A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Nov 1 2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Sanderson Gathering Storm

The Gathering Storm is now out in bookstores. It is the first of 3 books by Sanderson to complete the Wheel of Time series begun by Robert Jordan.
I am currently rereading the serie (up to book 6) so have not read this yet. Did see part of a review claiming it was one of the top 3 in the series (in that person's opinion)
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Sanderson Gathering Storm

I'm on COS, my husband on POD... eagerly hoping to get a copy for christmas, and I've already been reading all the spoilers I can.

I get the impression the prose itself has its flaws, but the continuation of plot and characterisation more than makes up for it.

Pay close attention to [character's name in white in case you don't even want to see this much]----Verin---- as you re-read, that's all I'm going to say....
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3 2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

I have been anyway since the reread esp since I read New Spring...Alanna just bonded Rand in Lord of Chaos (where I am now)....
Old Nov 4 2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

Ah-ha! I saw this at my local bookstore and thought "hmmm, must check to see if I've read it yet..." and have forgotten, so this answers my question! It might have to be an early Christmas present to myself.

I have persisted with the story all these years and have found the last few books to be quite good. There was a low spot during some of the middle books where the pace was crawling, I thought, but a reread of a few of them at one point made it make more sense. I've been waiting for these last one/s before complete a reread to see how it all fits together, but perhaps I should be starting again anyway before I get to them.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

I have completed the reread of the Wheel of Time series and finished A Gathering Storm this am. I cannot imagine a better writer than Sanderson to complete Jordan's epic work. Any additions that Sanderson put in fit seamlessly within the work of Jordan. IF the last two volumes (Towers of Midnight and A Memory of LIght) are as good than both fans and Jordan's work will be well served.
Old Nov 23 2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Joz
Inactive

I'm currently about 300 pages into A Gathering Storm and enjoying it very much. I think he explains things a little more than Jordan did and makes it easier to understand the direction of the plot. As I'm not a WoT fanatic this doesn't bother me at all, I'm just going to be happy to find out what happens! And if the journey along the way is enjoyable then all to the better. I have a feeling that I'm going to be itching for the next one as soon as I finish it.
Old Nov 23 2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

I'm on Winter's Heart in my re-read right now, and the hubby is slogging through Crossroads of Twilight for the first time. Yay for the taint being cleansed. Boo for the boring, boring, boring chapters spent on Elayne, and the Kin, and the Seafolk. I've told him to stick it out and that it picks up the pace again in Knife of Dreams, but he's finding it slow going right now!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2009, 11:35 PM   #8
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

your comments made me smile...i saw someone refer to the capture of Faile and her rescue by Perrin as The Subplot of Doom I freely admit that I skip whole segments in my re reading on that point
Old Dec 25 2009, 06:42 AM   #9
Joz
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: Sanderson Gathering Storm

Just completed the book and would like to say it is quite good. Things are starting to come together at last! The only bit that seemed out of place was Mat's encounter of the cursed 'zombie' village, still not sure why or what that had to do with anything.

Here's hoping the next one isn't too far away!
Old Dec 26 2009, 02:20 PM   #10
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

According to his website/blog he is about 78% done with Towers of Midnight so expects it to be in bookstores by late October/Early November 2010
Old Dec 27 2009, 09:56 AM   #11
Joz
Inactive

A year! That's not too bad, especially if its the same size as The Gathering Storm.
Old Mar 2 2010, 09:11 AM   #12
Emma-Jayde
Inactive

Fan of: Pern and Crystal Singer
Now Reading: LotR, when I have the time.

Bit late to throw in my 2 cents worth here, but OMG BOOK 12! Some great surprises there...
As a long time WoT fan I've been waiting a while for this, especially since the terrible news of RJ passing away.

But yeah, a year is really not too bad... Especially since RJ apparently left such detailed manuscript to be completed.

I did find books 9 and 10 particularly slow though... I still think the first four were the best...
Emma-Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote