A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jul 13 2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping
Default Name that short story!

I can't remember if there is a thread like this, so am taking a chance and starting one up.

I'm hoping we can all help each other to find/ remember short stories or novels, the details of which we can recall, but the author's names/ name of the story/ novel escape us!

Here goes:

Can anyone help me with a short story? I read it about 10-15 years ago, in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (I think!) - it was about someone who had invented a time machine, and used it in the story to go visit Mozart at the very end of his life, and tell him that his music would live forever. The implication was that he would go to any number of artists etc. who died broke and let them know that their creations would survive the ages.

I can't remember the name of the story or the author, and am desperate to read it again.

Help, oh sapient ones!

Lanen
Old Jul 13 2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight
Default Re: Name that short story!

I'm afraid I have no idea about the story (although I'd like to read it ), but great idea for a thread
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Brenda

You might try contacting the magazine, if you remember which one it was...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14 2008, 04:07 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Seems she is not even sure of the magazine, bren

Lanen, do you happen to remember if the name Mozart was actually in the title or not?
I can find two short stories published in F&SF that have. Or can you remember any (other) word from the title?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14 2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

I've posted a YASID request over in rec.arts.sf.written - if they don't know the answer, no-one will!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14 2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Hans,

Sorry, can't remember a sodding thing about the title or the author, very unusual for me. I read it about the time I was getting divorced, so those brain cells are gone forever.

Might have had Mozart in the title, but I don't think so. At the time, I had a subscription to F&SF so was likely that, though did occasionally buy an Asimov's.
Old Jul 14 2008, 04:28 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

OK, it won't be it, but searching I came across Sabine Muir's boo "Meeting Wolfie" (aimed at younger readers, 9-12), of which the synopsis made me smile

Through computer magic, young Matthew from the 21st century finds himself transported to a cave and meets a young Wolfgang Mozart. They instantly become friends through the universality of being young boys that spans the ages. After a few adventures, they figure out how to get transported from the cave and Matthew goes with Wolfgang to meet his family in the time and place of Mozart's childhood. And then when it comes time for Matthew to leave and go to his home in his own time and place, Wolfie somehow gets transported while saying good-bye to his new friend.
Now Mozart is introduced to life in the 21st century, but the most important thing he learns is that people are still listening and loving his music. And what the reader learns along the way through this delightful tale is much about Mozart.
Sabine's characterization of Wolfie will be one to make you smile with amazement at her creativity as a writer and respect for Mozart's brilliance.
Such a delightful book will take its place on my bookshelf right next to Wooffer, by Betty Fasig. Both are highly recommended gifts for the ten to 100 year olds in a reader's life.

and gee, google IS fast

on my bit of search for today it immediately cae up with Kath's YASID query and the second result was this thread!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 14 2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Okay, first reply at rasfw has the following:

"This isn't an exact match for your description, but Ray Bradbury had a
story called "Last Rites" in F&SF Dec 1994, in which a character uses
a time machine to visit Melville, Poe, and perhaps others--I don't
remember if Mozart was one--for just this reason. "

Lanen, does that sound familiar?
Old Jul 14 2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

YES YES YES! That's it! You are bloody brilliant Kath! (Well, of course you are, you're an astronomer...) Just went on line this minute and bought a collection with that story in it, thank you thank you thank you!!
Old Jul 14 2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Don't thank me - thank the newsgroup!

For general reference - rec.arts.sf.written are WELL worth remembering as a resource for tracking down SF/F short stories (and longer novels), and easily accessible via google groups if you don't use any other USENET software. Here's how it usually works:

Topic title should be 'YASID: brief description of story here' (the YASID bit stands for 'yet another story ID'). Then, you just ask your question, with as many details as possible. Possible year of publication, when you read it, and cover art are all usual bits of information, as are the details of the story itself, or any memorable scenes. You never know what's going to fire off someone else's memory.

Anyway, I'll pop back and let them know that this was the one.
Old Jul 15 2008, 03:59 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Well done Kath and unknown newsgroup reader!

Old Jul 15 2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I was going to suggest you teach us the basics of making a YASID request at rec.arts.sf.written, but you beat me to it Kath! Thanks for that, and for being the go-between!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15 2008, 10:12 AM   #13
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

No probs.

