A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Mar 8 2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey
Default Who's Painting is This?

My sister sent me this painting in an e-mail for my Birthday. She said that she found it on the internet but cannot remember where. The image is titled ATWOP-Bronzie.

It is obviously a re-painted version of the American cover to All the Weyrs of Pern. Its style reminds me of the art done by Micah Johnson so is this your art Spaceman Spiff?

Whoever did it, I think it is beautiful and wanted to share
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Default Re: Who's Painting is This?

That does indeed looks like Bronzie's ("Spaceman Spiff" here) redux of Whelan's AtWoP. I recently been to his Deviant Artists page & didn't see it there, but it might be in his photobucket account??
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

The title of this original work of art by the American artist Michael Whelan is Weyrworld. Maybe I am understanding you wrong, but this is not by Micah Johnson (aka Bronzerider aka Spaceman Spiff), this is the original. Mind you, you have only a part of the original here.

You can see Whelan's Pern Art here: http://www.pern.nl/art_gallery/official/whelan.html

Your sister can have found it in a myriad places as it is a pretty famous piece, one of the few of which posters are still sold, I think (you can also see the poster in my Pern Art Gallery).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Hans--that's not the original. Look at your own page, look at the head on Whelan's Ruth, and look at this one.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah... Oops, yes this one is tweaked a little

Thanks, Anareth!

Pure sacrilege

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 9 2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Anareth's right. And, if I'm not mistaken, the moons are not right - on the original, they're on the left of Ruth, but on this, they're on the right.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Brenda

"Find six differences..."
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2010, 04:55 PM   #8
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Ruth's left wing is also in a different relationship to the 'brain tree' behind it (perhaps it's meant to be in Essex UK)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Yes, this is my work I painted it for the KT art competition several years ago, that must have been where it was picked up from, or the photobucket account for it, as that is the only place it's ever been posted by me.

Although thanks for the heads up Ryuu, I had completely forgotten that I'd never uploaded it to deviantart! I'll do that soon, with a watermark to show that it's my work.

To completely clarify, this is 100 percent painted from scratch in photoshop, it is not merely a manipulation on Whelan's work. I referenced Weyrworld to the extreme, but I did paint all of it myself (with the help of a couple filters ) My goal was to replicate Whelan's work as closely as possible, but make Ruth more accurately Pernese, to my imagination anyway.

I guess I succeeded - I'm astonished that Hans mistook it for Whelan's original piece!
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
"Find six differences..."
spoiler list:Aside from the shape of Ruth's head and end of his tail changed to fit Anne's descriptions of the Enhanced Pernese natives, all the other dragons & their perches are gone, horizon is different, moons are moved over Ruth's perch, tree is smaller beneath the left wing, muscles on the wings members are more pronounced, & tail is 18% shorter.

I think that counts as 7

Last edited by Ryuu; Mar 9 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old Mar 9 2010, 06:07 PM   #11
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Yes, this is my work I painted it for the KT art competition several years ago, that must have been where it was picked up from, or the photobucket account for it, as that is the only place it's ever been posted by me.

Although thanks for the heads up Ryuu, I had completely forgotten that I'd never uploaded it to deviantart! I'll do that soon, with a watermark to show that it's my work.

To completely clarify, this is 100 percent painted from scratch in photoshop, it is not merely a manipulation on Whelan's work. I referenced Weyrworld to the extreme, but I did paint all of it myself (with the help of a couple filters ) My goal was to replicate Whelan's work as closely as possible, but make Ruth more accurately Pernese, to my imagination anyway.

I guess I succeeded - I'm astonished that Hans mistook it for Whelan's original piece!
Holy shit! You did REALLY damned good, then! It fooled me, too!
Old Mar 9 2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
Anareth's right. And, if I'm not mistaken, the moons are not right - on the original, they're on the left of Ruth, but on this, they're on the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Ruth's left wing is also in a different relationship to the 'brain tree' behind it (perhaps it's meant to be in Essex UK)
Yes. I love the double moons, but I needed the image centered on Ruth. I moved them over so I could keep them in the picture. And I made the wings slightly larger, which is why they look different in relation to the tree behind it.
Old Mar 9 2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Holy shit! You did REALLY damned good, then! It fooled me, too!
I thought I made it clear on the KT when I entered it! Either way, thank you
Old Mar 9 2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
I thought I made it clear on the KT when I entered it! Either way, thank you
I remember seeing the picture back then, that's why I recognized it was your work, but I forgot that you said you did from scratch & you're welcome--awesome job there!!
Old Mar 9 2010, 09:21 PM   #15
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

