A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Feb 4 2014, 10:30 PM   #1921
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: What is happening

Oh my goodness! That sounds awful and painful! It's good you are home and I hope you can get the shower and the physical therapy soon.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2014, 12:14 AM   #1922
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Delia, that's scary, I hope the insurance responds very soon and for a quick healing.

I agree about watching sports of T.V. and even going to games most of the time.

P'ter, that is a great quote.
Old Feb 5 2014, 12:29 AM   #1923
Delia
Threadbait

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: Dragonwriter

Just got the call that I'll get my shower tomorrow morning. Sometimes it pays to make a pest of oneself.

I knocked myself out for a few seconds, but the CT scan was clear. Everyone who knows me can tell you how hard-headed I am; now I have proof. I'm also fiercely independent and try to get myself out of any situations I get myself into - preferably before anyone else knows I've gotten into the situation. This time, though, as I lay there tangled up in the wheelchair, I realized that I wasn't getting out of this by myself, so I hollered for help. Fortunately a pool guy was just getting out of his truck next door and the whole 911-ambulance-hospital thing was put in motion, and the neighbor called my roommate who had to leave her job to come to the ER and bring my purse with my phone and ID.

So many people and all that activity - I'd far rather have just climbed back into the wheelchair and gone off to whimper over my sore arm in private. But, I can't complain that the Ortho doc pinned the bone together so it heals faster. I'm hoping to be back to w2ork in another week and a half. I'm going stir-crazy.
Delia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2014, 04:41 AM   #1924
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Cheryl,
Let's hope that will do it and poor G will get some sleep and better in the process.

Delia *eek*
That must have been painful and scary add to that the slowness of the insurance and you must have had a pretty bad time. Glad to see you back! I wish you a good recovery! (((hugs)))

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2014, 12:30 PM   #1925
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Hopefully with meds the headaches will come to an end, Cheyrl

I hope you have a speedy recovery, Delia. My mother has fallen a few times, she had to have someone pick her back up, that was before her stroke. Apparently getting off the ground is a 2 legged thing.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2014, 02:28 PM   #1926
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

For our birthdays my husband and I are giving each other IPhones. We've been dragging our heels with our old, non-internet phones but the kids said it would be a good idea for our May trip to Disney so we can get weather reports and check wait times on our favorite attractions.
Old Feb 6 2014, 09:14 PM   #1927
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Cool

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Feb 7 2014, 10:08 PM   #1928
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Delia - That is scary! I'm glad there was someone in earshot when you yelled for help. And good job being the squeaky wheel to get what you need as soon as possible. I hope your recovery is speedy.

For my son, there is no improvement in his headache yet, but we are getting his sleep under control with the daily maintenance drug that has a side effect of drowsiness. And hopefully as it builds up in his system it will help more with the headache. But we may have to go back to the ER for IV meds to break this headache, if we don't get there in the next couple of days.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2014, 10:29 PM   #1929
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I just found out that there is going to be a tribute to Anne, hosted by Todd at Mysticon later this month, which we are going to.

There will be several writers workshop as well. I am hoping to get the first chaper, at least, edited before then. Maybe someone would be will to look at it & tell me if it is good of not.

http://mysticon-va.com/

Old Feb 7 2014, 10:57 PM   #1930
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
For our birthdays my husband and I are giving each other IPhones. We've been dragging our heels with our old, non-internet phones but the kids said it would be a good idea for our May trip to Disney so we can get weather reports and check wait times on our favorite attractions.
Disney in CA or FL?

Cheryl, he'll be in my thoughts for the meds to kick in. I know the pain of a long term migraine. My heart goes out to him.

Mawra, what's it about? Enjoy the con.

Delia, glad you were a squeaky wheel. Here's to a quick recovery.

Return to work which keeps the sadness at bay. I'm glad my mom is no longer in pain but I miss her. In some ways, I am surprised. I love my mom but she was not always the easiest person. The other day, while driving, I told her that if she was listening she should have a good laugh on me because she was right "I miss her". She use to tell me I would miss her when she was gone and I thought she was wrong. I was wrong. Thanks again everyone.
Old Feb 7 2014, 11:19 PM   #1931
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We're going to DisneyWorld in Orlando. Can't wait! I'm already organizing what to take.

