A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 24 2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Favorite F'lar scene...

What is your favorite F'lar scene in any of the *Pern* books???

What...in your opinion... is his most important scene, in any of the stories??

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Favorite F'lar scene...

I have to say that my favorite and one of the most exciting scenes that F'lar is in is the fight with Fax. There is so much that hinges on that scene....will Fax or F'lar win the fight.....will Gemma's baby be stillborn or live.....will Lessa and her powers be discovered.....will Ruatha be able to be brought to its former greatness or fall to further ruin....will Lessa get Ruatha back or will something better happen in her future......................
I always see so much color even tho Ruatha had to be dull and gray.....color being the visitors' clothing......now and then light flashing off the weapons in the candle light......the tense postures of the other dragonriders...........
Lots of things packed into that scene, for me anyway.
Old Jun 24 2009, 03:33 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Oh... so many, but I think the scene where he first can act as Weyrleader after so long a wait, when R'gul is trying to act as usual and F'lar says he is out of order, is one of my absolute favourites.

Oh, and the one when he is telling to Larad their ladies are guests of the Weyr and that they apprehended the mountain men, when the Lord Holders march on Benden, with the host of dragons behind him...

Oh and F'lar desperately researching the musty old records for data on how to fight too much Thread with not enough dragons...

Oh and... uh...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

I will have to mull it over but agree that when F'lar first becomes Weyrleader and can begin to institute his ideas are great...When he confronts Larad and others prior to threadfall to get their support (but I can see him roll his eyes when thread falls and they all come rushing to his side hee hee
I guess that reminds me of the Telgar wedding and the second duel when he goes to fight thread even though wounded and all of Pern (present there) make him THE WEYRLEADER of PERN
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

My favorite scene has got to be the one Hans already mentioned- the scene where F'lar first becomes Weyrleader and "kidnaps" the Lady Holders (or rather has the other dragonriders do it), while he confronts the soldiers marching on Benden. I love he reminds the riders that there will be no heroics that day, and that they are "sworn to protect". What he leaves unsaid says a lot; this isn't to be a all-out war.F'lar chooses to "re-educate" in a non-violent way, and personally I think that is so cool.

I even use that scene as a direct quote in one of the essays that are my thesis project to help illustrate the concept of "non-violent revolution". In this waY I think F'lar joins the ranks of Ghandi, MLK, and Abbie Hoffman, only his "revolution" is fictional.

Also, I am a hopeless romantic, and the scene were he and Lessa kiss (make out?) before he goes and fights the first Threadfall is. . . yeah. . .kinda cool. "He kissed her deeply and passionately as if all her sweetness must come with him." Yes!!

OK, moving on. . . Can we have "favorite F'nor scene" thread? It's only faikr to include him, too.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2009, 01:21 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Ooooooh...so many fantastic, favorite scenes...now all I have to do is pick one...!!!

Yes Weyrlady...I do think I'm going to have to ask this question about
many, many other Pern characters... again and again and... etc...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 25 2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

"Aha, but you can't make mistakes, Benden, not while-"

"Not while I have you."

I know it's a seemingly insiginifcant scene, but that one from DQ, is the most memorable for me. It's such a small part, yet it really gave me insight into who F'lar *is* as a mate and lover; its like a glimpse into just how deeply he loves Lessa, and after growing so used to seeing him as that strong, reserved Weyrleader, it just really struck a chord with me (and I've even used it when I write him in my little oneshots).

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2009, 08:15 AM   #8
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

well bits that i found very amusing were when F'lar arrives just in time for Ramoth's mating flight - hehe poor R'gul...

and when Lessa brought back the oldtimers and he shakes her.. then notices all the other dragons and riders... hehe
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2009, 08:53 AM   #9
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

The one that always comes to mind when I think of F'lar is when he comes upon Lessa when she's with Ramoth. She doesn't know he's there, so her position is unguarded and he sees the love in her whole demeanor for her dragon.

And he wishes it were him.

Another is when he realizes F'nor has gone to the REd Star, knows that Brekke put him up to it, and gives her "such a look of hate that she reels". It speaks of how much he cares for his brother, and plumbs depths of him that we don't know. That he *is* capable of pure hatred, even if it is misplaced.

