are hurting.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2011, 06:57 PM   #164
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I'm sorry, Maw. You did the best you could.

A little boy in my granddaughter's first grade class was one of the people who lost their home in the violent weekend weather. He, his parents and little sister survived by hiding in a closet. It was the only part of their home still standing after the storm. Mary's little heart was broken over it and the whole school is organizing to help them. I know the same sort of thing is happening all over the region just now but still it does my heart good to see so many people in the community rally around those who are hurting.
In our area we have damage from the twisters, and now an April 'snow' storm too, with rain comming later on this week.

That is sad to hear Maw
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2011, 07:32 PM   #165
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

sorry to hear about loopy.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2011, 08:05 PM   #166
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Thanks all.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Apr 22 2011, 06:08 AM   #167
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I'm sorry to here about the kitten Maw.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22 2011, 08:11 AM   #168
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I'm sorry to hear about loopy. It was a really cute kitten. That picture in your husband's shirt pocket just made me want to take the little furry fluff ball home! (no, not your husband, the kitten! )

We had our first hummingbird at the feeder yesterday. I'm not sure if it was one of last year's regulars or just someone passing through. However, it's a good sign, and I'm glad I got the feeders out a bit earlier this year. LOVE the hummers!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22 2011, 09:20 PM   #169
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Jenn is getting a new car! A Mazda3, 4 door sedan model. I've saved up about $9,000 to help her with it, she's got another $5,000, and the rest we'll finance. She's had her Mazda Protege for 10 years and about 160,000 miles. It still runs, but Mazda is making some good deals right now, so it looks like it's time! Mmmmm. Love the smell of a new car!
Old Apr 23 2011, 12:18 AM   #170
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Maw... I am sorry to hear about your kitten, but like Sandi said, it does sound like you did all you could for it.

Cilla...WOW a new car will be great for Jenn and I hope the deal she gets will be a really good one with that amounty of down !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26 2011, 09:24 PM   #171
Rianne

we have a baby bird. it is a dark eyed junco, and my mom found it on the ground. i can't feed it too good. unfortunatly it imprinted me. i don't know how i will get it thru the night. it ate 2 worms and about an ounce of agave suryp/ water. it is still cheeping. ots name is flap. HELP!!!!!
Old Apr 26 2011, 09:35 PM   #172
Rianne

it's nome is now skwak. or squeel. or shriek.
Old Apr 26 2011, 09:41 PM   #173
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Lord Rianne...I've never had a baby bird land in my lap...so to speak...but
what your doing sounds about right. You might want to get some advice from
you local Vet...or local bird/pet store, as they might have some good ideas.
Good Luck...and please keep us posted.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Apr 26 2011, 10:11 PM   #174
Rianne

unfotunatly, we are extremley busy this week and might have to give it to some freands of ours, or there is a wildlife musium with a hospital ( for wild animals) where we are probably going to take it. (i will post some pics we took in a bit)
Old Apr 27 2011, 07:59 AM   #175
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

The hummingbirds came back to our feeder a few days ago. I think these were ones just "passing through". From what I have read there is a good chance that the same ones who were here all last summer will come here again. Can't wait. I love watching them!

In other news, last night was Mike's last choir concert at WestCONN. He graduates on May 22. This was a concert of a cappella groups. Of course his was the best! I love an all male choir! The other groups were, one that is all women and one that is men and women. All of them were very good and some of the men from Mike's group (The Parallel Fifths) were also in the men & women's group.
Old Apr 27 2011, 06:39 PM   #176
Rianne

my spelling was even worse last night than it usually is.
Old Apr 27 2011, 09:04 PM   #177
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Biggest snapping turtle I've ever seen in real life. The shell from front to back was about 18 inches and the head was about 2/3 the size of my fist. IN our back yard (there is a pond and a lot of woods at the bottom of our yard). The tail goes almost to the left side of the photo, and I don't know if you can see, but there were spikes on it, almost like a dinosaur or alligator! One mean looking creature. I did not get very close!

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=DSCN1420.jpg
Old Apr 27 2011, 11:16 PM   #178
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

He's a PRETTY baby, Cilla! But yeah, don't think I'd get too close if I didn't have to.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2011, 11:28 PM   #179
Sandi

Turtles do seem to wander this time of year. A lot of them get hit by cars.

We're having another round of violent weather. I've heard a house down the road has been damaged but so far all's good here. The power just blinked though so I guess I'd better turn off old compy!
Old Apr 28 2011, 12:01 AM   #180
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
We lost Loopy last night. She got very sick and we took her to the vet. He said that her skull was not growing, but her brain was. He keep her just to make sure that is was not a virus. Unfortantly there was not anything the vet could do.

I'm sorry to hear this Mawra.

