A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 11 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Rhodalle
Glow

Fan of: First Fall
Default Pern MORPG (Need your opinions.)

(((EDIT: All we need now is voters to participate in our polls! We want to know what the DRoP community thinks!

Team openings: Sound, programming

Polls: http://podcreatureworkshop.weebly.co...and-polls.html
More information: http://podcreatureworkshop.weebly.co...fan-morpg.html)))

Hey, I've been furthering my education and there's been some DRoP related side-effects to 3D software exposure.

I don't intend this thing to be huge, just a project I was strongly compelled to undertake, and there are a few ways I can do so . I'm using Blender to model the avatars until I get Maya, which is a few classes away. I'm also working in Unity, and hope to upgrade to Pro in the not too distant future. For now I'm just building the components of a 3D, Pern. I've been researching my options for virtual real-estate, in the hopes of opening a virtual Pern hangout, with various locations. I know a server will be needed. Even so this is intended for a very very tiny population. Who knows what's possible as far as others who get on board and want to pull some weight in that regard, but for now my computer is new and cutting the mustard, lol. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if anyone is interested, they can read more about it by following the link. I'll see this to the end on my own if it takes 1,000 years, but if someone out there wants into this, and has the skills, I am open to share it.

http://podcreatureworkshop.weebly.co...rp-server.html

Last edited by Rhodalle; Nov 15 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Rhodalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2012, 07:53 PM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Virtual Pern Hangout

What you have so far looks good. I wish I could help you.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

This all looks fantastic, and a wonderful Pern dragon.

I really do wish you all the luck with your new project. I will keep an eye on what you put up here or one your site...your very talented, keep up the good work.

I don't know how to create these kinds of computer drawings...I still enjoy doing it all the old fashioned way...with paper and pencils...brush, paints and canvas.

I did have a look at what you put up on Youtube...that was extremely interesting to watch.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Rhodalle
Glow

Thank you so much, Lady Maelin for your kind words and well-wishes! It's especially encouraging coming from someone who's art I admire. Positive thoughts are what this project needs the most in this early stage.

Haha, I totally understand where you both are coming from. It's unavoidable circumstances that's led me down the 3D road, before that, no way! Now it's consuming me. :P

I posted about this here mainly on the off-chance that a programmer or someone into sound sees it. Looks like we've got two students in on it now, one for game design (I believe) the other for animation - me. We'll forge ahead with programming ourselves, but a third person might speed things up, is all. Other than that, we don't want to grow beyond 4 team members just to keep things organized and protect the project's content for now.

Opinions really count at this point tho! We now have a poll and a main project page that is under very frequent edit:

http://podcreatureworkshop.weebly.co...fan-morpg.html

A gallery I'm spamming project development screenshots in:
http://podcreatureworkshop.weebly.co...e-gallery.html

Thanks again.

Last edited by Rhodalle; Nov 15 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Nov 14 2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Thank You Rhodalle, for the compliments...I have greatly enjoyed creating, in my small way, some visuals of Pern... for all of my fellow MoMers to enjoy.

It does sound like things are starting to move along for you now.

I hope you find someone that knows about sound soon...I am eagerly looking forward to seeing your end results.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2018, 03:58 AM   #6
Rhodalle
Glow

Exclamation Re: Virtual Pern Hangout

I'm necromancy-ing this thread. I can't believe it's been six years. I've been in and out of school, had more kids... never really got anything from the programmer who offered help. No matter how busy I get or alone I feel in this endeavor, I have not gotten this project out of my head in all that time. I've burned the candle at both ends night after night developing resource materials for a forum-based RPG I hoped to kick off, but my ulterior motive was always to use it for this.

So the important thing to note in this update is that I've gone ahead and created a game-development page where indie developers can see and join the project to collaborate. This page even has a built in forum. It's only been up for a day, but if you know anyone who happens to both be a fan of Pern and a programmer, or uses Unity or Unreal Engine 4, please feel free to point them in this project's direction?

Dragonrider's Oath - Develteam Project
There's also this page, if you are interested in seeing the game design doc and to-do lists for an idea of exactly what it is I intend to create.

And you may just want to follow along in case this does get traction in the near future. I've been honing my skills as a 3D modeler and animator for years now and I finally feel ready to tackle a portfolio project like this. I have joined another team in the hopes of learning, but if it takes too much attention away from this I honestly might quit everything else. Six years this has been in my head... I really want to just work on it now!
Old Jun 13 2018, 08:54 AM   #7
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Good luck with that one, Rhodalle. I'm having enough trouble just finishing a simple fan-fiction without animating it too!
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animation, dragon, pern, render, virtual