A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Petaybee and Acorna

Old May 11 2010, 12:38 AM   #1
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Here some I found at FanFic.Net!

http://www.fanfiction.net/book/Petaybee_series/

Glad to see it not lumped together. for we'er the Talents and Crystal Singers, I found one. Fan Fic lumped with Dragonriders of Pern.

I do have the second set of Book for this. Not the Power that Be ones.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2010, 04:13 AM   #2
eann
Firestone

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct
Default Re: Here some I fouind at FanFic.Net!

I started to go there and then thought, no, I probably don't need the grief.
eann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eann View Post
I started to go there and then thought, no, I probably don't need the grief.
No, you don't!

One was a clear breach of copyright - a repost of the song lyrics from the series, but I've submitted an abuse report for that one, so hopefully it'll be gone soon.

The other... meh. Nothing special, but it didn't make my eyes bleed or anything.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 06:16 AM   #4
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
No, you don't!

One was a clear breach of copyright - a repost of the song lyrics from the series, but I've submitted an abuse report for that one, so hopefully it'll be gone soon.

The other... meh. Nothing special, but it didn't make my eyes bleed or anything.
I wasn't too sure, and @ thanks for post the abuse report, Kath. Eann If I had the books to hand, I would protest on your and AMC behalf . at this for I know I don't have all the PTB books yet.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons

Last edited by GinnyStar; May 12 2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 13 2010, 06:12 PM   #5
eann
Firestone

Thanks for your concern, Kath. Did they claim the song lyrics were their own?
Old May 14 2010, 01:22 AM   #6
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

They didn't - they just reposted them, alongside nothing else beyond a note along the lines of 'They're not my work, but surely no-one will mind if I breach copyright like this?'

And it got taken down very, very fast.

Okay, a lot of authors have a huge problem with fanfic anyway, and would lump the whole site in the same illegal category - just look at all the drama from Diana Gabaldon and George R R Martin in the last week or so - but right now we're lucky and priviliged to be permitted to play in other authors' worlds, within certain bounds. On that site, authors can opt-out of allowing fanfic on their works, there's mature content boundaries, and the site has rules about originality of content. As a fanfic author myself, I'm well aware of the limited moral high ground there, but I think that treating the guidelines we do have with respect is the least we can do - even if 99% of the fanfic that results is, like everything else, crap. The gems and the fun all fanfic authors have there make it worthwhile looking after.

Last edited by Kath; May 14 2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old May 14 2010, 05:37 PM   #7
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Red face Re: Here some I fouind at FanFic.Net!

Quote:
Thanks for your concern, Kath. Did they claim the song lyrics were their own?
@ Kath and Eann and all MoMer's I wasn't too sure but then I wasn't too sure how to put it, writing is not my easy thing to do.

Why do you think I posted to here? I was sure, not having the original PTB books to hand, just the second set.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old May 17 2010, 04:48 AM   #8
eann
Firestone

Speaking strictly for myself, as long as they don't reproduce humongous parts of the book and GIVE PROPER ATTRIBUTION, I'm cool with people having fun playing in my worlds. I don't want to read it for the same reason Anne doesn't want to read it, because it's too easy to get accused of stealing THEIR work derived from YOUR work. Anne had to get tough about Pern fan fiction because of the movie companies and contracts and lawyers and stuff. Prior to that I don't think she cared one way or the other. I'm always pleased if something I do stirs other peoples' imaginations enough for them do do derivative stuff. When I was 11-15 I wrote stories with two or three other girls who were members of the Kingston Trio fan club with ourselves as the heroines and the Trio as the heroes. No serious romantic stuff, just flirty little adventures, but very daring for the time (late 50's to early sixties). So that was my stab at fan fiction. The songs in the PTB books are a combination of Irish tunes (mostly) and an Inuit poetry form from a translation I found while living in Alaska. Annie and I both did some of the ones in the books.
Old May 17 2010, 05:04 AM   #9
eann
Firestone

Default Re: Here some I found at FanFic.Net!

All that said, thanks, Kath, for looking out for our interests. If you and Ginny felt that there was violation occurring, I'm sure I would have as well. There is a LOT of copyright violation happening on the net and in general it does bother me--when my bead designs get filched and reproduced without purchase or attribution I get very shirty. I can't believe how much license people are able to take with recorded songs these days either--when I wrote THE SONGKILLER SAGA I wasn't even allowed to mention a line or two from a song without written permission from the songwriter, if there was one. Fortunately, I quoted most heavily from songs whose writers were friends or friends of friends. Being a folkie, that's not too hard to do since folk music is an ever smaller community all the time and Tania Opland has introduced me to as many or more wonderful musicians than I have introduced to her. I especially like that Freeman dude she hangs out with. Just to wander on about this for s minute, the Songkiller Saga was a spectacular flop commercially but personally it was great--I made friends with musicians I'd admired my whole life, got a personal tour from Joe Hickerson, who was then a librarian at the Library of Congress Folk Music Archives (the equivalent for me of you guys getting a tour of the Harper Hall) and was invited to a con in Virginia by Bob Zentz and even played a gig at Ramblin' Conrad's, the folk club he operated then. Have you all heard the version Tania did of my Take it to its Roots song I wrote for the book--I wrote the lyrics, described the tune and Tania absolutely nailed it. Anne has always written song lyrics for her books and you all know how musical she is. One of the things about songs and poems that is so cool is the compression of a very long story into a shorter dramatic one (not counting the 47 verse epic ballads we all so cringe to hear at filk sings--usually sung by the least accomplished singer there).
These days writing a proposal is such a chore because publishers virtually want you to tell them every detail of the book ahead of time. Personally, my mind doesn't work that way. Neither Anne nor I write from outlines. Both of us enjoy having the story tell itself to us in the process. But I was thinking, if I could just write a SONG about the book I want to write, then maybe I could expand the song into a short story and that into a novel--sort of like a zipped file but, er, less technical.
Shutting up now.
Old May 17 2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
All that said, thanks, Kath, for looking out for our interests. If you and Ginny felt that there was violation occurring, I'm sure I would have as well.
It was still in a bit of a grey area, as far as I was concerned. Yes, it was attributed... but generally, when one's quoting published text within the guidelines of 'fair use', one ought to actually USE the text in some way, instead of just re-posting it with no context...

Anne has always written song lyrics for her books and you all know how musical she is. One of the things about songs and poems that is so cool is the compression of a very long story into a shorter dramatic one (not counting the 47 verse epic ballads we all so cringe to hear at filk sings--usually sung by the least accomplished singer there). [/QUOTE]

You know, that's something I love about most of Anne's books too. Sometimes, authors take it to extremes, like Erikson's increasingly dreadful poetry in his Malazan novels, but Anne puts the poems and songs in when and where she wants them, and they actually fit the story at the same time - she hasn't stuffed herself into a corner where she feels obliged to crank out something increasingly oblique and impenetrable and totally unrelated to the actual plot like some other authors (*cough*Erikson*cough*) do.

It's also a fun thing to add to fanfic - I've had a great time writing Pernese Harper-style songs to go alongside stories; one day I'll have to transcribe the tunes that go with them as well.
Old May 17 2010, 10:49 AM   #11
eann
Firestone

Then they will be Pern filksongs. I don't think I've ever heard those. The only music I've heard from Pern is Tania's and Mike's and that lady that did the first album long long ago.
Old May 17 2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

You mean Julia Ecklar, Eann? That actually WAS filk

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 04:29 PM   #13
eann
Firestone

No, Hans. Actually, I haven't heard the Julia Ecklar Pern filk. Did she do some? I like her stuff and have quite a few of her cassette tapes (so you can tell it's dated) This lady's work was more symphonic sounding--I think she was a classical musician or something. I'm sort of thinking her name might have been Joann or Joanna but I am probably wrong. It was a long time ago.
Old May 18 2010, 02:48 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Joann Forman is the name that comes up but I thought she only wrote music and never made a cassette or album... ah yes, she wrote sheet music and the cassette you probably (?) mean is "Dragonsongs" by Kathleen and John Kinslight with Anne Eisfeller on harp and cover art by Virginia Black.

The photos in this thread show you the actual items: http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...ghlight=forman

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 03:22 AM   #15
eann
Firestone

Yes, it was Joann Forman I was thinking of. I didn't know about the other collection when it came out so it was kinda off my radar. I thought she did a cassette that I got--it was an early Norwescon or Westercon where I saw her perform I think.