I think what I missed about my mom (who died 5 months after our daughter was born) was that she would have been a good grandmother and it is sad that neither of our kids got to know her. She was also not the easiest person, towards me. There have been many times I have wished she was here because she would have been proud of what her grandchildren have accomplished.
Old Feb 8 2014, 01:40 AM   #1932
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

We've been to Disneyworld. Don't miss the Haunted Hotel.

One thing about the parks; you can get a ticket for a ride that gives you the time you can just walk on without standing in line. Free service, and it sure beats standing in line for half an hour. Or more. Hope you have or get the park hopper passes. Only the Disney Shopping park is free.

Have fun!
Old Feb 8 2014, 08:00 AM   #1933
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Well, this will be about our 10th visit to the parks so I think we're ready. The Haunted Mansion is a favorite, though. We're definitely getting park hopper passes and fast passes when at all possible. Test Track was closed two years ago at our last visit (changing which car manufacturer runs it) so we're curious to see how it will be different. Last time we tried the two meals a day meal plan and will be doing that again.

Thanks for the advice. You would not have known we've been before since I didn't say in the previous post.

edit: I just realized you may have been referring to the Tower of Terror ride! Oh no. I have never been on that and have no interest. Last time we were there the "kids" tricked me into going on the Rocking Rollercoaster, telling me it doesn't go upside down. Yeah, right. I have been on Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain Railroad is another favorite.

Last edited by Priscilla; Feb 8 2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old Feb 8 2014, 10:33 AM   #1934
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

My book is about a woman who along with her two collies get transported to another realm. In order to get back they have to find something that was lost. The M.C., Ruth, starts out as weak pain in the rear end, by the end she matures into a much stronger person. There is a prophecy that say she will travel with, the two collies, a dragon, unicorn, gryphon & an elf.

I have been to Disneyland in Ca. a couple of time. I would love to go to Disneyworld in Fl. I want to do the animal part. I would love to stay in the animal world, not sure of the name, hotel.

Old Feb 8 2014, 10:35 AM   #1935
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Trying to staple plastic in place upstairs has killed my hands. The left one is getting very numb very quickly when I am on the computer.

Old Feb 8 2014, 10:43 AM   #1936
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Hopefully the plastic helps keep some of the heat in!
Old Feb 8 2014, 11:33 AM   #1937
Allen

Quote:
Well, this will be about our 10th visit to the parks so I think we're ready. The Haunted Mansion is a favorite, though. We're definitely getting park hopper passes and fast passes when at all possible. Test Track was closed two years ago at our last visit (changing which car manufacturer runs it) so we're curious to see how it will be different. Last time we tried the two meals a day meal plan and will be doing that again.

Thanks for the advice. You would not have known we've been before since I didn't say in the previous post.

edit: I just realized you may have been referring to the Tower of Terror ride! Oh no. I have never been on that and have no interest. Last time we were there the "kids" tricked me into going on the Rocking Rollercoaster, telling me it doesn't go upside down. Yeah, right. I have been on Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain Railroad is another favorite.
Are you planning to hit Universal Studios while you're there? It's been quite a few years since we were at both, but I really enjoyed both. When it comes to rides, I LOVE the big, fast, go-every-which-way coasters. At Universal I rode The Hulk twice, back to back. There was no line, we got off and went right back on again. SpiderMan was a great 3D illusion ride. My middle son started getting a little sick on Hulk, and SpiderMan finished him off.

