A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Dec 5 2004, 12:23 AM   #1
Shani
Inactive

Default Robin Hobb

I've read 'The Farseer Trilogy' and just finished 'The tawny Man' Trilogy which all follow the same line of people.
Very good books, move along at a good pace and really got me in. Fitz is a likeable character, sometimes wanted to slap him one for being stupid but it just made him all that much more human.
Did I mention the dragons?

Really enjoyed these books and am now going hunting for other series by this author......
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10 2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Rho
Renegade

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: The Land of Painted Caves
Default Re: Robin Hobb

The Liveship Traders is my favourite trilogy. Set in the same world as Farseers, you may recognise a few people/places.

I believe Robin Hobb is writing something new, but can't remember anything about it
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12 2004, 02:35 AM   #3
Faren
Inactive

Fan of: Talent and Freedom Series
Now Reading: Invisible Prey, John Sandford

I"ve read the same ones as you, Shani. I enjoyed the Tawny man trilogy a lot more than the Farseers...that one made me sad.

Still looking for the Liveship Trader books, though.
Faren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12 2004, 04:17 PM   #4
Beisla
Northblue Spirit

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite authors!
In the top three, I mean!

I've read the Farseer trilogy, Liveship Traders and I'm in the middle of the last book of Tawny Man. So far I like Liveship Traders best, though they're all excellent!

Even though the second trilogy (Liveship) happens in a different place from the other two, it's very relevant to the whole story. The first series (Farseer) doesn't have much to do with the second, but the third one does. I have to say that the second book in the Tawny Man series totally gives away many interesting conclusions that happen in Liveship Traders, plus some of the secrets of the magics, which for me was one of the best surprises in the Livesip books. This is one reason why I'm very :irked: at the Finnish translators of the books: they've translated the first series and started on the third but skipped the second.

Yes, Robin Hobb is indeed working on a new story, which has nothing to do with her first three series. (So says her website.) Can't wait to read it!
Quote:
Q. What are you currently working on?
A. Can't talk about it. I'm sworn to secrecy

Seriously, I'm working on a new trilogy, with the very tentative working title of Soldier Son.
(Site updated August 25th)
Beisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2004, 08:16 AM   #5
Jax
Talent

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF

I loved all those trilogies - wouldn't mind buying the Farseer and Tawny man ones, I already have the Liveship ones.
I also would like to try the books she's written under her other name, Megan Lindholm but I haven't seen any to try! I really wonder why she had a complete name change....
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2004, 08:29 AM   #6
Rho
Renegade

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: The Land of Painted Caves

I've tried one Megan Lindholm. Very different style to Robin Hobb. I couldn't get into it at all.

Last edited by Rho; Dec 13 2004 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2004, 08:46 AM   #7
Beisla
Northblue Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax
I loved all those trilogies - wouldn't mind buying the Farseer and Tawny man ones, I already have the Liveship ones.
I also would like to try the books she's written under her other name, Megan Lindholm but I haven't seen any to try! I really wonder why she had a complete name change....
I have two of her Megan Lindholm books, The Raindeer People and Wolf's brother (short series).

I liked them all right, but not nearly as much as her Hobb books. As Rho said, the style is very different. That's the reason she gives on her site for writing under two different pen names: she writes books of two different styles.
Old Dec 13 2004, 09:28 AM   #8
Jax
Talent

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF

ok thanks for the extra info on that, still seems like a weird reason to me...
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26 2004, 11:20 PM   #9
Flinx
Inactive

Continuum 3
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2005, 08:40 AM   #10
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faren
I"ve read the same ones as you, Shani. I enjoyed the Tawny man trilogy a lot more than the Farseers...that one made me sad.

Still looking for the Liveship Trader books, though.
If you can't find them in the US, try one of the internet bookshops that stock the UK editions - the uk edition of amazon should stock them, or either chapters or amazon in canada (which'll probably have cheaper postage for you).
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2005, 10:34 PM   #11
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

need money for last book.

heard about new books I know the titles but not what they are about.

here's the titles of them
Soldier's son
Shaman's Crossing
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2005, 08:24 PM   #12
Dragonsqueen
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rho
The Liveship Traders is my favourite trilogy. Set in the same world as Farseers, you may recognise a few people/places.
I totally agree with you that they are great, but I had no idea they were set in the same world as the Farseers, I must read those ones now!
Dragonsqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2005, 03:37 PM   #13
Kate M
Inactive

Smile Re: Robin Hobb

I read the Farseer trilogy and loved it, but just couldn't get into the first Liveship book. Maybe I'll give them another go?!
Kate M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2005, 07:42 PM   #14
Brenda

For those like me who have only vaguely heard about this author, could someone tell a little about what these books are about, and which ones would be good to start with?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2005, 07:55 PM   #15
Beisla
Northblue Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda
For those like me who have only vaguely heard about this author, could someone tell a little about what these books are about, and which ones would be good to start with?
The books are dark-ish or at least serious in style. I'm really bad at describing books unless someone says what kind of things they want to know about.

Robin Hobb has three series so far: Farseer, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man. They're set in the same world, though the middle one in a different place from the other two; they're set in a chronological order and are best read that way, though they will make sense seperately as well.

