A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Nov 29 2004, 04:17 PM   #41
LadyAria
Inactive

Default Re: Getting to know you...

I'm a single workaholic of 23 years, named Sheryl. Lady Aria being the fictional main character in a book i never got around to writing - everyone has one . I'm aspiring to be a mad scientist, got the mad bit down pat, working on the science degrees at the moment. Worked 4 years in bookstore before studying, stilll there part time. Have Collected over 500 books now- I "recycle" my pay Stumbled across Anne's books 11 years ago and have since read all but those still out in hardcover, including the romances. Spend my spare(?) time doing crafts and reading. Dabble in about 20 crafts all up. I'm an honourary aunt to three under 2s who belong to friends- great for a smile and laugh at the small things in life.
LadyAria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 11:41 PM   #42
Jesserli
Inactive

Hmm... deja vu.

Okay, me. Well, to start off, I'm a 17-year-old high school student who is currently applying to colleges (completed and sent 5, 4 more waiting to go, which only leaves ONE! Wahoo!). Add this on to schoolwork, a horse, heading the Tech crew, editor for the literary magazine, designing a set for the winter drama, national honor society, spanish honor society... you get one heck of a crazy life.

I'm horse obsessed and have an 11 year old appendix mare called No Exchange (this avatar is a picture I took of her eye) who I'm in the process of training for Three-Day Eventing - she's a bit stubborn and had several injuries and setbacks, so it's taken a while.

I adore science fiction, mostly the classics like Jules Verne, Heinlein, Asimov, etc. Plus Tolkien - but other than him, I only like one or two other fantasy authors. I also like Dickens, his contemporaries, Oscar Wilde, and a lot of the russian authors.

I started reading Anne's work in the 6th grade, and joined the KTL in January of 2001 (KTBB 5 months later).

I think that about sums me up?
Jesserli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 11:52 PM   #43
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Hi there Jess!! LTNS!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 05:32 PM   #44
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

well i'm Edith, or Edi, i'm 19 and am (fool that i am) a first year physics student at UW aberystwyth in rainy, windy, cold mid wales.
I'm 5'2", with shoulder length brown hairs and v thick glasses cos I've got complex lenses and very shrtsighted.
I've been reading Anne McCaffrey for about 18mnths now and have devoured all the pern books except Nerilka's sory, all the petaybee and freedom books, crystal singer and 2 brainship books.
I read, write and collect books for a hobby and am completely mad!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 06:18 PM   #45
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
I read, write and collect books for a hobby and am completely mad!
No wonder you fit in with the rest of us so well!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 07:26 PM   #46
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kater
Ooohh a fellow vertically challanged person

The vertically challange UNITE!

I'm 5'2"
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 07:38 PM   #47
Jesserli
Inactive

Quote:
Hi there Jess!! LTNS!!

Hey Kater! *grins*
Old Dec 2 2004, 08:13 PM   #48
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpura
Ok Devcca.. I'm 5 feet 1 and you?
think smaller. Like 59 inches exactly.
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 08:17 PM   #49
Devcca

Quote:
Ooohh a fellow vertically challanged person
I probably the smallest one here.(Adult wise)
Old Dec 2 2004, 08:21 PM   #50
Devcca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
The vertically challange UNITE!

I'm 5'2"
I'm not vertically challange... I'm tiny.. I still can reach like a gaint....
Old Dec 2 2004, 09:29 PM   #51
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devcca
I'm not vertically challange... I'm tiny.. I still can reach like a gaint....
Heheheehe Think tall as they say .... Me I just reach like a gnat

Old Dec 2 2004, 09:38 PM   #52
Pat
Inactive

Wink Re: Getting to know you...

Pat is really me. Some of you may know me as a host at KT and KTL.

(short aside here.......Jess!!! I can't believe you looking at colleges. Seems like you just started high school!!!!! )

I'm a retired Manager from a large insurance company in Philadelphia, PA., though I reside in New Jersey (just a hop, skip and a jump over the Delaware river). Been married for 31 yrs this yr., no kiddies but lots of nieces/nephews, great nieces/nephews (and more seem to be coming every month!! )

Started reading Anne's books in the early 1970s (The Ship Who Sang was the first, in fact...still have that copy too)...liked it a lot, went looking for more...and the rest is history!!!