One way of getting Spiffy and Ryuu back, haven't seen much of either of you lately so welcome back. Like the pictorial viewpoint, Spiff, WELL DONE!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2010, 11:21 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I would have thought someone would have commented on the eye color [green...Whelan's are blue] or the beautiful face of Ruth,...Spiffy's has much more expression than the one Whelan did, and the Pern Dragon head knobs is diffenantly Spiffy's work...no head knobs on Whelans Dragon...also the tail a Pern dragon tail split...no split on Whelan's.
This is one of Spiffy's best Pern works...although all of his work is incredibly fantastic in my opinion.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2010, 12:02 AM   #17
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Spiffy's Ruth also has a more equine head than Whelan's. And the wing muscles on Spiffy's Ruth seem to me better suited for keeping the dragon aloft. Love Whelan's art...don't get me wrong....but Spiffy's does indeed seem to better picture Anne's dragon description. Great job Spiff!
Old Mar 10 2010, 02:47 AM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Although you wrought well that was simply a case of not paying enough attention, Spiff

Old Mar 10 2010, 05:11 AM   #19
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Now Reading: Restoree
Thumbs up Re: Who's Painting is This?

I really like what you have done with this painting Spiff. Like Lady M said, this Ruth has far more expression in his face then Whelan's does. And, like Lady M, I noticed the difference in eye colour straight away. The only thing I might have done differently, is to keep the eyes blue instead of green. I think it would have looked better (more noticable, as the green eyes kind of blend in) due to the green brain tree thingy behind Ruth's head. I wonder if the eyes had stayed blue, if the expression you achieved on Ruth's face would have been lost? Maybe the expression is heightened because his eyes are green? Also just noticed he actually has an eyeball, which Whelan's did not. Maybe that is the difference... Looking at Whelan's one, Ruth's eyes look a little glassy.

Geez... I'm rambling... sorry...

All things said & done, I likes it!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2010, 09:52 AM   #20
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
One way of getting Spiffy and Ryuu back, haven't seen much of either of you lately so welcome back. Like the pictorial viewpoint, Spiff, WELL DONE!
I know, I'm terrible for being absent for so long Thank Cheryl for giving me a poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
This is one of Spiffy's best Pern works...although all of his work is incredibly fantastic in my opinion.
Thanks I reeeeaaaally wish I could do more paintings like this, it just takes so incredibly long to do And for a very detailed piece, it's very hard (for me, at least) to do an original piece without extensive reference - and there isn't exactly a lot of reference for dragons Despite this one being drawn from scratch, it's still just looking back and forth at the original painting and copying, with some tweaking here and there. It doesn't give as much satisfaction as something original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I really like what you have done with this painting Spiff. Like Lady M said, this Ruth has far more expression in his face then Whelan's does. And, like Lady M, I noticed the difference in eye colour straight away. The only thing I might have done differently, is to keep the eyes blue instead of green. I think it would have looked better (more noticable, as the green eyes kind of blend in) due to the green brain tree thingy behind Ruth's head. I wonder if the eyes had stayed blue, if the expression you achieved on Ruth's face would have been lost? Maybe the expression is heightened because his eyes are green? Also just noticed he actually has an eyeball, which Whelan's did not. Maybe that is the difference... Looking at Whelan's one, Ruth's eyes look a little glassy.

Geez... I'm rambling... sorry...

All things said & done, I likes it!
I chose to change his eyes to green because Ruth is already pretty blue-hued from all the reflection of sky and clouds, and I thought having green eyes would keep Ruth from being too blue-dominated.

You can't tell in the image here, but in the full-sized painting his eyes were faceted. The resizing kind of blurs it all together I'm not sure what you mean by Whelan's Ruth not having an eyeball?
Old Mar 10 2010, 01:58 PM   #21
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Well, all of this said, I like the painting too, although I must admit that I myself didn’t see the difference when I first saw the picture, and thought it’s Michael’s, and even when I compared them the only thing I saw different where the said moons.
Oh, well.
And since we’re comparing the pictures, and finding what’s different, like Brenda said, should we move this to the Games and Miscellany part of the forum?

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2010, 05:20 PM   #22
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
I've always been ketch reading, just not always responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
I would have thought someone would have commented on the eye color [green...Whelan's are blue] or the beautiful face of Ruth,...Spiffy's has much more expression than the one Whelan did, and the Pern Dragon head knobs is diffenantly Spiffy's work...no head knobs on Whelans Dragon...also the tail a Pern dragon tail split...no split on Whelan's.
Whelan certainly knows dragons All his paintings for Anne pulls the reader into the stories like no other cover artist has done for Anne. That cover for DF certainly expresses the awesome power, grace, and beauty the depicted scene of Lessa & Ramoth leading the Weyrs forward would inspire. TWD's cover gives us that sense of nobility and determination that Jaxom & Ruth have. And while Anne always expressed appreciation for his work, she sometimes pointed out the minor flaws that didn't quite match her descriptions. Bronzie made those adjustments & a well done job, too!
Quote:
You can't tell in the image here, but in the full-sized painting his eyes were faceted. The resizing kind of blurs it all together I'm not sure what you mean by Whelan's Ruth not having an eyeball?
Any way you can get a higher-res scan of your painting online?
Old Mar 10 2010, 07:01 PM   #23
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

I'm glad everyone likes this picture and I am especially glad to find that my first guess as to who the artist was was correct.

