A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Dec 2 2006, 01:51 AM   #1
tameeria
Inactive

Default Age of Fire series by E.E.Knight

Has anyone here heard about or maybe read the first volume in the Age of Fire book series by E.E. Knight? I was wondering if it's something to put on the Xmas wishlist. The second book is coming out this month and from the descriptions it sounds interesting. Apparently it's high fantasy, but told entirely from a dragon's point of view. From the summaries, it sounds like each book in the series starts with a hatching and then follows a young dragon in a coming-of-age kind of story.
tameeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Carter
Journeyman

Default Re: Age of Fire series by E.E.Knight

Just coming to this thread. I'm reading the second book (Dragon Avenger) now (haven't gotten the first yet {Dragon Champion} - it's on order at the local book store). It's kinda fluff reading, but I really like it so far (I'm about half way through it). Apparently, they aren't "you gotta read'em in order" stories. More Chronicles of Narnia, in where each book stands alone. Either that, or it's written so well it almost seems like a stand alone book.

I've put Eragon down to read this, if that tells you anything.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2007, 01:35 PM   #3
iPodKillerZ
Inactive

Fan of: The Rowan series
Now Reading: Dragon Champion

The first book, if you haven't gotten a hold of it yet is amazing. I'm currently reading it right now. I pulled it off the shelf as a fluke. i read the back as i always do and it sounded interesting and then i opened it. I have never been so quickly pulled into a book before...well the Rowan pulled me in immediately too but that was some many years ago. I had to buy it, now i'm a slow reader but this book took a day and a half for me to read(had to work it in around work). Yeah it's not the most complex read out there but it flows smoothly and is just amazing.

^^ proally the last you'll hear from me i was doing a search to see when and if a third book will come out and google lead me here ^^
iPodKillerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Carter
Journeyman

Just saw that Amazon has the third one available for pre-order. It will be released Dec. 4, 2007. You can also see the cover art - I like it, and it keeps with the cover art "theme".

Dragon Outcast pre-order

Dragon Outcast cover art
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2013, 01:56 AM   #5
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

This a bit of an old thread - all six books are out now; the last was released in December 2011 - but I've only just gotten into these series - noticed them a while back but only just managed to track them down from the library. I've ordered the whole series online and I'm only waiting on the last book now, which is fairly annoying since I've read the rest and anxiously want to know how it all turns out in the end! The first three books - Dragon Champion, Dragon Avenger and Dragon Outcast - are coming-of-age stories for three different siblings of the same family and are written entirely from the perspective of one of the siblings (and overlap to some degree), while the latter three - Dragon Strike, Dragon Rule and Dragon Fate - alternate between characters.

I think the third book - Dragon Outcast - is my favourite of them all so far; the settings and characters are just awesome (it's a pretty vague description, but I don't want to spoil anything). I'm in the midst of re-reading them all so I can write wiki pages for them all, and I've just started Dragon Outcast for the second time...should be fun!
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29 2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Canker
Curlycorn

You are going to be disappointed in the last book . Mr. Knight really didn't seem to give a rats ass about the last book and it felt like he just threw something together to get it over with.
Canker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2013, 10:30 PM   #7
Almaron
Weyr Harper

I dunno about that; it might not have been as good as the earlier books - certainly I'll have to re-read as I think I missed a few things - but I still enjoyed it! Course, I was aware that the last book wasn't meant to be as good, so I guess that improved my overall opinion of it.
Old Mar 2 2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

I bought and read the whole series last year and enjoyed it as a whole. The first books detailing the individual dragon brothers and sister were the most enjoyable for me, with the last three books just trying to bring the series to a conclusion. I had to push myself to finish the last book, but kept at it to have completion. It was fun to be inside the head of a dragon!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Almaron
Weyr Harper

I read somewhere that E E Knight's toying with the idea of a prequel with NooMoakh as the main character, which would involve Anklamere and his rise and fall from power. Here's hoping he gets around to writing it.

Funny...reading Dragon Outcast made me watch "I, Claudius" all over again, because as I was reading it I noticed that quite a few of the dragons of the Lavadome Imperial Line seemed to be quite similar to several ancient Romans (at least, as they are portrayed in I, Claudius, which isn't 100% accurate).

MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW!

For example;
*Both rulers (Augustus Caesar/Tyr FeHazathant) have married for a second time, and their consort (Livia/Tighlia) is secretly plotting to ensure that one of their relatives succeeds to the throne (Tiberius, her son/SiDrakkon, her brother) after him.
*The ruler's consort took action against rivals to ensure that her plans would succeed; using poison on one (Agrippa/AgGriffopse) and working with a relative (Livilla/Enesea or Imfamnia) to frame another for attempted rape (Postumus/DharSii or NiVom), before ultimately killing her husband.
*The ruler's successor displayed perverse lusts (Tiberius was a paedophile/SiDrakkon had a fetish for human females) and was eventually murdered by their chosen successor (Caligula/SiMevolant), who was a bad, if not worse leader.

There may be more, but that's all that springs to mind at the moment.
Old Jul 8 2014, 04:24 PM   #10
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
It was fun to be inside the head of a dragon!
It sure was!

I really enjoyed this series. Of the three main characters, Wistala was my favorite, so, naturally, Dragon Avenger was my favorite book of the series.