One thing I forgot to mention - do go back and post more details if requested, and a thank you when someone gets it right, if only so they can keep their success statistics up to date! Oh, and browse the FAQs before posting, as some stories come up time and time again.
Old Jul 15 2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Brenda

I will have to remember this.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17 2008, 11:51 PM   #15
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Cool Re: Name that short story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Don't thank me - thank the newsgroup!

For general reference - rec.arts.sf.written are WELL worth remembering as a resource for tracking down SF/F short stories (and longer novels), and easily accessible via google groups if you don't use any other USENET software. Here's how it usually works:

Topic title should be 'YASID: brief description of story here' (the YASID bit stands for 'yet another story ID'). Then, you just ask your question, with as many details as possible. Possible year of publication, when you read it, and cover art are all usual bits of information, as are the details of the story itself, or any memorable scenes. You never know what's going to fire off someone else's memory.

Anyway, I'll pop back and let them know that this was the one.
Thank Kath, That would be a great spot to hunt for a few more works I tried track down but did get very far. If you happen to have a cover of the the image or just a general question would that be the place to look?

I have a few questions I know the work, who worte it, and a title of the short story. I know there are a few related short storied by her. and a few more other two.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18 2008, 04:17 AM   #16
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

If you've got the cover of a book, you've got the book details already and DON'T need to ask.

And for your second question, if you KNOW the work, author and title, you DON'T have a question to ask either.

Seriously, they're very helpful, but they do expect people to have done their own research first. Do not expect to be treated as gently there as you are here.... if you make the mistake of asking something obvious or easy to find, don't be surprised by the consequences.
Old Jul 18 2008, 04:37 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah... a good old fashioned usenetgroup

Old Jul 18 2008, 05:40 AM   #18
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Indeed. It's just as much of a community as this place, but much larger and rather different in style. As always, if you're going to dive into a new community, hang around and watch it for a while to get a feel for the place first. That, and read the FAQ!

Still, as far as story ID requests go, most people should be pretty safe with making those types of post...
Old Jul 18 2008, 05:56 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Good advice!

Say, Kath, were you a member of the alt.fan.pern group?

Old Jul 18 2008, 07:16 AM   #20
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Good advice!

Say, Kath, were you a member of the alt.fan.pern group?
Yeah, I used to subscribe to it, but (like many alt. newsgroups) it was really very low traffic. I doubt I posted more than a handful of times.
Old Jul 18 2008, 07:31 AM   #21
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

This whole newsgroup thing is new to me - I thought I was au fait with most of the net, but have never really taken part in a newsgroup. How do you find them, e.g. what is the URL? (I'm so ignorant...)

And thanks again for asking those good folks for me, Kath. I await, with bated breath, the arrival of my copy of the anthology with Last Rites Have also ordered a copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes, my fave of Bradbury's works, as I realised that my old copy must have disappeared along the way somewhere.
Old Jul 18 2008, 07:49 AM   #22
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
This whole newsgroup thing is new to me - I thought I was au fait with most of the net, but have never really taken part in a newsgroup. How do you find them, e.g. what is the URL? (I'm so ignorant...)
Wow, where do I start?

Usenet pre-dates most of the rest of the internet, I think. It's pretty well summarised at Wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet Just like you have an e-mail client that sends your e-mail to your e-mail inbox, you can use a newsgroup server (there's often one attached to your ISP) to send newsgroup messages to your local news reader. I generally read newsgroups using my emacs text editor, which Steve will no doubt be familiar with, but you can get plenty of other software to download newsgroups. You can also read newsgroups through your web browser by connecting to a mail archive service - google groups is the current main incarnation, but before that there was DejaNews.

Newsgroups, thanks to the limited bandwidth and text-only format, were the first to build up proper systems/styles of no-more-than-four-line signatures (with the correct .sig delimiter of '-- ' so that reply-software could strip it automatically when quoting), a habit of quoting what you're responding to (only the essentials, mind!), and bottom-replies.

Nowadays, someone new to newsgroups will most likely stumble across them via google groups - http://groups.google.co.uk/ [UK site for Lanen's benefit] There's one for every topic under the sun, but not all of them are very active. When I lived in Cambridge I read news a lot, particular cam.misc (for miscellaneous cambridge discussions) and the sf groups rec.arts.sf.written and rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan

Quote:
And thanks again for asking those good folks for me, Kath. I await, with bated breath, the arrival of my copy of the anthology with Last Rites Have also ordered a copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes, my fave of Bradbury's works, as I realised that my old copy must have disappeared along the way somewhere.
Oh, now that's definitely a good one!