The Michael Whelan painting "Wyerworld" is one of my favorates, I even have a checkbook with that painting on it (containing matching checks) but I like Spiff's version better .

I am thinking of writing a Pern role playing game for GURPS 4th edition as the 3rd edition Gurps Pern is no longer online. It will be a free download (of course) at Scribid.com but I still wonder if this type of project falls under Anne's Fanfiction/ online RPG rules? I wrote to Annie's e-mail adress to ask but have not recieved an answer yet.

If it's O.K. Spiff could I use this picture as the cover painting? I will give proper credit of course.
Old Mar 10 2010, 08:59 PM   #24
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Quote:
I've always been ketch reading, just not always responding
I've done that myself on occasions - I think the few times I haven't logged on, was due to holidays or compie troubles or if we've had an extra few busy days...

Anyway, glad you're both back and hope to see more piccy's and opinions from both of ye. It's been awhile.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11 2010, 12:50 AM   #25
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Any way you can get a higher-res scan of your painting online?
I've searched and searched my hard drive and I can't find it! I could have sworn that I worked in a hi-res version, but all the WIPs I have saved are the same size as the one here. I must have been insane to have worked on such a small image So it looks like this is the biggest it gets, unless I paint a new one

I have been considering doing renditions of some of Whelan's other covers, and doing a proper large-scale painting.
Old Mar 11 2010, 12:53 AM   #26
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Henson View Post
If it's O.K. Spiff could I use this picture as the cover painting? I will give proper credit of course.
I'll send you a new version with a watermark - but you can only use it if it's made extremely clear that this is not my original work, I don't want to steal any of Whelan's thunder. This is meant to be a tip of the hat to Whelan, not the other way around. It would be even better if you could link to Whelan's original work.
Old Mar 11 2010, 02:54 AM   #27
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: Who's Painting is This?

I also just recall something too that make so blue, no other dragons on rocks outcrops and trees in it.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11 2010, 07:48 PM   #28
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Quote:
I'll send you a new version with a watermark - but you can only use it if it's made extremely clear that this is not my original work, I don't want to steal any of Whelan's thunder. This is meant to be a tip of the hat to Whelan, not the other way around. It would be even better if you could link to Whelan's original work.
Sure Thing, I already have Whelan's website address. Thank You very much.
Old Mar 16 2010, 11:27 AM   #29
Spaceman Spiff

I tried starting on a different rendition of another Whelan painting. Thank you Tamara for getting me inspired to paint Pern again

Here's what I have so far of The White Dragon. Sorry it's so small, photobucket won't seem to let me make it any bigger.

He looked a little emaciated in the head and front limbs in Whelan's painting, so I added a little there, and changed some other things which looked a little awkward. The harness in the original didn't look quite functional either... I couldn't see how it could be strapped down and secured toward the back. He was riding back quite far and everything was strapped down only at the front around Ruth's neck, so I altered the harness too.

I'm not sure whether to keep the Red Star the way it is which looks beautiful in Whelan's, or adjust it to make it a more accurate size. It's more like a moon here than a star-like appearance.

If there's anything that looks off or that needs to be changed, please let me know so I can change it before I get too far in

Could this thread be moved to the Exhibit Hall? Or should I just split off into another thread with the new paining?[/color]
Old Mar 16 2010, 12:39 PM   #30
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
<snip>
I wonder if the eyes had stayed blue, if the expression you achieved on Ruth's face would have been lost? Maybe the expression is heightened because his eyes are green? Also just noticed he actually has an eyeball, which Whelan's did not. Maybe that is the difference... Looking at Whelan's one, Ruth's eyes look a little glassy.

<snip>
I don't think Pernese dragons are meant to have eyeballs. The eyeball is the pupil, which expands and contracts to let in more or less light. The dragons have faceted eyes and all the facets are light-sensitive --- I don't know how they keep out excessively bright light, but it would presumably have to happen in each of the facets. Or, Skies of Pern mentions nictitating eye-lids that close to protect the eyes from char (in the chapter where F'lessan is removing the stitches from Golanth's eye), so maybe they also keep out excess light.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2010, 05:12 PM   #31
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

That painting looks good to me. I think i like it better than Whelan's original too, you're right about Ruth looking emaciated.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2010, 06:07 PM   #32
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Very nice preliminary painting Spaceman Spiff. I agree that Whelan's original had way too skinny a neck and head - reminding me of of a plucked chicken more thn anything else. The only major change I can suggest is to modify Ruth's upper muzzle between the nostrils and beak tip. The beak looks a little shallow and fragile as it is now. Otherwise it looks great and I like the new harness.