And last, when Thread is falling in the South, and he does nothing because he wants to see how the Grubs work. It's killing him (and Mnementh) to not fight Thread, but he has to stand firm. Of course, the fact that the plants heal themselves is pretty awe-inspiring to him, too.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Sandi

It's hard to think of a F'lar moment that would translate into a good portrait. My first thought was the time when, as the new Weyrleader, F'lar sat on his dragon's neck and looked out at the gathered wings just before they went to meet their first Fall. Not really close-up portrait material, I know.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I think F'lar confronting the Weyrleaders, just after smacking down R'gul, is probably the best of all.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

Might have to finagle one ....thinking of F'Lar going back into time and seeing his younger self when R'gul became Weyrleader after his dad died...and his determination to someday become the Weyrleader....Maybe F'lar looking toward the Red Star in contemplation of all he needed to accomplish?
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2009, 11:16 PM   #13
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Without a doubt when F'lar confronts the dissident army before Benden Weyr with the revelation of just what you can do with air power if you're a ruthless SOB. Putting the snatch on the Lords' families and their mountaineers was masterful, as was panicking the Lords' mounts with the proximity of so many dragons. Masterful, as was capitalizing on Ramoth and Lessa in flight. From that single moment (coupled with his later vindication about the coming of Thread) flows all of F'lar's power as the military dictator of Pern. In that single instant he established a moral and morale ascendancy over the dirt-side portion of Pern's populace. Acting with utmost rectitude thereafter cemented his position as a benevolent tyrant. When he later broke the power of the Old Timers, there were no more rivals with a shred of potential legitimacy in the eyes of the general population. To deny that general affirmation would become tantamount to heresy, effectively marginalizing anyone opposed to F'lar. Hence a big reason for the resentment and frustration of Toric and his faction because they know (at least in the back of their minds) that they cannot openly oppose F'lar because they cannot achieve mass popular backing.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Jun 25 2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: edit
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2009, 11:17 PM   #14
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameCat View Post
well bits that i found very amusing were when F'lar arrives just in time for Ramoth's mating flight - hehe poor R'gul...
Must admit I like that one too. No sympathy for R'gul however. I hate cheaters.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Jun 25 2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: edit
Old Jun 25 2009, 11:19 PM   #15
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
The one that always comes to mind when I think of F'lar is when he comes upon Lessa when she's with Ramoth. She doesn't know he's there, so her position is unguarded and he sees the love in her whole demeanor for her dragon.

And he wishes it were him.

Another is when he realizes F'nor has gone to the REd Star, knows that Brekke put him up to it, and gives her "such a look of hate that she reels". It speaks of how much he cares for his brother, and plumbs depths of him that we don't know. That he *is* capable of pure hatred, even if it is misplaced.

And last, when Thread is falling in the South, and he does nothing because he wants to see how the Grubs work. It's killing him (and Mnementh) to not fight Thread, but he has to stand firm. Of course, the fact that the plants heal themselves is pretty awe-inspiring to him, too.
You have a good eye for imagery.
Old Jun 26 2009, 12:26 AM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...his personal duels seems to have played a huge part of his own and Pern's destiny...but I don't think that was his most important contibution to Pern or Anne's stories.

Hans, Weyrlady and Anareth...I agree with all of you...I think most of us enjoying thinking of him...as Pern's great leader and hero...reluctantly taking charge, while trying to guide all the people of Pern into a better way of life. Perhaps standing at the head of Weyr's council table, surrounded by all the Craft leaders and Lords of Pern...while he proposes his inovative ideas to help saved the planet Pern.

Emeraldrose...the Telgar Wedding...and another brave duel...along with his incredible rallying of the Weyrleaders, the Lord Holders and the people of Pern to work together to save the planet...now that scene gives me chills. I think the scene where he goes back in time to his youth is a touching one...one that aids in his determination to save Pern...but not a scene that you generally think of or picture when F'lar comes to mind.

Sammy...LOL... you are a young romantic...wink !!! Just to let you know that when I do his portrait, F'lar is going to be fully dressed...ROTFL!!!

Flamecat and Electric Dragon...you mean the scene where F'lar leans up against the wall causally when Lessa calls him in for Ramoth's 1st mating flight...I love that one.

Sandi...Yes...you are right, I am putting together everything I need to finally do a portrait of F'lar.

Old Jun 26 2009, 01:21 PM   #17
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Sandi...Yes...you are right, I am putting together everything I need to finally do a portrait of F'lar.
For it to be a revealing portrait of F'lar, you will need Mnementh in the picture somewhere, which would probably remove the duels, as they are inside. For a portrait of F'lar, I'd like to see him on Mnementh, confronting Larad, almost immediately after he replace R'gul as Weyrleader.

Now the question is, who will be your inspiration for F'lar?

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Sandi

I like the idea Emeraldrose had. F'lar and Mnementh contemplating the Red Star.
Old Jun 26 2009, 09:34 PM   #19
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
You have a good eye for imagery.
Why thank you!
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2009, 02:17 AM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sandi...Yes, I do have to say.... like Emeraldrose's idea too !!!