If you don't like the Tower of Terror or Rockin' Rollercoaster, then don't even bother going to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. More coasters there than anywhere else in the world. The biggest majority go upside down. Mantis even goes upside down while you ride it standing up. My personal favorite doesn't go inverted, though. It's Top Thrill Dragster. 0 to 120+ mph in just under 3 seconds. Then it goes vertical for over 30 stories. Then right back down, with a twist, and back to the start. Whole ride takes about 17 seconds.
Old Feb 8 2014, 11:40 AM   #1938
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Trying to staple plastic in place upstairs has killed my hands. The left one is getting very numb very quickly when I am on the computer.
I went to a pawn shop and got an electric stapler for $7 a few years back. It uses the same staples as my hand stapler. Lots less effort. With all the insulation I have and had to put up, even I wouldn't have been able to move my hand by now.
Old Feb 8 2014, 11:54 AM   #1939
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We've been to Universal a couple of times. We aren't planning on it this time. However, because of their work schedules our kids and their SO's are going at a different time than us, late June. All of them love roller coasters so they will definitely be spending a day or two at Universal.
Old Feb 8 2014, 12:56 PM   #1940
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I would love to take Hubby and Kibby to Sea World. They would love it.

Old Feb 9 2014, 03:57 PM   #1941
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Quote:

I think what I missed about my mom (who died 5 months after our daughter was born) was that she would have been a good grandmother and it is sad that neither of our kids got to know her. She was also not the easiest person, towards me. There have been many times I have wished she was here because she would have been proud of what her grandchildren have accomplished.
I understand that. My mom was a wonderful grandma and she was so proud of them.

Allen, I love the fast and crazy rollercoasters too.
Old Feb 9 2014, 06:47 PM   #1942
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

My Dad died long before Kibby was born, I miss the fact that he never got to see her, or any of the grandkids, except for Jeremy. Now Kibby does not have any grandfathers still alive.

Old Feb 10 2014, 05:06 PM   #1943
Zelandeth
Firestone

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Today I mostly...

Went to the dentist second time in four days...Have to admit that while it was still an unpleasant experience having a filling (combination of very sensitive teeth and the lowest pain tolerance in the world), that my new dentist has instilled a little more confidence and helped alleviate the mortal fear that had started to take hold over the last few years. He's a huge amount more gentle than my previous dentist, and seems to take far more pride in his workmanship. So we'll see how things go. Sadly I've historically had problems with fillings tending to fall out after a few years, so seem to end up in the chair more often than I would like!

The last two visits prior to moving to this dentist were two of the most painful experiences of my life as the nerve blocker on both occasions appeared to do absolutely nothing, and left me having nightmares for weeks. ...and again last week when I lost a filling so had to book an appointment. Hats off to this guy though, repair to that one was almost entirely painless, as was the new one he did today.

Still waiting for news on the mortgage! Though apparently they're happy that they have all the info they need now. Fingers crossed we'll hear soon and that we get positive news.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2014, 11:16 PM   #1944
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I THINK I have gotten Kibby's centaur's costume back legs where they will stay put. At least long enough for the competition. I still have a lot more work to do on it, or I should say we have. She is helping me.

Old Feb 12 2014, 12:56 AM   #1945
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Zelandeth, good luck with the mortgage, may all go smoothly. I am so glad you found a gentle dentist. That is one thing I am very grateful for is our dentist. He is very gentle and the boys have no fear of going.

Mawra, I need to hire you for future costumes. Seriously, look forward to hearing about the competition.

Most of the time, I am too busy and life goes on but here and there it hits me and the tears threaten usually when I'm driving. Otherwise, I'm making peace with the teenage process and finding ways to be positive about it or using "dark, satirical humor" to keep myself my type of "crazy".
Old Feb 12 2014, 01:07 AM   #1946
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

This costume is driving me BONKERS! I will have lots of time to work on it. We are suppose to get up to 15 inches of snow tomorrow.

Old Feb 12 2014, 01:14 AM   #1947
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Why is it that when on thing breaks something else has to as well?

We have problem with our water, not sure if plumping or well pump problem. Not out refrigerator is has decided to go out as well. If we can't get someone down tomorrow it will be several days, maybe an week before anyone will be able to come.

The refrigerator is still under warranty and we managed to get an appt. for a person to come tomorrow. Hopefully before the snow starts.