Just after I retired, I found the old BB for Pern. When requests were made for hosting at the new WoAM site, I volunteered and have served as a host there since its inception. Meeting all the wonderful folks there has certainly enriched my life.

Hobbies: Reading, esp. cozy mysteries, but almost anything except romance, horror and true crime. I have a definite book obsession! Just ask my hubby!! Enjoy needlecrafts (knitting, crocheting, counted cross stitch); thanks to retirement...we do travel a good bit, seeing as much of the US as we can.

As to age, well, I'm older then Hans, but younger then Bob12 But definitely VERY young at heart!!
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 09:47 PM   #53
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Oh Pat another one from the Tri-State of PA, NJ, and DE!! We should have a get together sometime!! I was born and raised in Philly. We will be up there in a couple of weeks to see my parents and go to the concert on 12/17 for hubby's b-day! hehehehe... Love meeting people who have some of the same obses...er...um...hobbies that I do

Old Dec 2 2004, 10:17 PM   #54
Jesserli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat

(short aside here.......Jess!!! I can't believe you looking at colleges. Seems like you just started high school!!!!! )

I know! All done with applications, thank god. Now it's just waiting!
Old Dec 2 2004, 10:23 PM   #55
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesserli
I know! All done with applications, thank god. Now it's just waiting!
How many essays did you have to write Jess? Or don't you need to write essays for college applications anymore? Goodness I hated the essays! I'm glad I didn't have to do them this time around!

Old Dec 2 2004, 11:25 PM   #56
Jesserli
Inactive

Quote:
How many essays did you have to write Jess? Or don't you need to write essays for college applications anymore? Goodness I hated the essays! I'm glad I didn't have to do them this time around!
*ticks them off*

2 common app
2 cornell
1 oberlin
2 BU
2 Mt. Holyoke
3 Sarah Lawrence
2 St. Lawrence
1 Carnegie Mellon
1 skidmore
1 rutgers

Total: 17

Most were 250 words, but the common app was 500, The Sarah Lawrence was 500, the Carnegie was a page, the BU was 600, and the rutgers was 500.

I hated them beyond anything imaginable.
Old Dec 2 2004, 11:48 PM   #57
SecretFantasy85
Inactive

I'm glad I didn't have to write all that for my college....heh...I applied to one college and wrote one essay, which was basically the story of how I became christian (since my school is a private christian college) and I was accepted...but at least you'll have lots of choices if you get accepted by all those colleges won't you Jesserli?
SecretFantasy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 12:05 AM   #58
Jesserli
Inactive

Yeah, almost too much of a choice. I don't think I'll be able to decide! I doubt I'll get into Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, or Dartmouth (also applied there, but they didn't have an essay), and it's not likely I'll get into Oberlin. Which cuts it down to BU, Mt. Holyoke, Skidmore, Sarah Lawrence, St. Lawrence, and Rutgers. Rutgers is my safety, and I don't want to go to St. Lawrence (only reason I applied is my mother went there). Sarah Lawrence is a bit too close, which leaves BU, Mt. Holyoke and Skidmore. Bu is a conservatory, which means I'd have to give up horses. Mt. Holyoke is all girls, which I don't like, but I like it more than Skidmore. If I get into Cornell (the only one of the 4 difficult ones that I like), it makes it even harder. So it's a really tough decision.

Not that you all needed that analysis, but I just thought I'd share.
Old Dec 3 2004, 12:19 AM   #59
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Yeah, almost too much of a choice. I don't think I'll be able to decide! I doubt I'll get into Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, or Dartmouth (also applied there, but they didn't have an essay), and it's not likely I'll get into Oberlin. Which cuts it down to BU, Mt. Holyoke, Skidmore, Sarah Lawrence, St. Lawrence, and Rutgers. Rutgers is my safety, and I don't want to go to St. Lawrence (only reason I applied is my mother went there). Sarah Lawrence is a bit too close, which leaves BU, Mt. Holyoke and Skidmore. Bu is a conservatory, which means I'd have to give up horses. Mt. Holyoke is all girls, which I don't like, but I like it more than Skidmore. If I get into Cornell (the only one of the 4 difficult ones that I like), it makes it even harder. So it's a really tough decision.