At least during her short life she was loved and cared for by you and your hubby. RIP Loopy.
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2011, 01:37 AM   #181
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Biggest snapping turtle I've ever seen in real life. The shell from front to back was about 18 inches and the head was about 2/3 the size of my fist. IN our back yard (there is a pond and a lot of woods at the bottom of our yard). The tail goes almost to the left side of the photo, and I don't know if you can see, but there were spikes on it, almost like a dinosaur or alligator! One mean looking creature. I did not get very close!

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=DSCN1420.jpg
I recall our dog Penny cornning one mom snapper, she was only going to were she 'laid her eggs' in the middle of our gardan, she was quite big for just a kid, like me, I some how got her into a large bucket, and added some water from the well, to keep Penny from trying to 'protect her home', she did at first snap at me, but I didn't think I could carry her bucket and all safely down to the river, but she got warm up and snaped at me, miss me, I said to her, "Oop you are going to have try later mom snapper, and I got her to the bucket and all, after putting Penny in the house, and dumped her back in the river and told her good luck! She alway came to one spot in our gardern, so we try keep it open for her nest/eggs for they do like to eat 'bugs'
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2011, 11:12 AM   #182
Sandi

I don't know how much media attention is being given to the situation but the state I live in was hit very hard by tornadoes. Just stopped in to let everybody know I'm ok and my home is too. The area around the hospital I was recently in has been devastated and a lot of people have been killed and/or injured. We're no strangers to rough weather here but this has been extreme.
Old Apr 28 2011, 12:07 PM   #183
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It was a bad winter for snow, then lots of rain and flooding, now tornadoes. I'm glad you're safe. Nature proves to us once again that we may THINK we are in control, but no, we're not!
Old Apr 28 2011, 01:23 PM   #184
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: acorna's children second wave

Quote:
I don't know how much media attention is being given to the situation but the state I live in was hit very hard by tornadoes. Just stopped in to let everybody know I'm ok and my home is too. The area around the hospital I was recently in has been devastated and a lot of people have been killed and/or injured. We're no strangers to rough weather here but this has been extreme.
It was on the news here in Holland. it was a fearful site!!
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2011, 02:23 PM   #185
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

It's like where I used to live. I grew up in north St. Louis county. Every spring, the Mississippi and Missouri rivers would flood certain areas. Outside of St. Louis and St. Charles, there's an area called the Missouri Bottoms. All you have to do is look at the area, all these years after the last time things flooded, and pay attention. Not much grows there. There's never been any big trees, because of the flooding every spring. The area was flooded by the Missouri River.

They call the Mississippi "Ole Man River", but no one realises that the Missouri is a huge part of the legend of the river. The Missouri is where the Mississippi gets almost all the mud that made everyone down in Louisiana call it the muddy Mississippi. The Missouri was infamous in the old riverboat days as the treacherous river to navigate, and the paddle wheel boats were shallow draft boats.

Now man in his arrogance has decided that he has the Ole Man River under control. They've developed that whole Missouri Bottoms area. There's all sorts of industrial parks, and one very fine shopping mall, St. Louis Mills, out there. But I don't think they've beaten the River yet. It's just letting them think they have. I think some day, maybe sooner than later, in a very wet spring much like this one, people are going to wake up one morning and find everything out there under a few feet of water.

Then I'll just smile and sing "Ole Man River" as I walk away.
Old Apr 28 2011, 10:55 PM   #186
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

My Sister who lives in Mississippi also dodged the tornadoes, Hope all here dodged them as well, Another sister and her Husband retired from the Army corps of Engineers in Memphis Tennessee. They had a sign above the door on one of the boats that laid the river "control" matts along the banks of the river that said " Want to hear God laugh........Tell him you have plans for this River.
Old Apr 28 2011, 11:41 PM   #187
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We escaped the worst of the storm. There were tornadoes near us. Luckily nothing real close.
We thought we were going to have a bug free house this summer. Working doors and window with screens. The younger cats keep brining in their "toys/ snacks" inside. We keep telling them to leave their toys/snack outside, but, they keep brining them in.

Old Apr 28 2011, 11:44 PM   #188
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We don't usually have humming birds, but, Kibbie and I both have seen one out the front windows. We are very excited and are looking for our humming bird feeder.

Old Apr 29 2011, 12:36 AM   #189
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cilla...just saw your dinasour of a turtle, LORD I wouldn't get within reach of that thing either...he'd take one of your fingers or a toe right off with just one snap...you should call him *Dino* in honor of his ancient looks.

Old Apr 29 2011, 12:43 AM   #190
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Quote:
It was glad on the news here too. I'm glad to hear you're ok Sandi!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2011, 05:48 PM   #191
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Good to hear you are okay, Sandi. Yes, in contrast to the good old US of A we do get all the news of things happening there (while they usually hardly air any Euro news).

