A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Apr 9 2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Kitty

Default The Girl who Heard Dragons, question

Anyone know how long this book is? I borrowed it from the library and it has one chapter of the Girl who heard dragons, 64 pages long, then goes to a chapter called Velvet fields and doesn't seem to be about the same characters at all. I've read TGWHDragons before, and don't remember this stuff.

I'm almost convinced it is a messed up book, but the Chapters listed on the Chapter page have these chapters listed. Anyone know anything about this? could you give me a list of chapters in your book if you have that book?

This paperback is 379 pages long, and only the first 64 pages have any reference to dragons in them. HELP!!

thanks, Kitty
Old Apr 9 2007, 10:35 AM   #2
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint
Default Re: The Girl who Heard Dragons, question

I don't have my copy of the book with me at this moment, but as I recall it is a book filled with short stories with The Girl Who Heard Dragons being the only story about Pern in the book. I wish I could remember all the other stories in the book, but I haven't read any of them recently.

I wish I could be more help right now, but my memory is failing me somewhat right now on more specific details.
Old Apr 9 2007, 10:52 AM   #3
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I know the book you mean and it is a short story. You can read more about Arminia in renagades of Pern and the Dolphins of Pern. That short story is also in A Gift of Dragons.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

The Girl Who Heard Dragons is both a short story, an anthology (collection of short stories) and a book (an extremely expensive collectors item; go see my Collectors Highlight on it here: click).

What you borrowed from your library will have been the anthology which holds the short (Pern) story by the same name but of which the rest are miscellaneous shorts written by Anne, much like the earlier anthology Get Off the Unicorn (which also held one Pern story: The Smallest Dragonboy).

So, you should not look at the stories as chapters but as seperate stories and if you wish to read more about Aramina and Readis, you need to buy/read The Renegades of Pern and The Dolphins of Pern

Happy reading Kitty!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2007, 05:33 PM   #5
Kitty

LOL, Thanks all. the book jacket doesn't say anything about the other stories OR that it is an anthology as far as I saw. Must have been in that microscopic print in the first period of the second line. No, I just never looked for anything except info on what seemed to me to be another story. I didn't actually look for anything which said anthology. I'll have to get it out of the car and look again.

what do you all think of the other stories? Kitty
Old Apr 9 2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

I haven't read it in a long time, but I remember that I really liked the Velvet Fields one. None of the others really stand out in my mind (a.k.a. I can't remember them )
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 12:33 AM   #7
Kitty

Thanks, Firefly. I just read that one. weird. I'll see how the others go. Kitty
Old Apr 11 2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Brenda

I remember I did the exact same thing when I first found that book! Do read the stories. Some are a little strange, but if you only read one other be sure to read "The Greatest Love" - it's my favorite of that collection.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12 2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Kitty

You know, Brenda, I did read the rest of the book and that story seemed familiar. Maybe I read this anthology in the past. Still my favorite is THe Girl who talked to Dragons. I'm not into creepy stories like the Velvet Fields. After I read the book, I took it back and borrowed the Renegades just to get the whole story again. I sure am going to miss the Pern stories if Anne is not writing anymore.

I still miss Louis Lamour since he died, and a couple other writers I enjoyed so much. Thanks for your recommendation. that was a good story. Kitty
Old Apr 12 2007, 11:17 AM   #10
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I miss Louis Lamour also, My Dad and I use to fight over who would read his books first. He usealy won. and I know this is off topic

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12 2007, 01:26 PM   #11
Brenda

"The Greatest Love" was printed in a collection with some other authors' stories as well; I don't know the title.
Old Apr 12 2007, 04:31 PM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

It's published in "Futurelove", Brenda, an anthology edited by the wellknown Roger Elwood.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2007, 08:08 PM   #13
Brenda

Thanks!