GHarris...to do a portrait of F'lar riding Mnementh, would be very difficult...as you wouldn't see much of F'lar's face. That has always been one of my more difficult challenges, how to show the dragon and the rider together, and still be able to see the riders face clearly.
Quote:
Now the question is, who will be your inspiration for F'lar?
To answer your question...F'lar, will be his own inspiration, it is after all his portrait...!!! It just might not be how you, or some others see him...but it will be how he shows himself to me [I can hardly wait to see what he looks like]....so far thats still a little foggy...but it's getting clearer and clearer all the time, especially with all the incredible and helpful information I have gathered from all his other MoMer fans !!!

Old Jun 27 2009, 06:31 PM   #21
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Sandi...Yes, I do have to say.... like Emeraldrose's idea too !!!

GHarris...to do a portrait of F'lar riding Mnementh, would be very difficult...as you wouldn't see much of F'lar's face. That has always been one of my more difficult challenges, how to show the dragon and the rider together, and still be able to see the riders face clearly.
I didn't say it had to be riding. F'lar and Mnementh's head would be enough to show a meaning look between the two.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2009, 11:13 PM   #22
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
Why thank you!
Credit where it's due.
Old Jun 27 2009, 11:18 PM   #23
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:

I'm not an artist so I may be misusing the term, but perhaps an application of some sort of forced perspective might be in order. Disney does it all the time with physical structures and I believe it is also applicable to 2D visuals as well.

My thought is something like looking up at F'lar on Mnementh's neck, with much of the foreground being consumed with Mnementh's face, or perhaps half of his face. Assume that Mnementh has turned his head somewhat to the side and/or has a serpentine bend in his neck to place his head on that particular sight line, so that one is looking past him at F'lar. If using half of Mnementh's face, a little clever use of shadow might also permit showing about half, maybe a little more of F'lar's face as an interesting parallel: dragon and rider the same.

My thought is the perspective of someone like Larad, looking up at Mnementh who is looking to the side and down, with F'lar visible past him. Depending on the exact angle chosen, one could give an impression of looking up at more or less severe of an elevation, as at a dragon and rider merely looming over you on the ground, or hovering menacingly above. Showing part of a rearing and panicked mount's head at the opposite lower corner with rolling eyes and frothing around the bit would be a heck of an action perspective.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Jun 27 2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: trim quote and addition
Old Jun 28 2009, 07:17 PM   #24
DragonDance
Inactive

The first ones that come to mind are taking weyr leadership by the horns and essentailly starting down R'gul, and the confrontation with the holders. I can see F'lar, sitting on Mnementh, lookign intimidating to the point of being rediculous, trying so be serious and threatening enough to get his point across without stoking the flames for any more conflict, and yet trying to hide a smile at how he outmaneuvered him. Looking down from his great mount at Larad on his horse---Mnementh's FOOD, for the shell's sake---there had to be an inkling in the back of F'lar's mind: "He can't be serious. You gotta be kidding me."

For a portrait, an action shot of him dismounting would be kinda neat.
DragonDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2009, 08:24 PM   #25
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I would love to see F'lar on teh ground in front of Mnementh, with the wings (browns and blues, wasn't it?) with their Lady-hostages above. And for dramatic license, Lessa and Ramoth popping in early?
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2009, 01:16 AM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Gharris...For a portrait of F'lar, I'd like to see him on Mnementh, confronting Larad, almost immediately after he replace R'gul as Weyrleader.
Sorry *G* but you did say you wanted to see F'lar *ON* Mnementh...since this is suppose to be a portrait of *F'lar*, that means F'lar's face should take presidence, in whatever I put together. But I also would like to have Mnementh in it some how...I just don't know how I am going to do it yet. I do want to thank you for your suggestions though...

Old Jun 29 2009, 01:16 AM   #27
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

ElectricDragon...I just don't work with the size of equipment needed, to put in all of what you suggest, I put into this project...and the perspective of all of it would be mind boggleing to acheive for me. Besides this is suppose to be a portrait of F'lar...hopefully with some part of Mnementh in it. You just can't put a dragon that huge in the same space, as you can a human face...no mater what the perspective you use...trust, me I've tired...but I do appriciate your grand suggestions.

Old Jun 29 2009, 01:17 AM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dragondance...thank you kindly for your comments...I love that scene too.

Anareth...my friend...thank you for your wonderful suggestion...that would be a terrific scene for me to put together...but like I said above...I just don't work in that grand of size, to be able to put all of that in *F'lar's* portrait. I think for that scene we will all have to wait for the movie.

NOTE:
I wanted to know what everyones favorite scene was, so that I could see how *F'lar* was seen by all of you...seems that most of us see him generally the same way...Strong, proud and a true leader. Hopefully I will be able to put all of that in his portrait...along with Mnementh...somehow!!!