Jess, a coworker of mine goes to Cornell.... and Skidmore is about a half an hour drive from me. There are riding stables in that area, and some decent cultural events..... Saratoga does a Victorian Stroll at Christmas time, and of course the races and all that jazz.... Also, Skidmmore was one of the first colleges in this area to host a Rainbow Club.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 12:29 AM   #60
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:

Wow. Good for you Jess! I hope you get what you want!

Old Dec 5 2004, 05:58 PM   #61
Bardmaiden
Muskie

Fan of: The Ship that Seached
Now Reading: I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

I'm 5 foot exactly
Bardmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2004, 06:53 PM   #62
Dux
Renegade

Quote:
Oh Pat another one from the Tri-State of PA, NJ, and DE!! We should have a get together sometime!! I was born and raised in Philly. We will be up there in a couple of weeks to see my parents and go to the concert on 12/17 for hubby's b-day! hehehehe... Love meeting people who have some of the same obses...er...um...hobbies that I do
Actually a Gather in PA is in the thought process for next spring or summer, last that I heard.

Hi I'm Dux, that's Risa in RL. I live in Northern Virginia with my hubby of 5 years and our two children - Ryan age 3 1/2 and Rachel, almost 2. I'm a stay at home mom now, but used to be a history teacher. I'm originally from Brooklyn, but have also lived in Tulsa, Buffalo and on Long Island before moving here.

I love to travel, although that has become difficult since the Little Girl arrived (no house can ever be truly Rachel-proofed ). We've been all over western and southern Europe, Turkey and throughout the Caribbean. We've travelled throughout our continent as well.

I was introduced to Anne's books while in college, by my sister. Whenever studying and classes became too rough I would escape to Pern, the Dinosaur planet and to her many other worlds.

BTW - thought it was a great idea to start a thread like this!
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 01:17 AM   #63
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Hi I am Dragonlady, Greendena on the KT, Dena in rl. I am 35 years old, book reviewer, mom of 2 highly imaginative boys (5 & 6 almost 7), book-a-holic, and mad. I have a BA in Liberal Arts with a minor in English and I am in the process of applying to Antioch's Low Residency Masters of Fine Arts. Once I complete my MFA in Creative Non-Fiction, I plan to rejoin the work force as a college professor in the Writing/Lit/Fine Arts department. I have enjoyed being able to stay home with my boys, but look forward to going back to school.
SF and Fantasy are my favorite genres, but I also love reading mystery, paranormal, historical, satire, classics, and books on Judaism. I am sure I am missing a few genres but those are the ones that come to mind.
Old Dec 7 2004, 01:57 AM   #64
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

I had to write an essay to get into university, to prove that I was capable of doing the work, so I wrote about the cataloguing project that I had been a part of, for six months, and the problems associated with it, and the solutions that had been come up with. I only got accepted the day before enrolment, so it was a mad scramble to get on a bus that took well over eight hours, and I ended up bloody cold and on the doorstep of a new life.

I hope you like college, Jesserli. It changed my life to go to uni, and college may do the same for you.

Good luck and good on ya...
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 05:38 AM   #65
kitsch
Inactive

Well I am Kitsch (durr) and I live in England on the South West coast with my fiance and cat (black and white Suzy). I am 29, 30 next year (gulp) and studied Philosophy at university. I work as a PA in a domiciliary care company and also sit out on reception which I loathe as I have to smile and be polite to the general public

I love reading, pootling around on message boards, shopping, cats and films. My favourite book is Lord of the Rings and I loved the films of the books (can't wait for the extended edition of RoTK ) I have short blonde hair blue eyes and suffer intermittently with eczema, which knocked my confidence for six through a lot of this year when it got onto my face.

I am also a Lush-a-holic.
kitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 08:00 AM   #66
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsch
*snip*

I am also a Lush-a-holic.
Whats a lush-a-holic???