Old Feb 13 2014, 07:23 AM   #1948
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

If he can't come before the snow starts: use the snow to keep things cool, bury them!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2014, 09:26 AM   #1949
Cheryl
Master Archivist

This week has been an adventure so far and the adventures are continuing. Because the new meds hadn't broken my son's headache after a week, his neurologist sent us to the ER on Monday to try a new drug via IV (called DHE). That brought his pain lower but not gone so he was admitted to the hospital for a protocol of continued doses of DHE along with a couple other drugs.

He spent 48 hours total in the hospital; we came home yesterday afternoon with his pain level the lowest it's been in weeks, a 1 out of 10. Pain started rising last night, but he slept fairly good. Pain this morning is up to a 6/10, which means the hospitalization was for nothing as it was supposed to have gotten us past this headache.

The big US ice/snow storm started here last night around 7 pm. As of this morning we have over a foot (only 10 inches were predicted) and it's still going to snow all day and into the wee hours past when originally predicted.

My husband has been in the UK the past two weeks, and was due to finally fly home tonight but his flight has already been pushed back a full day due to the snow.
Old Feb 13 2014, 10:06 AM   #1950
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I think you have already gotten more snow than we are predicted to get. The fellow who plows our driveway (and mows the lawn in summer) was here with his partner yesterday with a backhoe to clear the snow at the bottom of our driveway to make room for more. I was talking to the fellow on the backhoe for a moment, he's been working for us since he graduated from high school at 18. He'll be 50 this year!

My best friend's husband is currently up at Bradley Airport supposedly with a flight out to Denver this morning. Depending how early the flight was he may just have made it.

I am so sorry to hear your son's headache is not gone. Terrible for him and agonizing for you, I am sure! I will continue to hope it gets all better soon!
Old Feb 13 2014, 11:59 AM   #1951
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

guy came out & fixed the refrigerator, all that needed to be done the breaker flipped off then back on again. Thankfully he did not charge us for the call.

Hubby's friend fixed the well's pressure switch and only charged us 40 dollars.

We now have both. We also have enough snow to cover a 2 litter bottle and a 5 gal. heated water bucket.

Old Feb 13 2014, 11:10 PM   #1952
Cheryl
Master Archivist

The day is ending better than it started. Just when I think I'm at the end of my rope, I discover it's longer than I thought.

G's headache has stayed at a moderate level, I got the first wave of snow cleared from the drive with the help from a neighbor with a snowblower, and the fresh snow which should be annoying me is gorgeous and peaceful.
Old Feb 13 2014, 11:11 PM   #1953
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

We need rain, while you are swallowed in snow, we are in a drought.

Cheryl, I hope the doctors are able to find something that works soon. *hugs* to you both because I know that pain.
Old Feb 14 2014, 02:55 AM   #1954
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

The dogs were funny today, they would take a few steps and fall through the snow. None of the four footed went out much. For that matter none of the two footed went out, except for Kibby who went out twice. Once to clean the settle light dish and once to try and get the goats chain loosened up.

Aries had decided to go out the window of his house, a camper shell, a couple of times and was to tangle to do much with it until it thaws out a little. He has food and water so I am not too worried about him. I gave him an extra layer of straw and extra hay as well. He should be nice and warm. It does not hurt that he has a VERY thick coat.

Old Feb 14 2014, 09:22 AM   #1955
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

My husband went in to work this morning (he went yesterday too). He sent me a text that an SUV in front of him spun out and that it was lucky he (my husband) had a car with good snow tires. People get in these big SUV's and think they can drive like it is summer all year round.

I hope you get Aries' reorganized, maw!

Schools are closed and the sun just came out. I was saying to Jenn we never closed when I was a kid. The bus company put chains on the tires and you WENT to school. Now, it is just getting stupid!
Old Feb 14 2014, 11:17 AM   #1956
Allen

Quote:
Schools are closed and the sun just came out. I was saying to Jenn we never closed when I was a kid. The bus company put chains on the tires and you WENT to school. Now, it is just getting stupid!
We lived on a corner lot when I was a kid. The street alongside our house was a hill, and in the snow, we'd ride our sleds on it. As we got older, we came up with new and different ways to improve the experience. One winter after a particularly heavy snowstorm, some of the kids got busy one night and managed to turn on a fire hydrant at the top of the hill. Not enough to melt the packed snow, just to make it into a thick sheet of ice. The school bus with chains (you saying that reminded me of this) got stuck trying to go up the hill. The wrecker they sent out fought for the better part of an hour trying to get the bus (and itself) free. But it sure was a fast hill for our sleds.

Oh, and these were real sleds, wood with metal runners, that you could steer and all, not these modern plastic tubs that are out of control.
Old Feb 14 2014, 11:35 AM   #1957
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh yes! Real Flexible Flyer sleds. Man, do I miss those days! Even "flying saucers" are made of plastic now.
Old Feb 14 2014, 01:01 PM   #1958
Allen

Living where I did (North St. Louis county), there were plenty of different hills in yards and other places where we could go sledding. With those old runner-type sleds, we'd have to pack down the runs, which consumed a little time, but led to some interesting runs, through bunches of trees and other obstacles, curves, and so on. Today those sliders just go...... fast, sure, but no control. No wonder the kids go flying off in all directions.
Old Feb 14 2014, 06:53 PM   #1959
Zelandeth
Firestone

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Was involved in a rear end shunt in the middle of a perfectly straight bit of road.

Pedestrian in all black clothing wanders out into the carriageway in front of me - I brake and stop about three feet short of them as they amble across the road. Just as I take my foot off the brake to start moving again, I hear and feel a loud thud through the car. Apparently the brakes on my 1989 Saab were more effective than the anchors on the 2003 Beetle behind me. Despite that they're the ones who had ABS, emergency brake assist, stability control and goodness knows what else. Really goes to show that it's more down to the squishy thing at the controls than the car doesn't it...

Thankfully no visible damage above or below my car, but I took a note of all the driver's details just in case for when I have the opportunity to examine the car in daylight when it's not tipping it down. Bumper mounts are all perfectly sound (including the crusty on in the middle that I keep meaning to weld a plate over), and it wasn't a particularly hard impact. So if anything's bent, imagine it's likely to be limited to the bumper bar itself which is at least easily replaced. Don't want to think what the Beetle probably looks like under the plastic cladding.

Thankfully the lady who was driving the Beetle didn't make any claims that it was anything other than her fault (I have that in writing), and handed details over without any fuss - if she hadn't, I would have got the police involved - which I imagine they would have done in short order anyway given that we were making quite an inconvenient road block in the middle of a main road - where there'd apparently been a three car pile up about half an hour before.

I've been down here for just over two months now - and have been hit four times (the first three being cyclists - two of which went into the back of my car when I was stationary at traffic lights with the handbrake on, the third managed to hit my driver's side wing mirror when he tried to squeeze between me and a parked car, while cycling the wrong way down a one-way street). I am seriously starting to lose patience with driving down here! Between lack of following distance, general impatience and the seemingly endless numbers of suicidal cyclists (I mean no disrespect to the sensible ones - I have a bike too!), it's getting downright terrifying to go out there.

Been driving 11 years all over Scotland...It really is a totally different ball game down here.

Seriously, seriously again considering installation of on board cameras in my cars. Had this been in the Skoda rather than the Saab I would most likely have been looking at significant damage, in a car for which parts are infinitely harder to find.

Most importantly though, me and my partner are perfectly OK, the car seems to be fine as well which is a bonus.

Tomorrow we're going out shopping - we'll be taking our housemate's company car methinks, and I'll be snoozing on the back seat!

Think I may well get the car checked out by a garage early next week just for peace of mind though.

Also think after the lecture I gave her that the lady might be giving a bit more consideration to following distances!

...Probably not, but I can live in hope.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2014, 07:26 PM   #1960
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Glad you're ok. My husband had an "almost" accident this morning on his way to work. People can't drive the minute there's any snow. An SUV in front of him spun out and slid directly across in front of him. Fortunately Jeff had good snow tires and knows how to take evasive action.