One of the important news items tonight was pres. Obama's visit to the disaster area.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2011, 09:14 PM   #192
Sandi

Yes, he was walking around in the general area where I used to do most of my shopping. It's hard to really explain what has happened, even with all the images that have been buzzing through internet and TV broadcasts. I've been listening most of the day to stories on the radio about amazing survivals and even more amazing efforts of people working together to help out.

One thing to remember is that it wasn't just the one tornado that day. There were lots of them. They came in two waves and I think a lot of people (including me ) thought that after the first wave blew through the worst was over. When I first heard the new warnings for the second wave I thought it was some kind of mistaken rebroadcast. In actual fact, the second wave was far worse than the first. My son-in-law was out with a chainsaw working on a house that had been damaged in round one when the new warnings were broadcast.

All things considered, it could have been a whole lot worse, bad as it was. I went out today and saw the path of one of the smaller ones a mile or so away from my home. It was astonishing the way it wove its way through wooded areas between homes (this is a rural area and the homes are spaced out.) leaving trees across yards and fences and the homes almost untouched. There was a damaged roof here, a crushed shed there, but the actual homes were still standing. Fortunately we only had a few smaller ones through here.

In Tuscaloosa and other areas they were visited by a monster that looked more like a movie version of a tornado than anything I have ever actually seen before. From a personal perspective, I'm not sure when I will be able to get back to the cardiologist. I think the medical building is still standing but there is no way to get to it at present. I don't consider that matter of paramount concern right now but I do wish I could find out whether the doctors and nurses I'd come to know are all right.

As to the other, we do hear news from Europe sometimes. I watch the BBC America most nights and even the networks had at least a little blurb about that shooting near you a while back.
Old Apr 29 2011, 09:23 PM   #193
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Today, what has been showing on TV here in the US is the Royal Wedding. It has been on all day, and right now PBS here in North Carolina (UNC-TV) is rebroadcasting the BBC coverage.
Old Apr 30 2011, 01:09 AM   #194
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

This morning we read all about the hideous tornados that have been reeking havic all over parts of the *South*...I haven't seen or heard about that kind of damage for a long time.

It's so difficult to try and imagine the kind of devastation that has happened to those families that have lost everything...one minute they had a home and all that went with that, and the next minute all they own is a huge pile of kindling wood and shredded memories. My family and I have made it through a 6.9 earthquake and all the aftershocks and the distruction it caused to our home...but all of that is all but nothing to the complete and utter devastation that these families are faced with....our thoughts and hearts, are truly with them.

Sandi I am very greatfull that you and your family are ok...hopefully you will find out the same about the Doctors and Nurses that helped you in the hospital. Please stay safe!

Old Apr 30 2011, 06:13 AM   #195
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Sandi, glad you live in a rural area with less stuff "to hit or be damaged" so to speak. Several hundred casualties is still devastating and an incredibly high number for a weather/storm/tornado like disaster, even if there were many.

As for the US not broadcasting Euro news I actually meant your US networks. That you can access special station or networks that give you news is a good thing but that's like us having access to CNN, Fox and the like.
It is your news and all world news that forms at least half of the news on our daily news broadcast as we realise very well that what happens in your country, africa, the middle east, the far east etc. is influencing our life and especially our commerce and trade. Sometimes the US people do not seem to realise that is the same (albeit maybe a little less, not sure about that, I am not an economist) for their/your country. Especially now the world leader role for the US seems to dminish (especially in the economic field) what happens in the rest of the world (especially China) will grow to be more and more important for all Americans, I feel. They may not like it but it's reality and a reality we in Europe have been experiencing for centuries already because our economies are always influencing each other and always have...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30 2011, 04:01 PM   #196
Sandi

Thanks for your concerns, Lin and Hans. It is strange how everything can change in a moment. I always said I could cope with weather (in fairness, I was thinking more about hurricanes) better than earthquakes but now I'm beginning to wonder.

Hans, I agree with you completely. That's why I make the effort to find out at least a little about what's happening in the wide world. It's true that a lot of Americans are so focused on their little part of the world that they barely notice what goes on in the next State, much less other countries. I think we'd all be better off if more people paid more attention to "the broad picture."

My antique compy seems to be having some sort of a problem. The "cup holder" (disc drive) keeps opening and closing. I do hope this is not the beginning of the end for my old friend.
Old Apr 30 2011, 04:09 PM   #197
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I wish the U.S. networks would cary more news from the rest of the world.

Kevia, I am glad to hear from you. N.C. also got slammed this year. I hope the tornatos were not too close to you.

Old May 1 2011, 03:16 AM   #198
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

We had to put one of our dogs down due to her attacking hubby and our "new" puppy last week. RIP Paws

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 07:41 PM   #199
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Sorry to hear that, Jube. It is hard to make that choice, even when it is needed.

Old May 1 2011, 07:50 PM   #200
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Mawra, none too close to us, but one of our son's lives in Cary and there was one tornado just a mile from his workplace while he was there. I'm just glad it was a mile away from him!