The first book of the Farseer series is Assassin's Apprentice, and if you go here to amazon.com and click "search inside this book" you can actually read the first few pages of the first chapter and see if it looks interesting.
Old Jul 4 2005, 08:45 PM   #16
Dragonsqueen
Inactive

Well read two of the three farseer books, but man, the 3rd one was overdue bofore I had a chance to read it, and it was on hold, so I couldn't re-new it, well I guess I'll read it next time!
Dragonsqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2006, 04:32 PM   #17
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I just started reading the first of the Liveship Traders trilogy. Beisla lent it to me. :ok: It's brilliant, and the covers are fantastic, as they're drawn by one of my favorite artists, John Howe.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2006, 04:35 PM   #18
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

Hey, does that mean you and Beisla have been having a mini Nordic Gather without me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath
I just started reading the first of the Liveship Traders trilogy. Beisla lent it to me. :ok: It's brilliant, and the covers are fantastic, as they're drawn by one of my favorite artists, John Howe.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2006, 09:43 AM   #19
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I'm afraid it does Anneli. We live not too far from each other. Naturally you're welcome to join us if you're ever in Helsinki.

The book just keeps getting better the longer I read.
Old Jan 6 2008, 04:40 PM   #20
Mary
Inactive

I just finished the Farseer trilogy in the last 2 months. Those books are big and took me ages to read but I was totally hooked. Thanks for the tips Beisla about which ones to read next. I had bought the second book of the Tawny Man series and I was wondering if I should read that trilogy or the Liveship traders first. I was surfing last night for Robin Hobb formus to find out what to read next. I should have known to look here.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2008, 04:54 PM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I suggest you read the Liveship books first, Mary.

I'm positive you'll like those, the tawny man and the fool series, too!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2008, 07:51 PM   #22
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

what drew me to her books was the artwork on the 1st two farseer books. the artist is Michael Whelen
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2008, 04:05 AM   #23
Thea
Inactive

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I actually read the Liveship Traders first, and then the Farseer/Tawny Man trilogies, not realizing that they were out of order. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of them, though. Oh, and I'd thoroughly recommend them, too.
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2008, 04:49 AM   #24
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I was like you, Thea, read the Liveship books first then the Assassin and Fool books, but it didn't spoil anything. I only recently read the last one, Fools Fate. It was a well done conclusion to a long story, nothing was rushed and all explained. Satisifying to not see a rushed ending and all the loose ends well wrapped up.

If people are still looking for the three Kai and Vandian books she wrote as Megan Lindholm I have an omnibus edition buried in my bookcase (can't get to it right now, sorry) but from memory it is called The Windsingers and the first one is called Harpies Crossing or similar, and the last is called The Limbeth Gate, which I have seen around as a single paperback in second hand shops. They relate three stories about Kai, a wagoneer who's husband and children were killed by harpies. In the first she takes on a hitchhiker named Vandien and together they struggle to cross a mountain pass. In the second they end up in a sea-side town and are hired to rescue a 'treasure' from a city lost under the sea that can only be reached at very low tide (something similar is seen in one of the Fool books I think) She manages to do it and the treasure turns out to be not gold but a relic important to the windsingers (I wont spoil what it is!) A side story here involves a wizard that has crossed the windsingers and windsinger politics. This is where I wish she had elaborated. Third book is mainly about Kai, who is sent through to a parallel universe as a revenge by one of the windsingers she has inadvertantly crossed. Vandien has to go through the Limbeth gate to follow and rescue her. I really liked them and wished she had written more in that universe, the Windsinger culture was fascinating and there was so much hinted at that wasn't explained in full. There is good writing here, but she really hit her stride with the Farseer trilogy which followed after.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8 2008, 06:31 PM   #25
Mary
Inactive

By chance I bought the Twany man series but I am going to do some other reading first and then the Live ship book next.
Old Jan 10 2008, 12:43 AM   #26
murphy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz the Golden View Post
what drew me to her books was the artwork on the 1st two farseer books. the artist is Michael Whelen
It was the same for me. I was disappointed that Whelan only did the first two books. For the most part, the books that he does the cover for are always a worthwhile read.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2008, 09:20 AM   #27
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I was in a bookshop today and found one of the Windsinger books and it reminded me there are actually four of them! And they're still in print. They are (correctly spelt)

Harpies Flight
The Windsingers
The Limbreth Gate
The Luck of the Wheels

Upon the reading the last title it reminded me that I actually have that book tucked away somewhere, so guess what's going to get pulled out when I finish my current book!
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2008, 11:44 AM   #28
Windylee
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: rereading Dragonsong

I loved the Liveship Trader series. I couldn't put the books down once I started reading them.

I didn't know the other two trilogies were set in the same world. Are there dragons in the 'Farseer Trilogy' and the 'Tawny Man Trilogy'?
Windylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2008, 12:09 PM   #29
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Certainly in Tawny Man.
Old Jun 17 2008, 03:20 PM   #30
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

The dragons from the Liveship books are mentioned in Tawny man. They do not show up in Farseer, although a different type of fantastical beast does.

I've heard that Robin Hobb is currently working on a stand-alone book about the Rain Wilds, though, which sounds awfully cool.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2008, 10:47 AM   #31
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

The Soldier Son trilogy is 1. Shaman's Crossing, 2. Forest Mage and 3. Renegade's Magic. It is about Nevare who in the 1st book goes to military academy and finds himself in the midst of a speck plague. He survives. In the 2nd book he travels home then out to the outermost reaches of the kingdom where he becomes a grave digger. I have not started book 3 yet. It's unusual and interesting to say the least. A little hard to get into at first but the 2nd one starts to suck you into his world.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2008, 03:37 PM   #32
Mary
Inactive

I have read Shaman's crossing now and I have bought Forest Mage. I didn't know the third book was out so I may try to get that in the next 2 weeks before I go on holiday. They will make good holiday reading.