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 12:11 PM   #67
Vilkacis
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
Whats a lush-a-holic???
At a guess, she likes products from Lush - they do handmade cosmetics in lots of scrummy scents.

http://www.lush.com/
Vilkacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 01:02 PM   #68
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

my aunt took me into the shop in Birmingham UK and they smelt so--edible!
Big round cakes of soap in loadsa coulours and scents
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 03:09 PM   #69
H
Curlycorn

Fan of: Talents & The Hive
Red face Re: Getting to know you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardmaiden
I'm 5 foot exactly
now now sweetie ... i know for a fact you only have 2 very cold feet for me to worry about .... unless of course you have managed to successfully hide the fact that you are a serial killer from me and that you collect the feet from your victims .....

... hmm it all seems to make sense now ..... *backs away very carefully* ....

H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 03:15 PM   #70
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

sigh....

I've been avoiding this, but there seems nothing left to post about, so here goes

Hi. I'm the one you knew as "Ryu" at the Old KT site. I'm a dragon. I'm fifty-foot long snout to tip. I'm a male Gold (I'm not one of your Pernese enhanced natives... God, how I hate having to explain such a basic biology feature to a buch of....)

oh

you want that other information

*puts on *

Ok, I'm what you knew as "Ryu" at the Old KT site. My disguised name is Terrell. My **** has me traveling about the world, doing computer installations and maintenance for the US G people. Currently, I'm station in a natural bowl which should've been a Weyr called Mexico City, where some bunch of idiots decided to build a city, then another bunch of idiots came and trashed the place and built a bigger city--- never mind the volcanos, they're just landscaping features I've got an outlook at times & it often shows but I always have fun about it

I like , & go when I see other. I like to eat but not necessarily in that order

I'm writing my own original fiction & hope to get published someday--if I can ever get this bloody "short" story finished(I swear this thing's the longest "short" since Anne's Weyrsearch)

Oh, one more thing:

¡¡¡¡¡I WANT MY PERN-TV!!!!!
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 03:58 PM   #71
Shani

A bit lounder Ryuu, I don't think they heard you over at Wolfegars
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 04:05 PM   #72
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

I think he would like his Pern TV.

I'd prefer a widescreen one, myself.
Old Dec 7 2004, 04:48 PM   #73
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani
A bit lounder Ryuu, I don't think they heard you over at Wolfegars
Gladly! tell Cheryl to up the volume on the size-thingy
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 04:57 PM   #74
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu
Gladly! tell Cheryl to up the volume on the size-thingy
*ears still ringing from the shout*

Not bloody likely!

So, if you join another board, will you become Ryuuu?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2004, 01:22 AM   #75
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
So, if you join another board, will you become Ryuuu?
Wha about Ryuu II...? Then we can see Ryuu III: 3D....
Old Dec 8 2004, 05:20 AM   #76
Mary

Hello Guys,

I am Clamball, butterball and a very boring RL name. I live in Ireland where I work full time as a food technologist in the dairy (cows) industry. I have had the pleasure of meeting Anne in RL at her home in Wicklow. (The advantage of living in Ireland). I am married with two small children, two girls 5 and 3. They are cute, blond and very chatty so life is busy. With hubby working shift and access to the net at work and at home (just went Broadband) I have time to surf and chat.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2004, 12:04 PM   #77
Lara
Whacky Wordsmith

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Hello. I'm Lara, short for Larissa (my mother was reading Dr. Zhivago when I came on the scene ) I'm a student of Modern Languages at Grenoble University. I like classical music, reading (especially in English and Italian), swimming, skiing and animals. I miss my dog and three cats, which I can only see during the holidays now. I've been reading Anne's books since I was 12, first in French and then in English. My favourite series are Pern, Petaybee, Freedom and Doona, but I read them all. I'm not so fond of the romances though.
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2004, 05:23 PM   #78
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Hiya Clamball, hiya Lara!

Welcome aboard.

Watch out for C_ris... he can get frisky and bounce around the room.
Old Dec 8 2004, 06:13 PM   #79
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
Hiya Clamball, hiya Lara!

Welcome aboard.

Watch out for C_ris... he can get frisky and bounce around the room.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9 2004, 02:11 AM   #80
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Is this turning into a C_ris bashing Tread??

If that's so, can I join in the fun??

<Picks up large I-Beam>

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rhodalle