Old Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM   #29
Sandi

Master Maelin, you can't please all the people all the time but I'm sure that, given your amazing talent and dedication, however you portray him will be magnificent! I can hardly wait to see how it comes out!
Old Jun 29 2009, 07:56 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you kindly my friend for your lovely compliments...I do try as hard as I know how to make the character drawings as close to what Anne has discribed as I can...and that has been made a whole lot easier, by asking other fans what they also think about each one. It may not turn out anything like what has been suggested...but more often that I can say, it does lead me to widen my thought patterns...and thats always good for me, in coming up with more and better ideas.

Old Jun 30 2009, 03:11 AM   #31
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Maelin, your portrait of F'lar will be awesome and like Sandy, I can't wait to see it!

Quote:
you are a young romantic...wink !!! Just to let you know that when I do his portrait, F'lar is going to be fully dressed...ROTFL!!!
Awwww, man, too bad! (You do what U want!)

Anyway, I was thinking about F'lar's portrait in People of Pern, and what I like most about it the intensity and emotion of his gaze. As a photographer, I am sensitive to these things. . . the eyes have it in that portrait, and personally I think that's one of the most powerful in the book for that reason. The tough part behind portraiture is capturing an essence of the person, and evoking an emotional response from the viewer. I really like Shalyn 's idea, because the emotion in his eyes at that moment has got to be something. As an artist, there's so much you can do to bring that out, and help connect the audience to the subject.

Of course, it also helps that he's not bad to look at.

If F'lar were my portrait subject, I'd put him in his natural environment- outside, in the weyr bowl, with Benden's peaks surrounding him, but in the background. With Mnementh, preferably. Some light's going to reflect off Mnementh's hide- but that's OK, he'll act as a natural golden-toned reflector. Actually, the more I think about that, the more I like it. The color reflecting off Mnementh will help warm up F'lar's skin tones nicely, and put a nice catchlight in his eyes. Just natural light, no strobes or anything fancy. I'd also ask Canth, nicely, to spread a wing over the scene to shade it, and cut out harsh shadows.
Old Jul 1 2009, 01:25 AM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Weyrlady...LOL...it's really very hard to get the strobes to work in portraits...LOL

Seriously though...I do agree, capturing the essence of a person...what makes them special to others, is so very difficult to do as an artist. I have had some little luck with finding that in some of my Pern Characters, and a few times with Anne's portraits...but when it's all finished.... each person sees the characters and also Anne, in their own light, and it might not be the same as anyone elses light.
Thank you so much for your very interesting suggestions...I'll add them to the rest and see what happens...wink!!!

All I can say is... that I always try my very best, if for nothing more than my great love for Anne's stories, and when I've finished with each portrait, at least I know *I*love each and everyone of them and I'm more than happy to share them with any other of Anne's fans, that might enjoy seeing them too.

P.S. A naked *F'lar*...oh my eyes, my eyes...OH MY's................

Old Jul 1 2009, 03:20 AM   #33
Hans
Master Archivist

A naked F'lar? I don't think Martin would agree...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1 2009, 08:33 AM   #34
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

... especially if he's 'requested' to model for it!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2 2009, 12:02 AM   #35
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well now boys...Martin has modeled before for me many, many, many times...but we just can't seem to finish any of him naked.........

Old Jul 2 2009, 02:20 AM   #36
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
P.S. A naked *F'lar*...oh my eyes, my eyes...OH MY's................
Oh now, he doesn't have to be fully naked- this isn't art school-we're just enjoying an athletic male form.

Just have Mnementh use his tail to shield some crucial bits. This is, after all, a family-friendly forum. Either that, or have him washing Mnementh or something and be partially dressed, and no worries about "crucial bits"

Quote:
Weyrlady...LOL...it's really very hard to get the strobes to work in portraits...LOL
Ah, I'm an incurable photographer; bet you can tell! I think about light all the time. Don't mind me- the one over here in the corner, playing w/ the strobes and reflectors and such.

Personally, I've never tried to make a portrait of anybody naked. So therefore I have no experience in that particular area.YOU GO GIRL!!
Old Jul 2 2009, 07:35 PM   #37
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Weyrlady...I can promise you...and Dragongirl....that my *F'lar* will have ALL his clothes on....

Old Jul 2 2009, 11:49 PM   #38
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Ah, then it'll be up to our imaginations! Cool. . .
Old Jul 7 2009, 11:13 AM   #39
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I think imagination is a necessary requirement for reading any of Anne's stories...as well as for creating any and all of my portraits.

Old Jul 7 2009, 06:31 PM   #40
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Must admit I like that one too. No sympathy for R'gul however. I hate cheaters.
ah true... but his irritation at his plan being foiled is wonderful..
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote