A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Oct 8 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson
Default Talent Series Portrait #2: Dorotea Horvath

More coming soon to a forum near you!!!
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Talent Series Portrait #2: Dorotea Horvath

As portraits go this I like this one even better than the previous one.

The only, minor problem, I have is with the hair. On top of her head it is excellent but the hanging down part has a rigid/unnatural feeling? I also like the fabric of the dress, this is great work!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
As portraits go this I like this one even better than the previous one.

The only, minor problem, I have is with the hair. On top of her head it is excellent but the hanging down part has a rigid/unnatural feeling? I also like the fabric of the dress, this is great work!
Ah yes I was not liking that myself, but I'm short on Hair Meshes that were fitting for her particular hair style so I had to make due with what I had on hand. LoL

I may tweak it a bit later on when I'm finished with these next few renders coming up.

Thanks for your input sir, every little bit helps.

Surrealistically yours,

Maximillian
Old Oct 8 2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Brenda

I never pictured her with long hair - I see her with short, curled, silver-white hair. Like a grandma.

And since we only see her as a very small child or as a very old lady, I don't like the uniform; with the wierd hair it makes this pic look like something out of Star Trek!

I would change the clothes to make it reflect her mostly-retired status in PiF and PiS.

(I do love that you're doing this, it's just so very different from what the books put in my head!)
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I never pictured her with long hair - I see her with short, curled, silver-white hair. Like a grandma.

And since we only see her as a very small child or as a very old lady, I don't like the uniform; with the wierd hair it makes this pic look like something out of Star Trek!

I would change the clothes to make it reflect her mostly-retired status in PiF and PiS.

(I do love that you're doing this, it's just so very different from what the books put in my head!)
Actually that isn't a uniform she's wearing, and when dressing her I had to consider the time frame that we are talking about here. We know what we expect "grandmas" to look like in this era, but styles and fashions evolve and change. Also this is a portrait so I wanted something fittingly appropriate to the occasion.

Hair styles vary and evolve just as much as clothing, we must avoid stereotypes or we'll end up with cookie cutter characterisations of everyone we read about. While her hair is longer than perhaps you'd think, it would be in her habit to keep it tied back, especially whilst toiling in her gardens.

Thanks for commenting, please do keep sharing your ideas and thoughts, its very educational

Sincerely

Maximillian
Old Oct 8 2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I like the long hair, I always find long hair elegant on "little old ladies" perhaps because most do end up having it short and curly. I also like her outfit; as Hans mentioned the texture is really nice.

Her eyes are good; kindly and properly aged. The rest of her face doesn't show her age, and so it looks a bit off to me.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2007, 11:51 PM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Her eyes are marvelous!!!! I think her mouth needs some bit of adjustment. The creases on each side seem a bit too deep to me. (I draw a little myself I know it helps to get other opinions)
Old Oct 9 2007, 03:04 PM   #8
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

She looks fabulous, especially her ears. However, her lower face looks a bit too unwrinkled.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9 2007, 03:29 PM   #9
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
She looks fabulous, especially her ears. However, her lower face looks a bit too unwrinkled.
Quite right, they have excellent skin care in the future. :P
Old Oct 9 2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

This is marvelous...that you can do all of this only on the computer. I really like how the top part of her face looks...it is well aged for an older woman...but not so wrinkled that she looks ancient. I really like how you did her clothing, it is very elegant looking. Please keep up your lovely work, it is wonderful to get to see them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9 2007, 07:55 PM   #11
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
This is marvelous...that you can do all of this only on the computer. I really like how the top part of her face looks...it is well aged for an older woman...but not so wrinkled that she looks ancient. I really like how you did her clothing, it is very elegant looking. Please keep up your lovely work, it is wonderful to get to see them.
Ah dear lady, hearing praise from such a masterful talent as yourself is very humbling indeed.

I do thank you for your input and for taking the time to view my small contributions.

More will soon follow, and Afra is in the works. I shall find it highly amusing to see everyone's reactions to him. Especially those in his Fan Club. LoL
Old Oct 9 2007, 11:42 PM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
More will soon follow, and Afra is in the works. I shall find it highly amusing to see everyone's reactions to him. Especially those in his Fan Club. LoL
Yes!!! It will be very interesting to see your Afra and find out what the Fan Club think of him!
Old Oct 9 2007, 11:44 PM   #13
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I can't wait for Afra!

Wrinkles are very hard to do on the computer... I couldn't even get started on a face, much less make wrinkles.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2007, 05:21 AM   #14
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Wow! That's a great portrait.
Old Oct 10 2007, 04:41 PM   #15
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Interesting portrait, thanks for sharing

I have a different image in my head, but it's always fun to see others' perspectives, especially those talented enough to turn mental pictures into ones on the screen
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2007, 04:48 PM   #16
Sandi

Thanks for sharing these images, Maximillian! I wouldn't know how to begin to do something like that.

I am a grandmother. My hair color is what I call "transitional" and, while it is not really long it is certainly not short and curly. Many have tried to curl my hair over the years and only one ever succeeded. A week later about half of it fell out Needless to say my hair has been very straight ever since. Oddly enough both my daughter and granddaughter have very curly hair!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2007, 11:59 AM   #17
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

::looks around:: I could have sworn I commented on this before!

I like her, although I do agree the lower half of her face looks too young. Which is a difficult question to balance...Reidinger is described, to me, as looking someone in their 40s or 50s, and then we find out he's 110! So I could entirely see Dorotea as looking younger, from an intellectual standpoint. But my gut says the skin of her lower face is a little too smooth to match with the upper half.

When are you going to show us Reidinger or Afra?
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2007, 11:01 PM   #18
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

Cannot contain the excitement I am holding in for Afra. You do a wonderful job with the portraits Maximillian. Since I am not artistically inclined with a pencil, my thoughts on the matter really are irrelevant. There seems to be something itching me though about the upper lip...perhaps it's that excellent skin care regimen. haha. Looking forward to more!
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2007, 12:45 AM   #19
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portalvast Magus View Post
::looks around:: I could have sworn I commented on this before!

I like her, although I do agree the lower half of her face looks too young. Which is a difficult question to balance...Reidinger is described, to me, as looking someone in their 40s or 50s, and then we find out he's 110! So I could entirely see Dorotea as looking younger, from an intellectual standpoint. But my gut says the skin of her lower face is a little too smooth to match with the upper half.

When are you going to show us Reidinger or Afra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwina View Post
Cannot contain the excitement I am holding in for Afra. You do a wonderful job with the portraits Maximillian. Since I am not artistically inclined with a pencil, my thoughts on the matter really are irrelevant. There seems to be something itching me though about the upper lip...perhaps it's that excellent skin care regimen. haha. Looking forward to more!
Ah I have been neglecting my duties here it seems, I do apologise that I've been away for a bit of time, however I just want to reassure you that the renders for Afra et al are still in the works and I'll try and get something postable as soon as other obligations have been fulfilled

I thank you for your continued interest in my work and hope that you will enjoy them as much as I do making them.

Artistifragillistically yours,

Maximillian
Old Dec 19 2007, 02:43 AM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

Rest assured your absence was noted

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2007, 03:08 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Glad to have you back Max, and yes you were missed. I am also eagerly awaiting your next renditions of Anne characters.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote